inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Elderly Tourist Kills Mugger With Bare Hands

Written By: Red Ant on 02/23/07 at 8:18 am

Story here.

Subject: Re: Elderly Tourist Kills Mugger With Bare Hands

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/23/07 at 9:06 am

Long live old people!  Holy crap!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/07 at 9:59 am

Excellent.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/23/07 at 10:31 am

Wow!  That's incredible!!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/23/07 at 3:17 pm

I love it when old people kick ass.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/23/07 at 3:59 pm

Go Grandpa Go!

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/23/07 at 4:23 pm

I kind of feel sorry for the mugger,that was a too extreme. Couldn't he just make him unconscious or something ???

Written By: spaceace on 02/23/07 at 4:28 pm

Grampa kicks arse!!!  My belief in humanity is restored. :)

Written By: La Roche on 02/23/07 at 4:39 pm

Don't f*** with the US ya Costa Rican bastard!

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/23/07 at 4:42 pm

Don't f*** with the US ya Costa Rican bastard!

It's settled. I'm going to pray for that poor hombre alma tonight.

Written By: Paul on 02/23/07 at 4:47 pm

I'll give the Costa Rican authorities their due, they seem to have their priorities right...

Had that happened in Blighty, that old feller would be looking at a considerable few years in the slammer, while the remaining hoodlums would be wined, dined and compensated 'til they were blue in the face...

Written By: La Roche on 02/23/07 at 4:49 pm

It's settled. I'm going to pray for that poor hombre alma tonight.

Nuh Uh!!

Sucka got what he had comin to him.

If that was your Father who kicked his ass, wouldn't you be pleased?

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/23/07 at 4:51 pm

Nuh Uh!!

Sucka got what he had comin to him.

If that was your Father who kicked his ass, wouldn't you be pleased?

Not really,my father has kicked enough ass for a lifetime. But that's another story :-X

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/23/07 at 5:03 pm

I kind of feel sorry for the mugger,that was a too extreme. Couldn't he just make him unconscious or something ???

The mugger thought he had an easy target.  A bunch of old folks, he figured he'd get everything they had. 
How do we know that he wouldn't have killed a few of those elderly tourists.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/23/07 at 5:28 pm

I'm with you.  A little extreme.  He had the kid in a headlock and squeezed until he died.  I think that this quy wasn't what one expects when one hears "elderly"  Yeah the kid was scum, but I think the geezer had fun killing him and that is even more sick.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/07 at 5:32 pm

I'm with you.  A little extreme.  He had the kid in a headlock and squeezed until he died.  I think that this quy wasn't what one expects when one hears "elderly"  Yeah the kid was scum, but I think the geezer had fun killing him and that is even more sick.

How do you know the "geezer" as you so delightfully called him, had fun killing him?  Did you ask him?  If I'm walking down the street and someone grabs me, whether their intent is to rob me, rape me, or murder me....you best believe I am doing everything and anything I can to prevent any of those things from occurring.  If that means I have to kill you to ensure my safety, then so be it.  It's not like this elderly man just randomly attacked this guy and killed him.  How do we know that youth wouldn't have killed that elderly man? 

Written By: La Roche on 02/23/07 at 5:39 pm

Quite honestly I'm stunned that people are reacting negativly to this.

Here is the equation.

Lowlife scumbag mugger trys to mug old dude. Old guy eliminates him. One less scumbag.

This is win-win-win-win!

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/23/07 at 6:12 pm

Had fun killing him..Yeah I'm sure fearing for his life and the lives of his friends was the highlight of his vacation...I hope someone got pictures for the scrapbook.  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 02/23/07 at 6:23 pm

Had fun killing him..Yeah I'm sure fearing for his life and the lives of his friends was the highlight of his vacation...I hope someone got pictures for the scrapbook.  ::)

;D ;D

Do you think he got a wallet size?

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/23/07 at 6:34 pm

;D ;D

Do you think he got a wallet size?

Not sure but if you're lucky Sol and Elsie might invite you over for the slide-show.  They'll be serving coffee and strudel.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/23/07 at 8:10 pm

Would the old man have been more of a hero if he had just broken the guy's arm or nose instead of killing him?

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/23/07 at 8:22 pm

Yikes! What a story!!!  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 02/24/07 at 5:51 am

If the guy was being robbed and shot the kid it would be one thing, but the sheer physical act of getting the kid in a choke hold and squeezing until he died goes beyond it.  I work in Boston and know that there is a very blurry line between heroes and villians(think "The Departed", actually Scorcese sugar coated that story). I would venture that this "elderly" guy was pretty buff and knew exactly what he was doing, and got that "release" while doing it.

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/07 at 6:19 am

If the guy was being robbed and shot the kid it would be one thing, but the sheer physical act of getting the kid in a choke hold and squeezing until he died goes beyond it.  I work in Boston and know that there is a very blurry line between heroes and villians(think "The Departed", actually Scorcese sugar coated that story). I would venture that this "elderly" guy was pretty buff and knew exactly what he was doing, and got that "release" while doing it.

Who cares. He eliminated scum.

Written By: Tia on 02/24/07 at 6:25 am

to be fair, though, if you get mugged and you start getting the upper hand on the guy, and you relent before you totally incapacitate him, he might get back up and start coming after YOU, looking for revenge.

honestly, somebody mugs you, he makes himself fair game. and i'm not going to show him mercy just to have him come after me later and kill me. forget that. HE's the one who decided to mug me. all he had to do was decide not to do that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/24/07 at 7:30 am

One less mugger, I say.

Of course all of his friends will be on TV saying how he was a nice boy who never got into trouble.  A chap who would shovel the snow from his neighbor's driveways, and who never failed to help elderly ladies cross the street.  :D

Note that while he was in the choke hold he managed to squeeze off a couple of shots from his pistola.

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/07 at 7:31 am

to be fair, though, if you get mugged and you start getting the upper hand on the guy, and you relent before you totally incapacitate him, he might get back up and start coming after YOU, looking for revenge.

honestly, somebody mugs you, he makes himself fair game. and i'm not going to show him mercy just to have him come after me later and kill me. forget that. HE's the one who decided to mug me. all he had to do was decide not to do that.

Bingo.

The mugger made a decision. He must die.
One less mugger, I say.

Of course all of his friends will be on TV saying how he was a nice boy who never got into trouble.  A chap who would shovel the snow from his neighbor's driveways, and who never failed to help elderly ladies cross the street.  :D

Note that while he was in the choke hold he managed to squeeze off a couple of shots from his pistola.

;D

Exactly.

I love when they have a thing on TV, when some 16 year old kid gets shot or something and everybody is up in arms about it, then it transpires that said 16 year old was shooting off at some other guy who just happened to be a better shot.

Let the scum eliminate themselves.

Written By: Tia on 02/24/07 at 7:37 am

as yall know i'm pretty easygoing about most things but that stuff just makes me nuts. i've never been mugged (*knocks furiously on wood* *hmm, that doesn't sound so good*) but i've had friends who have and it haunts you for life. if you mug somebody -- honestly, i don't give a good goddam what happens to you.

on the other hand, i remember this story once of a chick i used to work with, she comes in and she's all freaked out, i'm like, what happened? she's, i got mugged! so i maced the guy! i asked a friend who was there and she says, oh, denise is full of it. it was some homeless guy asks for some change, she freaked out and maced the bejesus out of him, basically sprayed him with mace for like, 30 seconds straight, he falls to the ground in agony and she's still macing him, all the while crying in a panic and screaming rape. it's like, wait. who victimized who, exactly?

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/07 at 7:45 am

as yall know i'm pretty easygoing about most things but that stuff just makes me nuts. i've never been mugged (*knocks furiously on wood* *hmm, that doesn't sound so good*) but i've had friends who have and it haunts you for life. if you mug somebody -- honestly, i don't give a good goddam what happens to you.

on the other hand, i remember this story once of a chick i used to work with, she comes in and she's all freaked out, i'm like, what happened? she's, i got mugged! so i maced the guy! i asked a friend who was there and she says, oh, denise is full of it. it was some homeless guy asks for some change, she freaked out and maced the bejesus out of him, basically sprayed him with mace for like, 30 seconds straight, he falls to the ground in agony and she's still macing him, all the while crying in a panic and screaming rape. it's like, wait. who victimized who, exactly?

I find that really funny.

Written By: spaceace on 02/24/07 at 8:45 am

He shall be inspiration to all Senior Citizen who feel they have to put up with being victimized because they're old.  The old man is now a poster child for the Grey Panthers and the AARP. :)

Written By: Tia on 02/24/07 at 10:09 am

i call no way. is there really an organization called the gray panthers?

Written By: spaceace on 02/24/07 at 10:16 am

I'm not sure if they're still in existence but yes in the 70's there was.

Written By: annonymouse on 02/24/07 at 10:52 am

if someone held a gun to someone i knew, i would have the intention of kicking their ass. also, if the old man hadn't killed him, the other muggers probably wouldn't have run away.

Written By: Marian on 02/24/07 at 1:13 pm

The mugger thought he had an easy target.  A bunch of old folks, he figured he'd get everything they had. 
How do we know that he wouldn't have killed a few of those elderly tourists.
That's true.And if you are seemingly the only one who can help,you have to try harder.fact of life.

Written By: Marian on 02/24/07 at 1:17 pm

Sounds like the mother of the assailant should have taught him better while she was raising him instead of complaining about what he gets after trying to rob people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/24/07 at 2:42 pm

I love it when old people kick ass.

You said it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

I can only hope it will give pause to the next punk who thinks septagenarian tourists on a cruise are easy marks...but it probably won't!

Written By: Red Ant on 02/24/07 at 8:42 pm

Grampa kicks arse!!!  My belief in humanity is restored. :)

As is mine, but only for the weekend though.  ;)

I think it's great that a 70 year old man was able to not only handle, but convincingly defeat (i.e., kill) an armed attacker 50 years his junior.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/24/07 at 9:02 pm

There most certainly is!  They've done some fine work.  The organization got more press in its early days, probably because the Black Panthers were all the rage ("radical chic," you know!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Panthers

"Sanford & Son" featured the Gray Panthers (well, actors portraying) in one episode.  Fred gets them to protest a store that won't let seniors buy on credit, or something.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/24/07 at 11:47 pm

I'm usually opposed to violence in any non-self defense (or protecting others) situation. And even then, I'm opposed to excessive violence.

That being said, I really applaud the man - especially in his 70s - for doing what he did. He couldn't have known what was gonna happen if he didn't intervine. I don't think he was trying to kill this dude purposefully, just get him unconscious. Sure, it's sad the mugger died (even though he was a scumbag), but given the alternatives at the time, I don't think there really wasn't a better way around it.

I also think, with the older man being in the military, he probably felt it was his duty in a sense, to protect everyone else - probably being the strongest and best trained to handle a situation like that.

Written By: Marian on 02/25/07 at 3:24 pm

I'm usually opposed to violence in any non-self defense (or protecting others) situation. And even then, I'm opposed to excessive violence.

That being said, I really applaud the man - especially in his 70s - for doing what he did. He couldn't have known what was gonna happen if he didn't intervine. I don't think he was trying to kill this dude purposefully, just get him unconscious. Sure, it's sad the mugger died (even though he was a scumbag), but given the alternatives at the time, I don't think there really wasn't a better way around it.

I also think, with the older man being in the military, he probably felt it was his duty in a sense, to protect everyone else - probably being the strongest and best trained to handle a situation like that.
It sounds like he was using the least violent method possible--not that he had much of a choice-and the guy died anyway.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/07 at 3:56 pm

Who knows how many lives this elderly gentleman has saved, by putting a quick end to his assailant's budding life of crime?

My local newspaper today ran a story about our local serial killer, Edward Surratt, who killed 10-12 people in the late 1970's.  Prior to this he had been in and out of trouble with Johnny Law, for robbery and child molestation.  It is too bad that nobody got that sumbich in a choke hold back in '76.

Written By: jackas on 02/26/07 at 11:50 am

I've read a couple other stories that the elderly man was an ex Marine.  Obviously he was trained in self defense and was just reacting.  Besides, when you're in your 70s I have a feelilng that three young men with guns and knives is quite a threat. 

Written By: Marian on 02/27/07 at 1:33 pm

I've read a couple other stories that the elderly man was an ex Marine.  Obviously he was trained in self defense and was just reacting.  Besides, when you're in your 70s I have a feelilng that three young men with guns and knives is quite a threat. 
Yeah,and I say when you try to rob someone,you assume whatever risks there are.

Check for new replies or respond here...