inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Presidential Dollars Released Today

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/07 at 12:51 pm

For those of you who have not heard already, the U.S. Mint are coming out with a new presidential dollar-similar to the State's Quarter program. Today, the first coins were released with George Washington (Adams, Jefferson, Madison, & Monroe will be released later this year). These coins are supposed to be put in circulation-the last circulated dollar coin was the Sacagawea in 2001 (they still minted them after 2001 but were not in circulation).

Just thought people might be interested.

Cat

Subject: Re: New Presidential Dollars Released Today

Written By: Marian on 02/15/07 at 1:17 pm

I have a Sacajawea one somewhere.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/07 at 1:48 pm

that's cool, Cat. I'll be anxious to see what they look like.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/07 at 1:55 pm

that's cool, Cat. I'll be anxious to see what they look like.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm?action=Washington

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/07 at 2:15 pm

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm?action=Washington

Cat

oh neat! I like how they are going to have the edge-incused inscriptions....that's pretty cool! 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/07 at 2:21 pm

oh neat! I like how they are going to have the edge-incused inscriptions....that's pretty cool! 8)

Because of that, some of the coin grading services are changing their packages so you can see the edges-well at least most of it.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/15/07 at 3:11 pm

Because of that, some of the coin grading services are changing their packages so you can see the edges-well at least most of it.

Cat

that's a good idea!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/15/07 at 3:14 pm

Gee, how did I know you'd post this ??? ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/07 at 3:19 pm

I think it's a cool idea, my only hope is that there is enough of a difference in size (or texture?) between the dollar coin and the quarter where you can reach into your pocket and grab one without any confusion between the two. That's what really sank the Susan B. dollar, and IMO the Sacajawea dollar really wasn't big enough either. If anything, the new coins should be really big like those old Ike dollars they had back in the 70's.

Written By: La Roche on 02/15/07 at 3:22 pm

I think it's a cool idea, my only hope is that there is enough of a difference in size (or texture?) between the dollar coin and the quarter where you can reach into your pocket and grab one without any confusion between the two. That's what really sank the Susan B. dollar, and IMO the Sacajawea dollar really wasn't big enough either. If anything, the new coins should be really big like those old Ike dollars they had back in the 70's.

Yup. They don't need to be that much bigger though, just much thicker.

You see the 10 pence and 1 pound coins here in the UK?

The pound coins are a little smaller, not much smaller, but they're three times thicker.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/07 at 3:24 pm

They need to make a $100 coin that's the size of a Frisbee.

BLING!!!

Written By: La Roche on 02/15/07 at 3:37 pm

They need to make a $100 coin that's the size of a Frisbee.

BLING!!!

Like one of those discs the african guys have in their lips?  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/07 at 4:20 pm

Gee, how did I know you'd post this ??? ;)

I have no idea why you would think that.  ;)

What really cracks me up, I was watching a few different coin shows and they were selling rolls of these new dollars-get this, a roll of 25 coins-which equals $25 they were selling for $50!  :o :o :o  The Mint isn't much better, the same roll you can get for $35.  When things clear out (snow-wise), I'm going to take a trip to a bank with $25 and ask for a roll-I'm sure they will give it to me for that price (I'm sure they will be "P"s. Now I have to figure out how to get the "D"s.

(FYI: For those of you who do not know, "P"s are minted in Philly and "D"s, are minted in Denver.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/07 at 6:34 pm

When are they gonna come out with Presidents' pets quarters, you know,
Checkers the dog
Socks the cat
Macaroni the pony....
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/catmilk.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/07 at 6:36 pm

When are they gonna come out with Presidents' pets quarters, you know,
Checkers the dog
Socks the cat
Macaroni the pony....
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/catmilk.gif

Monica?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/17/07 at 7:48 am

WTF??  ???

The dollar coin is ALREADY too often mistaken for a quarter, so they release a new one with a picture of George Washington on it?  Is there a lucid person left in the Federal Government?

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/07 at 2:42 am

I think dollar coins are cool, as long as they can be differentiated from quarters.

P.S. On another random monetary note: Have you noticed, the old-school 5, 10 and 20 dollar bills are becoming more and more rare? I remember 1996 was when the "new" ones started being manufactured. Nowadays, it's probably a 1/25 ratio of the old ones. Hell, I almost don't want to spend those when I get them (they're almost to the level of collectors' items)!

Written By: Tia on 02/20/07 at 3:04 am

WTF??  ???Is there a lucid person left in the Federal Government?
was there ever a lucid person in the federal government?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/20/07 at 3:15 am

WTF??  ???

The dollar coin is ALREADY too often mistaken for a quarter, so they release a new one with a picture of George Washington on it?  Is there a lucid person left in the Federal Government?

I don't have a problem figuring out which is a dollar and which is a quarter. 

Written By: Dave79 on 02/20/07 at 4:25 pm

The new presidential dollars look nothing like a quarter (not even the same in color)  Its not hard to them apart.

--
Dave

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/07 at 4:42 pm

was there ever a lucid person in the federal government?

What about George Washington?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/21/07 at 8:42 pm

Monica?

You mean the slang term for the whole roll of dollar coins?  Sure.

Written By: nally on 04/24/07 at 10:40 pm

I got one the other day. I'm not spending it anytime soon.

Written By: La Roche on 04/24/07 at 11:05 pm

It's interesting.

The New York, Chicago and Washington subway systems.. all the ticket machines dispense dollar coins in change.. the only places I've had them as change yet. Just thought that was interesting.

Written By: karen on 04/25/07 at 4:12 am

What really cracks me up, I was watching a few different coin shows and they were selling rolls of these new dollars-get this, a roll of 25 coins-which equals $25 they were selling for $50!  :o :o :o  The Mint isn't much better, the same roll you can get for $35. 

In the UK they are producing a special 50 pence coin to commerate the centenary of Scouting this year.  You can buy a presentation pack with one coin in for £5.25, just over 10 times the value of the coin!

Written By: tokjct on 04/28/07 at 1:07 am

Has no one seen the "Loonies" which are now in circulation north of the border in Canada.  Unless things have changed since I used travel up there three, four or more time every year, Canada has eliminated the one dollar bank note and replaced it with a "gold" looking coin, a bit larger than our half dollar and with an edge that is not round but sort of octagonal or more.  Their smallest denomination banknote is the two dollar bill.  One wonderful thing about Canadian paper currency was the variety of colors for each denomination.

peace ...Lee ;) 

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/28/07 at 1:32 am

Has no one seen the "Loonies" which are now in circulation north of the border in Canada.  Unless things have changed since I used travel up there three, four or more time every year, Canada has eliminated the one dollar bank note and replaced it with a "gold" looking coin, a bit larger than our half dollar and with an edge that is not round but sort of octagonal or more.  Their smallest denomination banknote is the two dollar bill. 

Go back sometime.  Wait'll you see what they've done with the $2 bill since you were last there.  It's all round and heavy-like, almost as if it were made of two different metals!

Written By: nally on 04/30/07 at 12:24 pm

Go back sometime.  Wait'll you see what they've done with the $2 bill since you were last there.  It's all round and heavy-like, almost as if it were made of two different metals!

I think $2 bills are out of circulation now, and I actually have a few of them...so I'm saving them in a special place.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/07 at 1:04 pm

I think $2 bills are out of circulation now, and I actually have a few of them...so I'm saving them in a special place.

A $2 bill is still legal tender. You can bring one of those to a store and you can spend it just like a $1 bill. I believe the last time they were printed were 2003 but I could be mistaken. They could be printed again in the future. Most $2 bills are worth-well, $2 but if it is uncirculated condition (no creases or anything) it could be worth more. (BTW, I have a few in my collection as well).

Here is a funny story about a $2 bill.

http://www.snopes.com/business/money/tacobell.asp

Cat

Written By: tokjct on 04/30/07 at 1:44 pm

FooBar and I were referring to the Canadian two dollar bill, which is, I believe, very much in circulation today.

Canada stopped printing one dollar notes a number of years ago and circulates the one dollar coin (the loonie).

I've seen US two dollar bills very occasionally.  I don't think they ever had any premium value regardless of condition.  The problem with the US two was that too many people put them aside as souvenirs instead of using them in daily commerce...Hence, their scarcity and the reluctance  of the US Mint to print more two's. 

Written By: nally on 04/30/07 at 1:45 pm

FooBar and I were referring to the Canadian two dollar bill, which is, I believe, very much in circulation today.

Canada stopped printing one dollar notes a number of years ago and circulates the one dollar coin (the loonie).

I've seen US two dollar bills very occasionally.  I don't think they ever had any premium value regardless of condition.   The problem with the US two was that too many people put them aside as souvenirs instead of using them in daily commerce...Hence, their scarcity and the reluctance  of the US Mint to print more two's. 

Oh. Right. My mistake. Still, I don't see US $2 bills much, like I said above.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/07 at 3:42 pm

I've seen US two dollar bills very occasionally.  I don't think they ever had any premium value regardless of condition.  The problem with the US two was that too many people put them aside as souvenirs instead of using them in daily commerce...Hence, their scarcity and the reluctance  of the US Mint to print more two's. 

As a collector, I have seen notes ($1, $2, etc, etc) that have gone very high-but of course it has to do with condition, condition, condition. You are right that many people put aside the $2 as well as the State Quarters, Sac. dollars and I'm sure they will do the same with the new Pres dollars. I am really bad because I go through every bit of change both hubby & I get because you never know what kind of "treasures" that are hidden in a bunch of change. I know, it is an illness.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/30/07 at 8:31 pm

Well, if by "bill", you mean "big bimetallic slab of metal" :)

The Canadian $2 bill may still be legal tender, but they stopped printing them in 1996 when they switched to the Toonie coin.  The $2 coin is even larger and heavier than the $1 coin. 

The lesson for any government wanting to replace a bill with a coin is that if you want the coin to be accepted and used by the population, you have to stop printing the bill, even if you have to put up with your citizens whining and bickering about it for a few months.

Written By: tokjct on 04/30/07 at 11:21 pm

Well, if by "bill", you mean "big bimetallic slab of metal" :)

The Canadian $2 bill may still be legal tender, but they stopped printing them in 1996 when they switched to the Toonie coin.  The $2 coin is even larger and heavier than the $1 coin. 

The lesson for any government wanting to replace a bill with a coin is that if you want the coin to be accepted and used by the population, you have to stop printing the bill, even if you have to put up with your citizens whining and bickering about it for a few months.

After 23 years and three terrific kids, the Canadian lady I had married and I decided to get a divorce...1995.
Up until then it had been three or more trips a year up to Montreal.  The loonies were out by the early 1990's.  I knew that they stopped making one dollar paper.  Never knew they stopped making two dollar paper, and I never saw a "toonie" coin...but if you say so...

Check for new replies or respond here...