inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sexual Predators

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 10:44 pm

I am SO tired of everytime I turn around, there's another person being charged with being a perverted pedophile.  I watch these Dateline: To Catch A Predator shows, and it literally makes me ill. Then....I turn on the local news, and there's a handful of the same types getting in trouble each day. I am already too much of a paranoid person, and I do not want to be the type of parent that totally shelters my child...but I am just so afraid anymore.  Why aren't these people being administered harsher punishments?  I have watched news show after news show, to know that some of them don't even get charged...and some that do, only get a mere slap on the wrist.  I'm sick of hearing that they need to be "rehabilitated".....it doesn't freakin' work...they get let out, and they just go right back to being the same disgusting creeps that they will always be. This makes me so mad.

Subject: Re: Sexual Predators

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/27/07 at 10:49 pm

I usually keep my kid close and always within my view when he's playing out and about because of this.  Can't predict when some wackjob is going to try to snatch him away...sigh.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 10:51 pm

I usually keep my kid close and always within my view when he's playing out and about because of this.  Can't predict when some wackjob is going to try to snatch him away...sigh.

I know...same here. We are lucky enough to have a fenced in backyard...otherwise I would be so paranoid about letting him play outside.  It sucks so bad...I mean, when we were little we would go and ride our bikes and play around the neighborhood all day long...and my parents never had to worry....this is when I really wished that I didn't live in this current time. :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 10:52 pm

I think we need to bring back hard-core capital punishment and torture for these "winners".  Seeing some habitual rapist having to watch his own junk getting lopped off with a butter knife and then shoved down his throat is well.....perfect.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/27/07 at 10:54 pm

I think we need to bring back hard-core capital punishment and torture for these "winners".  Seeing some habitual rapist having to watch his own junk getting lopped off with a butter knife and then shoved down his throat is well.....perfect.

We'll call it the "Penile Code".

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 10:54 pm

personally, i think those characters get attention to a degree way disproportionate to their prevalence in the population because

a. it's sensationalist and boosts ratings and
b. it makes people paranoid, particularly parents, and fearful of everything around them, and people like that are easier to control, less likely to make a fuss.

everyone knows that the vast, vast, vast majority of sexual violence against minors is perpetrated by people they know, right? usually family members? the trenchcoat kiddie snatcher thing does happen but is much more a boogeyman than anything else, imo.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/27/07 at 10:55 pm

I know...same here. We are lucky enough to have a fenced in backyard...otherwise I would be so paranoid about letting him play outside.  It sucks so bad...I mean, when we were little we would go and ride our bikes and play around the neighborhood all day long...and my parents never had to worry....this is when I really wished that I didn't live in this current time. :-\\

I think it escalated because for some reason or other, it seems that people think it's okay to do this, or that they can get away with it...and like you said, they often do.

personally, i think those characters get attention to a degree way disproportionate to their prevalence in the population because

b. it makes people paranoid, particularly parents, and fearful of everything around them, and people like that are easier to control.

everyone knows that the vast, vast, vast majority of sexual violence against minors is perpetrated by people they know, right? usually family members? the trenchcoat kiddie snatcher thing does happen but is much more a boogeyman than anything else, imo.

Too bad there's no way to find out if creepy Uncle Moe is a member of NAMBLA eh?

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 10:56 pm

Too bad there's no way to find out if creepy Uncle Moe is a member of NAMBLA eh?
a lot of times THEY probably don't even know until they're put in a position of trust and find they can't or don't want to help themselves.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 10:59 pm

This is what I am saying....why are these people allowed to just keep offending?  My mom had this idea...she said that the U.S. should purchase a few islands...and drop them there..let them fend for themselves.  I mean, something needs to happen soon....it's like they are taking over the world or something. And they are all walks of life too (as shown on these news shows)....teachers/police officers/pastors/etc...it's just sick.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/27/07 at 11:03 pm

It was probably just as prevalent (possibly more, who knows) back then as it is now, it's just more widely publicized today.  Back when we were kids, most of us didn't have the open channels of communication with our parents and claims are taken more seriously.  My personal opinion is that it's simply easier to "catch" them today especially with the internet.  Back before the www, it was basically the word of a child against the word of an adult and most adults were more likely to side with the adult.  Now, with chatrooms and the like, more concrete proof is available to catch and prosecute these individuals.....

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 11:07 pm

This is what I am saying....why are these people allowed to just keep offending?  My mom had this idea...she said that the U.S. should purchase a few islands...and drop them there..let them fend for themselves.  I mean, something needs to happen soon....it's like they are taking over the world or something. And they are all walks of life too (as shown on these news shows)....teachers/police officers/pastors/etc...it's just sick.
wait. i thought they were spending years in jail, getting sodomized by other inmates with broomhandles, and then getting house arrest, having their names on public blacklists and tagged with those position locators for the rest of their lives. i hardly see that they're getting off scot-free. although they're not typically getting executed, no. but i hardly see the criminal justice system being lenient toward hardcore pedophiles.

are there actually any statistics on this? is it really more prominent than it used to be? or is it just de rigeur to have a cable news show on it once every five to ten seconds? i'm not trying to stick up for em, and i'm not trying to call you out, im just saying... it smacks a bit of mass hysteria to me.

anyone notice about how these days we have columbine-type shooting sprees in offices and so forth seems once every couple weeks and nobody's really that pressed about it anymore? cuz that's no longer the flavor of the month, now the flavor of the month is mass zombified armies of undead pedophiles.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/27/07 at 11:11 pm

I'm actually more worried about random shootings than I am about my kid getting molested...mostly because I can control where he plays and who he associates with, but I can't stop bullets.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 11:11 pm

There has always been pedophiles and rapists.  The same reason people never really knew about Kennedy's affairs in the White House is the same reason pedophilia was not reported on for so long.  It was not seen as "tasteful" to comment on it, so it wasn't.  Look at all these kids that are now grown men coming forward and saying that they had been molested by priests when they were younger.  At the time this was happening, there's no way they could have come forward and expected anything to come of it.  Even rape victims until very recently had hardly any incentive to come forward.

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 11:12 pm

I'm actually more worried about random shootings than I am about my kid getting molested...mostly because I can control where he plays and who he associates with, but I can't stop bullets.
unless you live in a really rundown neighborhood i'd say you should probably be more pressed about random lightning strikes and spontaneous human combustion.

well, i exaggerate but still. he's probably got more to fear from all the junk food they're making him eat but you're all medical-y so i doubt i'm telling you anything you didn't already know.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/27/07 at 11:13 pm

unless you live in a really rundown neighborhood i'd say you should probably be more pressed about random lightning strikes and spontaneous human combustion.

well, i exaggerate but still. he's probably got more to fear from all the junk food they're making him eat but you're all medical-y so i doubt i'm telling you anything you didn't already know.

We all try to limit our fast food intake :D

We live in a relatively safe chunk of Chicagoland even though it's bordering Gary.  Just gotta keep your eyes open, methinks.

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 11:15 pm

There has always been pedophiles and rapists.  The same reason people never really knew about Kennedy's affairs in the White House is the same reason pedophilia was not reported on for so long.  It was not seen as "tasteful" to comment on it, so it wasn't.  Look at all these kids that are now grown men coming forward and saying that they had been molested by priests when they were younger.  At the time this was happening, there's no way they could have come forward and expected anything to come of it.  Even rape victims until very recently had hardly any incentive to come forward.
well, but see, that's the trust issue, though, right? everybody's worried about some candy-wielding trenchcoated maniac and meanwhile their kids were being diddled wholesale by exactly the LAST people you would have expected and probably among the FIRST people you would have turned to for help with an issue like that. THAT's what's really scary.

Written By: Jessica on 02/27/07 at 11:17 pm

That brings to mind the case that is being reported on now. Some dude went through AA and wrote a letter to a woman he raped in college back in 84. The woman didn't get justice then because no one believed her. Now she had proof in her hands what happened. So she pressed charges. Guy gets picked up and tries to backpedal. Then it comes out that she had not only been raped, but had possibly been gangraped. Now people are telling her she shouldn't have reported it, she should have forgiven him, blah blah blah. FUT DAT. The guy deserves to be punished!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 11:18 pm

well, but see, that's the trust issue, though, right? everybody's worried about some candy-wielding trenchcoated maniac and meanwhile their kids were being diddled wholesale by exactly the LAST people you would have expected and probably among the FIRST people you would have turned to for help with an issue like that. THAT's what's really scary.

Absolutely.  I think people should fear the creepy, swarthy guy on the corner watching little Susie on her bike, but they should temper the fear of the unknown with a fear of the known. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 11:19 pm

That brings to mind the case that is being reported on now. Some dude went through AA and wrote a letter to a woman he raped in college back in 84. The woman didn't get justice then because no one believed her. Now she had proof in her hands what happened. So she pressed charges. Guy gets picked up and tries to backpedal. Then it comes out that she had not only been raped, but had possibly been gangraped. Now people are telling her she shouldn't have reported it, she should have forgiven him, blah blah blah. FUT DAT. The guy deserves to be punished!

After this long, I think there is precious little they can do.  The statute of limitations on rape is a very narrow window.  Murder is indefinite, most other crimes are not. 

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 11:23 pm

well, i'm still also of the opinion that this whole pedophile flap is a lot like the war on drugs and the war on terror and all that crap, that it has a dimension that has nothing to do with protecting children. i mean, it's pretty obvious there's people in the government that want you to be scared silly, right? hence orange alerts and unsubstantiated terror threats and duck and cover drills and all that stuff. keep people scared of every random trumped up menace that comes down the pike and they become very docile. get people thinking they have to put their trust in the government to protect their children from random roving bands of mad slobbery perverts and the next thing you know, get-off-my-land-you-varmint conservatives are lining up to get their kids fitted with RFID tags. it's quite sad, really.

Written By: Jessica on 02/27/07 at 11:24 pm

It's an unfortunate fact that pedophiles and sexual predators exist. It's even more unfortunate that most of them are people that aren't strangers to the victim. And it's even worse when nobody believes that it happened. Sadly, you can't watch your kids all the time, and if they were to come up and say, "So and so did this to me", you should take it with all seriousness, BUT.....it shouldn't be tossed up to the media and the community until it is proven that they are disgusting bastards.

Five years I had to deal with that crap. I never said a word because HE was "the good son" and I KNEW that no one would believe me. He could do no wrong. He loved kids and puppies and all that sh*t.

Luckily, God took him out before he could harm anyone else. And yes, I hope he did suffer when he died. It would be well deserved.

I was the only one that didn't shed a tear at his funeral. And it felt GOOD to see him lowered into the ground.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/27/07 at 11:26 pm

well, i'm still also of the opinion that this whole pedophile flap is a lot like the war on drugs and the war on terror and all that crap, that it has a dimension that has nothing to do with protecting children. i mean, it's pretty obvious there's people in the government that want you to be scared silly, right? hence orange alerts and unsubstantiated terror threats and duck and cover drills and all that stuff. keep people scared of every random trumped up menace that comes down the pike and they become very docile. get people thinking they have to put their trust in the government to protect their children from random roving bands of mad slobbery perverts and the next thing you know, get-off-my-land-you-varmint conservatives are lining up to get their kids fitted with RFID tags. it's quite sad, really.

The RFID tag thing is crazy, but as for the rest...would it be better to let parents be more vigilant in castrating would-be child molesters, or should we let the government handle this little problem?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 11:26 pm

The sad fact is, parents are not always eager to believe the child.  How many times have we heard, including your own case Jess, about how a kid is molested by a cousin, an older brother, an uncle, a male friend to the family and they tell and the parents act like it goes in one ear out the other?

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 11:28 pm

The RFID tag thing is crazy, but as for the rest...would it be better to let parents be more vigilant in castrating would-be child molesters, or should we let the government handle this little problem?
if it fell to the parents rather than the government, i think a lot of this pedophilia flap would evaporate overnight. the point of it is that it's the government wanting more power. that's my point.

war on drugs, war on terror -- same boondoggle. has nothign to do with stopping drugs or fighting terror, it has to do with finding excuses to keep closer tags on the population. i mean, what is this amber alert thing if not a prototype electronic snitch system? the old stasi would have been proud to come up with that stuff.

Written By: Jessica on 02/27/07 at 11:28 pm

The sad fact is, parents are not always eager to believe the child.  How many times have we heard, including your own case Jess, about how a kid is molested by a cousin, an older brother, an uncle, a male friend to the family and they tell and the parents act like it goes in one ear out the other?

Exactly. That's why I know I'll always listen to Jason. I may not go as far as the woman who shot her son's molester, but you can be damned sure I'd listen and take the necessary steps.

And if that didn't work out, then I'd do some shootin'.

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 11:29 pm

i'm saddened and sickened by your story by the way, jessica. my heart goes out to you, no one should have to go through that.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 11:30 pm

Exactly. That's why I know I'll always listen to Jason. I may not go as far as the woman who shot her son's molester, but you can be damned sure I'd listen and take the necessary steps.

And if that didn't work out, then I'd do some shootin'.

Kin better buy that tazer, then.  Tazer = no blood trail.

i'm saddened and sickened by your story by the way, jessica. my heart goes out to you, no one should have to go through that.

Ditto to this.  If I knew someone close to me had been molested and the guy was walking around the streets....hell, he better sleep with one eye open and fear my face.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/27/07 at 11:33 pm

if it fell to the parents rather than the government, i think a lot of this pedophilia flap would evaporate overnight. the point of it is that it's the government wanting more power. that's my point.

war on drugs, war on terror -- same boondoggle. has nothign to do with stopping drugs or fighting terror, it has to do with finding excuses to keep closer tags on the population. i mean, what is this amber alert thing if not a prototype electronic snitch system? the old stasi would have been proud to come up with that stuff.

The Amber Alert is designed to, well, alert the population that a child is missing and that they need to keep their eyes and ears open for any clue that the authorities can use to find the kid.  It's actually not a bad idea and I see no malice or underlying fascism in it, other than slowing traffic down.

I will agree with you that the parents should be more vigilant, but I do not believe that cracking down on pedophilia is a sign of the government trying to assume more power.  There's something inherently wrong with the implication that "the government is evil because it's working to stop bad bad men from raping my little children."

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 11:34 pm

i'm sure most of yall have heard of this but i think it's worth a second look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_fear

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 11:37 pm

The Amber Alert is designed to, well, alert the population that a child is missing and that they need to keep their eyes and ears open for any clue that the authorities can use to find the kid.  It's actually not a bad idea and I see no malice or underlying fascism in it, other than slowing traffic down.

I will agree with you that the parents should be more vigilant, but I do not believe that cracking down on pedophilia is a sign of the government trying to assume more power.  There's something inherently wrong with the implication that "the government is evil because it's working to stop bad bad men from raping my little children."
well, only if you assume the government is benevolent to begin with. otherwise it's an excellent way to train people to view one another with suspicion and offer formal avenues for people to report on one another. which is exactly how the old east german secret police operated. there's a difference in degree, of course, but the idea is the same.

the RFID thing isn't actually a bad idea either, as long as the people who are running the system for you are nice, sweet people. unfortunately, right now they're the same people shipping people off to syria to be tortured and dropping cluster bombs on iraq, so i'm not as inclined as you to be sanguine.

Written By: Jessica on 02/27/07 at 11:39 pm

Ditto to this.  If I knew someone close to me had been molested and the guy was walking around the streets....hell, he better sleep with one eye open and fear my face.

I thank you for your thoughts. I kept it locked up for a very long time and it almost ended with my demise. Luckily, I didn't cut deep enough. That's when I started seeing my school's therapist. She helped immensely, and now when I see topics like this or hear people talking about it, I do bring it up.

I still haven't told any of my family though, except my sister and my cousin. At this point, there is no reason to. My aunt and uncle are getting on in years, and it would only hurt them. I don't think they ever knew that their son was a sketchy son of a bitch, and I know it wasn't their fault he turned out like that. Besides, he's dead, so I say justice is served.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 11:40 pm

I thank you for your thoughts. I kept it locked up for a very long time and it almost ended with my demise. Luckily, I didn't cut deep enough. That's when I started seeing my school's therapist. She helped immensely, and now when I see topics like this or hear people talking about it, I do bring it up.

I'm glad you not only got help, but haven't let it ruin your life.  SOB is lucky he's dead.  I'd off him for you.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/27/07 at 11:42 pm

well, only if you assume the government is benevolent to begin with. otherwise it's an excellent way to train people to view one another with suspicion and offer formal avenues for people to report on one another. which is exactly how the old east german secret police operated. there's a difference in degree, of course, but the idea is the same.

the RFID thing isn't actually a bad idea either, as long as the people who are running the system for you are nice, sweet people. unfortunately, right now they're the same people shipping people off to syria to be tortured and dropping cluster bombs on iraq, so i'm not as inclined as you to be sanguine.

The RFID thing is a VERY bad idea.  I don't want anyone knowing where I am by turning on their SpyBoy :P 

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 11:51 pm

The RFID thing is a VERY bad idea.  I don't want anyone knowing where I am by turning on their SpyBoy :P 

i personally think that the grocery store "preferred shopper" cards and all that stuff is tending us in that direction. more and more bar codes getting tagged with your identity, what you buy, your shopping habits, etc. and now it's going to be in your passport when you get it renewed. it's de rigeur to chip your pets and they're playing with it for prisoners. pretty soon it's gonna be, are you gonna GPS your kid? what's the matter, don't you care what happens to him? what if some molester snatches him? and i figure with that kind of pressure most folks'll go along. from what i've seen most folks pretty much do what they're told.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 11:53 pm

i personally think that the grocery store "preferred shopper" cards and all that stuff is tending us in that direction. more and more bar codes getting tagged with your identity, what you buy, your shopping habits, etc. and now it's going to be in your passport when you get it renewed. it's de rigeur to chip your pets and they're playing with it for prisoners. pretty soon it's gonna be, are you gonna GPS your kid? what's the matter, don't you care what happens to him? what if some molester snatches him? and i figure with that kind of pressure most folks'll go along. from what i've seen most folks pretty much do what they're told.

yes, that's definitely messed up. There is no way I would let someone put a chip in me or my child.  That kind of stuff freaks me out as well.

Written By: Davester on 02/28/07 at 4:46 am

I am SO tired of everytime I turn around, there's another person being charged with being a perverted pedophile.  I watch these Dateline: To Catch A Predator shows, and it literally makes me ill. Then....I turn on the local news, and there's a handful of the same types getting in trouble each day. I am already too much of a paranoid person, and I do not want to be the type of parent that totally shelters my child...but I am just so afraid anymore.  Why aren't these people being administered harsher punishments?  I have watched news show after news show, to know that some of them don't even get charged...and some that do, only get a mere slap on the wrist.  I'm sick of hearing that they need to be "rehabilitated".....it doesn't freakin' work...they get let out, and they just go right back to being the same disgusting creeps that they will always be. This makes me so mad.

Re-arrest Less Likely for Sex Offenders

This is a 1994 study of recidivism rates for 272,111 released inmates from prisons in 15 states which included 9,691 male sex offenders.  Of those, 4,300 were convicted of sex crimes against children...

Most of the child molester's victims, according to the study, were aged thirteen and under, and in half the cases the perp was a relative of the victim...

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/28/07 at 7:37 am

I think times are changing regarding this.  I see parents all too often who are too eager to believe their child was harmed in some way and react without getting any other information other than their child's word.  A neighbor of mine (A) had to threaten to file a restraining order against another parent (B) for spreading rumors based on what her (B) child told her......the lady (B)who almost had the order against her had some SERIOUS egg on her face when the truth came out - that her (B) son was lying through his teeth because he was mad at the 1st mom & her son (A) for getting him in trouble for bullying

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 8:07 am

MMhmm.. why do you think I only ever use cash. Unless it's almost impossible not to.

I know what you're talking about with the culture of fear, but I think the basis of your argument is fundamentally flawed.

The war on drugs, the war on terror, the red scare etc, these are all tools used to keep the population in check.. doing everything possible to make sure paedophiles don't get to nab kids isn't keeping the population in check, it's keeping paedophiles in check.

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 8:10 am

the thing to look out for is, does the threat seem to be exaggerated or misestimated in some way? and with the peedo flap, it most definitely does seem to be. if the gov were really trying to keep peeds in check they'd be monitoring daycares, watching the catholic priests, educating people about being careful leaving their kids with distant family members etc. instead it's all about, boo! someone's gonna jump out of a bush and snatch your kid! it smacks of irrational fear, and that's the easiest kind to exploit.

so no, i disagree. it's not fundamentally flawed.

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 8:21 am

the thing to look out for is, does the threat seem to be exaggerated or misestimated in some way? and with the peedo flap, it most definitely does seem to be. if the gov were really trying to keep peeds in check they'd be monitoring daycares, watching the catholic priests, educating people about being careful leaving their kids with distant family members etc. instead it's all about, boo! someone's gonna jump out of a bush and snatch your kid! it smacks of irrational fear, and that's the easiest kind to exploit.

so no, i disagree. it's not fundamentally flawed.

Hmmm, that's a fair point.

I think the problem is resources.

The government can educate, but to do as you're suggesting and monitor all of these places would cost a vast amount.

I think that's the big problem with 'the war on drugs' the government is spending billions but having no effect. They're only going to discourage x number of people no matter what they do, there'll always be people who are too stupid to have kids who let them run around doing whatever without any sort of thought, same as there'll always be folks who wanna shoot up. Not to deride the old man.. and granted, I grew up in a different time, but when I was 7-8 years old my Dad would feed me in the morning and then say "Go out and play, your ma will have lunch ready by 1." and that was that, I'd be out all day. Who knows what could happen if I'd been growing up now.

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 8:25 am

and yet fed-ex can mail millions upon millions of packages anywhere in the world overnight.

i actually think it would be pretty easy. i just don't think that's the real motivation.

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 9:49 am

and yet fed-ex can mail millions upon millions of packages anywhere in the world overnight.

i actually think it would be pretty easy. i just don't think that's the real motivation.

What would be real easy? Monitoring x number of millions?

What you seem to be suggesting is far more invasive.

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 9:51 am

What would be real easy? Monitoring x number of millions?

What you seem to be suggesting is far more invasive.
you're sorta missing my point. what i'm saying is that the way they're approaching this causes me to question their motives in the first place. i can trust the government to be invasive, but if the threat's even trumped up, it makes me wonder what they're really trying to accomplish, which i think has nothing to do with protecting people from pedophiles in the first place.

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 9:55 am

you're sorta missing my point. what i'm saying is that the way they're approaching this causes me to question their motives in the first place. i can trust the government to be invasive, but if the threat's even trumped up, it makes me wonder what they're really trying to accomplish, which i think has nothing to do with protecting people from pedophiles in the first place.

So.. I get that you're saying you think the threat is over-exaggerated. Of course it is, all threats are over-exaggerated. Fact is, if you underestimate the threat then it really does become a problem. I'm not saying you're gonna have guys in trenchcoats on every corner, but if people aren't at least aware of the threat exisiting, they're not gonna think about it.

Imagine if you will, the anti-virus program. You and I aren't computer retarded, we both know that if you're one of the first people to have the virus get to your machine, it's gonna hurt it, we also both know that the chances of getting a virus are actually quite slim if you're not retarded.... but you still have an anti-virus right? It's just a safety procedure.

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 10:02 am

pedophilia isn't contagious, though. and they already pretty much throw the book at these guys so... i think there are lots of greater problems out there if we're going to be administering limited resources.

but for really tapping into people's fears, you can't do better than random child rapists.

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 10:19 am

pedophilia isn't contagious, though. and they already pretty much throw the book at these guys so... i think there are lots of greater problems out there if we're going to be administering limited resources.

but for really tapping into people's fears, you can't do better than random child rapists.

Greater problems.. in terms of.. what exactly? I'd say Rape comes just below murder and treason in the little list of atrocious crimes.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/28/07 at 12:04 pm

pedophilia isn't contagious, though.

Indirectly it is though.

Children that have been molested are much more likely to molest others when they are adults.  So it often can be passed to the victims of their crimes.  Must the way of other abuses.

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 12:22 pm

Greater problems.. in terms of.. what exactly? I'd say Rape comes just below murder and treason in the little list of atrocious crimes.
i keep saying the same thing. rape, obviously a big problem. but why are the few high-profile abductions by strangers that happen every year eclipsing all the many times children are raped by relatives? i'll tell you why, because the abductions by strangers are scarier. which makes me think the reason it's such a big deal is cuz it's scary not because they're trying to actually fix the problem.

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 12:23 pm

Indirectly it is though.

Children that have been molested are much more likely to molest others when they are adults.  So it often can be passed to the victims of their crimes.  Must the way of other abuses.
the better analogy for this would be a hereditary disorder rather than a contagious one.

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 12:28 pm

i keep saying the same thing. rape, obviously a big problem. but why are the few high-profile abductions by strangers that happen every year eclipsing all the many times children are raped by relatives? i'll tell you why, because the abductions by strangers are scarier. which makes me think the reason it's such a big deal is cuz it's scary not because they're trying to actually fix the problem.

Well, what do you propose the government does about relatives? Tell people not to trust their own family? Put cameras in rooms? I know what you're saying, but the only solutions are examples of a totalitarian state.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 2:21 pm

That's called paranoia. . .and it's why media keeps doing it. . .there were 594 sex crimes committed in Lee County Last Year (most recent study I could find). . .of those 594, 591 were NOT committed by someone on a list.  As for the Sexual Predators getting slaps on the wrist. . .you are stereotyping all Sex Offenders as predators. . .most actual Offenders are NOT pedaphiles. . .they are merely Romeo & Juliet Cases, Flashers and Repeat Prostitutes.  There's even cases where kids themselves are on the registry.  The reason you are scared of them is because that's all you hear about, and the Media & Politicians love it. . .that's why I don't watch the news, it's a form of yellow journalism. . .take the time to meet some of the people on the list or actually get some of their case files, being a "Sexual Predator" is not what it's made out to be.  I mean keep an eye on the kids wether or not a Sex Offender lives in the area, the thing is, no list can protect children, no residency law can either, because statistically according to the FBI, the recedivism rate for Sex Offenders is less than 4% over 3 years. . .that means 96% don't. . .furthermore, most Offenders are first time offenders with no other background (largely because over half of new Offenders are under 25, many being under 18, and their offenses are usually consensual with people aged 14 to 17. . .that's why the list is so misleading). . .there is much to learn on this subject that will give you peace of mind if you are willing to look past "To Catch A Predator" and other such hargwash. . .Did you know, Adam Walsch--one of the many victims a law has been named after--the perp who kidnapped him is unknown, know one can  even say wether or not it was a registered Offender who did it in the first place?  Most people don't--they just assume that all Offenders are Pedaphalistic Predators--and most are far from it. . .there are sickos on the list. . .but the reprecussions for those who do the things you hear on the news are rarely light, they are the 2nd most penalized crime, and the most penalized after serving your time. . .no other felon is denied by as many landlords or employers as Sex Offenders which leads to higher recidivism rates--and in reality considering that a kid is more likely to be killed by a drunk driver, or molested by his/her own parent than a sex offender, I think people really need a reality check on the subject.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 2:22 pm

Dude, I'm sorry, not trying to be rediculous, but you don't think Sex Offenders or Predators existed back then?  No they were more prevalent back then, and unknown which is why it felt safer--but it wasn't. . .that just shows that since you weren't molested, that these laws make people scared (as you admit you are) so they keep voting for such laws and in turn such politicians who prey on Romeo & Juliet cases.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 2:24 pm

b. it makes people paranoid, particularly parents, and fearful of everything around them, and people like that are easier to control, less likely to make a fuss.

You have to be the most reasonable person I've met on InThe00s, I don't think I've ever read a post by you I don't agree with.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 2:27 pm

I like that line too. . .and you should be, you can prevent molestation by being with your kid and knowing who your kid is with. . .the bullets and shootings are scary though and need to be prevented. . .but the politicians aren't on that topic at the moment because it's not as much of a crowd pleaser

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 3:04 pm

Well, what do you propose the government does about relatives? Tell people not to trust their own family? Put cameras in rooms? I know what you're saying, but the only solutions are examples of a totalitarian state.
what karaoke said. you keep talking about solutions, i'm saying the problem's being described erroneously. first step in finding a solution is correctly identifying the problem and that aint happening.

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 3:08 pm

You have to be the most reasonable person I've met on InThe00s, I don't think I've ever read a post by you I don't agree with.
thanks man!

you'll crack up when you find out who i'm thinking for though.

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 3:09 pm

what karaoke said. you keep talking about solutions, i'm saying the problem's being described erroneously. first step in finding a solution is correctly identifying the problem and that aint happening.

Hmmm.

I think we're getting at the same thing here, but from different angles.

You're saying that the main part of the problem is family members.. and I'm saying that family members can't exactly be policed. What do you propose is done to eliminate the threat from family members

Written By: Marian on 02/28/07 at 3:11 pm

That's true,about it getting ratings.These guys also need to grow up and stop being so stupid.One guy came to the house naked because he thought a kid told him he should be naked.Why should he do something because a kid tells him to do it?Idiot.

Written By: Jessica on 02/28/07 at 3:39 pm

That's called paranoia. . .and it's why media keeps doing it. . .there were 594 sex crimes committed in Lee County Last Year (most recent study I could find). . .of those 594, 591 were NOT committed by someone on a list.  As for the Sexual Predators getting slaps on the wrist. . .you are stereotyping all Sex Offenders as predators. . .most actual Offenders are NOT pedaphiles. . .they are merely Romeo & Juliet Cases, Flashers and Repeat Prostitutes.  There's even cases where kids themselves are on the registry.  The reason you are scared of them is because that's all you hear about, and the Media & Politicians love it. . .that's why I don't watch the news, it's a form of yellow journalism. . .take the time to meet some of the people on the list or actually get some of their case files, being a "Sexual Predator" is not what it's made out to be.  I mean keep an eye on the kids wether or not a Sex Offender lives in the area, the thing is, no list can protect children, no residency law can either, because statistically according to the FBI, the recedivism rate for Sex Offenders is less than 4% over 3 years. . .that means 96% don't. . .furthermore, most Offenders are first time offenders with no other background (largely because over half of new Offenders are under 25, many being under 18, and their offenses are usually consensual with people aged 14 to 17. . .that's why the list is so misleading). . .there is much to learn on this subject that will give you peace of mind if you are willing to look past "To Catch A Predator" and other such hargwash. . .Did you know, Adam Walsch--one of the many victims a law has been named after--the perp who kidnapped him is unknown, know one can  even say wether or not it was a registered Offender who did it in the first place?  Most people don't--they just assume that all Offenders are Pedaphalistic Predators--and most are far from it. . .there are sickos on the list. . .but the reprecussions for those who do the things you hear on the news are rarely light, they are the 2nd most penalized crime, and the most penalized after serving your time. . .no other felon is denied by as many landlords or employers as Sex Offenders which leads to higher recidivism rates--and in reality considering that a kid is more likely to be killed by a drunk driver, or molested by his/her own parent than a sex offender, I think people really need a reality check on the subject.

Yes, because 14 year olds totally know what they want out of life. Guess what? I lost my virginity when I was 14 to some guy I barely knew who was old enough to know better. It was back in the day before the "hysteria", but that doesn't make it RIGHT. I was vulnerable at the time and this guy was a real good sweet talker, saying all the things a teenager wants to hear. And I'll give you the ridiculous part of kids being on the sex  predator lists because they got caught playing doctor or whatever. That's just silly. But rapists and people who are into teenagers and shist...no. They don't get my sympathy.

And not to be rude or anything, but this sounds like you're blaming EVERYONE but the sex offender for their crimes. Should I feel sorry for someone who decided it would be fun to rape somebody? Or should I feel sorry for the guy that decided to flash kids in a park? How about the teacher that had sex with their students? Or the 18 year old that had sex with their younger boyfriend/girlfriend? Rental agents don't know what your crimes were. They just see that you were jailed for a sex crime. And if the rental agent was so bold as to ask about it, don't you think said sex offender would be screaming about invasion of privacy? Isn't that what usually happens nowadays when you question someone's background?

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 4:18 pm

Yes, because 14 year olds totally know what they want out of life. Guess what? I lost my virginity when I was 14 to some guy I barely knew who was old enough to know better. It was back in the day before the "hysteria", but that doesn't make it RIGHT. I was vulnerable at the time and this guy was a real good sweet talker, saying all the things a teenager wants to hear. And I'll give you the ridiculous part of kids being on the sex  predator lists because they got caught playing doctor or whatever. That's just silly. But rapists and people who are into teenagers and shist...no. They don't get my sympathy.

And not to be rude or anything, but this sounds like you're blaming EVERYONE but the sex offender for their crimes. Should I feel sorry for someone who decided it would be fun to rape somebody? Or should I feel sorry for the guy that decided to flash kids in a park? How about the teacher that had sex with their students? Or the 18 year old that had sex with their younger boyfriend/girlfriend? Rental agents don't know what your crimes were. They just see that you were jailed for a sex crime. And if the rental agent was so bold as to ask about it, don't you think said sex offender would be screaming about invasion of privacy? Isn't that what usually happens nowadays when you question someone's background?

I feel quite disgusted at people like John Couey. . .but a 14 year old having sex with a 15 year old in many states gets a person on that list for life, it's a fact, and if you don't believe me check Delaware's registry, that's when I first started changing my mind, when I saw literally dozens of little kids who had sex with people in the same age group as when they were convicted. . .and in YOUR case YOU were taken advantage of--that's a form of rape. . .that is much different from who I believe doesn't belong on that list. . .that jerk that took advantage of you did just that--take advantage of you. . .however a 15 year old and her/his 18 year old senior boyfriend is another story entirely, so are the ones who lie about their age to get into adult clubs and then meet someone intending to have sex. . .I see what you are saying, and I agree--but the list contains many many many people who are close in age, sometimes a few years, sometimes a few weeks, and it happens a lot more than people like to admit.  It's easy for you to say that because you are a victim of a particularly disgusting man. . .however, many cases are much different from yours.  I'm not talking a 40 year old with a 14, I'm talking a 15 year old with a 14, or a 20 year old who meets a 15 year old in a night club that does a poor job checking IDs, or an 18 year old who has a 16 year old boy/girl friend. . .that's what the registry also contains. . .which are often labelled under the same crime category as the pervert who took advantage of you. . .there is a huge difference that is not taken in to account, not because they can't--but because they refuse to take the time, and as a result, people don't know the difference. . .I'm sorry to disagree, and I do hate that there are sickos out there who the kind of things that happen to you, as a victim of rape myself when I was 18--and as a man-that is hard to accept--I can relate, but the bigger picture is, I feel that by listing so many people on the list who aren't like the guy who took advantage of you, how are we protecting children from what happened to you. . .the other thing is disgusting as the case was with the guy who did what he did to you, I question--was he on the registry?  I don't know and I won't guess-but they usually aren't, in my case, my perp wasn't, and once they get caught (like mine did) they usually spend a lot more time in prison than most think---I just think degrees of seperation are needed, and more understanding about what exactly constitutes a sex offense.  What that, now late, guy did to you is totally different from the majority of those who DO get caught have done, and even those who did do things like in your situtation who do eventually get out, it's almost always an inter-family thing. . .once it is known, the family usually (not always) disones the guy and the guy is stuck in therapy for years upon release, after which wether people like to hear it or not, recidivism is less than 4%, it's a fact of life that is hard for most to hear--especially victims, but I know to protect children--I have to be realistic. . .simply getting as many people as we can on some internet website and then using as a tool to harrass and deny employment only makes things worse--it drives them underground, where police can't check on them and helps the ones who ARE stranger-danger type cases blend in (like John Couey and David Onstott did) with the rest of the Romeo & Juliet/Flasher Cases and do it again. . .Reality Hurts. . .and I'm sorry to have to say all that, but I believe my siblings are in far greater danger today because of these laws than they were when I was a child.

Written By: La Roche on 02/28/07 at 4:29 pm

I understand what you're saying.. about people on the list with convictions from when they were 15 years old and such like.

When I go out round the bars and such like, I see girls that CAN'T be 18 (Or hell.. 16, which is the age of consent here) but they're in the same bars I am. How is anybody supposed to make that judgement?

It's a thin line.

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 7:02 pm

Hmmm.

I think we're getting at the same thing here, but from different angles.

You're saying that the main part of the problem is family members.. and I'm saying that family members can't exactly be policed. What do you propose is done to eliminate the threat from family members
there's really not much you can do from the enforcement angle. this society's sorta saturated in terms of enforcement, since unfortunately i think there's a poverty of imagination out there and enforcement or brute force are pretty much the first solution people turn to to solve just about any problem, unfortunately.

the culture's pretty messed up. i mean, do a keyword search on "lolita" and you'll know what i mean. basically the prohibition against sexualizing minors has created this massive industry in playing around with that line, and it's not just in pornography, t.v. and movies sexualize minors regularly and portray it as a kind of forbidden fruit. if ways of understanding lustful feelings toward young people weren't surrounded in this great massive taboo, along with this massive enticement, it would open up a window for starting to say to people, look, you might groove on people who are underage from time to time, and that's not necessarily that abnormal. but if you act on it, look at all the damage you'll cause to the person, and probably also to yourself. i think this would start to get at the problem for people who act on these impulses but have consciences, but don't necessarily understand what they're doing because the culture is teaching them that 14-year-olds want and can handle sex.

as for the ones without conscience, i'm not exactly sure. the jail option seems to be the only one available. i know it's fun to talk about chemical castration and all that but a. there's that pesky constitution, and b. you may want to live in a society where your tax dollars go to castrate people (as well as torture people and carpet bomb people, etc.), but i for one do not. that's a sign of an ultraviolent, diseased society and such stuff has all sorts of unforeseen cultural consequences -- not the least exactly the sort of sicko lolitaporn that i started off this excessively windy post talkign about.

the answer is having MORE morals, basically, not less. and sterilizing and castrating people is immoral, no matter what they've done.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 8:48 pm

I understand what you're saying.. about people on the list with convictions from when they were 15 years old and such like.

When I go out round the bars and such like, I see girls that CAN'T be 18 (Or hell.. 16, which is the age of consent here) but they're in the same bars I am. How is anybody supposed to make that judgement?

It's a thin line.

Exactly dude. . .Exactly. . .I have a problem with that being considered the same as someone who intentionally takes advantage of little girls or boys like say Teacher Child Molestors and such. . .but then if you ever have to sell alchoal you'll see them come in with fake IDs and such and they use those same IDs to get into bars. . .I mean, my best friend serve almost 2 months in jail for selling alchoal to a minor who used a fake ID. . .but the guy in the ID was of the same description and such as the minor--but the minor was using his older brother's ID. . .the kid got off with a fine to his parents, the brother claimed he didn't know the kid stole the ID, and my friend got jail, a criminal record and on top of everything--community service hours because a kid lied. . .not that people don't take advantage of 14 and 15 year olds, but that in my opinion is not consentual, but a kid who lies their way into these illegal situations, that's a new ball game, thanks for the comment, I'm glad you saw what I was getting at. . .

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 8:56 pm

there's really not much you can do from the enforcement angle. this society's sorta saturated in terms of enforcement, since unfortunately i think there's a poverty of imagination out there and enforcement or brute force are pretty much the first solution people turn to to solve just about any problem, unfortunately.

the culture's pretty messed up. i mean, do a keyword search on "lolita" and you'll know what i mean. basically the prohibition against sexualizing minors has created this massive industry in playing around with that line, and it's not just in pornography, t.v. and movies sexualize minors regularly and portray it as a kind of forbidden fruit. if ways of understanding lustful feelings toward young people weren't surrounded in this great massive taboo, along with this massive enticement, it would open up a window for starting to say to people, look, you might groove on people who are underage from time to time, and that's not necessarily that abnormal. but if you act on it, look at all the damage you'll cause to the person, and probably also to yourself. i think this would start to get at the problem for people who act on these impulses but have consciences, but don't necessarily understand what they're doing because the culture is teaching them that 14-year-olds want and can handle sex.

as for the ones without conscience, i'm not exactly sure. the jail option seems to be the only one available. i know it's fun to talk about chemical castration and all that but a. there's that pesky constitution, and b. you may want to live in a society where your tax dollars go to tax people (as well as torture people and carpet bomb people, etc.), but i for one do not. that's a sign of an ultraviolent, diseased society and such stuff has all sorts of unforeseen cultural consequences -- not the least exactly the sort of sicko lolitaporn that i started off this excessively windy post talkign about.

the answer is having MORE morals, basically, not less. and sterilizing and castrating people is immoral, no matter what they've done.

I don't care who you think for, you are like a God. . .anyway. . .um, one thing else on that Chemical Castration bit. . .unfortunately it doesn't work because most rapists are doing it because they want power and control, which castration doesn't stop. . .and then the actual pedaphiles. . .they have an unnatural love for children. . .but I love the idea that those who can be helped get help--since there is evidence it does help and as a society, it has been shown what stops reoffense. . .I mean I'm not saying a sexual offense, even the ones I don't believe should be on the registry (well except minors consenting with minors--that shouldn't be a crime to the minors involved), don't deserve to be punished, they do--but the list doesn't protect minors--it puts them in danger because outside the smoke screen--Offenders have been committing suicide, feeling like they have nothing to lose--and that dangerous--when someone has nothing to lose---well look at David Onstott or John Couey and you'll see what happens. . .I'm gald we can pretty much agree on a consensus at an intellectual level on the fact we all have common views of what is a real sex offense and whats not, the Criminal Justice system is one of the few topics that get me riled up, and sex offense laws have gotten almost comical to the point in many states/cities, the recidivism rates have increased as a result of the over-zealous laws. . .similar actually to the drug scenario, or the prostitution scenario---many things many things, but I'll save Drugs and Prostitution for if and when I see related topics. . .:)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/07 at 9:10 pm

I don't know for a fact whether or not sexual predation against children is more prevalent today than in the past.  Within families and family friends, it's probably just more reported today than it was forty years ago.

It is possible--I'd say likely--that predation by strangers happens at a higher rate today because we have become less communitarian in the last half century.  There are just a lot more strangers around town.  Hard to say for sure.

I do agree with Tia that it is much more likely to happen within the family and some of the media sensationalism has created undue hysteria.  It's better to err on the side of caution when it comes to children and strangers, but the way some people are gripped by fear and rage over the issue is counterproductive.  

The Dateline stings in which they pose an adult as a 13-year-old and lure in the would-be predators might bring more awareness about online stranger danger, but for the most part it's entertainment.  I'm watching it thinking, "You're 52-years-old, you look like Homer Simpson, and you're talking dirty and sending pics of your pathetic schlong to somebody in a chatroom...and you think this somebody is a cute 13-year-old pixie who wants nothing more than to be deflowered by you.  Do you really think that?  Really?"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/28/07 at 9:14 pm

Sexual Predators scare the crap out of me, since there is no real way, of finding out, who is one, and where they can strike next.

They make me sick.  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/07 at 9:16 pm

Oh, and having the hots for 16-year-olds and having the hots for 4-year-olds are two very different things.  I do not endorse the former, but it's more understandable. 16-year-olds in this culture may not be socially ready, but the biological equipment is there.  

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 9:17 pm

I don't know for a fact whether or not sexual predation against children is more prevalent today than in the past.  Within families and family friends, it's probably just more reported today than it was forty years ago.

It is possible--I'd say likely--that predation by strangers happens at a higher rate today because we have become less communitarian in the last half century.  There are just a lot more strangers around town.  Hard to say for sure.

I do agree with Tia that it is much more likely to happen within the family and some of the media sensationalism has created undue hysteria.  It's better to err on the side of caution when it comes to children and strangers, but the way some people are gripped by fear and rage over the issue is counterproductive.  

The Dateline stings in which they pose an adult as a 13-year-old and lure in the would-be predators might bring more awareness about online stranger danger, but for the most part it's entertainment.  I'm watching it thinking, "You're 52-years-old, you look like Homer Simpson, and you're talking dirty and sending pics of your pathetic schlong to somebody in a chatroom...and you think this somebody is a cute 13-year-old pixie who wants nothing more than to be deflowered by you.  Do you really think that?  Really?"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

You last comment is classic!  Karma for that one. . .

Written By: Tia on 02/28/07 at 9:20 pm

Sexual Predators scare the crap out of me, since there is no real way, of finding out, who is one, and where they can strike next.

that's the idea. same thing with serial killers, terrorists, being in a plane crash, killer bees -- anything that comes out of the blue and can strike you or someone you love at random. does it matter that it's very rare? no, because it crawls up in your head and can make you sick with worry, same as a lot of people get white knuckles on airplanes even though statistically it's for all intents and purposes perfectly safe.

that crawl-up-in-your-head aspect of it makes it a really effective propaganda and entrainment tool. same as the terrorist thing. terrorists could blow up your office! molesters could snatch your children! drug-addled lunatics could attack and kill you for the 20 bucks in your wallet! they're everywhere! put your trust in us and don't question our policies... or you'll die.

with run of the mill menaces, even ones that are much more dangerous -- heart disease, say, or car accidents -- you figure, oh, i have control over that, i can just watch what i eat and hey, i'm this really great driver. but anything where you have no control, you have to either accept the fact that it MIGHT happen -- though it probably won't -- or trust someone else to protect you. even though they probably aren't really even trying. they just want you to shut up.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/07 at 9:21 pm

I do think there are fewer than the media would have you believe, but any number is too many.  All it takes is for your child to, godforbid, cross paths with one...only one.  Just ask John Walsh or Mark Klaas!

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 9:25 pm

I do think there are fewer than the media would have you believe, but any number is too many.  All it takes is for your child to, godforbid, cross paths with one...only one.  Just ask John Walsh or Mark Klaas!

Sorry had to make a comment

Adam Walsh's perp is unknown, he assumed it was a sex offender, but that was an assumption. . .no one knows who killed Adam because they have no real leads...no one to persecute, so while John will say it was a sex offender, he is actually guessing, because that is unknown. . .Mark Klass rings a bell. . .but I have fallen out of touch with that story, can't remember it. . .but well I won't go into it. . .my posts already say what I want to say. . .the main thing is there is a difference between Sexual Predators and most who are currently labelled as such or Offenders. . .it's inspired fear, lunacy, and a slu of ineffective laws.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/28/07 at 9:27 pm

Adam Walsh's perp is unknown, he assumed it was a sex offender, but that was an assumption. . .no one knows who killed Adam because they have no real leads...no one to persecute, so while John will say it was a sex offender, he is actually guessing, because that is unknown. . .Mark Klass rings a bell. . .but I have fallen out of touch with that story, can't remember it. . .but well I won't go into it. . .my posts already say what I want to say. . .the main thing is there is a difference between Sexual Predators and most who are currently labelled as such or Offenders. . .it's inspired fear, lunacy, and a slu of ineffective laws.

Mark Klaas's daughter Polly was abducted during a sleepover at her house, sexually assaulted and murdered.  I believe he was executed a few years ago.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/07 at 9:32 pm

You last comment is classic!  Karma for that one. . .

Thank you, thank you...but it's only funny in a sick way because it shows how sick these guys are.  Some of those creeps have actually seen the Dateline episodes.  They know the modus operandi, and yet they just can't he'p it!  The mere concept of boinking a pubescent girl or boy overrides all rationality.  So, parents, make sure your kid isn't upstairs chatting with Captain Howdy!
:o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/07 at 9:38 pm

I thought Adam Walsh was a victim of a serial killer from Florida named Ottis Toole.  Ottis was also an accomplice and **** buddy of Henry Lee Lucas, who claimed to have killed over 400 people.  The two of them were prolofic serial murderers, but Lucas kept inflating the number so he could get out of cell to help the cops find bodies he knew weren't there.  "Nope, no skeletal remains in that culvert, musta been I dumped her in the one down the road about 100 miles...we go to Dairy Queen now, right?"
:P

Written By: spaceace on 02/28/07 at 9:57 pm

My sister (yes, you heard me correctly) is a sex offender.  She is on the Georgia Sex Offenders Registry.  I was abused by her for 10 years.  From the age of 6 to 16. 
First of all you cannot tell if some one is a sex offender/predator by looking at a person.  I feel much safer knowing that she has to register.  I tried to press charges against her years ago, but I was told I couldn't because we were both minors and sister's just don't do that to each other.  Basically I was called a lier.  She was put behind bars for 7 years because a five year old told her parents. 
I suffer from PTSD from the crap that my sister did to me.  Because of the statute of limitations I will never get justice.  All though I did get the authorities after her when she didn't register one year.

Sorry for rambling.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/28/07 at 10:00 pm

My sister (yes, you heard me correctly) is a sex offender.  She is on the Georgia Sex Offenders Registry.  I was abused by her for 10 years.  From the age of 6 to 16. 
First of all you cannot tell if some one is a sex offender/predator by looking at a person.  I feel much safer knowing that she has to register.  I tried to press charges against her years ago, but I was told I couldn't because we were both minors and sister's just don't do that to each other.  Basically I was called a lier.  She was put behind bars for 7 years because a five year old told her parents. 
I suffer from PTSD from the crap that my sister did to me.  Because of the statute of limitations I will never get justice.  All though I did get the authorities after her when she didn't register one year.

Sorry for rambling.

Karma.  I'm sorry about what you had to go through, and thank you for sharing your story.  Your story touches on something that you hear a lot about....females molesting other females.  People don't think it can happen, the same as some people don't think women can rape.  Anyone, male or female, has the ability to commit a sexual crime against another human being.  It's a damn shame. 

Written By: spaceace on 02/28/07 at 10:06 pm

Karma.  I'm sorry about what you had to go through, and thank you for sharing your story.  Your story touches on something that you hear a lot about....females molesting other females.  People don't think it can happen, the same as some people don't think women can rape.  Anyone, male or female, has the ability to commit a sexual crime against another human being.  It's a damn shame. 

It's so taboo people don't talk about it. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/07 at 10:26 pm

Sorry for rambling.

karma to you....I am also really sorry for what you had to go through.

Written By: Jessica on 02/28/07 at 10:29 pm

Sorry for rambling.

That is horrible and sad that no one believed you. I'm sorry you had to deal with that crap. :(

Written By: spaceace on 02/28/07 at 10:31 pm

That is horrible and sad that no one believed you. I'm sorry you had to deal with that crap. :(

It's only now that kids are being believed when they tell.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/07 at 10:35 pm

Dude, I'm sorry, not trying to be rediculous, but you don't think Sex Offenders or Predators existed back then?  No they were more prevalent back then, and unknown which is why it felt safer--but it wasn't. . .that just shows that since you weren't molested, that these laws make people scared (as you admit you are) so they keep voting for such laws and in turn such politicians who prey on Romeo & Juliet cases.

first of all, I'm not a dude. Second of all....yes, I do believe it was safer when I was younger.  Yes...there were pervs back then....but I do think it has gotten progressively worse over the past 20+ years.  Parents were not afraid to let their children outside to play for an entire day back then....but now I would do no such thing...call it paranoia, or whatever the hell you want to call it.  And, btw...I do happen to unfortunately know a sex offender (pedofile)....and he's on the registered list....but I just found out that he has been babysitting a 2 year old, even though he is not supposed to be around any children. This is why these people should not be allowed back out in society....if they are found to have sexually abused a child, then they shouldn't be able to ever have the chance to even be near any of them.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/28/07 at 11:09 pm

first of all, I'm not a dude. Second of all....yes, I do believe it was safer when I was younger.  Yes...there were pervs back then....but I do think it has gotten progressively worse over the past 20+ years.  Parents were not afraid to let their children outside to play for an entire day back then....but now I would do no such thing...call it paranoia, or whatever the hell you want to call it.  And, btw...I do happen to unfortunately know a sex offender (pedofile)....and he's on the registered list....but I just found out that he has been babysitting a 2 year old, even though he is not supposed to be around any children. This is why these people should not be allowed back out in society....if they are found to have sexually abused a child, then they shouldn't be able to ever have the chance to even be near any of them.

Well believe what you want, I won't even go into anything on the sex offender, whose crime you don't mention, who is babysitting a 2 year old that you don't say if there is a relationship to, and you don't mention anything other than he's a sex offender, which is automatically a pedaphile too apparently. . .and wether or not he's suppossed to be around children depends on wether or not he is on probation, but again swept under the rug. . .I know my stance, you know yours, I'm done in this thread, because like Abortion and Gay Rights, some people are set in their opinions.  I see things from both sides of the fence. . .and do on everything. . .and you know what, I'll spare my story, it was horror as I'm sure it was for others in here who have been victims of sexual crimes. . .but at the same time, I know that hate, and feeling comfortable that he is now on a list, and everything I initially felt--they led me to suicidal thoughts, they had me blaming myself for what happened to me--I'm a man, how could I not have fought back harder, how could I have given in so easily. . .that drove me nuts, I'm not about to get wrapped up in some internet list, it didn't protect me because I didn't protect me. . .as a young adult I didn't have a parent to protect me. . .and that is something parents should do with or without some internet list.  Look up some conviction dates for who is on the list, many cases are very old. . .from when you were a kid. . .they have always existed. . .but I can't continue this conversation, it rings too many old bells about an incident I'd rather forget, that I was able to put behind me by not focusing on Sex Offenders and Pedaphiles, but instead on what could actually prevent it--I guess in my mind, saving someone else is more important than revenge--which is all that list is--revenge, and in many cases it's not even that. . .but I drop it. . .I can't argue with paranoia, because paranoia will always be paranoia.

Written By: Tia on 03/01/07 at 5:28 am

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-24-sex-crimes-cover_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

"These girls, all believed to be sexually molested by men and two of them killed, have generated headlines, prompted states to stiffen penalties against offenders and caused many parents to fear their child could be next.

Yet gut-wrenching as these high-profile cases are, they don't tell the whole story of sex offenders in America. They don't reflect the surprisingly good news: Sex crimes against children have dropped dramatically in the last decade. An online national sex-offender registry was launched in July. And recent research shows doctors can better predict which offenders may strike again.

"There's a success story here," says Roxanne Lieb, director of Washington state's Institute for Public Policy. She sees a "trickle-down effect" as famous cases raise public awareness and legislatures toughen public policy.

The headline-grabbing cases tend to be anomalies, because kids are rarely abused by strangers, and even less often killed."

Written By: La Roche on 03/01/07 at 8:39 am

Oh, and having the hots for 16-year-olds and having the hots for 4-year-olds are two very different things.  I do not endorse the former, but it's more understandable. 16-year-olds in this culture may not be socially ready, but the biological equipment is there. 

Tell that to almost every county in Europe. The age of consent is generally 16.

Written By: Marian on 03/01/07 at 11:21 am

It's only now that kids are being believed when they tell.
Actually that's not true.Kids were being believed back in the 80s,and there were overzealous cops who wanted to be seen as heroes quickly.There are kids(back then) who wwere pressured about being thrown in jail if they didn't "tell the truth".here have been nasty custody cases where a parent or grandparent would coax a child to claim sex abuse even if it didn't happen.

Written By: spaceace on 03/01/07 at 12:30 pm

Actually that's not true.Kids were being believed back in the 80s,and there were overzealous cops who wanted to be seen as heroes quickly.There are kids(back then) who wwere pressured about being thrown in jail if they didn't "tell the truth".here have been nasty custody cases where a parent or grandparent would coax a child to claim sex abuse even if it didn't happen.

Are you referring to "false memories"?  Yes, that did happen in some cases.  But child sexual abuse was not fully taken seriously or how it impact a child until the late 90's.  Coincidentally Marion, I was sexually abused in the 80's  and told authorities what happened.  I was not believed.

Written By: Marian on 03/01/07 at 1:22 pm

Are you referring to "false memories"?  Yes, that did happen in some cases.  But child sexual abuse was not fully taken seriously or how it impact a child until the late 90's.  Coincidentally Marion, I was sexually abused in the 80's  and told authorities what happened.  I was not believed.
Well not even false memoroes.These kids were actually coerced into saying they were abused,or else bad things would haoppen.A guy on a tal;k show had parents who were accused of sex abuse when he was a kid.they questioned his older brother .then they questuiioned him and siad his brother was in jail because he didn't tell the truth.so he kind of had to say stuff to stay out if trouble.because he was alittle kid he didn't feel he could stand up to them.

Written By: spaceace on 03/01/07 at 1:32 pm

Well not even false memoroes.These kids were actually coerced into saying they were abused,or else bad things would haoppen.A guy on a tal;k show had parents who were accused of sex abuse when he was a kid.they questioned his older brother .then they questuiioned him and siad his brother was in jail because he didn't tell the truth.so he kind of had to say stuff to stay out if trouble.because he was alittle kid he didn't feel he could stand up to them.

I do remember hearing about that kid of stuff happening.  I don't think that the public made it an issue till the 90's.  I can remember that that was one of the tricks used in many divorces.  I don't think the child was being thought of then, it was basically a game playing technically among parents or guardians.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/01/07 at 1:35 pm

Sorry for rambling.

That's just awful.  :(

Written By: spaceace on 03/01/07 at 1:44 pm

That's just awful.  :(

Yeah well, she's a waste case with hepatitis B and God knows what else.  I'm a political lobbyist in training.  I live and breath because she told me I was nothing.  HA!

Written By: Jessica on 03/01/07 at 1:45 pm

Yeah well, she's a waste case with hepatitis B and God knows what else.  I'm a political lobbyist in training.  I live and breath because she told me I was nothing.  HA!

As the saying goes, "The best revenge is a life well lived."

Written By: spaceace on 03/01/07 at 1:47 pm

As the saying goes, "The best revenge is a life well lived."

Exactly.

Check for new replies or respond here...