inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Senior Citizen party ideas??

Written By: saver on 04/13/07 at 1:40 pm

Hi messageboarders,

I am putting together a theme party for a senior citizens' 75th birthday am going with a Hawaiian them..trouble is, I am having a question as to what to serve(no alcohol and food must be acceptable for diabetics and people who can really have tougher steak/meat..not everyone but most. )..

I have seen sites online for the party essentials, just wondering what to serve for this older group..
thought  of macadamia nuts and chicken among things, but nuts are out as they may have digestion problems and looks like the alternative would be jello and applesauce.

What might you think of?

Thank you for the input  ???

Subject: Re: Senior Citizen party ideas??

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/13/07 at 7:23 pm

Hi messageboarders,

I am putting together a theme party for a senior citizens' 75th birthday am going with a Hawaiian them..trouble is, I am having a question as to what to serve(no alcohol and food must be acceptable for diabetics and people who can really have tougher steak/meat..not everyone but most. )..

I have seen sites online for the party essentials, just wondering what to serve for this older group..
thought  of macadamia nuts and chicken among things, but nuts are out as they may have digestion problems and looks like the alternative would be jello and applesauce.

What might you think of?

Thank you for the input   ???

Well you could have a contest to see who can down the most Metamucil... dry... without washing it down with water.  Or have a prune juice chugging contest.   ;D

Applesauce might not be good for the diabetics unless you go with unsweetened sauce, which ought to be OK.  I'd also stay away from anything salty (jacks up the blood pressure).

For the meal, how about simple broiled chicken breast, steamed geen beans, corn on the cob, steamed baby carrots, and sensible portion of mashed potatos (but without the salt or butter on the taters).  That will avoid most of the bad foods for elderly with heart problems or diabetic.

Written By: Tia on 04/13/07 at 7:31 pm

i threw a WWII themed party once and it went over really big. new years eve gig, we listened to the andrews sisters and danced our asses off. good times.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/14/07 at 7:21 am

What about pastas like ravioli and tortellini ? They are nice and soft - easy for elderly hands to pick up with a fork or spoon.

Or rissottos - which can basically contain anything you want to put in it. I make chicken, garlic and corn, or chicken and asparagus, or bacon and peas.

As italian foods they dont neceesarily suit the hawaiian theme but they are definitely simple to prepare and eat.

Oooh as I typed this I thought of a dish my mum always threw together for guests called Hawaiian Chicken.

Basically cut chicken into cubes (bout inch by inch size but could be smaller). Brown chicken with chopped onion. In a casserole dish throw the chicken, onion, cubed pineapple, and a couple of tins of tomato soup. Cook in the oven until bubbling. Serve on nice fluffy rice.  Can also add corn or snow peas or capsicum.

Written By: spaceace on 04/14/07 at 12:26 pm

Well you could have a contest to see who can down the most Metamucil... dry... without washing it down with water.  Or have a prune juice chugging contest.  ;D

Applesauce might not be good for the diabetics unless you go with unsweetened sauce, which ought to be OK.  I'd also stay away from anything salty (jacks up the blood pressure).

For the meal, how about simple broiled chicken breast, steamed geen beans, corn on the cob, steamed baby carrots, and sensible portion of mashed potatos (but without the salt or butter on the taters).  That will avoid most of the bad foods for elderly with heart problems or diabetic.

WTF,  I don't find that funny at all.  :P

Written By: spaceace on 04/14/07 at 12:28 pm

i threw a WWII themed party once and it went over really big. new years eve gig, we listened to the andrews sisters and danced our asses off. good times.

Don't forget Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney and Bobby Vinton!!!! :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/15/07 at 3:44 am

Rent/buy a Nintendo Wii.

My little brother bought one a few months back, and my parents (who are in their late 60s/early 70s and who wouldn't go anywhere near a PS2/3 or Xbox) absolutely love it. Plus, I've been reading online that a lot of retirement homes have been buying them and that they've been a huge hit among the residents.

Kinda farfetched I know, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Written By: spaceace on 04/16/07 at 1:38 pm

Rent/buy a Nintendo Wii.

My little brother bought one a few months back, and my parents (who are in their late 60s/early 70s and who wouldn't go anywhere near a PS2/3 or Xbox) absolutely love it. Plus, I've been reading online that a lot of retirement homes have been buying them and that they've been a huge hit among the residents.

Kinda farfetched I know, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I know 80 year olds who play video games.  They say it keeps the mind sharp. :)

Written By: saver on 04/19/07 at 2:53 pm

Thanks all for the ideas..found a site that lists what to have at a Hawaiian party and will modify the food for the sake of the seniors 'teeth' and 'digestion'...

8)

Written By: Gis on 04/20/07 at 2:54 am

No alcohol! Man all the senoirs I know would be spitting at that one!  ;D

Written By: Tia on 06/02/07 at 11:55 am

when/if i get old, i know two things: i'm gonna wanna keep drinkin', and i'm gonna wanna keep fu...

well, you know.

i'm probably gonna wanna keep playing guitar, too. any of y'all know about les paul? pretty much invented the electric guitar, definitely invented modern multitrack tape recording, way back in the 40s he and his wife were doing amazing stuff.

anyway, i think he's like, 91, diabetic and arthritic, the diabetes cost him two of his four fingers on his fretting hand, and the arthritis is all shot through the two fingers he has left... and he still plays once a week, has a club in new york city.

Written By: Tia on 06/02/07 at 12:40 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OAbH1b5HEO8

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/07 at 6:00 pm

Hi messageboarders,

What might you think of?

Thank you for the input   ???

"Grannies Gone Wild!"  You think......maybe

Written By: danootaandme on 06/03/07 at 6:03 pm

So how did the thing go?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/07 at 8:49 pm

Ecstasy in the punchbowl.

Anybody see "Caccoon?"  Never mind.
:-\\

Written By: karen on 06/05/07 at 6:39 am

when/if i get old, i know two things: i'm gonna wanna keep drinkin', and i'm gonna wanna keep fu...

well, you know.

i'm probably gonna wanna keep playing guitar, too. any of y'all know about les paul? pretty much invented the electric guitar, definitely invented modern multitrack tape recording, way back in the 40s he and his wife were doing amazing stuff.

anyway, i think he's like, 91, diabetic and arthritic, the diabetes cost him two of his four fingers on his fretting hand, and the arthritis is all shot through the two fingers he has left... and he still plays once a week, has a club in new york city.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/power_to_the_people/6615695.stm

Check for new replies or respond here...