inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Metallica an unfit name for a baby girl?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/03/07 at 1:03 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/ap_en_mu/baby_metallica;_ylt=AjijKZ6wtQV_qYY62CtZGK1xFb8C

Sorry Davey...

Subject: Re: Metallica an unfit name for a baby girl?

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/07 at 1:17 pm

I agree that Metallica is not a name that a kid should have (because it's just mean), but shouldn't the parents be allowed to name their kid whatever they want?  Guess Sweedish laws are different?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/03/07 at 1:41 pm

I agree that Metallica is not a name that a kid should have (because it's just mean), but shouldn't the parents be allowed to name their kid whatever they want?  Guess Sweedish laws are different?

I know!  I wouldn't name my daughter Metallica, but I don't know why the government even cares.

Besides...there are far worse things that people do to children than give them dumb names - the government should be worried about that.

Written By: Tam on 04/03/07 at 1:48 pm

You know, if BJork's parents named her that then why can't these people name their kid Metallica? ;D

Written By: Tia on 04/03/07 at 2:21 pm

ends with an "a," just like tia and melissa. i dont see the problem.

Written By: woops on 04/03/07 at 2:28 pm

Don't think Lars Ulrich would like that  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/03/07 at 3:15 pm

A lot of Scandinavian countries require you to name your child only from a list of approved names.  I know Denmark has one.  And Bjork is actually a very traditional Scandinavian name and it's very popular in Iceland, where she's from. 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/03/07 at 4:26 pm

A lot of Scandinavian countries require you to name your child only from a list of approved names.  I know Denmark has one.  And Bjork is actually a very traditional Scandinavian name and it's very popular in Iceland, where she's from. 
Yep....Sweden has one as well.

I have to say that an "accepted name list" is not necessarily a bad thing....looking through the baby announcements in my Sunday paper sometimes, I have no clue how to pronounce some of the names people name their babies....can you imagine going through your life with a name that you are CONSTANTLY having to correct people in their pronunciation of it?  What a freakin' nightmare...

Written By: Tia on 04/03/07 at 4:37 pm

A lot of Scandinavian countries require you to name your child only from a list of approved names.  I know Denmark has one.   And Bjork is actually a very traditional Scandinavian name and it's very popular in Iceland, where she's from. 
i believe i heard the name "adolf" is outlawed in germany. not sure why.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/03/07 at 4:42 pm

i believe i heard the name "adolf" is outlawed in germany. not sure why.

Such a pretty name.

I think Germany stopped a Muslim couple from naming their kid "Osama bin Laden" a few years back.

Written By: spaceace on 04/03/07 at 4:58 pm

Metallica, yes it does have a rather nice ring to it.  Sure beats Moon Unit Zappa.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/07 at 5:46 pm

I consider it an assault on personal liberty to have to get a government stamp of approval for your child's name, but I'm an American.  We don't do that in our culture.  OK, so her name can't be "Metallica," but she will never go without healthcare, housing, education, or food money.  So there are trade-offs between being a Swede and being an American.

If I was a government magistrate, I would allow the name "Metallica," but if a young couple said, "We want to name our daughter 'Bon Jovi,'" I'd send them both for 30 days mental health observation!
:D

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/03/07 at 5:49 pm

I have to say that an "accepted name list" is not necessarily a bad thing....looking through the baby announcements in my Sunday paper sometimes, I have no clue how to pronounce some of the names people name their babies....can you imagine going through your life with a name that you are CONSTANTLY having to correct people in their pronunciation of it?  What a freakin' nightmare...

Sometimes I wonder if the parents even know how to spell the names they've picked out.  Some of the announcements I've seen look like a bunch of random letters thrown together.  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 04/03/07 at 8:54 pm

Actually, it has some advantages. My mother is named Dona (pronounced DOE-nuh), but it's pretty sweet really. She always knows when a telemarketer is calling because they all ask for "Donna". Idiots.

Back on this topic, more power to the parents, but I'd never name my kid Metallica. I can already think of a load of rather crude jokes for that one.

I wonder if Metallica the band will sue the parents over trademark infringement or some other nonsense.  :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/03/07 at 9:05 pm

I'll never understand why parents can't give their children normal names.  Jason Lee named his son "Pilot Inspektor".  Toni Braxton has a son named "Denim".  Shannon Sossomyn named her kid "Audio Science".  I'm beginning to wonder if they just open up the dictionary, scan though the pages and scream "Stop!" and then whatever word their finger lands on, that's the kid's name. 

What happened to Charlotte, Sophia, Theresa, Grace, Elizabeth, Anne, Mary, Helen, Rose, Alexandra, etc,.?

Written By: spaceace on 04/03/07 at 9:08 pm

I'll never understand why parents can't give their children normal names.  Jason Lee named his son "Pilot Inspektor".  Toni Braxton has a son named "Denim".  Shannon Sossomyn named her kid "Audio Science".  I'm beginning to wonder if they just open up the dictionary, scan though the pages and scream "Stop!" and then whatever word their finger lands on, that's the kid's name. 

What happened to Charlotte, Sophia, Theresa, Grace, Elizabeth, Anne, Mary, Helen, Rose, Alexandra, etc,.?

Yes, like out of a baby name book.  Metallica does sound like female metal, what would the male form of that be?

Written By: Red Ant on 04/03/07 at 9:10 pm

Yes, like out of a baby name book.  Metallica does sound like female metal, what would the male form of that be?

Megadeth!

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/03/07 at 9:16 pm

;D ;D ;D

I also hate creative spellings.

I saw an announcement in the paper once, the kids name was Xzavier.  Isn't there an extra letter in there?  

I used to work at a photography studio and this woman comes in to have her grand child's photo taken, the little girl's name is Brianna but they spelled it Brainna.  That name is BRAIN-ah.  

I also know a girl named Sarah, she takes riding lessons with Megan.  It's a lovely Biblical name but her parents decided to change the spelling...Sarha.  WTF???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/03/07 at 9:21 pm

I think with "Xzavier", they decided to spell it the way it sounds.  Just say the name, and you can hear the "z" sound....but that doesn't mean you need it in the name.  I went to H.S. with a girl named Royese......but you pronounced it Rose.  I never got that.  Most teachers we had together never came close to spelling it right.

Written By: spaceace on 04/03/07 at 9:26 pm

Megadeth!

How quaint. :P

Written By: Tia on 04/03/07 at 9:28 pm

how about "manowar"?

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/07 at 9:37 pm

Kids with weird names often get picked on in school.  So by giving your kid an uncommon name, you're basically setting him up for a beating.  That's just cruel

Written By: spaceace on 04/03/07 at 9:39 pm

how about "manowar"?

What would you use as a middle name though? ???

Written By: Tia on 04/03/07 at 9:44 pm

What would you use as a middle name though? ???
maybe "manos"?

manowar manos?

http://www.monstersinmotion.us/dvd/manosdvd.jpg

Written By: spaceace on 04/03/07 at 9:46 pm

maybe "manos"?

manowar manos?

http://www.monstersinmotion.us/dvd/manosdvd.jpg

Nah, it's usually appropriate to avoid the double letter bit.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/03/07 at 10:03 pm

No, what about Quiet Riot, for a name instead, if you really wanna go metal?  ;D

Written By: Tia on 04/03/07 at 10:12 pm

http://www.c4vct.com/kym/humor/rockband.htm

yoko homo? dicky retardo?

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/05/07 at 3:58 pm

Who cares? It's none of my business what someone names their child, no matter how dumb I think it is. Goverments of any kind definitely do not have a say in that.

I also have mixed feelings about people criticizing spelling variations or the "un-normalness"  of other people's names. Why? My name is Sha-Qona. I bet some reading this right now are probably wondering "Oh my god, how do say that? there's no U!!!". Well that's my name plain and simple. No U, capitalized Q, hypen and all. I once had a teacher take 5pts off my spelling test because she thought my name insulted the english language( for not having a U). I've also had idiots try assure me, that my name was made up and/or "Ghetto fabulous". Plus "oh you don't spell it that way you're SUPPOSED to spell it Shaquana."  Mind you my name is the original..the latter is the English friendly version.  ::)I'm just sick of people trying to talk crap about the beautiful name that my mom and I share(yeah I'm a Jr :)) just because it doesn't fit into their book of normal.

I don't think the issue is whether people have "suitable" names or what not...I think the problem that really needs to be looked is WHY people feel the need to criticize the names in the first place. I'm all for uniqueness in names, straight up.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/05/07 at 4:52 pm

Kids with weird names often get picked on in school.  So by giving your kid an uncommon name, you're basically setting him up for a beating.  That's just cruel

I still got picked on for my name.  Max isn't the universal "Dave," but it's not "Moon Puppy" either.  I was the only Max in the whole school.  Maxi-Pad, Max Factor, Mad Max, Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome, Max Headroom, TJ Maxx, Maximum Sentence, Maxwell House, and, yes, Maxwell Smart all identified the same guy--me!
:-\\

As for some of those cheesy names, there isn't much in between.  If you know a girl named "Wynter," she either lives in a mansion or a trailer park.  Just something I've noticed. 

Some of the spelling variations are taken on for affect by the individuals themselves.  I knew a kid named Rick who started spelling it Ryq!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...