inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Jackson's comeback song

Written By: Zoso on 02/14/07 at 7:34 am

It's been playing a lot on BBC radio, they are loving it. It's now being played across Europe too. It's called "No Friend of Mine". The rapping parts are done by Pras (from Fugees) and a new rapper called Tempamental.

You can download it here - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L8M16WG6

This is a montage of all the new material that has been leaked from Michael Jackson's new album - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l6eu2hSDfg

So what do you think? Do you like his new material? Does he stand a chance at making a comeback?

Subject: Re: Michael Jackson's comeback song

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/07 at 8:21 am

It's an ok song....I like his older stuff better though.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/07 at 11:16 am

Michael who? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/07 at 11:41 am

"No Friend of Mine"?

We've gone from

"The Girl is Mine"

to

"No Friend of Mine"

"Michael, we're not gonna fight about this."
"Paul, I think I told you, I'm a lover not a fighter!"
::)

Written By: Jessica on 02/14/07 at 11:45 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p-OnMGjcME

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/07 at 12:36 pm

And here I thought his comeback song was gonna be a cover of Kenny Loggins' "Playing With the Boys"

Written By: La Roche on 02/14/07 at 1:04 pm

And here I thought his comeback song was gonna be a cover of Kenny Loggins' "Playing With the Boys"

I thought he'd parody The Gambler by Kenny Rogers.

'The Handler'

Ya gotta know when to touch em, know when to fuuk em, know how to shut em up - when the deed is done.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/07 at 1:43 pm

Michael Jackson needs to go away and never come back.

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/07 at 2:11 pm

I thought he'd parody The Gambler by Kenny Rogers.

'The Handler'

Ya gotta know when to touch em, know when to fuuk em, know how to shut em up - when the deed is done.

;D

Or maybe he should cover that chidlren's song "On Top of Old Smokey" titled "On Top of Young Children"

On top of young children
all covered in J***
i lost my big boner
when I took a wiz

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/07 at 2:12 pm

;D

Or maybe he should cover that chidlren's song "On Top of Old Smokey" titled "On Top of Young Children"

On top of young children
all covered in j***
i lost my big boner
when I took a wiz

OMFGWTFBBQ!!!

;D  ;D  ;D

Tam edited the quote

Written By: Jessica on 02/14/07 at 2:15 pm

;D

On top of young children
all covered in j***
i lost my big boner
when I took a wiz

Wouldn't that be R. Kelly?

Tam edited the quote

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/07 at 2:15 pm

Wouldn't that be R. Kelly?

Yeah, he's the one who likes peeing on teenage girls.

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/07 at 3:01 pm

Then maybe Jacko should sing Quiet Riot ...

Cum on feel my boyz
kids brings me joy
we go wild, wild, wild
wild, wild, wild

So you think I got a jumbo c**k
i'll tell you kiddie
i don't know why
i am a guy

So you think it's solid as a rock
it makes me j***y
i don't know why
i am a guy
oh no

So cum on feel my boyz
kids bring me joy
we go wild, wild, wild
wild, wild

Written By: Zoso on 02/14/07 at 11:50 pm

Michael Jackson needs to go away and never come back.

Coming from someone with Christina Aguilera in their avatar. That new MJ song is better than anything Xtina has put out. I never forgive her for what she did to JB's "It's a Man, Man, Man's World".

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/07 at 12:01 am

Coming from someone with Christina Aguilera in their avatar. That new MJ song is better than anything Xtina has put out. I never forgive her for what she did to JB's "It's a Man, Man, Man's World".

Are you smokin' weed?

Michael Jackson hasn't been able to sing since the 90s.  He needs to retire his voice just like he did his original face :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 12:02 am

Right, because liking Christina Aguilera makes me incapable of saying that MJ stinks.  IMO, he's done, he's finished, and I'm glad.  Him and Britney can go commiserate about how far their stock has fallen.  Christina has talent, she can sing.  She's better than 90% of the pop music that's on the radio now, and unlike her other teen-pop brethren, she has longevity.  I can see her sticking around for a long time.  Michael cashed in a long time ago, and I can't see a place for him in popular music anymore.

And I've heard nothing but praise for Christina's performance at the Grammy's and after that pathetic, embarrassing display by Chris Brown, she saved the R&B section of the show, IMO.  Smokey Robinson, to Lionel Richie, to some dude who barely sang , heck when she came out, she could have burped the alphabet backwards and it would have been an improvement. 

So don't assume that because she's in my avatar I have no taste in music.

Written By: Zoso on 02/15/07 at 12:09 am

Don't tell me you're dissing Smoke?  :o

Dissing smoke and prasing xtina. WTF??

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 12:10 am

Are you not allowed to do that?

Written By: Zoso on 02/15/07 at 12:11 am

Smoke is a legend and Christina Aguilera wouldn't be around if it wasn't for him. He helped pioneer the music she (over)sings.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 12:12 am

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Written By: Davester on 02/15/07 at 12:13 am

I remember when Mike was King...

Ah, Those were the days...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 12:14 am

I remember when Mike was King...

Ah, Those were the days...

He had some good music.  About 20 years ago.

Written By: Zoso on 02/15/07 at 12:16 am

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Well I'll explain it to you.

Smokey Robinson is a pioneer of soul. Back in the late 50s and 60s he was in a group called The Miracles. He was also the vice-president of Motown records and wrote a lot of music for Motown artists. Without Smokey Robinson and what he did to developed soul music, Christina Aguilera wouldn't have anything to sing, because she has branded herself a soul/R&B singer.

Written By: Zoso on 02/15/07 at 12:18 am

So Remember the Time, Who Is It, Will You Be There, Give in to Me, Stranger in Moscow, Butterflies and Whatever Happens aren't good songs? But Aint No Other Man is? And Christina Aguilera is a better performer than Smokey Robinson? WTF is wrong with you?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 12:19 am

Well I'll explain it to you.

I stopped reading at that part because you chose to insult me for no reason.  I haven't watched MTV in a very long time, pretty much since it became reality TV central, so that statement, along with being very rude, was very incorrect. 

And I thought you were referring to drugs, since Jason asked if you were smoking weed.  I hadn't heard Smokey Robinson referred to as "Smoke" before, so I didn't know what you were talking about....hence why I said, I didn't know what you were talking about.

Written By: Davester on 02/15/07 at 12:24 am

Yeah, and maybe 20 years ago I'd be more apt to enjoy his music...

His 15 minutes, nay 1 hour of fame, if not infamy, has passed...

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/07 at 12:25 am

The last good song Michael Jackson put out was "Will You Be There" from Free Willy, but even that wasn't all that good.  I'll listen to 70s and 80s MJ anyday, but not the crap he puts out today

Michael Jackson WAS the King of Pop.  Now he's just an embarrasment

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 12:25 am

Yeah, and maybe 20 years ago I'd be more apt to enjoy his music...

His 15 minutes, nay 1 hour of fame, if not infamy, has passed...

Hence why I don't think there's a place for him in pop music anymore.  Too much of pop, and especially R&B is young....he ain't young.  I can't see him grabbing the same fan base and audience demo that someone like Ciara or Beyonce gets.

Written By: Zoso on 02/15/07 at 12:29 am

Well sorry for the misinterpretation. I thought you were saying Smokey Robinson was bad, which made Christina seem even better. Also, Smoke is common nickname for Smokey Robinson. I assumed a lot of people would know of it. And it's fine if you don't like those songs, but you can give a man a little respect for still being able to make good music, still having a very large group of fans, and still getting love on the radio after 40 years in the industry (btw, this year marks 40 years since he recorded his first single with the J5). I think Christina Aguilera is an average at best performer, and I highly doubt she will be where Mike is now in 40 years time. Despite what you guys think, he is getting a lot of praise on radio, he still has a huge number of fans (I dare say more than Xtina at the moment), and he has enough fans, and enough respect on radio to have a lot of success when his new album comes out. Btw, I bet Christina would cite Michael Jackson as one of her biggest influences.

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/07 at 12:32 am

I think Christina Aguilera is an average at best performer, and I highly doubt she will be where Mike is now in 40 years time.

Well of course not.  She'll still have her original face :D

Written By: Zoso on 02/15/07 at 12:34 am

Hence why I don't think there's a place for him in pop music anymore.  Too much of pop, and especially R&B is young....he ain't young.  I can't see him grabbing the same fan base and audience demo that someone like Ciara or Beyonce gets.

It's funny you say that, because I thought R&B artists like Ciara and Beyonce would boost MJ's fan base incredibly. Who's the one and only artist people like Ciara, Beyonce, Usher, Chris Brown etc cite as their biggest influence? Michael Jackson. They make it painfully clear to all their fans that every note the sing, every dance move they do comes from Michael. When this new album drops, I think all Ciara, Beyonce, Usher and Brown fans will be tempted to buy it because all they hear from their idols is Michael Jackson this and Michael Jackson that. Expecially Beyonce. She raves on about Michael Jackson so much. And I'm sure when the album drops, Beyonce and others will promote the hell out of it and rave on about how good it is and how everyone should buy it. Michael Jackson's new album is a garaunteed success.

Written By: Davester on 02/15/07 at 12:37 am

Music, tastes, entertainment has changed s-o-o-o much from Mike's heyday it's barely recognizable.  Pop stars of the present day aren't, h-m-m, how can I put this without offending...smaller?  Pop stars and rock stars, as well, were bigger than B-I-G!  Larger than life!  Ten feet tall and bulletproof!  The fans put them there.  "Pop Star", today, doesn't have the same meaning or effect as "Pop Star" then.  There will be no more "Kings" or "Queens"...

That's not to say that no worthwhile pop music exists, it's just the "Pop Star" mania is pretty much extinct...

edited: infested...

Written By: Zoso on 02/15/07 at 12:38 am

Well of course not.  She'll still have her original face :D

Did you get that from the Tonight Show with Jay Leno? Or was it Late Night with Conan O'Brian?

I wasn't talking about his face. People's obsession with his face is so superficial. Since when does it matter what someone looks like? I miss the 70s when it was about the music.

I was talking about his incredibly large fan base, his respect of radio, his many admires in the R&B field (Chris Brown, Beyonce etc), and his ability to still make great music. I'd pay a million dollars to see Christina still have that after 40 years.

Written By: Zoso on 02/15/07 at 12:40 am

Music, tastes, entertainment has changed s-o-o-o much from Mike's heyday it's barely recognizable.  Pop stars of the present day aren't, h-m-m, how can I put this without offending...smaller?  Pop stars and rock stars, as well, were bigger that B-I-G!  Larger than life!  Ten feet tall and bulletproof!  The fans put them there.  "Pop Star", today, doesn't have the same meaning or effect as "Pop Star" today.  There will be no more "Kings" or "Queens"...

That's not to say that no worthwhile pop music exists, it's just the "Pop Star" mania is pretty much extinct...

I think people miss that, and Michael Jackson represents all that. Justin Timberlake or Christina Aguilera could never be as big or as exciting as Michael Jackson and Madonna were in the 80s.

A few people in this thread have said how the miss the Michael from the 80s. Or they remember when MJ used to be King. I think the only thing that is different between now and then, is people's attitude towards him. Because of everything that has happened in his life since the 80s, people have a negative attitude toward him. But what was it that made people have a postive attitude towards him the 80s? It wasn't anything that happened in the 80s. It was his music. So I believe, it he made a really good album, all that other BS will go away. Because it is all BS. Michael Jackson was found not guilty of child molestation. He has fixed up his face and hasn't has any operations on it since the trial ended. He hasn't been in the tabloids. He's been staying away from all that, all he's been doing is being a great father and making great music. As of now, people have no reason to hate him. At least by this time next year, I believe MJ will be KING!

Written By: Red Ant on 02/15/07 at 12:42 am

Keep this thread civil. If you guys want to assault another's taste in music, do it without jabs at the poster you are quoting.

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/07 at 12:49 am

I wasn't talking about his face. People's obsession with his face is so superficial. Since when does it matter what someone looks like? I miss the 70s when it was about the music.

In some way though, it affects his record sales.  In the 70s and 80s, MJ was this cute black guy who sang fun pop songs.  Now he's just a creepy old white guy with more plastic than a Mastercard who dangles babies over balconies, and does creepy things with kids.  That's not exactly a good role model for today's record buying public

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 1:30 am

In some way though, it affects his record sales.  In the 70s and 80s, MJ was this cute black guy who sang fun pop songs.  Now he's just a creepy old white guy with more plastic than a Mastercard who dangles babies over balconies, and does creepy things with kids.  That's not exactly a good role model for today's record buying public

Precisely why I think he's done.  His personal life eclipsed his professional life a long, long time ago.

Written By: Zoso on 02/15/07 at 2:05 am

And it wont be hard for him to make his music overshadow his personal life.

Written By: Zoso on 02/15/07 at 4:05 am

Not a lot of comment on the actual song. Just a whole lot of childish comments/insults. The thread did start off as a discussion about his new material.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/15/07 at 8:11 am

Considering how you said today's pop is so junky, even M.J. would probably be an improvement over post of the crap you hear today...

Written By: Jessica on 02/15/07 at 9:27 am

Well sorry for the misinterpretation. I thought you were saying Smokey Robinson was bad, which made Christina seem even better. Also, Smoke is common nickname for Smokey Robinson. I assumed a lot of people would know of it. And it's fine if you don't like those songs, but you can give a man a little respect for still being able to make good music, still having a very large group of fans, and still getting love on the radio after 40 years in the industry (btw, this year marks 40 years since he recorded his first single with the J5). I think Christina Aguilera is an average at best performer, and I highly doubt she will be where Mike is now in 40 years time. Despite what you guys think, he is getting a lot of praise on radio, he still has a huge number of fans (I dare say more than Xtina at the moment), and he has enough fans, and enough respect on radio to have a lot of success when his new album comes out. Btw, I bet Christina would cite Michael Jackson as one of her biggest influences.

I've been a fan of Smokey's probably longer than you've been alive, and I've NEVER heard him referred to as "Smoke". However, I may be misinformed, so I shall ask my music guru who knows all.

As for Michael Jackson, he's done. His song could be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and no one would care because he chose to f*ck up his life in such a horrendous manner.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/15/07 at 10:10 am

Personally, I don't like the song and from what I've found online, it's not even HIS song, it's buy some Tempamental guy.  I tortured myself listened to every song on the youtube thing and they all sound like the same crap he's put out in recent years.  I see nothing new or exciting about this album, but that won't keep his hordes of fans from buying it, I'm sure ::)

Besides the fact that "gangsta" in no way, shape or form can/should be used to describe MJ as he is so far from "Gangsta", it's ludicrous!

Oh, and I also have never heard Smokey Robinson called "Smoke" and could find nothing on it when I googled it.....I simply thought it was a typo :D

Written By: Dino on 02/15/07 at 1:33 pm

mi cheal stiill have aloyal fanbase in europe his last greatist hits album sold really well i think it was called
no.1s or something which became abig succes in europe which is prove that people still care.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/16/07 at 3:25 pm

The rapping parts are done by Pras (from Fugees) and a new rapper called Tempamental.

Maybe he should instead be doing a duet with R. Kelly.  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...