inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is SNL better when sitcoms are at a peak?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/07 at 9:02 am

Don't you think SNL had two "golden" periods?

First was its original 1975-1980ish era with stars like Chevy Chase and Bill Murray, among others. After hitting a little slump in the early-mid '80s, it came back strong in the 1987-1993 period with Adam Sandler, Phil Hartman, Victoria Jackson, Wayne's World sketches, etc. It remained at least tolerable/sorta funny throughout the rest of the '90s (there was no shortage of material with Clinton, for instance, lol).

What seems to be a pattern is that it's usually funnier when sitcoms are big, perhaps because they provide some of the material inevitably. For most of the '80s, those were in a low point, as they've been again since 2001.

Subject: Re: Is SNL better when sitcoms are at a peak?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/16/07 at 9:46 am

My favorite time period of SNL was when Molly Shannon, Will Ferrell, Ana Gastyer, Chris Kattan, Sheri Oteri, Jimmy Fallon, etc were on there...I thought they wre all hilarious!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/07 at 9:59 am

^Oh yeah, they're good too. I only recently started liking Will Ferrell when I saw Elf, though. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/16/07 at 10:00 am

^Oh yeah, they're good too. I only recently started liking Will Ferrell when I saw Elf, though. ;D

I really liked him on SNL...but it seems like once he started making movies and such....he has the same personality in every single movie that he's in.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/07 at 10:04 am

Yeah, that's sorta true. I guess the same thing happened with Adam Sandler (at least before about 2003), not to mention other guys like Pauly Shore.;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/16/07 at 10:14 am

Yeah, that's sorta true. I guess the same thing happened with Adam Sandler (at least before about 2003), not to mention other guys like Pauly Shore.;D

Yea, Adam Sandler used to annoy me...but for some reason, I really like him now. It seems like he has really broadened his horizons when it comes to the types of movies he acts in.  He used to be all goofy and nothing but that...but movies like, "50 First Dates", "Click"...and his new movie.....they show a more serious, softer side of him.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/07 at 10:22 am

Yea, Adam Sandler used to annoy me...but for some reason, I really like him now. It seems like he has really broadened his horizons when it comes to the types of movies he acts in.  He used to be all goofy and nothing but that...but movies like, "50 First Dates", "Click"...and his new movie.....they show a more serious, softer side of him.

Yeah, I first knew of him when I saw Happy Gilmore in the theatre when I was 14. At the time I loved it (I also had grown up around golf, so I found it additionally funny for that reason). As cool as he is, I think his overly silly/juvenile act stated to get old by the late '90s, especially with stuff like The Waterboy. So yeah, it was time for him to evolve, just like Jim Carrey did.

He's still funny and somewhat goofball-esque, but he's like 40 now, so it's nice to see him doing more serious stuff. Even in his earlier movies, you'll notice all his characters really have a good side when you get down to it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/16/07 at 10:24 am

Yeah, I first knew of him when I saw Happy Gilmore in the theatre when I was 14. At the time I loved it (I also had grown up around golf, so I found it additionally funny for that reason). As cool as he is, I think his over silly/juvenile act stated to get old by the late '90s, though - especially with stuff The Waterboy. So yeah, it was time for him to change, just like Jim Carrey did (who I feel the same about).

He's still funny and somewhat goofball-esque, but he's like 40 now, so it's nice to see him doing more serious stuff as well. Even in his earlier movies, you'll notice all his characters really have a good side when you get down to it.

Ya, we really like him now...we have a large movie collection and I think we own nearly every one of his movies...Chris is a big fan of his movies.

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/07 at 12:08 pm

My favourite SNL period was the old days of Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo and Tim Kazurinsky (who is perhaps best known as Sweechuck from the 'Police Academy' films)

I loved Eddie Murphy in Mr. Robinson's Neighbourhood.  He'd come in through the fire escape, and tell us boys and girls about the latest crime he'd just committed ;D

Since then, I've not really liked a group as a whole, but certain skits:

Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon as Hanz and Franz: "We're gonna pump *clap* you up!"
Mike Myers and Dana Carvey in Wayne's World
Chris Kattan and Will Ferrell as Doug and Steve Butabi

Written By: audkal on 04/16/07 at 12:57 pm

I still think the best years were probably the late 80s - mid 90s.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/16/07 at 11:48 pm

I just said it in another SNL topic but its worth mentioning again.... SNL was great Tina Feys last couple of seasons but has been pretty horrible this season.  Three exceptions... ludacris as host, drew barrymore and amy pohler as abigail breslin & dakota fanning and the Sofa King skit with shia Labouf this past Saturday 4/14/07 

It was Sofa King Funny ~ I really wanna know how they got it past the censors. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Hg8KJ4cAU

Check for new replies or respond here...