inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF SOUL TRAIN

Written By: egypt99 on 03/25/07 at 5:10 pm

Do you think its played out. or its has a few more years on the TRACK.

Subject: Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF SOUL TRAIN

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 5:14 pm

http://mulvaneemergencyservices.org/Icons/kan.train.jpg

Written By: egypt99 on 03/25/07 at 5:33 pm

http://mulvaneemergencyservices.org/Icons/kan.train.jpg
VERY FUNNY ;D

Written By: woops on 03/25/07 at 6:31 pm

I like that older episodes are shown.

Yesterday, I saw an episode from 1987 with rap group Whodini, Freddie Jackson, and some girl group called Lace.

Not to mentionbig hair, spandex, and skirts  :D

Though I'm not into the show, it should've been canned 10 years ago.

Wonder if older Top of the Pops episodes are played in the UK?  8) :D

Written By: tv on 03/25/07 at 7:32 pm

I remember when I was younger "Soul Train" used to be in on Saturday Mornings on Channel 11 which was called WPIX in NYC before it was called the WB ands now the CW Channel)but now its on cable(it can be seen on WGN which is a TV station out of Chicago) I think. I think Soul Train hasn't been relevant or derserved to be relevant since 1994 maybe.

Written By: egypt99 on 03/25/07 at 9:44 pm

I remember when I was younger "Soul Train" used to be in on Saturday Mornings on Channel 11 which was called WPIX in NYC before it was called the WB ands now the CW Channel)but now its on cable(it can be seen on WGN which is a TV station out of Chicago) I think. I think Soul Train hasn't been relevant or derserved to be relevant since 1994 maybe.
I agree to some point. but the show was going some where else after the 70's & 80's. so maybe that way it hasn't became RELEVANT. in 10 years or more :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 9:47 pm

What's with the random caps lock usage?  I think that needs to catch on HERE.  See?!  Love it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/26/07 at 12:12 am

Soul Train?  WTF?

Next you're gonna tell me that the Ed Sullivan Show is still on!
:D

Written By: egypt99 on 03/26/07 at 5:31 am

Soul Train?  WTF?

Next you're gonna tell me that the Ed Sullivan Show is still on!
:D
Yeah i know its pretty SHOCKING isn't it. ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/26/07 at 1:41 pm

Wait a minute, what about Solid Gold ?  ;D

Written By: woops on 03/26/07 at 2:36 pm

MTV still airs music videos 24/7  :D

"Soul Train" is showing a "Best of", though I'm not sure if there's a new season or showing older episodes until sometime this year to replace it with cheesy infomercials or until a new season appears

The older episodes could move to BET or VH1 Classics or something...

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/07 at 7:09 pm

I'd rather watch "Sole" Train

A Flounder has more talent than most of the singers today ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/26/07 at 8:32 pm

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/26/07 at 8:56 pm

I always preferred Coltrane.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/graphics/coltrane.jpg

Written By: Flameon on 05/01/07 at 5:18 pm

I like the old stuff from the 70's.

I used to go to this club, about a year ago, and they would play old sould train vids in the background. It was really cool to stop and watch sometimes.

Written By: jackas on 05/01/07 at 8:50 pm

The Soooooooooouul Train!  The Soul Train was pretty ghetto. ;D  Sometimes I watch it and laugh.  Don Cornelius was so stiff and uneventful.  Hey...at least he wasn't phony like those douche bags on the MTV shows.

Written By: ralfy on 04/17/16 at 12:21 pm

"All Aboard: Soul Train, Acquired by BET, Announces Chaka Khan, Kool & the Gang, More for 2017 Cruise"

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/7325486/bet-soul-train-cruise-lineup

Written By: Zelek2 on 04/17/16 at 5:04 pm

Never really watched this show, but from what I've heard, it's one of those shows that was at its peak in the 70s-80s, but turned off many older viewers in the 90s-00s as the pop music landscape changed from soul, funk, disco, etc. music to...Snoop Dogg and Lil' Kim. ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/16 at 5:35 pm

I never really watched Soul Train, even though I was only 6 years and 3 months old when the show ended. But I think I'll be bored of it as a kid, since most of them were musicians that I never even heard of until I was in my preteens.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/16 at 5:51 pm

I watched a few 2000s soul train... and it was okay.
I went back and watched the classic soul train from the 70s and early 80s; and that was the BOMBDIGGITY!!!!! :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/17/16 at 5:57 pm

I watched a few 2000s soul train... and it was okay.
I went back and watched the classic soul train from the 70s and early 80s; and that was the BOMBDIGGITY!!!!! :D

Yeah, I think the 70s/early 80s Soul Train was more definite, since it was about soul music. After that, it was about anything related to African-American music (mostly hip-hop).

Written By: Howard on 04/18/16 at 2:46 pm

Never really watched this show, but from what I've heard, it's one of those shows that was at its peak in the 70s-80s, but turned off many older viewers in the 90s-00s as the pop music landscape changed from soul, funk, disco, etc. music to...Snoop Dogg and Lil' Kim. ;D

They lost my viewing when it changed to rap.

Written By: Ripley on 04/18/16 at 4:02 pm

I really enjoyed it in the late 90's when Mystro and then Shemar were the hosts.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/19/16 at 7:45 am

You've just made the '70s/'80s soul/R&B generation feel old with that link since it seems like musical cruises consists of people that appeal to AARP card carriers and stairlift people. It was common in the '90s, '00s, and into this decade to have such cruises geared toward the Doo Wop/early Rhythm & Blues/Rock crowd and later Motown.

That said, by 2000 Soul Train was a sad shadow of its former self, and it wasn't the same ever since Don left and spent the later part of the 2000s as "The Best of Soul Train" in hopes that new episodes would be produced. But like MTV, it gradually became less about soul and more about hip-hop. However, the early-mid '90s were still fun since there was still some good soul mixed with the then fresh hip-hop.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/17 at 2:10 pm

I got my fix by watching some old 1970's shows on YouTube a few hours ago. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...