inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Friend and Co-worker...

Written By: Davester on 03/13/07 at 10:41 am

I was shocked to learn last night that the man I had read about in the paper being in custody for the murder of his wife, last Sunday, was none onther than a friend and co-worker from the sugar refinery.  We talked politics all the time in the break room at work.  People would approach us, listen for a minute, then, "Ah phooey..!" and walk off...

I had traded shifts with someone for one rotation (10 days) about a month ago, and found myself working with him in an area known as bulk pack.  He was quieter than usual and seemed distant and restless, always leaving the area to make calls on his cell phone.  A mutual friend had asked me if Matt had told me what was bothering him.  I said, "He didn't say, and I didn't ask...",  but the word on the street was trouble with his marriage.  My first thought was, maybe, infidelity in the marriage.  I thought no more about it...

Still in a state of shock.  Bummed out, really.  It's just so damned tragic...

Sunday shooting may have been planned

"Lead me from death to life,
    from falsehood to truth,
  Lead me from despair to hope,
    from fear to trust.
  Lead me from hate to love,
    from war to peace,
  Let peace fill our beings,
    our world and our universe..."

Subject: Re: A Friend and Co-worker...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/13/07 at 10:45 am

Wow, Davester.  I guess we never really know people...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/13/07 at 10:56 am

I am suprised and shocked to here this too.

Written By: Davester on 03/13/07 at 11:04 am

Wow, Davester.  I guess we never really know people...

Seriously, that was a common sentiment around the plant, last night...

We knew him as just a regular guy.  Cliché, I know...  I mean, you never know what simmers just beneath the surface...

Here was a man, a seemingly rational man, an intelligent, amicable and hard working man in our midst who was on the brink...

I'll ponder this for a long time to come...

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/13/07 at 11:48 am

Yeah, you never know what people are capable of.....

Sorry to hear this Davester....

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 03/17/07 at 10:27 am

It must have been a huge shock to hear about it Dav.

I know how stunned I was when a co worker I use to have lunch with most days was arrested 18 months ago after kidnapping a 14 yr old boy and holding him prisoner for several weeks (badly abusing and torturing him).

To think that a person in your circle of friends could sit eating with you and yet in their mind in the background - they are not remotely the same person.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/18/07 at 12:31 am

Wow, that's gotta be rough.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/18/07 at 1:23 am

I was shocked to learn last night that the man I had read about in the paper being in custody for the murder of his wife, last Sunday, was none onther than a friend and co-worker from the sugar refinery.  We talked politics all the time in the break room at work.  People would approach us, listen for a minute, then, "Ah phooey..!" and walk off...

I had traded shifts with someone for one rotation (10 days) about a month ago, and found myself working with him in an area known as bulk pack.  He was quieter than usual and seemed distant and restless, always leaving the area to make calls on his cell phone.  A mutual friend had asked me if Matt had told me what was bothering him.  I said, "He didn't say, and I didn't ask...",  but the word on the street was trouble with his marriage.  My first thought was, maybe, infidelity in the marriage.  I thought no more about it...

Still in a state of shock.  Bummed out, really.  It's just so damned tragic...

Sunday shooting may have been planned

"Lead me from death to life,
     from falsehood to truth,
   Lead me from despair to hope,
     from fear to trust.
   Lead me from hate to love,
     from war to peace,
   Let peace fill our beings,
     our world and our universe..."
I was saddened by this news of the husband shooting his wife in the church parking lot as she was going to church and now I'm sad for you Davester, since you were working with this dude and had a connection and must be stunned by this.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/18/07 at 7:01 am

Let's be grateful that he did not "go postal" in the workplace.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/18/07 at 7:10 am

HOLY COW, Davester.  I just read the article.

Did you know that this guy was a "bad seed" with a manslaughter conviction and a weapons conviction?  I'm surprised that your company (a fairly large corporation) would hire a guy who has been convicted of two substantial felonies.  My company will hire a felon depending upon the offense, but a double-hitter no way.  Especially manslaughter and DEFINITELY not with a weapons offense AFTER the manslaughter charge.

Article says he was a "frequent flier" for domestic disturbance calls too.

It is sad that his wife experienced his cr@p for so long.  :(  Hopefully the justice system will do with this Chuck what they shoulda done back in '87.  >:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/18/07 at 11:57 am

:o

Written By: Davester on 03/18/07 at 12:39 pm

HOLY COW, Davester.  I just read the article.

Did you know that this guy was a "bad seed" with a manslaughter conviction and a weapons conviction?  I'm surprised that your company (a fairly large corporation) would hire a guy who has been convicted of two substantial felonies.  My company will hire a felon depending upon the offense, but a double-hitter no way.  Especially manslaughter and DEFINITELY not with a weapons offense AFTER the manslaughter charge.

Article says he was a "frequent flier" for domestic disturbance calls too.

It is sad that his wife experienced his cr@p for so long.   :(  Hopefully the justice system will do with this Chuck what they shoulda done back in '87.  >:(

I didn't know much about him other than what he had told me at work. He had a close circle of friends and I was out of the loop as well as being on another shift.  After he was hired at C&H he was moved, briefly, to my shift so I could train him on some packaging machinery.  I remember being pleased with him for he picked it up pretty fast and had a good work ethic.  I told the superviser so... 

But manslaughter and weapons convictions..?  Had no idea until I read about it in the paper.  Could'a knocked me over with a feather.  Matt just seemed like a guy with all his sh*t in one sock...   

Early forties, originally from Richmond, married to high school sweetheart, no kids, lived a few blocks from me in American Canyon (I've since moved...) in a really nice house.  I always took him to be much younger than he was...

Nearly a week after, I'm hearing from some mutual friends that he'd been talking about this for some time, now.  "It's time.  I'm gonna do her.." "take care of business..." and similar comments.  Seems to be over money, the divorce settlement, more specifically.  Those same people speak of him saying things like "she's destroying me", "taking away my manhood" &etc...

This incident is causing the authorities to review the restraining order - sposal abuse/stalking procedures...

Edited to add:  

Oh, and how he passed the pre-employment screening and was hired I haven't the foggiest...especially since C&H is a federal contractor...

Check for new replies or respond here...