inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Jackson plans new album for late 07 release

Written By: Zoso on 04/24/07 at 6:25 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson%27s_2007_album

Michael Jackson's 11th album is due out before the end of the year. He is working with a wide array of music producer and writers including...

Teddy Riley - Creator of the New Jack Swing. He produced Jackson's "Remember The Time", as well as "In The Closet", "Blood on the Dance Floor" and "Whatever Happens".
Rodney Jerkins - Discovered by Teddy Riley. He produced Jackson's "You Rock My World" and "We've Had Enough". He's also worked with Destiny's Child.
will.i.am - Leading member of the Black Eyed Keys. He has produced for Fergie and Justin Timberlake among others.
Akon - Very popular at the moment. He writes and produces the majority of his own records. He'll be writing and a producing something for Michael Jackson.
Ne-Yo - Also very popular at the moment. He also writes and produces most of his own music. He wrote "Let Me Love You" for Mario and "Irreplacable" for Beyonce.
Neff-U - Ne-Yo's producer. He'll be producing (with Ne-Yo) the song(s) he writes for Michael Jackson. Also producing will be Neff-U's co-producer (sidekick if you prefer) Big Chuck.
Sean Garrett - A hit-making machine. A lot of the big hits of the last few years were written by him. He wrote Usher's "Yeah!", Destiny's Child's "Lose My Breath", Beyonce's "Check On It", Chris Brown's "Run It" and Fergie's "London Bridge".

Let's not forget the executive producer, and no doubt one of the leading songwriters for the album, Michael Jackson himself.

So with Jackson's old regular producers along with some new producers and writers who are fresh in the industry, do you think Jackson can pull off a successful album?

This album will be Jackson's first studio album since "Invincible". Invincible sold roughly 12 million copies worldwide and went to #1 in the US, UK, Australian and European charts. Can Michael Jackson follow up this success with the new record?

My opinion is it will have about the same success as his last album Invincible. Invincible sold 12 million, and I think Jackson can atleast reach the 10 million mark with his new album. I'm expecting some pretty big hits. Producer's like Sean Garrett have made some huge hits. Ne-Yo and Akon are also writing huge R&B hits. will.i.am is also a hit machine. Look at how well all the BEP and Fergie songs have done. These hit-making producers/songwriters combined with Michael's world-famous voice and name is the perfect formula for success. Don't forget the videos. If there is one thing that Michael is better than most other artists at, it's making videos. So Michael Jackson + hit-making producers and songwriters + state-of-the-art videos = A HUGE HIT!

By the way, is it just me or has Michael Jackson improved his appearance since the trial? This is a photo of him from Christmas time last year...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/street_walker/jbf.jpg

Subject: Re: Michael Jackson plans new album for late 07 release

Written By: limblifter on 04/24/07 at 9:24 am

I think you already know how most people feel about MJ on this board.

This album will flop in north america.

Written By: Zoso on 04/24/07 at 9:28 am

I think you already know how most people feel about MJ on this board.

This album will flop in north america.

I'm not asking people's opinions of him (well I did open up discussion about his current appearance, but apart from that). I know most people's feelings about him (influenced by popular media). I was just wondering what most people thought of his chances at success. And also what people think of his choice of producers. I think it might be an interesting album and something worthy of discussion.

It might flop in the US. Although the style of music that this album will probably be (soul/R&B/hip-hop) is very popular in the US at the moment.

Written By: whistledog on 04/24/07 at 12:59 pm

I definately won't be getting this.  It will be a big time flop

Written By: Paul on 04/24/07 at 1:44 pm

Let's see...

An artist who's way past his best, tries to prove he still has his finger 'on the pulse' by roping in some hot producers and writers...

Smacks a helluva lot like desperation, if you ask me...

Think of it as an eldery uncle trying to be 'with it' with the kids' music of today...possibly well-intentioned, but ultimately embarrassing...

The copies he does manage to shift will be from the dwindling hardcore support (who, truth be told, would buy an album of MJ scratching his backside...)

'Off The Wall', 'Thriller'...and not much else! Sorry!

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/24/07 at 2:05 pm

mariah carey,britney spears,whitney houston, usher,madonna <<<<< with all these new albums coming out this fall no one will care about him

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/24/07 at 8:12 pm

Michael Jackson is one of the most talented singers of all time.... or at least he used to be.  The last song I remember from him was "You Rock my World" from the late 90s  It really wasn't very good IMO    I agree he is WAY past his prime

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/24/07 at 8:16 pm

By the way, is it just me or has Michael Jackson improved his appearance since the trial? This is a photo of him from Christmas time last year...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/street_walker/jbf.jpg
ahhhh, the wonders of cosmetics......

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/24/07 at 10:59 pm

that picture actually still frightens me.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/24/07 at 11:19 pm

I will be interested in hearing the lead single. I don't plan on buying this but I could be swayed if there's a hot track on there somewhere.

Admittedly, I've not purchased any MJ yet and will likely just wait for some sort of future careeer-spanning collection... but he is talented and I am looking forward to hearing what this produces whenever it materializes.

Written By: Zoso on 04/25/07 at 12:03 am

that picture actually still frightens me.

It's much better than this...

http://www.ssqq.com/jokes/Images/200212%20michael%20jackson%20color.jpg

He's fixed his face up real good since then.

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/07 at 12:12 am

The fact that he has to "fix up his face" still doesn't really say much though ;D

Written By: Zoso on 04/25/07 at 12:36 am

The fact that he has to "fix up his face" still doesn't really say much though ;D

Yeh, I guess so. lol

Atleast he did fix up his appearance though. I'm glad he doesn't look like he did a few years ago.

On a more positive note. A friend of mine who is a recording artist ran into will.i.am at a studio in LA yesterday. He asked him how the Michael Jackson album is going and Will said "it's coming along good, real good. It's going to be the best thing that has come out in years". He then asked when it's going to be released and Will said he had no idea because it's all up to Michael (the executive producer). All he said was that the writing/recording/producing process is pretty much completed now. They just have to "fine tune" some tracks and finalize the track-list and what not. Also, Michael's record label with Sony expired a couple of years ago. So even when they finish the album he still has to find a record label and a distributor.

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/07 at 4:46 am

They just have to "fine tune" some tracks and finalize the track-list and what not. Also, Michael's record label with Sony expired a couple of years ago. So even when they finish the album he still has to find a record label and a distributor.

I doubt any label would want to take a chance on him, given his past media history.  It's a case of "Will Jacko's sick and crazy lifestyle overshadow his singing?"

I (and pretty much the whole world) knows the answer to this is yes, but in some miraculous event, you never know.  His album might just get a release, see the Top 40, and have a hit or two.  It will be no Thriller though.  IT won't even be a Bad or Dangerous.  Platinum Sales for Michael Jackson albums will never again happen

Written By: Paul on 04/25/07 at 7:00 am

Admittedly, I've not purchased any MJ yet and will likely just wait for some sort of future careeer-spanning collection... but he is talented and I am looking forward to hearing what this produces whenever it materializes.

Sony did release this a couple of years back, which is a fairly half-decent overview of his career (admittedly omitting some Motown tracks, but I suppose you can't have it all...)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/25/07 at 7:07 am

It's much better than this...

http://www.ssqq.com/jokes/Images/200212%20michael%20jackson%20color.jpg

The only difference I see is that he shaved and put on some makeup and sunglasses.  Even in the first picture you posted, you can see that his nose is still messed up.

Written By: Zoso on 04/25/07 at 8:11 am

I doubt any label would want to take a chance on him, given his past media history.  It's a case of "Will Jacko's sick and crazy lifestyle overshadow his singing?"

I (and pretty much the whole world) knows the answer to this is yes, but in some miraculous event, you never know.  His album might just get a release, see the Top 40, and have a hit or two.  It will be no Thriller though.  IT won't even be a Bad or Dangerous.  Platinum Sales for Michael Jackson albums will never again happen

I would definately disagree with most labels not wanting to take a change with him. Sony BMG are offering big money to renew his contract. But he's not taking that deal because he's also got big offers from Island Def Jam and Virgin.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/07 at 7:37 pm

Hmm... the long-awaited Flit Boy comeback album!  :P

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/25/07 at 7:47 pm

Sony did release this a couple of years back, which is a fairly half-decent overview of his career (admittedly omitting some Motown tracks, but I suppose you can't have it all...)

Interesting! I hadn't seen that before. Not too bad. Thanks for the tip.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/25/07 at 9:03 pm

Like I said in the other thread, it'd be nice if he could make a huge musical comeback, but I wouldn't count on it. Maybe not an entire flop, but personally I'd guess it'll be somewhere in between the two extremes. It'll sell decently (for a regular album, not so much for an MJ album), and have one or two singles/videos, but won't really have a huge impact overall.

His "peak" was early 1983 to 1992, and if you wanna be nice, you could throw in "You Are Not Alone" too. His personal life, and trends aside, anything afterwards would seem more like an attempt to recreate that success, as opposed to actually being a part of it.

Invincible sold mostly on name recognition, as opposed to the music itself. I know "You Rock My World" was something of a hit, but it wasn't so huge that everyone knew about it. In other words, if that had been a debut album by someone else, I bet it wouldn't have been that successful merely for its songs. I'm predicting his new one will do perhaps slightly better than Invincible, but not nearly as good as anything preceding it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/25/07 at 9:35 pm

Sorry, not really all that interested.

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/07 at 9:45 pm

For me, the last good MJ album was 1991's "Dangerous", and even it wasn't all that good apart from the song "Black or White" which I still sort of enjoy.  Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad .. nothing else

Written By: Zoso on 04/26/07 at 3:23 am

For me, the last good MJ album was 1991's "Dangerous", and even it wasn't all that good apart from the song "Black or White" which I still sort of enjoy.  Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad .. nothing else
Well see, I think Black or White is one of his worst songs. There is much better songs on Dangerous. In The Closet, Remember the Time, Give In To Me, Who Is It and Will You Be There.

Written By: analogue on 04/28/07 at 12:12 pm

Finally! Michael Jackson is back!

Let's face it most music that's coming out in this day and age just plain sucks. So hopefully with this new album Michael can put a jolt back into the music industry

and if people arnt gonna bother with his new album just because of his personal life then that's just plain ignorant. Learn to seperate his personal life from his music

Check for new replies or respond here...