inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teen Idols Of The Late 80's Vs. Teen Idols Of The Late 90's

Written By: Dino on 02/23/07 at 7:09 am

Hey how come teen idols of the late 90's last alot longer than the ones from the late 80's??
could it be because they're alot more "talented" and now when its time to reinvent yourself???

in the late 80's we had:
Menudo
Ricks astley
New kids on the block
Tiffany
Debbie ginson

in the late 90's we had:

backstreet boys
christina aguilera
britney spears
jessica simpson
mandy moore

Subject: Re: Teen Idols Of The Late 80's Vs. Teen Idols Of The Late 90's

Written By: woops on 02/23/07 at 2:54 pm

One word: Overexpsosure

Also, Grunge, Gangsta Rap, Milli Vanilli, and the change of pop culture...

Deborah Gibson could've been huge in the A/C market like new wavers Annie Lennox & Sting  if radio gave her a change

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/24/07 at 11:07 pm

Yeah, I noticed this too. I was sure the same thing that happened with the 1987-1990/'91 teen stars like New Kids and Debbie (sorry Woops, lol ;)) would happen to all the boy band members. At the time in 1999, I thought it would be like a last gasp Nineties culture, not for them to stick around for years, be it as solo stars or tabloid fodder.

I think the quick death of "the '80s sound", combined with their image getting dated really quick anyway, is what killed the first wave of teen stars. Whereas Justin Timberlake and Christina, for instance, jumped on the more gradual '00s bandwagon of dirty pop, or hip hop-elemented music.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/24/07 at 11:08 pm

maybe because a lot of the teen idols from the late 90's/early 2000's show a lot more skin than the ones of the 80's. ;) :D

Written By: Brian06 on 02/24/07 at 11:14 pm

They changed their sound to the hip-hop sound which dominates the '00s, simple as that. They are almost like different artists than what they were back then. Christina and Justin in 2007 really sound nothing like they did in the late '90s. This trend probably started with Britney Spears' "Britney" album in late 2001 which was totally different than her first two.

Written By: woops on 02/24/07 at 11:18 pm

Good thing Alanis wasn't a popular teen idol in the states or else  radio & MTV wouldn't give "Jagged Little Pill" a chance  :P :( >:(

Sex sells, though the irony is that I never got into Britney & Christina when they first came onto the scene (Yes, I was a teenager)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/24/07 at 11:49 pm

^Yeah, because you were in love with Debbie and they couldn't compete, right? ;D

Just playin' with ya dude, lol.

But yes, I do agree if Alanis' teenpop (from 1991 and had the late '80s pop sound) had made her famous, she wouldn't have been taken seriously as an angrier alt rock chick.

Written By: Dino on 02/25/07 at 1:56 pm

They changed their sound to the hip-hop sound which dominates the '00s, simple as that. They are almost like different artists than what they were back then. Christina and Justin in 2007 really sound nothing like they did in the late '90s. This trend probably started with Britney Spears' "Britney" album in late 2001 which was totally different than her first two.

Wow i agree with you :)

Written By: tv on 02/25/07 at 7:43 pm

I agree with you on Justin his sound is very hip-hop but Christina her new album at least the radio singles I heard off of it are not hip-hop at all like "Hurt" and her new song that got relased to radio sounds if it has a swing music influence to it. I'll agree Christina;s second album was "Dirty pop" sort of with the song "Dirrty" obviously but "Beautiful" didnt have any hip-hop influence at all.

As far as Britney having a hip-hop sound with her 2001 release hip-hop was not as big in 2001 as it was 2003-early 2006. I know rappers like Ja-Rule and Nelly were big in 2000-2001 but that was about it. Rock music was still popular in 2001-2002.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/25/07 at 7:54 pm

I agree with you on Justin his sound is very hip-hop but Christina her new album at least the radio singles I heard off of it are not hip-hop at all like "Hurt" and her new song that got relased to radio sounds if it has a swing music influence to it. I'll agree Christina;s second album was "Dirty pop" sort of with the song "Dirrty" obviously but "Beautiful" didnt have any hip-hop influence at all.

She still changed her sound (not necessarily to hip-hop) from stuff like "Genie In The Bottle" or "What a Girl Wants", she has experimented with different styles a bit rock, hip-hop, pop ballads. I guess you could say her sound has maturated over the years.

Written By: tv on 02/25/07 at 8:29 pm

Hey how come teen idols of the late 90's last alot longer than the ones from the late 80's??
could it be because they're alot more "talented" and now when its time to reinvent yourself???

in the late 80's we had:
Menudo
Ricks astley
New kids on the block
Tiffany
Debbie ginson

in the late 90's we had:

backstreet boys
christina aguilera
britney spears
jessica simpson
mandy moore
You forgot about 98 Degrees. Former 98 Degrees member Nick Lachey had 2 hits last year. I should also mention Nick's first solo album ironically named "Soulo" released in 2002 maybe flopped big time though despite his comeback last year musically. I should alao mention Nick as we all know was once married to Jessica Simpson and they had a show together when they were married called "Newlyweds". Nick is now engaged to MTV veejay Vanessa Minnillo I think.

Check for new replies or respond here...