inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WHAT THE HELL!!! GENESIS IS NOT COMING TO DALLAS, TEXAS!!!

Written By: raddog on 03/11/07 at 7:23 pm

I tried to look everywhere at Genesis-music.com for more North American dates. The southern states are not scheduled for this Genesis Reunion tour. I wish that the band would come to Dallas. This is B.S.!!!  >:(

Subject: Re: WHAT THE HELL!!! GENESIS IS NOT COMING TO DALLAS, TEXAS!!!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/11/07 at 11:08 pm

No dates down under yet.

I'm guessing if they do come down here, it'll be in November or December.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/15/07 at 11:11 pm

Is Peter Gabriel with the group again?

Written By: whistledog on 03/15/07 at 11:14 pm

Is Phil Collins with the group again?

Yes

Is Peter Gabriel with the group again?

No

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/07 at 1:36 am

Some people say that Peter Gabriel was holding Genesis back.  Some people say that Genesis sucked without him. 
It didn't really say much for Gabriel when Genesis scored their first US Top 40 hit on the first album after his departure

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/07 at 2:23 am

Genesis was a prog rock band with Gabriel at the helm.  Their albums were experimental and frankly, sh!tty.  Collins gave them a more commercial sound without sacrificing talent.  Hence why they were so successful once Gabriel left.  And he didn't too shabby as a solo artist, so it's not like without them he was nothing.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/16/07 at 2:30 am

Their albums were experimental and frankly, sh!tty.

I disagree. They may not have been commercially successful at the time, but songs like "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" have held up very well.

I also don't think Collins can take credit for a "more commercial sound" as he was a member before anyway. I think the entire remainder of the group chose the newer direction, although they had been heading toward that in the latter part of the Gabriel days anyway.

Back on topic, I gotta agree with Call Me Crazy that it'd be an awesome show if Gabriel and Collins both were involved. I don't see that happening, though.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/07 at 2:34 am

I disagree. They may not have been commercially successful at the time, but songs like "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" have held up very well.

I also don't think Collins can take credit for a "more commercial sound" as he was a member before anyway. I think the entire remainder of the group chose the newer direction, although they had been heading toward that in the latter part of the Gabriel days anyway.

Back on topic, I gotta agree with Call Me Crazy that it'd be an awesome show if Gabriel and Collins both were involved. I don't see that happening, though.

I am aware that he was a member of the band while Gabriel was in it.  He was the drummer.  However you can't deny that when Collins became the lead singer and the focal point of the band, the music became more commercially successful.  Die-hard Genesis fans will know the stuff they did with Gabriel, but the more casual listeners will be more familiar with what Collins did because the music became more palatable for EVERYONE, not just the die-hards.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/16/07 at 6:11 am

I have a feeling if Gabriel had stayed with them and they went pop with him on lead vocals, they wouldn't have been as successful. Although they probably would've seen some hits, sure.

The reason they caught on with Collins was because he did ballads and love songs (before he was famous for them in his solo career). In fact, their first Top Forty hit was "Follow You Follow Me". Of course, I think Phil's solo career probably helped the band become even more recongnizable and successful (his solo songs were basically just a poppified, less "band" version of Genesis' 1981+ matetial anyway).

Written By: philbo on 03/16/07 at 6:41 am

Is it just me that thought that the problem isn't that Genesis aren't playing in Texas, but that most Texans take Genesis way too literally?

Hell, if you told most Texans that Genesis was coming to Texas (with or without Gabriel), they'd probably think it was time to start building an ark :p

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/07 at 1:45 pm

Of course, I think Phil's solo career probably helped the band become even more recongnizable and successful (his solo songs were basically just a poppified, less "band" version of Genesis' 1981+ matetial anyway).

This is true yes.  When Phil took over, they went from Progressive Rock to Soft Rock, and slowly but surely, they went from Top 40, to Top 20, into the Top 10 and all the way to #1 by 1986.  By June of 1986, Phil's "No Jacket Required" album had sold 5 Million copies, definately helping the "Invisible Touch" album to become the mega hit that it became

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/07 at 3:49 pm

Some people say that Peter Gabriel was holding Genesis back.  Some people say that Genesis sucked without him. 
It didn't really say much for Gabriel when Genesis scored their first US Top 40 hit on the first album after his departure

It says a lot for Peter Gabriel!  "Games Without Frontiers" versus "That's All."  Come on!
::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/07 at 4:16 pm

It says a lot for Peter Gabriel!  "Games Without Frontiers" versus "That's All."  Come on!
::)

That's All is an amazing song. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/07 at 4:52 pm

That's All is an amazing song. 

A lot of Phil Collins/Phil Collins' Genesis songs are beautifully crafted.  I'd never tell you Collins is anything but first rate....his stuff just annoys me!  Collins was a session drummer for many Brian Eno recordings, so that gives him a lifetime pass!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...