inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010 and beyond

Written By: Pete Seaton on 03/12/07 at 8:59 pm

what does anyone here think music will be like into the next decade

your opinions wanted here also

http://z9.invisionfree.com/Poptastic

Subject: Re: 2010 and beyond

Written By: whistledog on 03/12/07 at 9:15 pm

Well, if it's anything like the music of today, hopefully I will be dead so I won't have to listen to it :D

Written By: Haynsoul on 03/12/07 at 11:03 pm

I doubt all the glam crap will continue into the next decade. Emo might die out in the early part of the 2010's. Maybe more retro 90's sounds will start to appear in songs.

Written By: Tia on 03/12/07 at 11:11 pm

Well, if it's anything like the music of today, hopefully I will be dead so I won't have to listen to it :D
hopefully i'll be alive so i can continue to listen to the kickass jams of 1968.

Written By: tv on 03/12/07 at 11:43 pm

I have though about this paticular topic and I think "metal" or something like "Heavy metal" will rule the next decade to backlash the glam rap of this decade. As for urban music I don;t know about it what it will be in the 2010's.

I think glam rap will die out in the second half of 2009.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/13/07 at 5:10 am

I have though about this paticular topic and I think "metal" or something like "Heavy metal" will rule the next decade to backlash the glam rap of this decade. As for urban music I don;t know about it what it will be in the 2010's.

I think glam rap will die out in the second half of 2009.

I agree. While I kinda have my doubts as to whether we'll ever see these huge cultural shifts (i.e. The Beatles, MTV, grunge) as frequently as we used to, I do think there'll definitely be a '00s backlash in the '10s. Primarily against things like reality TV, glam rap, obsession with cellphone/Ipod-type technology and Emo.

But yeah, the 2010s will no doubt be different - how much, it's hard to say, but I'm sure they will be, even if it's only by ridding itself of '00slike culture, instead of really being new and original. To me the '90s and '00s are about relative to the '60s and '70s in terms of differences (the latter decades are advanced with some new stuff and different attitudes, but it's kinda the same pop culture template overall), so I can't imagine there'd be a third neo-'90s decade.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/13/07 at 2:16 pm

I agree. While I kinda have my doubts as to whether we'll ever see these huge cultural shifts (i.e. The Beatles, MTV, grunge) as frequently as we used to, I do think there'll definitely be a '00s backlash in the '10s. Primarily against things like reality TV, glam rap, obsession with cellphone/Ipod-type technology and Emo.

But yeah, the 2010s will no doubt be different - how much, it's hard to say, but I'm sure they will be, even if it's only by ridding itself of '00slike culture, instead of really being new and original. To me the '90s and '00s are about relative to the '60s and '70s in terms of differences (the latter decades are advanced with some new stuff and different attitudes, but it's kinda the same pop culture template overall), so I can't imagine there'd be a third neo-'90s decade.

I totally agree. The 2010s will probably be quite different than the '00s, even though I don't think the change will be quite as drastic as some we've seen in the past, like you said.

The popularity of glam rap will continue to decline, and it'll probably be totally gone in 3 or 4 years. Also I agree with tv, there will most likely be a resurgence of heavier rock in the '10s, especially since 'alternative' rock has been in the mainstream for almost 2 decades now.

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/07 at 7:32 pm

But is 2010 more like 1997 or 1917? :D

Written By: Dusteater on 03/13/07 at 10:43 pm

I bet it will be the same as today.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/14/07 at 5:24 am

I totally agree. The 2010s will probably be quite different than the '00s, even though I don't think the change will be quite as drastic as some we've seen in the past, like you said.

The popularity of glam rap will continue to decline, and it'll probably be totally gone in 3 or 4 years. Also I agree with tv, there will most likely be a resurgence of heavier rock in the '10s, especially since 'alternative' rock has been in the mainstream for almost 2 decades now.

Yeah, having witnessed enough of this decade by now, I'd say most of the world's future changes will be slower in general. While in one respect, it makes the present kinda boring than in the pre-2001 years, I also think there's some comfort, because elements of the past will seem more recent, as if it never really left in a way. Back To The Future aside, I'd bet my life that 1955 was alot older in 1985 than 1985 will end up being in 2015.

Unless we colonize the moon or start getting jetpacks, how much further can technology really go? Hell, you can put your entire music collection in your back pocket, take pictures and go online with your cellphone, it's like how much more advanced do you want it? ;D Because of this, 2010s culture will probably backlash the current wave of tech obsession and be more whatever/laid-back, like the '90s were in respose to the more excessive early-mid '80s.

The irony is, I'm sure people have said this in pretty much any time period whenever things are new. For instance, I once saw this documentary about the inventions of the early Twentieth Century. It went into detail about how the older/more traditional people still rode horse and buggies, used oil lamps instead of electricity and didn't want to even ride in an automobile. So I'm sure from the perspective of anyone who remembered pre-1895, 1920 must've seemed like a beyond sci-fi world that could advance no more, lol.

Written By: tv on 03/15/07 at 11:49 am

I bet it will be the same as today.
No, no 2 decades are the exact same.

Written By: Haynsoul on 03/15/07 at 12:07 pm

Of course it won't be the same. People who was born around 90's music won't have the exact same tastes as someone born in the 80's. Once they start working in the music industry they'll start creating different sounds and trends.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/15/07 at 11:56 pm

Yeah, having witnessed enough of this decade by now, I'd say most of the world's future changes will be slower in general. While in one respect, it makes the present kinda boring than in the pre-2001 years, I also think there's some comfort, because elements of the past will seem more recent, as if it never really left in a way. Back To The Future aside, I'd bet my life that 1955 was alot older in 1985 than 1985 will end up being in 2015.

Unless we colonize the moon or start getting jetpacks, how much further can technology really go? Hell, you can put your entire music collection in your back pocket, take pictures and go online with your cellphone, it's like how much more advanced do you want it? ;D Because of this, 2010s culture will probably backlash the current wave of tech obsession and be more whatever/laid-back, like the '90s were in respose to the more excessive early-mid '80s.

The irony is, I'm sure people have said this in pretty much any time period whenever things are new. For instance, I once saw this documentary about the inventions of the early Twentieth Century. It went into detail about how the older/more traditional people still rode horse and buggies, used oil lamps instead of electricity and didn't want to even ride in an automobile. So I'm sure from the perspective of anyone who remembered pre-1895, 1920 must've seemed like a beyond sci-fi world that could advance no more, lol.

That makes sense. I'm sure that those born in the 1880's or before were probably quite shocked at how far things had advanced by the 1920's, and some of them probably thought that things could never get more advanced than that. I'm sure that things will be more advanced by the end of the next decade, but IMO the real 2015 will be nothing  like the 2015 of Back to the Future

Check for new replies or respond here...