inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How to pronounce this decade, future decades, and specific years?

Written By: TignishFreak on 02/25/07 at 11:16 pm

I think this would be an appropriate forum to post this message, not sure if it's been asked/discovered before.

Firstly, how should we refer to this decade as a whole colloquially, as we did for the 1990s (the nineties), the 1980s (the eighties), and back to the 1920s (the twenties)?

The ohs? the double-ohs? The two thousands (which is rather ambiguous)?

Also, I also want to explore the question of how we should pronounce specific years post-1999, such as 2008, 2014, or 2025? Should these all follow the "two thousand and (blank)" method or the "twenty (blank)" one?

Interesting topic of discussion. Please vote on the question and provide feedback, I will also engage in further discussion upon replies.

Subject: Re: How to pronounce this decade, future decades, and specific years?

Written By: Brian06 on 02/25/07 at 11:20 pm

I say the current years in the two thousand form generally (with no and), 2010 and onwards I usually say "twenty-_____".

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/25/07 at 11:22 pm

Uhhhh, twenty-fifteen.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/25/07 at 11:22 pm

I believe the really technical way is to say "twenty-oh-seven" for this year but as long as people know what you're talking about, whatever :D

As for what this decade is called, dunno...probably the 00s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/25/07 at 11:24 pm

During the '90s, whenever I was referring to a future year in this decade, I always said it the shorter way (i.e. "twenty oh-three" for 2003). In fact, I've always preffered it this way, over what became the "correct" way - "two thousand three". So I still say it like that, lol. After all, the first decade in the 19th century was "nineteen oh ", so the 2000s should be the same way.

I think once next calendar decade starts, we'll switch right over to the "twenty" pronounciation for the '10s and beyond.

Written By: TignishFreak on 02/25/07 at 11:38 pm

During the '90s, whenever I was referring to a future year in this decade, I always said it the shorter way (i.e. "twenty oh-three" for 2003). In fact, I've always preffered it this way, over what became the "correct" way - "two thousand three". So I still say it like that, lol. After all, the first decade in the 19th century was "nineteen oh ", so the 2000s should be the same way.

I think once next calendar decade starts, we'll switch right over to the "twenty" pronounciation for the '10s and beyond.

I would have to agree with you (and the poster above you) with the fact that "twenty oh " is the better choice for pronouncing these current years, and I'm more than certain that in 20 or so years from now, when the 2000s decade becomes less and less mentioned, the "twenty oh " usage will be universal when referring back to this decade.

But I completely understand (and agree with) the current usage of, say "two thousand seven" for these years, simply because the look of "2007" practically screams "two thousand and seven", rather than "twenty oh seven", because the 2 zeroes are side-by-side (a rarity) and the appearance of this somehow makes us subconsiously decide to say "two thousand and seven". This is opposed to a year like "1919" that looks like "nineteen nineteen" rather than "one thousand nine hundred nineteen", or a future year like "2020" which simply looks like "twenty twenty".

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/25/07 at 11:49 pm

Well here's a topic that hasn't been done to death.  :D

I'm guessing it shall be like this:
2000-2009: pronounced "two thousand and ---" and shortened to "the oh's" (as in "oh-one", "oh-two" etc)
2010-2019: pronounced "twenty-ten" or "two thousand and ten", either, either.

etc.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/25/07 at 11:50 pm

*snorfle*

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/07 at 11:51 pm

I'm guessing it shall be like this:
2000-2009: pronounced "two thousand and ---" and shortened to "the oh's" (as in "oh-one", "oh-two" etc)
2010-2019: pronounced "twenty-ten" or "two thousand and ten", either, either.

etc.

But is 2007 more like 1972 or 500 B.C. ?

Written By: Brian06 on 02/25/07 at 11:52 pm

Really it doesn't matter, no matter how you say it 2007 is 2007. lol

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/25/07 at 11:55 pm

I'll say 1972, but it's really too early to tell at this stage.  :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/25/07 at 11:56 pm

You're all wrong.  2007 is more like 1934.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/26/07 at 3:27 pm

Someone get a hold of Donnie Darko, I'm sure he'll get right on it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/26/07 at 3:42 pm

Two thousand fifteen.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/26/07 at 8:17 pm

1900-1910:  "The naughties" (naught-oh-one through naught-oh-nine), due to the emerging backlash against Victorian values in a world where Britain (and the UKish use of "naught" for "zero" or "none") was still a major player.

2000-2010: "The zeroes", due to the backlash against... pretty much everything.  If you're on the Western left, the world's doomed because we won't extinguish the cool machine-tech bits of our civilization and return to the trees.  If you're on the Western right, the world's doomed because we won't extingsuish the cool freedom-tech bits of our culture and return to the Middle Ages.  If you're a fundamentalist of a certain religion of peace, the world's doomed because it won't go back 400 years before the Middle Ages. 

Scrap the Industrial Revolution.  Scrap the Enlightenment.  Scrap Western Civilization altogether.  7 billion of us, and damn near all of us have signed up into one of three camps and gleefully chosen something that'll constitute "apocalypse" for the other two camps.

We were in a case between education and annihilation.  This was the decade in which we chose annihilation, the root of which, nihil, is a fitting epitaph for the decade. Hence: The zeroes.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/26/07 at 8:38 pm

Interestingly I learned a few years back in spanish class that generally in other languages the years have always been said in thousands form. For example 1998 in Spanish is pronounced "mil novecientos noventa y ocho" which literally means one thousand nine hundred and ninety eight.

Written By: whistledog on 02/26/07 at 10:59 pm

Someone get a hold of Donnie Darko, I'm sure he'll get right on it.

He will, but it will take him 2,000 threads

Written By: Haynsoul on 02/27/07 at 10:34 am

I would call this decade twenty-oh-five, twenty-oh-six, etc.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 11:54 am

Two thousand fifteen

Check for new replies or respond here...