inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: when will Myspace die?

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/20/07 at 12:19 pm

I'm not trying to start an argument, but when do you think Myspace will finally bite the dust?

Subject: Re: when will Myspace die?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/20/07 at 12:25 pm

I don't think it'll really ever die, even though it'll lose its novelty status eventually (in fact, this has probably started happening already, since it's already kinda an "established" thing most people know about). When people look back on it, it will be a hot 2005/'06 trend, no doubt.

Maybe it'll get some really bad press if, say someone gets killed by someone they met on there (sad, but not entirely impossible, of course) and that'll reduce its popularity a bit. However, the criticisms it gets is really no different that what the Internet itself, especially chatrooms and Email, got in the late '90s (i.e. a haven for weirdos and sickos). MySpace is just a sublet of the Internet itself, so I think it'll be the same story.

But I think by 2008 or '09 definitely, there won't be as many people talking about it anymore, or less people will make profiles, etc. Perhaps even later this year this will start.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/20/07 at 12:26 pm

Not for awhile.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/20/07 at 12:29 pm

It won't "die" any time soon, maybe someday some other website might end up taking over for it, but who knows.  :-\\

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/20/07 at 1:39 pm

I don't think it'll really ever die, even though it'll lose its novelty status eventually (in fact, this has probably started happening already, since it's already kinda an "established" thing most people know about). When people look back on it, it will be a hot 2005/'06 trend, no doubt.

Maybe it'll get some really bad press if, say someone gets killed by someone they met on there (sad, but not entirely impossible, of course) and that'll reduce its popularity a bit. However, the criticisms it gets is really no different that what the Internet itself, especially chatrooms and Email, got in the late '90s (i.e. a haven for weirdos and sickos). MySpace is just a sublet of the Internet itself, so I think it'll be the same story.

But I think by 2008 or '09 definitely, there won't be as many people talking about it anymore, or less people will make profiles, etc. Perhaps even later this year this will start.

That's what I was thinking. I don't think Myspace will ever really "die", it's popularity will die down, and it'll basically be like chat rooms or e-mail are now, something thats not a considered a fad anymore, and gets used everyday.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/20/07 at 3:58 pm

I can honestly say that I've never visited that site and don't have any desire to...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/20/07 at 6:51 pm

When we run out of self-involved 14 year old girls!
:D

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/07 at 7:06 pm

I don't think MySpace will ever die.  Thanks to Carson Daly, MySpace memberships have increased majorly

Written By: Southern Image on 03/22/07 at 9:37 am

Myspace won't die and it created copycat sites such as Facebook, Tagged, and Bebo. I'm sure there are more out there like those as well.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/22/07 at 4:59 pm

When people decide they no longer want to use it, or the owners decide to close it. It ain't gonna die just because you don't like it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/23/07 at 10:53 pm

I agree with both of the the last two statements.

Written By: tv on 03/24/07 at 1:07 am

I don;t care about My Space other than "The Face Game" where they show you 2 girls faces and you pick which face you like better. But on a more serious note why is MySpace so hot right now i mean can't you do the same thing on like your Hotmail.com account that you can do on MySpace in terms of connecting with your friends and all that? I notice now one of the DJ's(Funkmaster Flex) who works at the Hip-Hop/R&B station Hot 97 in New York City says you can e-mail him on "MySpace" so I suppose MySpace could be good to e-mail a Radio DJ or something like that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/07 at 1:18 am

MySpace is so, like, 13 minutes ago...  :P

Written By: Brian06 on 03/24/07 at 1:22 am

I don't really see the problem with it, I mean I've got a page, it's kinda cool just too keep up a personal page for yourself that you can edit and stuff and maybe look up some old friends on there (which is really cool, I've been able to look up some kids I haven't seen in 10 years thanks to myspace). I know some people are too into it, but generally I think myspace is nice.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/25/07 at 4:57 pm

I predict people you know the old-fashioned way will be called "flesh friends," as opposed to "cyber friends"!
:-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 4:59 pm

I predict people you know the old-fashioned way will be called "flesh friends," as opposed to "cyber friends"!
:-\\

There's nothing wrong with having online friends as well as friends you see every day or talk to every day in real life.  I've made some very close and special friends through this website.

Written By: whistledog on 10/12/09 at 8:05 pm

I think MySpace is already dead.  Most of the people I know that went there don't anymore.

Remember the Fake Tom's? :D

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3285/myspacetom.png

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/12/09 at 8:58 pm

I would rather Facebook but, im not afn of twitter.... Go figure.
As for myspace, I ended my acct quite some time ago.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/12/09 at 9:50 pm

I am a Twiiter myself, now.

Written By: Rhodes on 10/17/09 at 1:29 am

Indeed. Need I point out that incident with the 13 year old girl that ended up committing suicide after getting screwed over by a neighbor via myspace? i'm amazed they didn't take more sh*t from the government for that. If someone was murdered in a similar situation it would make little difference. Its happened already with facebook with a few guys killing their wifes (one of which was for listing their status as 'single' - which I found ironic considering I met a woman who pulled that not too long ago, go figure eh...nice to see that a 37 year old woman is less mature than me eh)  and it didn't hurt facebook much.

really I can't see it dying out completely. its part of the whole technological age we're in now

Written By: joeman on 10/17/09 at 12:36 pm

I really really hated Myspace from the beginning.  When it first got popular around 2004, everybody who had it told me to go get because "everyone has it."  Eventually, I had it but deleted my account a few weeks later.  I dunno, it seems there a lot of people with times on their hands, and a lot of angsty teenagers that I didn't want to associate with.  What pissed me off more was when FOX bought Myspace, and then you heard Myspace in every other movie with message saying it is cool to have one  >:(.

I am happily on Facebook though, as I think it is a more useful version of myspace.  I haven't tweet yet, but I should try it out.

Written By: 90steen on 10/21/09 at 9:58 pm

It's starting to die now, I think. But really, we're waving bye-bye to a lot of this decade's stuff. Most people haven't noticed yet because it was so bad they didn't care to pay attention. But things are definitely changing.

Written By: Marian on 10/23/09 at 8:43 pm

Indeed. Need I point out that incident with the 13 year old girl that ended up committing suicide after getting screwed over by a neighbor via myspace? i'm amazed they didn't take more sh*t from the government for that. If someone was murdered in a similar situation it would make little difference. Its happened already with facebook with a few guys killing their wifes (one of which was for listing their status as 'single' - which I found ironic considering I met a woman who pulled that not too long ago, go figure eh...nice to see that a 37 year old woman is less mature than me eh)  and it didn't hurt facebook much.

really I can't see it dying out completely. its part of the whole technological age we're in now
What is not often pointed out is the 13 year old who later killed herself was the one who called her friend an "ugly lesbian".I'm in no way advocating being offended at the perception of being gay,but the male equivalent would becalling a guy a fag with a 2 inch dick.that would generally be considered fighting words.also the woman's employee was the one who created the fake profile.In most of what i read about the case ,the weight of the woman who se computer was being used is often mentioned.i think it's ironoc the mother of the girl who killed herself is encouraging the same thing the other woman(but actually the employee) is being accused of.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/24/09 at 8:14 pm

Myspace is for all intents and purposes dead, it seems like a graveyard these days honestly. I think people got sick of all the errors and slowness of Myspace and moved on to more streamlined social networking services like Facebook and Twitter.

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/09 at 4:13 pm

MySpace is now primarily used for promoting music.  Alot of the artists I follow on Facebook always post updates and links to their MySpace pages.

Written By: fireflies on 10/26/09 at 11:33 am

facebook surpassed it sometime in 2008. myspace's peak was definitely the years 2006 and 2007. actually seems like a long time ago now.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/26/09 at 11:45 am

I got bored with myspace in about a year.  As for it dying, not until every person in America feels they don't need a ego building score card. (the friend count)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/27/09 at 10:47 pm

Myspace.

That was that site that was like, the Geocities of Web 2.0, right?

Written By: STUCKONYOU on 10/28/09 at 12:04 pm

Never. Social sites are the future. Its just going to keep getting more and more popular (maybe no myspace but others).

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/09 at 4:25 pm

What I don't (and never did) like about MySpace (and no offense to anyone here who did it) was those people's pages that had like a zillion pictures on it and took like 10 minutes to load.  I used to have this one buddy on my friends list who had a page that had so many pictures and animated gifs, that it would always crash my computer. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/16/09 at 12:24 am

The sooner the better.

I just hope musicians quit using it.  I mean, I'm not a musician myself, but I host a radio program, so I'm often try to get in touch with musicians I like.  Myspace made it facile for people to start a page and, especially with Myspace, to upload music files.  The problem is Myspace pages are BUTT ugly and you can't even email the person on the page if you don't have a Myspace account, which I REFUSE to get.  Fortunately, a lot of composers are in academics, so I can often email them through their school, but I've had to tell more than one of them I will not go to their Myspace page and I will not link to it on my blog. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

(Sure, and the world of contemporary classical music goes boo-hoo!)
:P

Oh, the other thing musicians on Myspace (and lots of others on Myspace) do is program a music file to start as soon as the page loads.  I hate that.  Even if it's good music, which it usually isn't, it's still distracting. 

Written By: Kyle 230 on 12/01/09 at 11:28 am

MySpace is still popular...there is a lot of older people on the site and they are not after other kids and a lot of them have their own business and they like to get customers, not sexual predators.  There are a lot of 13-15 year olds on there too but the last time I really logged in, nobody my age is on this site.  A lot of people my age are Facebookers.  Usually the kids that have their own band  or rap or something like that on MySpace.  Facebook is more for kids that are in school, and just hanging with their friends.

Check for new replies or respond here...