inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: utah mall shooting rampage

Written By: annonymouse on 02/13/07 at 10:29 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/13/salt.lake.shooting.ap/index.html

what angers me is the fact that this will be heavily blamed on videogames. there is a game called dead rising where you kill zombies in a mall, and it will probably be unfairly blamed for the incident. the next few weeks will be paradise for anti-video game politicians like jack thompson.

Subject: Re: utah mall shooting rampage

Written By: Davester on 02/14/07 at 12:32 am

There were two shootings of this nature yesterday.  The other was in Philly...

I'm of the opinion that first person shoot-em-up games simply exist. They do nothing.  If a person of any age is unable to distinguish between fantasy and reality, we must wonder why.  Rather, we're entitled to wonder why...

But it's like anything else - you have to choose to shoot someone in reality.  You have to choose to have a problem with something, and choose to settle it with a gun...

Soapbox.  I wish my laundry were this interesting... 

Didn't the Army once use a modified version of Battle Zone to train tank crews and their Chinese counterparts, Pong..?

Written By: Tia on 02/14/07 at 12:37 am

"Sulejmen Talovic wanted "to kill a large number of people" and probably would have killed many more if not for the off-duty officer who confronted him Monday evening, Police Chief Chris Burbank said.

That officer, Ken Hammond, from Ogden, north of Salt Lake City, heard gunfire shortly after finishing dinner with his wife. "

and thus are heroes made. rock on ken, my brutha.

Written By: Davester on 02/14/07 at 12:45 am

and thus are heroes made. rock on ken, my brutha.

Werd...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/07 at 10:29 am

Gotta blame the video games.  There's no Constitutional right to bear video games!
:D

Written By: Jessica on 02/14/07 at 10:42 am

Bah. No one has even brought up stupid video games yet. And if they do, that's their problem. Any intelligent person knows that video games do not cause people to go off the railings. You have to be pretty nucking futs already to kill people like that.

Kudos for that off duty cop who kept the jackass at bay until the other boys in blue arrived.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/14/07 at 10:54 am

It's okay to shoot Locust and Flood and terrorists in video games because they're pixels.  Not okay to do so in real life. 

Simple.

Utah guy was nuts, glad someone took him down.

Written By: La Roche on 02/14/07 at 11:07 am

Right, I love how video games, movies and music get blamed for people killing.

I watch loads of violent music, play violent video games and listen to the most agressive music known to man.. I don't kill anybody. (cept commies)

It takes a special individual to feel they can end somebody's existence simply because they find something about them disagreeable. They're not created by video games and movies, they're created by tiny genetic slip up's, getting ass fuucked by Daddy until the age of 14 and finding Ma dead of a heroin overdose at the age of 9.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/07 at 11:08 am

It's okay to shoot Locust and Flood and terrorists in video games because they're pixels.  Not okay to do so in real life. 

Simple.

Utah guy was nuts, glad someone took him down.

That's basically it.  Pixels are not people.  Too bad the nutjob had to lose his life, but when you're on a rampage taking the lives of others, you might just forfeit your own.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/07 at 11:12 am

I watch loads of violent music, play violent video games and listen to the most agressive music known to man.. I don't kill anybody. (cept commies)

Uh, the "commies" still at large in this country tend to be effete grad students.  You don't need guns.  A band of fifth graders armed with snowballs could take 'em down!  Believe me, I've been affiliated with both American commies and snowball-throwing fifth graders!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/14/07 at 11:12 am

I'm a grad student too.  I hate commies. 

Written By: Tia on 02/14/07 at 11:18 am

getting ass fuucked by Daddy until the age of 14 and finding Ma dead of a heroin overdose at the age of 9.
heck, didn't hurt ME none.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/07 at 11:38 am

I'm a grad student too.  I hate commies. 

Of course, I wasn't saying all grad students are commies...not even all effete grad students!
:D

Written By: La Roche on 02/14/07 at 12:04 pm

Uh, the "commies" still at large in this country tend to be effete grad students.  You don't need guns.  A band of fifth graders armed with snowballs could take 'em down!  Believe me, I've been affiliated with both American commies and snowball-throwing fifth graders!

I'll set my dog on em.

Written By: saver on 02/14/07 at 1:40 pm

ANYONE SHOOTING A GUN FOR NEFARIOUS,(okay, I lost a lot of you readers),REASONS, IF THEY ARE CAIUGHT ALIVE, AMONG THINGS, SHOULD HAVE THEIR TRIGGER FINGERS REMOVED!

Written By: Tia on 02/14/07 at 1:41 pm

turns out you can just use another finger.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/07 at 1:42 pm

ANYONE SHOOTING A GUN FOR NEFARIOUS,(okay, I lost a lot of you readers)

Yes, because we're too stupid to know what "nefarious" means.  ::)

Written By: Jessica on 02/14/07 at 2:10 pm

Yes, because we're too stupid to know what "nefarious" means.  ::)

DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/07 at 2:11 pm

DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Need help opening that door, Jess?

Written By: Jessica on 02/14/07 at 2:14 pm

Need help opening that door, Jess?

Nuh. I think it's open alre----*smack*

Written By: Tia on 02/14/07 at 2:37 pm

isn't "nefarious" used to describe the conduct of miscreants, ne'er-do-wells, and other miscellaneous brigands?

Written By: Henk on 02/15/07 at 1:38 pm

isn't "nefarious" used to describe the conduct of miscreants, ne'er-do-wells, and other miscellaneous brigands?

I think that's usually referred to as "politics". ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/15/07 at 2:16 pm

Surprisingly, they're not blaming video games this time.  I used to think that video games desensitized people to murder, but one day I realized that little boys have been playing with toy guns ever since real guns were invented, and very few have gone on murderous rampages.

Today they are saying that the shooter is from Bosnia, and had a horrible violent childhood, which caused him to more or less snap.  As much as I sympathize for victims of violence, especially people from war-torn countries, I just don't think that's it.  No matter what people find to blame for something like this, the simple fact is that the man was crazy.  There will never ever ever be a logical explanation for why he did it, so I don't know why everybody keeps looking for one.

Written By: La Roche on 02/15/07 at 3:20 pm

Surprisingly, they're not blaming video games this time.  I used to think that video games desensitized people to murder, but one day I realized that little boys have been playing with toy guns ever since real guns were invented, and very few have gone on murderous rampages.

Today they are saying that the shooter is from Bosnia, and had a horrible violent childhood, which caused him to more or less snap.  As much as I sympathize for victims of violence, especially people from war-torn countries, I just don't think that's it.  No matter what people find to blame for something like this, the simple fact is that the man was crazy.  There will never ever ever be a logical explanation for why he did it, so I don't know why everybody keeps looking for one.

Right.

You can't look for a logical answer to an illogical question.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/15/07 at 9:36 pm

That's basically it.  Pixels are not people.  Too bad the nutjob had to lose his life, but when you're on a rampage taking the lives of others, you might just forfeit your own.

Too bad?  Way I see it, it saves us a few million dollars in taxes over the next 20 years.  Given that someone's already gone postal and racked up kills as a sunk cost, I'm really not seeing the downside to the nutjob getting whacked.  Good shooting on the part of the cops.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/07 at 9:54 pm

Nefarious? Miscreant's? Ne'er-do-wells? Brigands?!?

http://www.aj.cz/img/smpulp.jpg

ENGLISH, MOTHERF***ER!!!

Written By: annonymouse on 02/16/07 at 9:29 pm

yeah, i just found that out today. ii had been under the impression that he'd just been some white hilljack. i guess not. if he had been though, it wouda been blamed on videogames.

Check for new replies or respond here...