inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Big Boned or just Over Weight?

Written By: Tam on 03/01/07 at 12:00 pm

There isn't a news article with this thread.
Just a question.

For years we have heard the expression "Big Boned" and I read it today in Rice's post in the Neglect thread, which got me to thinking.
On Celebrity Fit Club, Dr. Ian dispelled the myth. He said there is no such thing as big boned and proved it with x-rays of Bone Crusher and another male.
I haven't been able to find research on it as of yet, although I haven't really tried looking.

If being big boned is true, and let's say I were big boned, then would it also be safe to say that if I dieted and exercised and watched what I ate, then I would be able to change my bone size? I would think not.

Granted, there is something in our genealogy that codes what body type we have, like daughters who get the inherited hips from their Mothers etc....
My sister and I are from the same mother and father, yet my sister has always been "big boned", although she calls herself "Pleasantly Plump".

What are your thoughts on the idea that the term big boned is real?

Subject: Re: Big Boned or just Over Weight?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/01/07 at 12:15 pm

I don't really think there is such a thing as being big boned.  I think that people are born with certain metabolisms, and that some people gain weight easier than others, but I think the whole big boned idea is incorrect.  Even if someone had bigger than average bones it wouldn't affect the amount of fat they were carrying on their body.  Bones don't get fat - tissue does.  So how in the world can you say that you are heavy because of your bones?  I mean, how much does the average skeleton weigh?  So big bones might weigh what, 10 pounds more?  It just doesn't make an sense.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/01/07 at 12:19 pm

I think your frame can have some effect on the way your fat/muscle/whatever appears, and, of course, what has a natural tendency to be accented (or, as some folks call it, "where the fat goes"). I think "big boned" is a misnomer in that it's not actually about bone size, but I do think certain frames have a tendency to cause certain areas to be larger or larger-appearing than they would be on other people. That's not say everyone with a similar frame would end up fat, but rather that those with that frame who are larger people would show it in a more obvious or perhaps less culturally accepted manner.

I'm also probably completely wrong and deserving of a trout slap from Dr. Ian.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/01/07 at 12:50 pm

I think your frame can have some effect on the way your fat/muscle/whatever appears, and, of course, what has a natural tendency to be accented (or, as some folks call it, "where the fat goes"). I think "big boned" is a misnomer in that it's not actually about bone size, but I do think certain frames have a tendency to cause certain areas to be larger or larger-appearing than they would be on other people. That's not say everyone with a similar frame would end up fat, but rather that those with that frame who are larger people would show it in a more obvious or perhaps less culturally accepted manner.

I'm also probably completely wrong and deserving of a trout slap from Dr. Ian.

You bring up a really good point.  I used to work with a guy that had a very different shape.  He had really narrow shoulders, and really wide hips.  He was a little bit overweight, but it was all in his hips, so he just looked kind of odd.  I always felt really bad for him.  If he had a different body type, he would have looked a lot thinner than he was.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 1:00 pm

"Big Boned" is true, to a point.  But often, people just use that as an excuse for being fat.

A lot has to do with a person's lifestyle, and eating habits.  Look at Carnie Wilson.

People may well have looked at her and said "Big Boned".  But once she finally lost that excess 100+ pounds, she looked just like anybody else, no evidence of "big bones" at all on her.

I actually tend to have somewhat the opposite problem, because nobody can believe by looking at me that I weigh over 200 lbs.  But between bicycling and skiing as a kid, I have unusually large and muscular thighs.  I rip out "straight leg" jeans within weeks, and have to wear "loose fit".  I also have a larger then normal chest for my height and weight, which makes buying suits "off the rack" almost impossible.  Either the pants fit and the jacket is to tight, or the jacket fits and the pants are large enough for 2 of me to crawl into.

Personally, I have a problem with people that are grossly overweight.  My boss at my second job actually disgusts me.  He must weigh in at over 400 lbs, and I just can't take him seriously.  Every time I see him, I just see somebody with no control over himself.  And I can't respect people with no self-control.

Written By: Jessica on 03/01/07 at 1:09 pm

Personally, I have a problem with people that are grossly overweight.  My boss at my second job actually disgusts me.  He must weigh in at over 400 lbs, and I just can't take him seriously.  Every time I see him, I just see somebody with no control over himself.  And I can't respect people with no self-control.

I take great offense to this. Just because someone is grossly overweight doesn't mean that they have no self control. Unless you've seen him stuffing his face with craptacular food, you don't know if he has a medical problem or what. And don't give me any BS about there being no such thing as medical conditions that cause this.

Furthermore, if you get into the pattern of eating a lot, you CAN get addicted to food. That is why they have Overeater's Anonymous and other programs to help with that.

I was almost 400 lbs. It was caused by my eating to get over problems I had in my life and just unconsciously putting food in my mouth. It does happen, and IMO, is on par with bulimia and anorexia, and deserves to be treated as an eating disorder.

I also don't buy surgery as a quick fix. I busted my ass then (and now) to lose the excess weight. You have to change your whole lifestyle. You can't just rely on tying up your stomach to eat less.

On topic, I'm not sure about the big boned theory. I always thought it was more of an expression than an actual physical thing.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/01/07 at 1:13 pm

I've always used to term big-boned to describe myself. My mother and I were the same height but my shoulders were much broader than hers, her shoe size was a 6.5 and mine is a 10, if we held our hand up against each other mine was a lot bigger.  I've lost and gained weight throughout my life and even when I was at my thinnest these things didn't change.  

I guess when I say big-boned to me it's more about a persons frame.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 1:21 pm

I take great offense to this. Just because someone is grossly overweight doesn't mean that they have no self control. Unless you've seen him stuffing his face with craptacular food, you don't know if he has a medical problem or what. And don't give me any BS about there being no such thing as medical conditions that cause this.

You misunderstand what I was saying.

But yes, I do stand behind the part about somebody having no (or little) self control.  Loosing Weight is really not all that hard, if somebody is willing to do it.  And I am not talking about somebody 20-50 pounds overweight either.  Think more of John Candy and John Goodman at their worst.  Not those that are borderline obese, like Drew Carey and Rosie O'Donnel.  I look at Drew & Rosie and see somebody "big".  But neither of them is grossly fat.  I am talking about those that are grossly fat.  To the point where they need seatbelt expanders, and pay for 2 tickets to fly, because their butt is to big for the seat.

There are plenty of medical reasons for somebody to be overweight.  I can simply see no medical reason for somebody to be 200+ pounds overweight.  And when somebody eats a large pizza for lunch & dinner every day, that means they have a serious problem.  They have no self-control.

Hey, I eat my share of "Junk Food", but I moderate it.  I bring home 3-4 medium pizzas a week, and each one lasts for 2-3 meals.  In two days, this guy eats more then I do in a week.  That is a problem.

Written By: Jessica on 03/01/07 at 1:32 pm

You misunderstand what I was saying.

But yes, I do stand behind the part about somebody having no (or little) self control.  Loosing Weight is really not all that hard, if somebody is willing to do it.  And I am not talking about somebody 20-50 pounds overweight either.  Think more of John Candy and John Goodman at their worst.  Not those that are borderline obese, like Drew Carey and Rosie O'Donnel.  I look at Drew & Rosie and see somebody "big".  But neither of them is grossly fat.  I am talking about those that are grossly fat.  To the point where they need seatbelt expanders, and pay for 2 tickets to fly, because their butt is to big for the seat.

There are plenty of medical reasons for somebody to be overweight.  I can simply see no medical reason for somebody to be 200+ pounds overweight.  And when somebody eats a large pizza for lunch & dinner every day, that means they have a serious problem.  They have no self-control.

Hey, I eat my share of "Junk Food", but I moderate it.  I bring home 3-4 medium pizzas a week, and each one lasts for 2-3 meals.  In two days, this guy eats more then I do in a week.  That is a problem.

I don't think I misunderstood you. Morbidly obese=offensive to you. Am I correct? ::)

And yes, it IS hard to lose weight when you have been fat for most of your life. It is hell on earth when you are used to eating whatever you want. It's a daily struggle to do the exercises without flaking on them.

And you didn't answer my questions. DO YOU know if your boss has a medical condition or problems at home that cause him to overeat? Or are you just assuming he lives to eat?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 1:37 pm

Saying offensive things about overweight people, IMO is about as smart as saying the same things about thin people. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/01/07 at 1:45 pm

I consider this prejudice.  How can you denounce racism (like you did on the Kenneth Eng thread) and then come out with something like this?  I realize it isn't exactly the same thing, but you are lumping a group of people together for one reason and feeling superior to them.  Like Jess said, you don't know what goes on in people's lives.  Why not try to be a little more sensitive?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/01/07 at 4:32 pm

If someone is 200+ pounds overweight I see a medical problem.  It is like the one that killed Chubby in the Little Rascals.  He was 18 and 300 pounds.  A very close friend of my sister died, she wasn't quite 50 and 400 pounds, in a wheel chair.  There wasn't anything the doctors could do, it was some wierd glandular thing, the body attacks itself and there was nothing that could be done.  The stomach stapling and in hospital diet did nothing for her. It was sad.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 5:18 pm

I consider this prejudice.  How can you denounce racism (like you did on the Kenneth Eng thread) and then come out with something like this? 

Because in reality, probably less then 10% of those that are "Morbidly Obese" have medical conditions.  The majority are just what they look like:  big fat pigs.

Look, and read what I am saying.  I am not saying I do not like them.  I am not saying they are lesser people, or that they should be discriminated again.  I am simply saying that I, personally, don't respect them.  In much the same way I can't respect somebody who does not bathe, or has gambling, drinking, or drug problems (and refuses to get help for those problems).  And before you jump on me for this, remember that I come from a long family of alcoholics.

I know 3 people who are classified as "Morbidly Obese".  And no, none of them have medical problems (other then those caused by being overweight).  We have a box of candy (Tootsie Rolls and the like) that we keep at the front counter of our store.  One of these guys often comes in 3-4 times a week, and eats the entire box of candy.  I am not talking 5 or 6 pieces, but probably 1/4 pound of candy at a sitting.  He weighs over 350 lbs, and the most he ever walks is from to and from his car.  Most of his evenings are spent in bars, drinking huge amounts of beer and eating buffalo wings by the dozen.

People like this are weak.  They are unable to control themselves, and I do not feel any pity for them.  Because they have caused their own problems.

If this offends anybody, I am sorry.  But that is how I feel.  Unlike being Homosexual or Black (which a person can't do anything about - nor should they), a person can make the decision to loose weight (or not to gain weight in the first place).  Simply put down the chocolate doughnut, switch from Double Woppers to Salads, and get off your fat behind and start walking.  It will take time, but it is something that should be done before it kills them.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 5:21 pm

big fat pigs.

Was that necessary?  As an overweight person, not morbidly obese, but I could stand to lose a few....I find that degrading and hurtful.  This to me is no different than calling a gay man a f*g.

Written By: La Roche on 03/01/07 at 5:25 pm

At 6'1 and 210 I look good.

I'm 230.. I like cheeseburgers.

Summer of '05 I got down to 185 and looked BAD! Really bad.

Now, I dunno about big boned or anything, but I know that under 200 lbs I don't look right. of course, average weight for someone at 6'1 is like 180 or something.. I look like a leukemia patient at 185, never mind 180.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/07 at 5:47 pm

My sister was always refered to as being "big boned". However, one time she lost a lot a weight (how she lost it was not too kosher). She was as thin as the rest of us. Of course the weight came back (when she was no longer doing non-kosher stuff). One time she told me that she was sick and didn't eat anything for 4 days-and she gained weight. :o  She has come to conclusion that she will always have extra weight-due to thyroid and probably other conditions.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/07 at 6:07 pm

Was that necessary?  As an overweight person, not morbidly obese, but I could stand to lose a few....I find that degrading and hurtful.  This to me is no different than calling a gay man a f*g.

He doesn't disrespect them or think they're lesser people, he just thinks most obese people are what they look like, "big fat pigs."  There's no way you can argue this attitude could promote any kind of discrimination.
::)

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/01/07 at 6:13 pm

Because in reality, probably less then 10% of those that are "Morbidly Obese" have medical conditions.  The majority are just what they look like:  big fat pigs.

Look, and read what I am saying.  I am not saying I do not like them.  I am not saying they are lesser people, or that they should be discriminated again.  I am simply saying that I, personally, don't respect them.  In much the same way I can't respect somebody who does not bathe, or has gambling, drinking, or drug problems (and refuses to get help for those problems).  And before you jump on me for this, remember that I come from a long family of alcoholics.

I know 3 people who are classified as "Morbidly Obese".  And no, none of them have medical problems (other then those caused by being overweight).  We have a box of candy (Tootsie Rolls and the like) that we keep at the front counter of our store.  One of these guys often comes in 3-4 times a week, and eats the entire box of candy.  I am not talking 5 or 6 pieces, but probably 1/4 pound of candy at a sitting.  He weighs over 350 lbs, and the most he ever walks is from to and from his car.  Most of his evenings are spent in bars, drinking huge amounts of beer and eating buffalo wings by the dozen.

People like this are weak.  They are unable to control themselves, and I do not feel any pity for them.  Because they have caused their own problems.

If this offends anybody, I am sorry.  But that is how I feel.  Unlike being Homosexual or Black (which a person can't do anything about - nor should they), a person can make the decision to loose weight (or not to gain weight in the first place).  Simply put down the chocolate doughnut, switch from Double Woppers to Salads, and get off your fat behind and start walking.  It will take time, but it is something that should be done before it kills them.

I respect your opinion, but to say you don't have respect for a person sole upon their weight, and because they do not meet you visual approval is less than a noble position that has no defence or justification....

What I don't understand is why it is so easy for you to classify someone as weak because they eat too much...

And for the record, losing weight, is not that easy. If that were so the US would have the large number of overweight adults and children.

We have many persons who are weak in many areas that you don't see or are not readily visable, but I don't instantly judge them as weak or have no respect for them because they do not outwardly show a flaw in their character...

Even the gambler, alcoholic or druggie gets at least the benefit of the doubt before you find out their problem, but an obese person doesn't get that same courtesy?

I'm not really clear on your position here, how can you state that you don't believe they are a lesser person or that you don't like them, but you just don't respect them? You like people that you don't respect? How?

Wouldn't you agree those who judge others on their outward appearance to be "weak" in their moral makeup?

Written By: La Roche on 03/01/07 at 6:19 pm

He doesn't disrespect them or think they're lesser people, he just thinks most obese people are what they look like, "big fat pigs."  There's no way you can argue this attitude could promote any kind of discrimination.

Same way all Liberals are "Whacko commie pig dogs" right?  ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 6:19 pm

You don't think calling someone a "big fat pig" is disrespectful?  And where did I say it promoted discrimination?  I said it was degrading and hurtful. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/07 at 6:39 pm

the most he ever walks is from to and from his car.  Most of his evenings are spent in bars, drinking huge amounts of beer and eating buffalo wings by the dozen.

People like this are weak.  They are unable to control themselves, and I do not feel any pity for them. 

Gee 'Shroom.  I didn't know we worked at the same place.

By the way we're running low on Tootsie Rolls.  :P

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 6:49 pm

Maxwell pretty well said my belief *thanks Max*.

And remember, I am not talking about people who are "overweight".  People like Drew Carey, Rosie O'Donel, Carnie Wilson (during the beginning of her "Wilson-Phillips" fame), myself, and the like.  Yes, that is overweight, but it is within reason.

I am talking about those that are grossly overweight.  The kind that need to buy Levi jeans with a 55" waist.  Somebody with a 40" waist has a minor issue, but somebody with a waist like that (55") has a serious problem, and is normally not willing to do the work nessicary to do anything about it.

And if I "got lazy", I would be one of the very people I am talking about very easily.  But I do things to keep my weight within a zone that I am comfortable with.  And any time I started to gain more then I liked, I made changes to correct it.  Unlike the mom of the 8 year old boy that started this topic.  At 8, he is 150% of my weight, and nobody can dispute that he is grossly fat.  If this continues, try to imagine what he will look like and weigh when he is a full-grown adult.

Now, I dunno about big boned or anything, but I know that under 200 lbs I don't look right. of course, average weight for someone at 6'1 is like 180 or something.. I look like a leukemia patient at 185, never mind 180.

I have gone through weight problems myself.  At times, I have gone from 170-230 withn 3 months.  But I changed my diet, and worked it off.  Within the last 10 years, I have gone from 160 to 240, to the 210 where I am now.  I have a 35" waist, and tend to float between 34-36" (depending on my recent diet and activity).  Since 1993, my waist has gone from as low as 30", to as much as 38".  But remember, this is not what I am talking about.

And if somebody is particularly "buff", they will weigh more (muscle weighs more then fat).  In fact, in the early 1990's, the military changed it's height-weight scale, to include a body fat rating for those (like me) who tend to have more muscle.  I could almost never pass conventional height-weight, but my bodyfat count was always within regulation.

Thanks Max.  And I would never promote or endorse any kind of discrimination against people simply because of their weight.  But that does not mean I am not allowed to think of them as weak.  I do not call them "big fat pigs", I simply think of them as "big fat pigs".

And BTW, I actually picked that term because it is a segment I love from "History Of The World Part 1":

Let's face it. What's the rage today?  Losing weight is all the rage.  Everybody in Rome is either in a steam room or a vomitarium.
Half of Rome is either cooking or puking!
But you can't blame these people for wanting to be thin.
Who wants to look like a big fat pig?

Sadly, a few people seem to be taking the Emperor's role in this:

Did he say "Big fat pig"?
Yes, he did, sire.
Did he mean me?
I believe so.

One time she told me that she was sick and didn't eat anything for 4 days-and she gained weight. :o  She has come to conclusion that she will always have extra weight-due to thyroid and probably other conditions.

Fasting can actually make a person gain weight.  If your body has to start "living off it's fat", it will try to build it back up again as soon as possible.  It also shuts down certain body functions (menstration, lactation, muscle activity) in order to try and conserve fat.  That is why so many people have problems with diets.  Diets and pills can only go so far in loosing weight.  A person has to make a lifestyle change if they really want to loose weight.

You don't think calling someone a "big fat pig" is disrespectful?  And where did I say it promoted discrimination?  I said it was degrading and hurtful. 

I repeat what I told Max a moment ago:

I would never promote or endorse any kind of discrimination against people simply because of their weight.  But that does not mean I am not allowed to think of them as weak.  I do not call them "big fat pigs", I simply think of them as "big fat pigs".

After all, I am sure that Max often thinks of me as a "Reactionary Fascist Neocon Christian Conservative", but he does not normally call me one.  Well, at least very often.  8)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 7:00 pm

Was that the unabridged version of War and Peace?  My word.

I don't care what your reasoning is, whether you think it or say it, it's hurtful.  As a heavy person, I can tell you.....people don't make note of the difference between people who are just overweight and people who are morbidly obese.  They see fat people and that's that.  So to me, it's hurtful and degrading and honestly, it's juvenile.  It's stuff I expect children who weren't taught right by their parents to do.  I see really heavy people or I see really skinny people, I don't sit there and in my head, come up with really nasty things to say about them.  I just don't.  I have better things to do.  Being heavy, I'm already self-conscious about the way I think people see me. 

Written By: La Roche on 03/01/07 at 7:13 pm

MMmm, I can see what you're saying.

I was argueing more words than thoughts.

Max likes to jump on me whenever I call anybody anything, which is fine, I'm consistent. I was suprised by the hypocracy.

Anyhow - I think things need to be taken relativley.

A good for instance is my uncle, standing about 6'5 and tipping the scale at around 325. Now.. the fact that he spends about 3 hours a day lifting weights and spends his evenings physically ejecting drunks from bars apparently means nothing, cus he takes a 50 some inch waist.  ;)

Now.. there are so many factors. For instance, as I've said earlier, I definatly consider myself overweight, I could stand to drop about 20lbs (Of course, I'll still be saying that in 30 years) but regardless.. if I gained 10lbs, would I be obese? Not as far as I'm concerned. I'm freakin fit. I play soccer and rugby every week and routinly outplay skinny guys who are worn out after 30 minutes. Yet in theory, if I tipped the scales at say 250, I'd be obese? Where's the logic there?

Here's my take on it.

If you sit on your ass all day shoving cheeze-doodles down your throat, watching 'as the world turns' (or whatever that s**t's called and then complain because your XXXXL sweatpants with the elastic waist don't fit. Oooh screw you.. I hope your ass dies you weak minded assclown.

However.. if you go to work everyday... have the occasional cheeseburger.. and maybe pizza, cus the kids really want it.. and you slip from 190... to 200... to 220.. and by the time you know it, you're sitting in your size 44 chino's and wondering where your toes went.. nah, that's normal, that's human.

Hell, I'm happy to let myself go now.  ;D I'm sure I've passed on my genetic material at some point in the past.. my work here is done.

A lot of the problem is image. Beth calls herself heavy.. or whatever.. I'd nail her. No question about it. Sorry if that's crude, but she's an attractive girl. Now, I think she is confident enough to know that, but so many people aren't.. and we enter 'The shame-burger with guilt on the side'. Poor bastards eating shed loads of food because they think "Oh what the hell, it makes no difference." and boredom. Sometimes at 2 in the morning I'll wander out to my kitchen and make myself a big ass sandwich.. simply because I have nothing better to do. Is it because I'm hungry - Noooo.. I'm bored.

I personally think the parameters are retarded.. one of my best friends, Dave.. is a real thick set guy. He's like a neanderthal. There's not much fat on him, but he plays rugby with us every week and is a muscle packed apeman. He's about 5'6 and on a weight to height scale I'll bet he's considerd obese.. yet he regularly runs rings around us all.. What the hell?

The guy that's obese is the circular dude with the Hardee's box and the Smock.. not me or Dave./

Written By: Tia on 03/01/07 at 7:14 pm

"Big Boned" is true, to a point.  But often, people just use that as an excuse for being fat.

A lot has to do with a person's lifestyle, and eating habits.  Look at Carnie Wilson.

People may well have looked at her and said "Big Boned".  But once she finally lost that excess 100+ pounds, she looked just like anybody else, no evidence of "big bones" at all on her.

I actually tend to have somewhat the opposite problem, because nobody can believe by looking at me that I weigh over 200 lbs.  But between bicycling and skiing as a kid, I have unusually large and muscular thighs.  I rip out "straight leg" jeans within weeks, and have to wear "loose fit".  I also have a larger then normal chest for my height and weight, which makes buying suits "off the rack" almost impossible.  Either the pants fit and the jacket is to tight, or the jacket fits and the pants are large enough for 2 of me to crawl into.

you have to be the most wonderful person i have ever met, mushroom. we're all so truly and deeply honored to know you. maybe someday, with great focus and diligence and devoted spiritual and self-improvement work, we can all become one-tenth the vision of perfection into which you've managed to sculpt yourself.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 7:15 pm

A lot of the problem is image. Beth calls herself heavy.. or whatever.. I'd nail her. No question about it. Sorry if that's crude, but she's an attractive girl. Now, I think she is confident enough to know that, but so many people aren't.. and we enter 'The shame-burger with guilt on the side'. Poor bastards eating shed loads of food because they think "Oh what the hell, it makes no difference." and boredom. Sometimes at 2 in the morning I'll wander out to my kitchen and make myself a big ass sandwich.. simply because I have nothing better to do. Is it because I'm hungry - Noooo.. I'm bored.

I personally think the parameters are retarded.. one of my best friends, Dave.. is a real thick set guy. He's like a neanderthal. There's not much fat on him, but he plays rugby with us every week and is a muscle packed apeman. He's about 5'6 and on a weight to height scale I'll bet he's considerd obese.. yet he regularly runs rings around us all.. What the hell?

The guy that's obese is the circular dude with the Hardee's box and the Smock.. not me or Dave./

I can always count on you for a compliment, Andy.  I agree with you, BTW.

Written By: La Roche on 03/01/07 at 7:18 pm

Say that to this guy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/05/Rikishi2.jpg/200px-Rikishi2.jpg

;D

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 7:31 pm

And as for this:

Is this your cute way of saying people who take offense to this are "big fat pigs"?  Because that's what it's coming across as to me.

No, it is my way of saying that all to often, people are reading into things far to much.

What I am basically saying is that some people have this tendency to take something, and just assume that I am talking about everybody, or that I am talking about them in particular.  If you remember the sequence, Comicus was actually just telling a joke.  However, the Emperor assumed that Comicus was talking about him, and behaved like he was.

And can anybody in here honetly tell me that they do not look at people, and often make some kind of internal opinion, based purely on something physical?  Like weight, or odd hair color (pink, orange), or a large number of body piercings or tattoos?  Or the kind of clothes they wear?

I have been talking about how I may perceive somebody, not how I would treat that person.  Heaven help us if we get so "Politically Correct" that I am not allowed to have my own personal opinion, simply because it may offend somebody.  But if I treated somebody different because of their weight, then you (and everybody else) would have every right to persecute me for being a bigoted moron.

A lot of the problem is image. Beth calls herself heavy.. or whatever.. I'd nail her. No question about it. Sorry if that's crude, but she's an attractive girl.

With only 1 exception, every gal I have ever dated would basically be classified as "BBW".  So obviously, I do not have a problem with somebody who is "overweight".  In fact, my late fiancee for a while weighed around 200 lbs, and she was only 5' tall.  But I did not think of her as "fat", and it made no impact on how I felt about her.

Women tend to be more weight-conscious then men.  That is why "eating disorders" are almost only found in women.  I think that I am being misunderstood in what I consider "grossly overweight".

Say that to this guy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/05/Rikishi2.jpg/200px-Rikishi2.jpg

My boss is bigger then that, but without the muscles.  He literally has to walk through doorways sideways, and his car sinks 3-4" on his side when he gets in.

The guy in that pic (whoever he is) is very muscular, and probably has a very low bodyfat count (it is probably even lower then mine).  I would in no way consider him as being "overweight".

Written By: La Roche on 03/01/07 at 7:33 pm

No, it is my way of saying that all to often, people are reading into things far to much.

What I am basically saying is that some people have this tendency to take something, and just assume that I am talking about everybody, or that I am talking about them in particular.  If you remember the sequence, Comicus was actually just telling a joke.  However, the Emperor assumed that Comicus was talking about him, and behaved like he was.

And can anybody in here honetly tell me that they do not look at people, and often make some kind of internal opinion, based purely on something physical?  Like weight, or odd hair color (pink, orange), or a large number of body piercings or tattoos?  Or the kind of clothes they wear?

I have been talking about how I may perceive somebody, not how I would treat that person.  Heaven help us if we get so "Politically Correct" that I am not allowed to have my own personal opinion, simply because it may offend somebody.  But if I treated somebody different because of their weight, then you (and everybody else) would have every right to persecute me for being a bigoted moron.

With only 1 exception, every gal I have ever dated would basically be classified as "BBW".  So obviously, I do not have a problem with somebody who is "overweight".  In fact, my late fiancee for a while weighed around 200 lbs, and she was only 5' tall.  But I did not think of her as "fat", and it made no impact on how I felt about her.

Women tend to be more weight-conscious then men.  That is why "eating disorders" are almost only found in women.  I think that I am being misunderstood in what I consider "grossly overweight".

My boss is bigger then that, but without the muscles.  He literally has to walk through doorways sideways, and his car sinks 3-4" on his side when he gets in.

The guy in that pic (whoever he is) is very muscular, and probably has a very low bodyfat count (it is probably even lower then mine).  I would in no way consider him as being "overweight".

I do know what you mean by grossly overweight, but the point I've been making is that the technical applications of the terms like 'grossly overweight' are often flawed.. any sensible person could see that.

It's solofa fatu and trust me, he's a big fat guy. I met him down in Dallas a few years back, dude's packed away the pizza for sure!

;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 7:35 pm

And can anybody in here honetly tell me that they do not look at people, and often make some kind of internal opinion, based purely on something physical?  Like weight, or odd hair color (pink, orange), or a large number of body piercings or tattoos?  Or the kind of clothes they wear?

I absolutely do not make judgments about people based on their weight.  Being heavy, it would be highly hypocritical of me to do so.  And if I saw people walking around my area with weird and funky colors I might say something like, "Wow....that's bright" but it wouldn't be something the person would find hurtful if they heard me.  It would kill me if I was walking around the mall and someone said, "Look at that cow".....so why would I do that to someone else?  It makes no sense to me.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/01/07 at 7:40 pm

I need to gain weight :P

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 7:47 pm

A good for instance is my uncle, standing about 6'5 and tipping the scale at around 325. Now.. the fact that he spends about 3 hours a day lifting weights and spends his evenings physically ejecting drunks from bars apparently means nothing, cus he takes a 50 some inch waist.  ;)

I totally dismiss "Height-Weight" scales.  Almost every one of them is so horribly out of whack it is laughable.

To give an idea, I have found that my "Ideal Weight" is between 175-185 (I am around 20 lbs over that now).  But according to the Marine Corps, my maximum weight is 169.  However, since around 1992, they have allowed you to exceede that as long as your body fat is below 18% for males, and 26% for females.  And even at 210, I fall within around 15% body fat.

And remember, this is the Marine Corps.  When I think "Obese", I think of people who are more like 50%+ body fat.  Not (as it says in the commercial), somebody with "15-20 vanity pounds".  Or even 50-75 lbs excess weight.  I mean those that are close to (or over) half of their weight being obvious fat.  And most of us can tell the difference between somebody who is muscular, "big but fit", and "grossly fat".

I absolutely do not make judgments about people based on their weight.  Being heavy, it would be highly hypocritical of me to do so.  And if I saw people walking around my area with weird and funky colors I might say something like, "Wow....that's bright" but it wouldn't be something the person would find hurtful if they heard me.  It would kill me if I was walking around the mall and someone said, "Look at that cow".....so why would I do that to someone else?  It makes no sense to me.

I would never say anything.  Not even as a whisper to somebody I knew.  Remember, this is all purely "internal" with me.  And I would not behave or act or talk any differently to that person then I would with anybody else.

Oh, and I just looked at a few of your pictures.  And in all honestly, I would in no way ever consider you as being "fat".  Not even close.  Not even in the same neighborhood.

And not to sound "gross" (because I am close to double your age) or "sexist" (because I am a guy and you are not), but you actually fall within the range of what I personally consider to be an almost perfect weight for what attracts me.  You would have to be over double your current weight to have me start to consider you as "grossly overweight".

Does that give you a bit better idea what I mean when I use that term?

Written By: Tia on 03/01/07 at 7:53 pm

And remember, when someone begins a sentence by saying "remember," they're about to patronize you.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 7:55 pm

And remember, when someone begins a sentence by saying "remember," they're about to patronize you.

;D  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/01/07 at 7:55 pm

I'm 5'8" and around 155.  Am I underweight?  :\'(

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 7:57 pm

I'm 5'8" and around 155.  Am I underweight?  :\'(

Do your hip bones stick out like wings?

Do wandering musicians use your ribcage as a xylophone?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/01/07 at 8:03 pm

Do your hip bones stick out like wings?

Do wandering musicians use your ribcage as a xylophone?

No, but grown men think I'm a girl from behind :D

Written By: spaceace on 03/01/07 at 8:06 pm

Chocolate milk and Twinkies in mass quantities.!!!! :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/01/07 at 8:08 pm

Actually I'm going to start working out in earnest next quarter since I'm stuck on campus most of the day anyway and my schedule is much more relaxed.  Gonna try to gain muscles and stuff.  If I'm gonna look like a woman, I wanna be like that Bowflex chick with the chiseled abs and biceps and the tight buttocks.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 9:23 pm

So that explains why I saw Fat Bastard sniffing around your house the other night.  ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 10:08 pm

I have always been overweight during my lifetime. Around 7 years ago...I got totally obsessed with losing weight (exercising like 3 times a day...eating things like lettuce leaves with tuna....stuff like that). I managed to lose some weight (but not nearly as much as a "normal" person would have lost, doing all of the things I was doing).  The numbers on the scale were not extremely low though, they've never been. At my lowest, I weighed around 155...and I was in a size 10-12 jeans....but to look at me...I looked WAY thinner.  I know that I probably could never be a person that could get down to 125 lbs and wear a size 4...it just wouldn't happen. I don't know if it is the fact that I have more muscle..or what?

But anyway....I have gained that weight back, and now I am once again trying to lose it (which is always a struggle for me). I have never been the type to totally over indulge with food...I have a very slow metabolism...and if I am not literally exercising the entire day...it is nearly impossible for me to lose a substantial amount of weight.

I know what "type" of obese person you are talking about Mushroom....but I would never even think to classify someone as a fat pig, or have no respect for them. What I feel for them is sadness...because, even at the current weight I am, I feel so deeply horrible about myself...I couldn't even imagine what those people who are very very large must feel like. I feel that I have been discriminated due to my being overweight...and I have seen certain people's expressions in regards to the fact that I am not slim...I can't even imagine what these people have to endure every second of their lives, due to their extreme weight.  Losing weight has to be one of the most difficult things...ever, IMO...and I can't even imagine having  to lose 400 lbs and more, like some of them do.  It's just so sad how society puts so much emphasis on weight issues...and I am not even talking about "severely obese" people...I'm talking about just overweight people....you do get treated so much better when you are thin.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 10:39 pm

I have always been overweight during my lifetime. Around 7 years ago...I got totally obsessed with losing weight (exercising like 3 times a day...eating things like lettuce leaves with tuna....stuff like that). I managed to lose some weight (but not nearly as much as a "normal" person would have lost, doing all of the things I was doing).  The numbers on the scale were not extremely low though, they've never been. At my lowest, I weighed around 155...and I was in a size 10-12 jeans....but to look at me...I looked WAY thinner.  I know that I probably could never be a person that could get down to 125 lbs and wear a size 4...it just wouldn't happen. I don't know if it is the fact that I have more muscle..or what?

I It's just so sad how society puts so much emphasis on weight issues...and I am not even talking about "severely obese" people...I'm talking about just overweight people....you do get treated so much better when you are thin.

This is something I really don't understand.  I simply can't picture seeing any adult (much less a female) who weighs 155 (or even 185), and think of them as "fat" (unless they are something like 3'2").

Personally, I think that people tend to put way to much emphasis on weight.  They see somebody 10 lbs over their "ideal" weight, and say they are fat.  Not only do I think this is wrong, but it does a great dis-service.  It gives these people a lower self-esteme, and also reenforces the desire among some women to become "dangerously thin".

A great many of the "Classic Beauties" in recent history were what today would be known as "Big Women".  Marilyn Monroe herself ranged from a size 10 to a size 12.  And she was in no way fat.  Our societies obsession with "being thin" is something I never understood.

And to be honest, I find people who are horribly thin as disgusting as people who are horribly fat.  I feel pity for them, because they have fallen into this delusional belief that "thin is in", and that that is what people want.  Just recently we had 2 "super models" who are sisters both die of eating disorders.  This is a tragedy, and just as dangerous as morbid obesity.

And just like I mentioned with Electrophile, I find absolutely nothing wrong with your body or size (yes, I peeked at your pics also).  I see absolutely nothing wrong with your weight, and can't understand why you or anybody else would think you are "heavy".

I did go out on a date with a "thin" girl other then the one I mentioned.  We dated exactly one time.  We went out to dinner, and I ate a meal, feeling uncomfortable as she only took a few bites from her small salad.  She was about my height (5'9"), and could not have weighed more then 90 lbs.  We went dancing a bit later, and when we danced close I could actually feel her hip bone pressing against mine (it was sharp, almost painful).  And during most of the night, she was constantly talking about how hard it was to keep her weight down.  It was very uncomfortable for me, because I kept thinking that if anything else, she needed to add another 20-40 lbs.  I dropped her off at home, and never went out with her again.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 10:44 pm

This is something I really don't understand.  I simply can't picture seeing any adult (much less a female) who weighs 155 (or even 185), and think of them as "fat" (unless they are something like 3'2").

Personally, I think that people tend to put way to much emphasis on weight.  They see somebody 10 lbs over their "ideal" weight, and say they are fat.  Not only do I think this is wrong, but it does a great dis-service.  It gives these people a lower self-esteme, and also reenforces the desire among some women to become "dangerously thin".

A great many of the "Classic Beauties" in recent history were what today would be known as "Big Women".  Marilyn Monroe herself ranged from a size 10 to a size 12.  And she was in no way fat.  Our societies obsession with "being thin" is something I never understood.

And to be honest, I find people who are horribly thin as disgusting as people who are horribly fat.  I feel pity for them, because they have fallen into this delusional belief that "thin is in", and that that is what people want.  Just recently we had 2 "super models" who are sisters both die of eating disorders.  This is a tragedy, and just as dangerous as morbid obesity.

And just like I mentioned with Electrophile, I find absolutely nothing wrong with your body or size (yes, I peeked at your pics also).  I see absolutely nothing wrong with your weight, and can't understand why you or anybody else would think you are "heavy".

I did go out on a date with a "thin" girl other then the one I mentioned.  We dated exactly one time.  We went out to dinner, and I ate a meal, feeling uncomfortable as she only took a few bites from her small salad.  She was about my height (5'9"), and could not have weighed more then 90 lbs.  We went dancing a bit later, and when we danced close I could actually feel her hip bone pressing against mine (it was sharp, almost painful).  And during most of the night, she was constantly talking about how hard it was to keep her weight down.  It was very uncomfortable for me, because I kept thinking that if anything else, she needed to add another 20-40 lbs.  I dropped her off at home, and never went out with her again.

thank you for the compliment.  I just have always felt this way about myself.  After losing that weight (and getting down to 155)...I felt SO thin and happy...that's why I wish I could get back down to that size (oh, and also because I saved all of my "skinny" clothes).  I agree that it is very unfortunate how society puts pressure on women to be thin....and to be honest with you...I've always found bigger women to be very attractive...curvy women are very sexy, IMO.  I never could understand the fixation on "stick" figures....I'd never want to be THAT thin, infact.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 11:00 pm

I know I'm fat.  I'm not going to delude myself or convince myself I'm something I'm not.  It's healthier to accept what you are and deal with it, than live in Fantasyland and think I'm a perfect size 6.  It bothers people when I say that because they think I'm putting myself down, but fact is fact.  If I said I was stupid, or lazy or untrustworthy.....that would be putting myself down. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/07 at 11:11 pm

I couldn't agree more. I've often made those points myself whenever that very subject comes up.

Different looks work for different people. The reality is, people are always their own harshest critic (myself included), and that's human nature to an extent. But it shouldn't go so far to where people are freaking out about being, like 10-20 pounds overweight, like it's some huge deal. I think that's an equally sad commentary on the world, if society is (even indirectly) making people (younger women especially) feel this way about themselves.

And yeah, like I've said before too, Erin - you're attractive the way you are. I wouldn't consider you overweight either.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/07 at 11:21 pm

I couldn't agree more. I've often made those points myself whenever that very subject comes up.

Different looks work for different people. The reality is, people are always their own harshest critic (myself included), and that's human nature to an extent. But it shouldn't go so far to where people are freaking out about being, like 10-20 pounds overweight, like it's some huge deal. I think that's an equally sad commentary on the world, if society is (even indirectly) making people (younger women especially) feel this way about themselves.

And yeah, like I've said before too, Erin - you're attractive the way you are. I wouldn't consider you overweight either.

:-* :-* :-*

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/01/07 at 11:23 pm

I think there is some truth to the "big boned" idea.  My son is 11 and almost as tall as me and his wrist is about 1 1/2" larger than mine in diameter.  Hubby's wrist is also larger than the "average male".  According to what I've read on the subject of weight issues, the way to determine your "frame" is to look at your wrist.  It only makes sense that if you put 10# of fat on something that is larger, it will look larger and vice versa with smaller....if you ever talk to someone who does the "guess my age/weight/birth month" at an amusement park or fair how they guess the weight, one of the tricks is to look at someone's wrist....

AFA "big boned" = "fat", it's all a matter of perspective.  I have a friend who is the same height as me, weighs less, but wears a larger size in clothes and if you ask someone who weighs more/less, they will probably say she weighs more and I weigh less.  If you compare our wrists, hers can completely hide mine (and about 1/2 of my forearm).  I am very small boned and it amazes people when I tell them how much I actually weigh because I don't look as "heavy" as the scale says I am.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 11:36 pm

I agree that it is very unfortunate how society puts pressure on women to be thin....and to be honest with you...I've always found bigger women to be very attractive...curvy women are very sexy, IMO.  I never could understand the fixation on "stick" figures....I'd never want to be THAT thin, infact.

I feel the same way.  Let's just say that when I hug somebody, I want to feel hugged.  To me, my ideal weight for most women of average height would be in the 175-200 lb range.  And I would see absolutely nothing wrong with somebody 20-30 lbs over that.  My last gf (a year and a half ago) was in the 210 range.  My gf before that (1998) was also in the 200 lb range.  Both my late fiancee and ex-wife were of a similar build.  But none of them were "fat" in my eyes, all were in very good physical shape and condition, they were simply "large figure".

And no, that "figure" had nothing to do with my attraction for them.  Both my ex-wife and late fiancee were much thinner when I first got together with them.  They simply changed with the progress of time (as did I), and the fairly natural physical reaction to child birth.  In fact, my fiancee actually loved how she "got a figure" after the birth of our son, going from a 34b to a 36d.  People stopped mistaking her for a young boy after that.   ::)

My problem (as I keep saying) is those that are horribly large (and equally, horribly thin).  It is simply something I simply can't understand.  I see somebody like that and wonder what is so wrong with that person, that they eat themselves to that state (or starve themselves).  It is unhealthy, and not at all attractive.

I know I'm fat.  I'm not going to delude myself or convince myself I'm something I'm not.  It's healthier to accept what you are and deal with it, than live in Fantasyland and think I'm a perfect size 6.  It bothers people when I say that because they think I'm putting myself down, but fact is fact.  If I said I was stupid, or lazy or untrustworthy.....that would be putting myself down. 

Electrophile, you are in no way fat.  Trust me there.  This is exactly what I mean about our societies "unhealthy obsession with thin".  They take people (mostly women), and try to brainwash them into thinking that they should be a size 4-6.  This is the exact type of thing that killed Karen Carpenter.

I have seen pictures of Karen throughout her career.  I was even lucky enough to have been able to see her and her brother during the height of their fame.  And I still can't see how she ever thought of herself as "fat".  But that obsession kills thousands of girls and women every year.  And it is a shame and a tragedy.

Remember, Marilyn was normally a size 10-12.  Her wedding dress with Joe Garagiola was a size 14.  When she died, she was a size 16.  While most people today tend to think that is "to big", 50 years ago that was considered to be a "perfect body".  And Jane Mansfield?  Most people today would consider her to be a cow, since she wore a size 16 dress.  And Anita Ekberg (actress and Miss Sweeden 1951) was also a size 16.  Mae West wore a size 18.

To show how sick our societies obsession with weight can be, consider this.  The waist measurement of a size 2 dress is 23".  The waist measurement of a 4T (clothes designed for a 4 year old) is also...  23".  And you will find very few todlers that are 4 years old that can actually wear a 4T.  Most of them outgrow that by age 3.  The waist of a size 4 dress is the same waist as a chidrens small dress.  That is designed for a child in the 6 year age range.

Now that is truely sick.  But our society actually tries to brainwash adult women into the idea that is how they should look.

Now here is a question for the guys.  Nicole Ritchie varies between a size 0 and a size 2.  Nicole Kidman wears a size 6-8.

Which one would you rather be seen with?

Personally, I would rather be with somebody with the build of Melanie Lynskey (size 12) or Jennifer Connelly (size 14).  As the title of the movie says, "Real Women Have Curves".

And back to the original topic, "big boned" can explain differences in weight, like maybe from 20-50 lbs.  But I simply can't see how you can look at somebody that is around 500 lbs, and explain it away as "big boned".  That is not big boned, that is just fat.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/01/07 at 11:42 pm

Remember, Marilyn was normally a size 10-12.  Her wedding dress with Joe Garagiola was a size 14.  When she died, she was a size 16.  While most people today tend to think that is "to big", 50 years ago that was considered to be a "perfect body".  And Jane Mansfield?  Most people today would consider her to be a cow, since she wore a size 16 dress.  And Anita Ekberg (actress and Miss Sweeden 1951) was also a size 16.  Mae West wore a size 18.

To show how sick our societies obsession with weight can be, consider this.  The waist measurement of a size 2 dress is 23".  The waist measurement of a 4T (clothes designed for a 4 year old) is also...  23".  And you will find very few todlers that are 4 years old that can actually wear a 4T.  Most of them outgrow that by age 3.  The waist of a size 4 dress is the same waist as a chidrens small dress.  That is designed for a child in the 6 year age range.

Now that is truely sick.  But our society actually tries to brainwash adult women into the idea that is how they should look.

Now here is a question for the guys.  Nicole Ritchie varies between a size 0 and a size 2.  Nicole Kidman wears a size 6-8.

Which one would you rather be seen with?

Personally, I would rather be with somebody with the build of Melanie Lynskey (size 12) or Jennifer Connelly (size 14).  As the title of the movie says, "Real Women Have Curves".

And back to the original topic, "big boned" can explain differences in weight, like maybe from 20-50 lbs.  But I simply can't see how you can look at somebody that is around 500 lbs, and explain it away as "big boned".  That is not big boned, that is just fat.
I think I remember reading recently that Marilyn was about a size 10, which is a size 16 now.....Karen Carpenter was in a size 4 when she died, which is the equivalent to a girl's 10 or 12 (I think). 

There's also an overlap between kid/adult sizes.  We just went to buy underwear for the oldest today and found out that a boys XL is the same size as a Men's M (and about 1/2 the price).... :o  We bought some of each and I just checked them and they're the exact same size ::)

AFA dress size 2 being a 23" waist, well, it depends.  I wear a size 2-4 skirt and I have a larger waist than 23".  I think the average for a size 2 is 25" (mind you this is simply based on my experience, not a formal knowledge).  The 4T sizing is also questionable.  Granted, I've only had boys, but their sizes run even bigger and a 4T (besides having additional space for a diaper) is nowhere near a 23" waist.....that's more like a boys' size 8, which is about a girls' size 14.  My middle guy has a 22" waist and he wears a 10 slim (which is about the same waist as an 8, but he needs the length of a 10).

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 11:52 pm

I think I remember reading recently that Marilyn was about a size 10, which is a size 16 now.....Karen Carpenter was in a size 4 when she died, which is the equivalent to a girl's 10 (I think).  We just went to buy underwear for the oldest today and found out that a boys XL is the same size as a Men's M (and about 1/2 the price).... :o  We bought some of each and I just checked them and they're the exact same size ::)

That is one thing I did not mention:  that sizes have changed over the years.

The sites I used to find the dress sizes used conventional sizes.  When Marilyn started her career, she was a 10 (today's measurement).  During the height, she was normally around a 12.  And by today's sizes, she ould be a 16 when she died.

And I defy anybody to tell me that Marilyn was "fat".

At one time, being "Full Figured", "wide hipped" and "pleasingly plump" were all considered to be good things.  Most of the "ideal women" in classical statues and paintings would fall into the same range as Marilyn, Jane Mansfield and Mae West.

But today, everything seems to be about being thin.  Fit a size 4 dress.  Fit into your prom gown from 20 years ago.  Be able to wear your 15 year old daughter's jeans.  I find it disgusting.

And I would be quite proud to walk into a club with either Quirk or Electrophile on my arm.  Although people would more then likely think I was their father, and not their date.  :-[

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/02/07 at 12:06 am

To me....these people are my idea of sexy and beautiful (with beautiful bodies as well):

Mae West
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1285/maewestimgbu3.jpg

Mia Tyler
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2516/0207rz3.jpg

Kathy Najimy
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/9020/loungingld0.jpg

Queen Latifah
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6623/queenlatifahc11811969kl0.jpg

Kimberly Locke
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/9798/kimberley20locke20greenwj6.jpg

Ricki Lake
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3498/r3279510513ux2.jpg

Written By: Gis on 03/02/07 at 1:32 am

I sincerely hope you don't hanker after being a size 6 way too thin!

To agree with what Erin said it's alot to do with build and how the weight sits on you and how you carry yourself. I am tall and people often think I am thinner than I am. My friend at work refused to believe I was wearing a size 14 (not sure what size that is in the U.S) skirt until I hitched it up and showed her the label! My sister looks fabulous and she is a larger size. she has wide shoulders and a broad back but is tall with long legs so it suits her perfectly she just looks gaunt and ill when she's thinner. I dont really believe in big bones as such but I think you can have heavier bones.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/07 at 6:00 am

I think "big boned" is appropriate to describe somebody who is barrel chested.  Somebody with a big chest cavity is gonna weigh more than average, no doubt about that.  I do not think that their bones themselves are "bigger" or "thicker". (I am not an anthropologist or anatomist but there you have it).

But 90 percent of the time the euphemism is simply a polite way to say somebody is getting chunky:

..."He's big boned"
..."She retains alot of water"
..."I got curves"

Written By: Tia on 03/02/07 at 6:29 am

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_news1064.article.jpg

i know, i posted it before but it merits a callback.

Written By: La Roche on 03/02/07 at 7:48 am

I think there is some truth to the "big boned" idea.  My son is 11 and almost as tall as me and his wrist is about 1 1/2" larger than mine in diameter.  Hubby's wrist is also larger than the "average male".

That's a good point. My wrist isn't far off as wide as my hand.. and I have big hands.. and obviously, being a wrist, it's not got anything covering it.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/02/07 at 8:20 am

Here are some ladies I have always fancied.

Melanie Lynskey
http://www.mrskin.com/data/star/00/22/15/biopic2_3890.jpg

Jennifer Connelly
http://malcontent.typepad.com/malcontent/images/connelly1_1.jpg

Lucille Ball
http://www.lookalike.com/lookalikes/images/lucille-ball.jpg

Gloria Estefan
http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Gloria-Estefan--C10045358.jpeg

Jayne Mansfield
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/220654~Jayne-Mansfield-Posters.jpg

Dustin Hoffman
http://www.maryellenmark.com/text/magazines/life/images/102K-104-010.JPEG

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/02/07 at 9:12 am

Queen Latifah should rule over all humanity with her awesomeness.

Written By: Marian on 03/02/07 at 11:14 am

I think I remember reading recently that Marilyn was about a size 10, which is a size 16 now.....Karen Carpenter was in a size 4 when she died, which is the equivalent to a girl's 10 or 12 (I think). 

There's also an overlap between kid/adult sizes.  We just went to buy underwear for the oldest today and found out that a boys XL is the same size as a Men's M (and about 1/2 the price).... :o  We bought some of each and I just checked them and they're the exact same size ::)

AFA dress size 2 being a 23" waist, well, it depends.  I wear a size 2-4 skirt and I have a larger waist than 23".  I think the average for a size 2 is 25" (mind you this is simply based on my experience, not a formal knowledge).  The 4T sizing is also questionable.  Granted, I've only had boys, but their sizes run even bigger and a 4T (besides having additional space for a diaper) is nowhere near a 23" waist.....that's more like a boys' size 8, which is about a girls' size 14.  My middle guy has a 22" waist and he wears a 10 slim (which is about the same waist as an 8, but he needs the length of a 10).

Actually i think it's the other way around.a size 16 then is a size 10 now.In the old days i would have worn between a size 5 and size 9,but now I'n between a 0 and 5)on top anyway).And i'm not ultra-thin--I kind of "roll' at the middle if I bend over.I'm also puzzled by the lack of size 30 and 32 bras nowadays.I used to have an easy time finding them,even in cheaper stores.maybe--just maybe--women are eating more trans-fat nad high -fructose corn syrup on average then they used to,but there are also more asians in california than there used to be.I'm quite large compared to many of them.i remember shopping at a frederick's of hollywood,and i was by far the largest woman in the store!

Written By: Marian on 03/02/07 at 11:16 am

I totally dismiss "Height-Weight" scales.  Almost every one of them is so horribly out of whack it is laughable.

To give an idea, I have found that my "Ideal Weight" is between 175-185 (I am around 20 lbs over that now).  But according to the Marine Corps, my maximum weight is 169.  However, since around 1992, they have allowed you to exceede that as long as your body fat is below 18% for males, and 26% for females.  And even at 210, I fall within around 15% body fat.

And remember, this is the Marine Corps.  When I think "Obese", I think of people who are more like 50%+ body fat.  Not (as it says in the commercial), somebody with "15-20 vanity pounds".  Or even 50-75 lbs excess weight.  I mean those that are close to (or over) half of their weight being obvious fat.  And most of us can tell the difference between somebody who is muscular, "big but fit", and "grossly fat".

I would never say anything.  Not even as a whisper to somebody I knew.  Remember, this is all purely "internal" with me.  And I would not behave or act or talk any differently to that person then I would with anybody else.

Oh, and I just looked at a few of your pictures.  And in all honestly, I would in no way ever consider you as being "fat".  Not even close.  Not even in the same neighborhood.

And not to sound "gross" (because I am close to double your age) or "sexist" (because I am a guy and you are not), but you actually fall within the range of what I personally consider to be an almost perfect weight for what attracts me.  You would have to be over double your current weight to have me start to consider you as "grossly overweight".

Does that give you a bit better idea what I mean when I use that term?
i believe in the marine Corps,you're expected not to eat junk food.i read this article about this guy in the marines,and his twin sister sent him candy in the mail,which he saved for later.well,his commanding officer discovered his hoard ,and made him eat it all at once,without water!

Written By: Mushroom on 03/02/07 at 11:30 am

i believe in the Marine Corps,you're expected not to eat junk food.i read this article about this guy in the marines,and his twin sister sent him candy in the mail,which he saved for later.well,his commanding officer discovered his hoard ,and made him eat it all at once,without water!

Oh, they have nothing against "Junk Food".  After all, every meal at the mess hall is served with cookies, cake, pie, ice cream, pudding, and the like.  And every barracks normally has 2 or 3 candy machines.

What they do expect of you though is to keep fit.  When I was in, I ate the equivelant of 4 full meals a day, plus snacks.  But I also ran an average of 20+ miles a week, and was very active.  Early in my career, it was all I could do to keep weight on me, because I would burn it off faster then I could take it in.

Now as for the candy, he probably had it in his barracks.  Most barracks have a rule against "storing food", because of the vermin it can attract (mice, roaches, ants, etc).  So there is nothing wrong with having a candy bar, but don't store it in your locker.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/07 at 12:01 pm

When I first moved in with Carlos, I gained 20 lbs in a very short period of time. It was the heaviest I had ever been in life. I always said that I wanted to lose those 20 lbs and I would be at my ideal weight for my height. I recently did shed those 20 lbs (I really don't know how-I guess because I stopped eating lunch-and I do eat a lot of junk), and now I am starting to wonder if I am too thin.  :-\\  I guess it has to do with how I preceive myself. It also helps that I have someone telling me that I beautiful almost everyday-even when I was at my heaviest.

Cat

Written By: Tam on 03/02/07 at 1:18 pm

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/25/185630/Pictures/100_0028.JPG

So many different view points! I love it!
This is my sister and I, and what also spurred me to ask the question.
We have the same mother and father but my sister got the wide rib cage.
She weighs probably about 170 and I weight 130. We are both completely happy with our weights and don't plan on dieting or changing our eating patterns. My rib cage is a 36 while her's is a 42. At one time, when she was doing things that weren't necessarily good for her health, she was down to 120 lbs. She looked sickly. You could count each of her ribs and would have sworn a strong wind would send her toppling over.
She doesn't call herself "big boned", instead she calls herself "Happy"

I agree with different body types, different length bones, board shoulders, wide rib cage etc etc.
I don't view people though by what their outside shell looks like and I could never judge or have no respect for someone just because of their appearance. If I did, I probably wouldn't be married to my husband right now - because when I met him he was a "Big Boy". (That's what he calls himself)
Hubby though does believe in the big boned theory - but if you look at him he isn't at all. He stands 6'4 and weighs 240! His BMI is so insane! His muscle outweighs anything else on his body, and yet he never makes weight so they always have to tape him. (Army Standards)

I think voluptuous women are the most beautiful women in the world!

Written By: Marian on 03/02/07 at 1:57 pm

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/25/185630/Pictures/100_0028.JPG

So many different view points! I love it!
This is my sister and I, and what also spurred me to ask the question.
We have the same mother and father but my sister got the wide rib cage.
She weighs probably about 170 and I weight 130. We are both completely happy with our weights and don't plan on dieting or changing our eating patterns. My rib cage is a 36 while her's is a 42. At one time, when she was doing things that weren't necessarily good for her health, she was down to 120 lbs. She looked sickly. You could count each of her ribs and would have sworn a strong wind would send her toppling over.
She doesn't call herself "big boned", instead she calls herself "Happy"

I agree with different body types, different length bones, board shoulders, wide rib cage etc etc.
I don't view people though by what their outside shell looks like and I could never judge or have no respect for someone just because of their appearance. If I did, I probably wouldn't be married to my husband right now - because when I met him he was a "Big Boy". (That's what he calls himself)
Hubby though does believe in the big boned theory - but if you look at him he isn't at all. He stands 6'4 and weighs 240! His BMI is so insane! His muscle outweighs anything else on his body, and yet he never makes weight so they always have to tape him. (Army Standards)

I think voluptuous women are the most beautiful women in the world!
You look kind of pear shaped like me.my rib cage is about 25 or 26,and around the bustline i'm about 30-32.I have wide thighs.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/02/07 at 2:23 pm

Queen Latifah should rule over all humanity with her awesomeness.

She is my personal hero.

I hate that we're paying so much attention to weight.  Erin, Beth, Jess, Tam, Mama K, Gis, Carol, you guys are GORGEOUS!  I love love love that the world makes us all different.  If we were all the same, what fun would that be?  From now on, I think we should all focus on what's great about ourselves instead of the things we aren't happy with.  It makes for a much longer and better list...

And as far as anyone who would judge a person for being overweight: F*@% 'em.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/02/07 at 9:41 pm

She is my personal hero.

I hate that we're paying so much attention to weight.  Erin, Beth, Jess, Tam, Mama K, Gis, Carol, you guys are GORGEOUS!  I love love love that the world makes us all different.  If we were all the same, what fun would that be?  From now on, I think we should all focus on what's great about ourselves instead of the things we aren't happy with.  It makes for a much longer and better list...

I freakin' heart you, Ash! :-*

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/07 at 9:42 pm

I hate that we're paying so much attention to weight.  Erin, Beth, Jess, Tam, Mama K, Gis, Carol, you guys are GORGEOUS! 

Thank you.  :) 

And I agree.  I get down on myself, especially because of my weight because I'd rather I do it than someone else.  Sh*tty thinking, but it's the way it is for me.

Written By: Tam on 03/02/07 at 10:13 pm

She is my personal hero.

Thanks so much Girl!
Myself, I am completely content with what I look like and I could care less if anyone thought I was overweight.
Like Cat, my husband says I am beautiful all the time - takes getting used to for sure, but it eventually sinks in that he is the one that matters! ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/02/07 at 10:20 pm

^ Your husband is wise.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/07 at 10:23 pm

Myself, I am completely content with what I look like and I could care less if anyone thought I was overweight.

I wish I thought this way.

Written By: Jessica on 03/02/07 at 10:28 pm

She is my personal hero.

I frickin' adore you. :-*

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/02/07 at 10:31 pm

we should start a club, girls!! ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/07 at 10:36 pm

you have to be the most wonderful person i have ever met, mushroom. we're all so truly and deeply honored to know you. maybe someday, with great focus and diligence and devoted spiritual and self-improvement work, we can all become one-tenth the vision of perfection into which you've managed to sculpt yourself.

First Electrophile and now you!  He doesn't call them big fat pigs, he just thinks of them as big fat pigs!  When I see an obese person loading up his shopping cart with donuts and beer, I think, "Maybe that's not such a good idea."  Then I remember the time that my health nut friend dropped behind me in the check out line, gave my order the once over and scoffed, "Don't you know about the toxins in peanut butter?"  I said, "Robert, attempt to be cool, mmmkay?"  Then another time, my sister made scornful remarks about the fat mom and fat kids she saw in the grocery store, and how the broad was buying lard and sugar and a few chocolate bars for each brat, and I thought my sister--like my friend Robert--was being obnoxious.  Thus I made it my business to make it none of my damn business what anybody else buys at the supermarket or orders at the lunch counter.  Judge not lest thee be judged.  Still, I can't help noticing, so I notice and move right along.  

I mean, If I had a different metabolism and ate the amount of fattening crap I currently consume, I'd be obese!

Thus, "big fat pigs" is a term I reserve exclusively for law enforcement officers!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_porc.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_porc.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/07 at 10:52 pm

Oh, they have nothing against "Junk Food".  After all, every meal at the mess hall is served with cookies, cake, pie, ice cream, pudding, and the like.  And every barracks normally has 2 or 3 candy machines.

What they do expect of you though is to keep fit.  When I was in, I ate the equivelant of 4 full meals a day, plus snacks.  But I also ran an average of 20+ miles a week, and was very active.  Early in my career, it was all I could do to keep weight on me, because I would burn it off faster then I could take it in.

Now as for the candy, he probably had it in his barracks.  Most barracks have a rule against "storing food", because of the vermin it can attract (mice, roaches, ants, etc).  So there is nothing wrong with having a candy bar, but don't store it in your locker.

Now that jars my cinematic memory--I have no choice but to post the whole thing, so here goes:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Holy Jesus! What is that? What the **** is that? WHAT IS THAT, PRIVATE PYLE?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, a jelly doughnut, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: A jelly doughnut?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How did it get here?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, I took it from the mess hall, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Is chow allowed in the barracks, Private Pyle?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Are you allowed to eat jelly doughnuts, Private Pyle?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: And why not, Private Pyle?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, because I'm too heavy, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Because you are a disgusting fat body, Private Pyle!
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Then why did you try to sneak a jelly doughnut in your foot locker, Private Pyle?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, because I was hungry, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Because you were hungry...

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Pyle has dishonored himself and dishonored his platoon. I have tried to help him. But I have failed. I have failed because YOU have not helped me. YOU people, have not given Private Pyle the proper motivation! So, from now on, whenever Private Pyle ****s up, I will not punish him! I will punish all of YOU! And the way I see it ladies, you owe me for ONE JELLY DOUGHNUT! NOW, GET DOWN ON YOUR FACES!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Open your mouth!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: They're payin' for it; YOU eat it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76uar6ktzYs

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/07 at 11:05 pm

You completely missed what Mike was saying.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/07 at 11:11 pm

we should start a club, girls!! ;)

Sounds like fun!  I wonder what we'd call it, though......

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/02/07 at 11:17 pm

Sounds like fun!  I wonder what we'd call it, though......

The Sisterhood of the Ashkicksass.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/07 at 11:18 pm

I'm sure Ash would love that.  :D

Written By: Gis on 03/03/07 at 6:50 am

She is my personal hero.

:-*

Written By: Tia on 03/03/07 at 6:58 am

max HAS to know i was being sarcastic, right? i mean, i definitely wasn't being subtle... ;D

Written By: Gis on 03/03/07 at 6:59 am

max HAS to know i was being sarcastic, right? i mean, i definitely wasn't being subtle... ;D
You, sarcastic? never!

Written By: Tia on 03/03/07 at 7:00 am

and actually, some law enforcement officers are cool as hell. if it weren't for them, where'd i get all my drugs?

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/07 at 7:51 am

Thanks so much Girl!
Like Cat, my husband says I am beautiful all the time - takes getting used to for sure, but it eventually sinks in that he is the one that matters! ;)

Your sister is good lookin'. I can't say you are cus your husband is way bigger than me and has a gun.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/07 at 7:53 am

and actually, some law enforcement officers are cool as hell. if it weren't for them, where'd i get all my drugs?

Clinton.

Written By: Tia on 03/03/07 at 7:55 am

Clinton.
naw, he's where i get my hos.

everybody was so transfixed with how much i look like britney spears in that sam smith interview clip, they missed how he was totally talking about drug running in arkansas when clinton was governor.

Written By: La Roche on 03/03/07 at 7:58 am

naw, he's where i get my hos.

everybody was so transfixed with how much i look like britney spears in that sam smith interview clip, they missed how he was totally talking about drug running in arkansas when clinton was governor.

My respect for Sam Smith is about l--l big. But then again, I doubt he's gonna come hang out with me either.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/03/07 at 9:17 am

She is my personal hero.

So are you, Sweetie!! :)

Written By: Tam on 03/03/07 at 10:35 am

Your sister is good lookin'. I can't say you are cus your husband is way bigger than me and has a gun.  ;D

You are sooooo...... Meh! There are no words to describe you! ;D

And I believe I agree with you about my sis. She is one fine woman for sure!

btw... karma+1 8)

Written By: Mushroom on 03/03/07 at 11:16 am

What was I saying?

Sorry, I sometimes suffer from CRS Syndrome.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/03/07 at 11:56 am

What was I saying?

Sorry, I sometimes suffer from CRS Syndrome.

I wasn't even talking to you.

Written By: Tia on 03/03/07 at 1:40 pm

I wasn't even talking to you.
dag.

Written By: Marian on 03/03/07 at 1:41 pm

Clinton.
I thought he was allergic to everything. ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/03/07 at 4:17 pm

dag.

I didn't mean to sound harsh, it's just that the "Mike" I was referring to was you.  Is Mushroom's name Mike?

Written By: Tia on 03/03/07 at 5:49 pm

I didn't mean to sound harsh, it's just that the "Mike" I was referring to was you.  Is Mushroom's name Mike?
some days it feels like every single male human on the planet is named mike.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/03/07 at 5:50 pm

Jason's middle name is Mike.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/03/07 at 10:43 pm

I was thinking more on the lines of....Voluptuous Vixens ;)

Written By: Derek on 03/04/07 at 9:32 pm

I also weigh 210, but I'm also 6 inches taller than you.  At 6'7" 210, I need to go to big and tall for suits.  It is annoying.  Not only am I freakishly tall, but I'm barely over 200 pounds.  I reached 6'7" in 1993.  I was 15 at the time.  I weighed 185 at the time, and was rake thin.  I slowly gained weight.  I reached 200 pounds in 2001, aged 23.  Looks like I'll be gaining 10 pounds every 5 years.  I stay in good shape so I can't picture myself being overweight.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/05/07 at 11:57 am

+1 Ash :)

AFA "judging" people who are overweight, I really don't care what a person looks like, it's how they act.  I have to admit, though, I get really annoyed with people who are always on the "I'm so fat" kick.....especially when they're saying it with a donut in one hand and a milkshake in the other (and yes, I have had someone do that).  It also annoys me when people get on my case when I am having a bad day and complaining about how I look and go on and on about "how skinny" I am.  I'm not overly skinny or heavy, but there are days when I feel "fat" and I should be allowed to say so.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/05/07 at 9:32 pm

Yes, my name is Mike as well.

Written By: karen on 03/06/07 at 3:30 am

Yes, my name is Mike as well.

Oh no they're taking over the world!!

Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned asking a doctor or someone who would know.  I've asked someone at work who does research into improving bone density in people.  When she gets back to me I'll post the info here

Check for new replies or respond here...