inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do people act smarter now?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/27/07 at 1:20 pm

Back in the '80s and early '90s, it seemed like people "acted juvenile" to be cool (i.e. potty humor, or "Yo Mama" jokes), especially kids. Nerds were picked on more too. It was in the mid-late '90s, probably with the rise of computers and the Internet, that I started noticing a change in this. I knew kids in Elementary and even Junior High who wouldn't have known the first thing about politics or stuff like that. Of course it depends on the person, but I think intelligence is more respected today (which is a good thing). :)

Subject: Re: Do people act smarter now?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/27/07 at 4:35 pm

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Back in the '80s and most of the '90s, people who knew a whole lot about computers were often stereotyped as nerds, and were usually picked on. These days its considered strange if you don't have a computer and get on the internet on a regular basis.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/27/07 at 10:42 pm

^ The ones on the computers don't seem to act that smart...what with all the WTF 1337 OMG BBQ :D :D

But I digress...it's still a world that caters to the superjocks and the glam celebrities rather than a world that celebrates brains and ingenuity.  You'll find 10000 articles about J. Lo's butt but barely a fraction of that about the latest news in cancer research, for example. 

In a way, the computers and the internet has become both the new "library" where nerds can study from, and the new "corner" where wannabe punks gather to scheme...it's a gross generalization and I'm not sure I can explain it right, but that's my opinion and I guess I'll stick with it :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/28/07 at 9:10 am

there are a lot more people who are aware of what's going on around them, however, there still are plenty of people who obviously were born under a rock. :D ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/28/07 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, there's always been different kinds of people who think outside the box and those who don't, lol.

I have noticed that people are more open to things like abstinence (at least in certain circles), or with alternative lifestyles. And while "nerdy" nerds aren't cool per se, I think they're respected more than they used to be. Back in the '80s, those kids would've probably gotten taunted in the hall and shoved into lockers by jocks.

Heck, even talking in detail about stuff on message boards would've been viewed as pretty dorky back then. Whereas now everybody does it. I wonder if the abundance of tech made people "smarter" in some ways. Heck, even to do text messaging, you kinda have to know what you're doing. Same for operating a digital camera.

I guess video games were like the very beginning of the "tech for fun" era of 1987+.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/28/07 at 6:43 pm

^ The ones on the computers don't seem to act that smart...what with all the WTF 1337 OMG BBQ :D :D

But I digress...it's still a world that caters to the superjocks and the glam celebrities rather than a world that celebrates brains and ingenuity.  You'll find 10000 articles about J. Lo's butt but barely a fraction of that about the latest news in cancer research, for example. 

In a way, the computers and the internet has become both the new "library" where nerds can study from, and the new "corner" where wannabe punks gather to scheme...it's a gross generalization and I'm not sure I can explain it right, but that's my opinion and I guess I'll stick with it :)

Wait'll J.Lo gets butt cancer!
:-\\

People act as dumb as ever and the liberty to act dumb is a testament to our advanced civilization.

Back in the old days when we were small bands of hunter-gatherers, if you acted dumb, you quickly got killed and eaten.  Nowadays we're more padded from consequences.  We can even pick other dumb people for our leaders!  Don't let the name fool ya, I'm dumb and I like it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_rabbit.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/29/07 at 7:49 pm

Back in the old days when we were small bands of hunter-gatherers, if you acted dumb, you quickly got killed and eaten.  Nowadays we're more padded from consequences. 

Aye, we're heading towards Idiocracy at a breakneck pace, and there's nothing we can do about it.  Besides, "Ow!  My Balls!" is on tonight!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/07 at 5:53 pm

Aye, we're heading towards Idiocracy at a breakneck pace, and there's nothing we can do about it.  Besides, "Ow!  My Balls!" is on tonight!

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...