inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Justin: Nsync Is Over!!!

Written By: Dino on 02/27/07 at 8:12 am

Nsync During Their Hey Days
http://www.internationalbasketball.com/musicnsync.jpg

Justin Timberlake

http://www.bendweekly.com/files/justin_timberlake_23.jpg

Recently, Justin Timberlake said in an MTV interview that he was the reason for which the boyband that brought him international fame did not get back together for a comeback. Instead, he focused on his solo career and he feels no regret for having done so.

The singer claims he opposed the idea of a reunion because the style and the music NSYNC used to play is no longer something anybody would listen to, so there was no point in trying to make a comeback. 'What we did doesn't work now. How would we reinvent what we do? We don't look like we used to, we don't move like we used to and I'm sure we don't sound like we used to'

'I guess I can take the blame for ... It's one thing to say, “Hey, let's get back together and let's do something”, but then you say, “OK, but what are we gonna do?”',

Justin on why nsync didn't reunite afer justified instaed he released a 2nd solo album:

When Timberlake finally felt inspired to make music again, he chose not to pursue the 'NSYNC reunion that had been considered after Justified. "It's one thing to say, 'Hey, let's get back together and let's do something,' " he says. "But then you say, 'OK, what are we gonna do? What we did doesn't work now. How would we reinvent what we do?' I don't think the answer came to any of us."

Justin Timberlake Turned Down 'N Sync Reunion Tour

Justin Timberlake accepts he's to blame for 'N Sync's permanent split :eek:  because he was reluctant to reform the boy band when there was a chance to reunite two years ago. The pop supergroup hinted at a possible reunion tour but plans failed to materialize - and now Timberlake admits that's partly his fault.

Subject: Re: Justin: Nsync Is Over!!!

Written By: Marian on 02/27/07 at 1:31 pm

I didn't know they were still together.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 1:32 pm

They're not.

Written By: Marian on 02/27/07 at 1:33 pm

Not now!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 1:35 pm

No, they really weren't before.  Nothing was ever publicized, but it was obvious that they weren't together anymore.

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/07 at 2:02 pm

There are too many threads about Boy Bands

Written By: Brian06 on 02/27/07 at 2:11 pm

When nobody cares about boy bands anymore and when you have a very successful solo career going on, I think it's pretty clear why NSYNC is over.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/07 at 9:18 pm

Yeah, boy bands, including them, haven't really been relevant since the first half of 2001.

Even if his solo career didn't take off as it did, I think Justin would've still disbanded NSync and I don't blame him.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/07 at 9:55 pm

Boy bands haven't been big since 2001.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/28/07 at 12:33 am

This was news....in 2002. lol  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/28/07 at 12:45 am

saw em' live at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, Ca.  They rocked  ;D  actually, I did, when I took my then pre-teen daughter and her cousin to see them. You couldn't hear the singing very well due to all of the screaming.  there's no going back since their audience is all grown up. Didn't the backstreet boys try a comeback 1 or 2 years ago and they couldn't fill up half the seats in the place and I think they offered buy 2 tix get 2 free or something. that would be a sure sign that it's over.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/28/07 at 12:57 am

saw em' live at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, Ca.  They rocked  ;D   actually, I did, when I took my then pre-teen daughter and her cousin to see them. You couldn't hear the singing very well due to all of the screaming.  there's no going back since their audience is all grown up. Didn't the backstreet boys try a comeback 1 or 2 years ago and they couldn't fill up half the seats in the place and I think they offered buy 2 tix get 2 free or something. that would be a sure sign that it's over.

Yeah, I think that's accurate. When "Incomplete" came out, it didn't do very well. It has sort of a modern AC sound, but the problem was it didn't really have any audience. Non-boy band music fans couldn't take them seriously due to their image, and the 11-year olds of 1999 were 17 in 2005 and had moved on by then, lol.

I can now admit I dug a few of the boy band songs, but I never would've said so then. ;D I thought I was way too old for it, especially since "my era" always felt like it belonged to the '80s and earlier '90s.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/28/07 at 1:02 am

saw em' live at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, Ca.  They rocked  ;D   actually, I did, when I took my then pre-teen daughter and her cousin to see them. You couldn't hear the singing very well due to all of the screaming.  there's no going back since their audience is all grown up. Didn't the backstreet boys try a comeback 1 or 2 years ago and they couldn't fill up half the seats in the place and I think they offered buy 2 tix get 2 free or something. that would be a sure sign that it's over.

"Incomplete" did pretty well, and the album did go platnum I think but overall it wasn't good for the standards they have before. That was the backstreet boys, not nsync (this topic is about nsync). NSYNC on the other hand has been dead and buried since "Girlfriend" with Nelly in early 2002. I consider that point generally the end of the boy bands, spring 2002 or so.

Written By: tv on 02/28/07 at 1:48 pm

"Incomplete" did pretty well, and the album did go platnum I think but overall it wasn't good for the standards they have before. That was the backstreet boys, not nsync (this topic is about nsync). NSYNC on the other hand has been dead and buried since "Girlfriend" with Nelly in early 2002. I consider that point generally the end of the boy bands, spring 2002 or so.
I think the boy band fad was mostly 1997-2001 but a boy band like B2K did a score a #1 hit in 2004 with "Bump, Bump, Bump" featuring P. Diddy but that was the only boy band going strong at the time was B2K(2004.) B2K never sold near close the amount of albums that BSB and N'Sync did from 1997-early 2001 though. In mid or near the mid point of 2001 I actually saw the boy band fad coming to an end with artists like Alicia Keys, Craig David, and a nu-metal brand like Staind becoming big at the time as a well a band like 3 Doors Down.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 2:12 pm

Boy bands have always been around though and will be in and out. . .the reason NSync wouldn't work again is Justin now has Beyoncitious. . .which is fine I guess since he is solo now. . .

Boyz II Men and All for One predated the BSB/N Sync wars, and both were huge. . .New Kids on the Black and Kris Kros also come to mind. . .It's an in and out thing just like Girl Bands (Salt N Pepa, En Vogue, TLC, Spice Girls, Etc). . .right now music is kinda scattered. . .the two leaders on most charts I've seen seem to be Hip-Hop beats with Pop Lyrics and Gothish hits---they too are in and out (LL Cool J, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Quad City DJ's and others come to mind with huge hits that fit one category or the other as far as 90s hits that would have qualified)

It's all fads, no NSync probably wouldn't be huge now, but they will have another peak, and another fall, and then another peak and it will continue. . .as will all the music fads we've seen in our lifetimes.

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/07 at 2:22 pm

Boy (and girl) bands are still going strong in the UK and International.

Boy Bands like Westlife and Take That
Girl Bands like All Saints and Girls Aloud

I don't know if the major stardom of boy and girl bands will ever return to North America.  In some ways, I hope they do, mostly for America, where Rap and Hip-Hop seem to be dominating

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/07 at 8:44 pm

Am I supposed to give a rat's azz? I thought it was over eight years ago or something.  I don't even remember what their hits were!
::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/28/07 at 9:25 pm

No, you're not.

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/07 at 11:25 am

Am I supposed to give a rat's azz? I thought it was over eight years ago or something.  I don't even remember what their hits were!
::)

N*Sync had hits ??? :o

Written By: tv on 03/01/07 at 1:13 pm

Boy (and girl) bands are still going strong in the UK and International.

Boy Bands like Westlife and Take That
Girl Bands like All Saints and Girls Aloud

I don't know if the major stardom of boy and girl bands will ever return to North America.  In some ways, I hope they do, mostly for America, where Rap and Hip-Hop seem to be dominating
Sure rap and hip-hop are still big but not its not as big as it was 2003-early 2006. I actually hope the boy bands donlt return because they were too oversexposed as it was in 1999-2000 . At least we don;t have to here a rapper like  50 Cent every single day but back in 1999-2000 we had to hear about boy bands every single day for those 2 years it seemed like in the media and TRL too. You know funny thing is even though boy bands were big in 1997-1998 we had didn;t have to hear about them every single day in those 2 years but back in 1999-2000 we had to hear about them constantly. I think because of Britney Spears arrival in 1999 had something to do with the boy bands blowing up in popularity and teen-pop overall. If not for Britney maybe the boy bands would have been mildly popular in 1999-2000 like they were in 1997-1998.

Written By: tv on 03/01/07 at 1:25 pm

Boyz II Men and All for One predated the BSB/N Sync wars, and both were huge. . .New Kids on the Black and Kris Kros also come to mind. . .It's an in and out thing just like Girl Bands (Salt N Pepa, En Vogue, TLC, Spice Girls, Etc). . .right now music is kinda scattered. . .the two leaders on most charts I've seen seem to be Hip-Hop beats with Pop Lyrics and Gothish hits---they too are in and out (LL Cool J, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Quad City DJ's and others come to mind with huge hits that fit one category or the other as far as 90s hits that would have qualified)

It's all fads, no NSync probably wouldn't be huge now, but they will have another peak, and another fall, and then another peak and it will continue. . .as will all the music fads we've seen in our lifetimes.
Kris Kross was a boy band? I have never heard Kris Kross being associated in being in the "boy band mold." There was another group like Kris Kross too in the early 90's called another "Anotrher Bad Creation"

As far as N;Sync having another peak in "popularity" I don;t think its going to happen because each generation has their own teen idols(bo bands). The Boomers had the Monkee's, the Beatles, amd the Jackson 5. Generation X had New Edition, New Kids On The Block,Milli Vanilli(like them or not), Color Me Badd and Generation Y had the Backstreet Boys, N" Sync, and 98 Degrees.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 2:31 pm

Sure rap and hip-hop are still big but not its not as big as it was 2003-early 2006. I actually hope the boy bands donlt return because they were too oversexposed as it was in 1999-2000 . At least we don;t have to here a rapper like  50 Cent every single day but back in 1999-2000 we had to hear about boy bands every single day for those 2 years it seemed like in the media and TRL too. You know funny thing is even though boy bands were big in 1997-1998 we had didn;t have to hear about them every single day in those 2 years but back in 1999-2000 we had to hear about them constantly. I think because of Britney Spears arrival in 1999 had something to do with the boy bands blowing up in popularity and teen-pop overall. If not for Britney maybe the boy bands would have been mildly popular in 1999-2000 like they were in 1997-1998.

That's a good point, actually. The second wave of teen pop may have been as short as the first one if it weren't for Britney.

The way I see it, 1999 (largely influenced by her overnight success) was when the 1997 and 1998 sound really blew up. It took something that was merely kinda big and pushed it into over the edge, massive popularity. Although that earlier stuff had a different vibe. When I think of a song like "Crush" by Jennifer Paige or even some of the early Backstreet Boys, it has a vague mid '90s feel that Britney and the 1999+ more urban teenpop did not.

If Britney had gotten popular in 1997, I'm sure it wouldn't have lasted more than 2-3 years, and echoed the late '80s teenpop wave more closely.

Written By: skittlesking on 03/02/07 at 7:58 pm

Kris Kross was a boy band? I have never heard Kris Kross being associated in being in the "boy band mold." There was another group like Kris Kross too in the early 90's called another "Anotrher Bad Creation"

As far as N;Sync having another peak in "popularity" I don;t think its going to happen because each generation has their own teen idols(bo bands). The Boomers had the Monkee's, the Beatles, amd the Jackson 5. Generation X had New Edition, New Kids On The Block,Milli Vanilli(like them or not), Color Me Badd and Generation Y had the Backstreet Boys, N" Sync, and 98 Degrees.

No no, I didn't mean N Sync would have a come back, I meant some other Boy Band. . .like you said each generation has their own teen idols. . .

Check for new replies or respond here...