inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: craig's list

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/05/07 at 7:25 am

Just heard on the Today Show that some lady's house in Washington state was trashed after someone placed an ad on Craig's List that everything in the house was "free."  It was a rental that she had just evicted the tenants from and remodeled.  How cruel can some people be?  I know a few people who have used Craig's List to buy/sell/trade stuff and never thought that something like this would happen.  I tried to find a link, but couldn't.

What do y'all think about something like this?  Should Craig's List be monitored for stuff like this?

Subject: Re: craig's list

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/05/07 at 4:43 pm

I heard this story.  That poor woman.  My God!  There are some truly rotten people out there.  I don't think it says much for the people who took the offer.  I always say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it is."  Nobody would just give her entire house away.  That's silly.  Don't believe everything you read.

What responsibility does Craigslist have?  I don't know the answer.  I've always found Craigslist facile and effective.  It's also free, which is great.  I have noticed most things that started out free and easy to use don't stay that way.  You can't trust certain people, and it only takes a few scumbags to ruin it for everybody.

I'm still trying to get rid of my PayPal account.  Apparently, it's harder for me to access it than it is for those hackers.  Every time you log on you have to fill out a giant form...it's like doing your taxes!  That's if you want to get into your own account the legit way.  I sure wish I'd taken a community college course in hacking.  It would be much easier.  I could just bust into their software and delete the account myself instead of getting the endless runaround!

Anyway, I digress...

I think Craigslist is a good service.  Unfortunately, some people will use it for evil things.
::)

Written By: Marian on 04/06/07 at 11:36 am

Just heard on the Today Show that some lady's house in Washington state was trashed after someone placed an ad on Craig's List that everything in the house was "free."  It was a rental that she had just evicted the tenants from and remodeled.  How cruel can some people be?  I know a few people who have used Craig's List to buy/sell/trade stuff and never thought that something like this would happen.  I tried to find a link, but couldn't.

What do y'all think about something like this?  Should Craig's List be monitored for stuff like this?
Sounds like a job for "Extreme makeover--Home edition"!!

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/07 at 1:23 pm

What is Craig's List?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/07 at 1:32 pm

What is Craig's List?

Enter craigslist.org into your search bar.

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/07 at 1:34 pm

Enter craigslist.org into your search bar.

Ah classified ads.  I'd never heard of craigslist before

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/07 at 1:42 pm

Ah classified ads.  I'd never heard of craigslist before

Yep, you can sell your old bicycle or rent yourself a new hooker all via Craigslist.
;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/07 at 1:48 pm

Yep, you can sell your old bicycle or rent yourself a new hooker all via Craigslist.
;D

Renting a hooker on-line?  Gives new meaning to Computer Virus :D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/07 at 5:57 pm

Renting a hooker on-line?  Gives new meaning to Computer Virus :D ;D

Better through your hard drive than your hard...how do you do!
:-X

You're not far off, actually.  There's a big market for so-called "cyber sex."  No meeting in the flesh, just via webcam.  Never seemed worthwhile to me.  Why pay pay money for something I can do for free?
;D

See, Craigslist has a subsection called "Erotic,"  so of course I'm gonna check it out!  Some of them appear to be the real deal, others appear to be phone/cyber nonsense or outright scams.  Caveat emptor and bon appetit!
:-*

Written By: Marian on 04/07/07 at 2:02 pm

;D
can you swap your old one for a new one? ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/07/07 at 5:53 pm

can you swap your old one for a new one? ;)

I dunno, I guess I'll have to get one to swap!

Now the stories of outrage are coming out on FOX News about prostitution services available via Craigslist, and isn't it an outrage?  Well, weeklies such as The Village Voice and The Boston Phoenix made generous revenues via pimping in print for decades.  Law enforcement shook their fists, but it went on for decades. 

Let's blame Craigslist for our problems!
:D

Written By: Marian on 04/13/07 at 10:59 am

Now the stories of outrage are coming out on FOX News about prostitution services available via Craigslist, and isn't it an outrage?  Well, weeklies such as The Village Voice and The Boston Phoenix made generous revenues via pimping in print for decades.  Law enforcement shook their fists, but it went on for decades. 

it looks like you can put ANYTHING on it.Granted,if you get flagged your ad will be removed,but in the meantime,who knows how many people wuill read it!

Written By: Davester on 04/16/07 at 12:28 am

Careful, Max...

Some of these articles could be a plant to catch prostitutes.  Not saying it is, but it could be as the ATF quite often puts out bogus ads on Craigslist to bait illegal arms sales such as AKs or other parts to states that don't allow 'em.  Lots of wary stuff to watch out for on Craigslist...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/16/07 at 10:53 am

I've never used the ads on Craigslist, but I used to read the rants all the time.  There's some funny stuff in there!

Written By: Midas on 04/16/07 at 6:53 pm

I've used craigslist solely to sell furniture and advertise items for a garage sale; it's been very effective in that respect.

Written By: Marian on 04/17/07 at 3:19 pm

I've never used the ads on Craigslist, but I used to read the rants all the time.  There's some funny stuff in there!
like what?

Written By: lterhune on 04/17/07 at 3:37 pm

I sold to fridges on craig's list and gave away three bags of clothes... a lot of people read it cuz the respones were FAST..

* I even posted a photo of my ex bungee jumpling - I added flames at the bottom.

Written By: spaceace on 04/17/07 at 4:14 pm

I sold to fridges on craig's list and gave away three bags of clothes... a lot of people read it cuz the respones were FAST..

* I even posted a photo of my ex bungee jumpling - I added flames at the bottom.

What?  You didn't try to sell the ex too.  ;)

Written By: lterhune on 04/17/07 at 5:10 pm

What?  You didn't try to sell the ex too.  ;)

I wouldn't even do that to a liberal!  ;D

Written By: Marian on 04/20/07 at 1:15 pm

I wouldn't even do that to a liberal!   ;D

LOL

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/20/07 at 1:37 pm

My boyfriend uses craigslist frequently to hire or recruit people to work for him. It's been somewhat effective, and nevertheless, he's made a few contacts. I've used it for job searches, homes for rent searches (because they have pictures, unlike most classified ads), and general merchandise. I've even pondered putting my resume on there, but that may be risky for certain reasons. So, anyway, I like craigslist. It works well, and if there are a few people out there who want to make it look bad - go ahead - it's not going to stop people from using it.

Written By: lterhune on 04/20/07 at 9:19 pm

My boyfriend uses craigslist frequently to hire or recruit people to work for him. It's been somewhat effective, and nevertheless, he's made a few contacts. I've used it for job searches, homes for rent searches (because they have pictures, unlike most classified ads), and general merchandise. I've even pondered putting my resume on there, but that may be risky for certain reasons. So, anyway, I like craigslist. It works well, and if there are a few people out there who want to make it look bad - go ahead - it's not going to stop people from using it.

Wow, have you seen any other resumes on Craig's list? That sounds scary - very personal stuff. Even if you left your name and address off, the places you used to work would still be scary to put up.. Hmmm. how about a "kinda" resume?

For example you could say The type of business and not the name of the business etc., then at the bottom you could tell them in some professional way that companies could email you for a complete resume if they are interested in what you have up.... or somethng like that.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/24/07 at 5:52 pm

like what?

There is a section where people can just go off on anything they want to.  It's called "Rants" and it can be highly entertaining.  People rant about any number of things - their neighbors, bedbugs, people on the subway.  There are some talented writers out there.

Written By: Marian on 04/27/07 at 10:56 am

There is a section where people can just go off on anything they want to.  It's called "Rants" and it can be highly entertaining.  People rant about any number of things - their neighbors, bedbugs, people on the subway.  There are some talented writers out there.
I agree.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 04/29/07 at 3:23 pm

I love reading the "Missed Connections" section.  "Our eyes met in the grocery store..." that kinda thing.  Also a lot of people confessing crushes on their coworkers.  Good stuff.

The "events" part of the "gigs" section is good when you're looking for a little extra cash, especially in NY when there's a big trade show at the Javits Center.

Check for new replies or respond here...