inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 10 dead in Kentucky cigarette fire

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/07 at 6:40 pm

Your mom & dad were right!  Careful with those cigs in the house....this could happen to YOU!
:\'(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070215/ap_on_re_us/kentucky_house_fire

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A cigarette left burning near a chair likely caused the house fire that killed 10 people earlier this month, a top fire official said Thursday, citing an astray found nearby...

Subject: Re: 10 dead in Kentucky cigarette fire

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/15/07 at 9:42 pm

Sssssssssssssss-mokin!

/someone had to say it.
//one ticket to hell, please.
///non-smoking section?

Written By: Marian on 02/17/07 at 3:31 pm

That's the scary thing about apartments--one idiot could fall asleep while smoking,and if you're in the buliding,you may be taost.Disturbingly common in retirement homes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/07 at 5:13 pm

That's the scary thing about apartments--one idiot could fall asleep while smoking,and if you're in the buliding,you may be taost.Disturbingly common in retirement homes.

That happened to me.  It wasn't a cigarette though, it was a cooking fire.  Back in 1990 I was living in one of those 3-decker tenaments in East Boston.  The crazy Irish drunks downstairs (yes, they were drunks and they were from Ireland) left chicken frying on the stove.  They went out drinking and just...left it!  Fire dept. had to come and put out the ensuing grease fire.  Filled the entire building up with fetid smoke!  So, the boozehounds returned to find the mess, and it was all "Awl b'Jasus fuggin' 'ell!"  My roommate ripped them all a new one!  Never saw him so mad!

Anyway, Fred Murphy & co. soon decided to go back to Ireland.  Actually, they were asked to leave.  Uh, told to leave!  My new neighbors were a gaggle of Colombian dudes who blasted Salsa and pretended they couldn't speak English when you complained about the noise...oh, and when the rent was due too!
:P

Written By: Marian on 02/21/07 at 2:31 pm

That happened to me.  It wasn't a cigarette though, it was a cooking fire.  Back in 1990 I was living in one of those 3-decker tenaments in East Boston.  The crazy Irish drunks downstairs (yes, they were drunks and they were from Ireland) left chicken frying on the stove.  They went out drinking and just...left it!  Fire dept. had to come and put out the ensuing grease fire.  Filled the entire building up with fetid smoke!  So, the boozehounds returned to find the mess, and it was all "Awl b'Jasus fuggin' 'ell!"  My roommate ripped them all a new one!  Never saw him so mad!

Anyway, Fred Murphy & co. soon decided to go back to Ireland.  Actually, they were asked to leave.  Uh, told to leave!  My new neighbors were a gaggle of Colombian dudes who blasted Salsa and pretended they couldn't speak English when you complained about the noise...oh, and when the rent was due too!
:P
and people wonder why landlords ask that tenants not smoke--okay ,i know in your case it was a cooking fire,but it's the same principle.

Written By: philbo on 02/21/07 at 4:37 pm

I misread your typo as "you may be Taoist".. talk about baptism by fire.

Does the guy who dropped the fateful fag (a "fag" is a cigarette in English, btw) qualify for a Darwin Award?

Written By: Red Ant on 02/21/07 at 6:10 pm

Does the guy who dropped the fateful fag (a "fag" is a cigarette in English, btw) qualify for a Darwin Award?

No, they wouldn't. From the DA website:

"Reproduction
  Out of the gene pool: dead or sterile.
Excellence
  Astounding misapplication of judgment.
Self-Selection
  Cause one's own demise.
Maturity
  Capable of sound judgment.
Veracity
  The event must be true."

Falling asleep with a smoke and burning to death doesn't meet #2. Also:

"The Darwin Awards commemorate individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives: by eliminating themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chance of long-term survival."

Burning to death from a cigarette is, relatively speaking, an "oops", and probably too common. Attempting to open a land mine with a torch is "extraordinarily idiotic".

Written By: Marian on 02/22/07 at 2:06 pm

Oh,of course I mean toast,in a more literal sense than MaxwellSmart wouydl be comfortable with.

Written By: philbo on 02/23/07 at 4:02 am

Burning to death from a cigarette is, relatively speaking, an "oops", and probably too common. Attempting to open a land mine with a torch is "extraordinarily idiotic".

But it could be argued that smoking is of itself extraordinarily idiotic, and just because it's common doesn't make it any cleverererer

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/23/07 at 11:21 pm

You call 'em fags, we call 'em butts...lets get together for a drag!
:D

Written By: Marian on 02/24/07 at 1:21 pm

You call 'em fags, we call 'em butts...lets get together for a drag!
:D
I really wush you wouldn't be a butt-head!!! :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/24/07 at 2:37 pm

I really wush you wouldn't be a butt-head!!! :P

What?  What?  What did I say?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/duckie.gif

Written By: Marian on 02/25/07 at 3:27 pm

What?  What?  What did I say?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/duckie.gif
Didn't you say you wanted to smoke? ;D ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...