inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does pirate radio still exist?

Written By: doctorhamsandwich on 04/24/07 at 9:11 pm

Do you have any pirate radio stations near you? What do they air?

Subject: Re: Does pirate radio still exist?

Written By: nally on 04/24/07 at 10:35 pm

There isn't one in my area...but in the late 1980's there was. I never listened to it, so I don't know what kind of format it had.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/25/07 at 6:13 pm

whats pirate radio?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/25/07 at 9:33 pm

Illegal radio broadcasting, like in the film Pump Up The Volume.

It's usually done from someone's basement, or off coast somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_radio

Written By: nally on 04/25/07 at 10:57 pm

Illegal radio broadcasting, like in the film Pump Up The Volume.

It's usually done from someone's basement, or off coast somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_radio

Well then...I can't say I've ever heard any such stations given the description.

Written By: doctorhamsandwich on 04/25/07 at 11:40 pm

Well then...I can't say I've ever heard any such stations given the description.

Thanks for responding, anyway. I know someone who researches pirate radio and I was wondering how easy it would be to compile a list of stations via discussion boards. Apparently, not so easy!

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/27/07 at 6:45 pm

If you really think about it, pirate radio has been dead for a while, not much need for it now that any average Joe can stream his own radio station & music on-line for a few bucks and a halfway decent PC.

I tried to run my own back in my school days and the amount of equipment, time and $$ was not worth the hassle.

With current technology and the capabilities of the home PC, there is no reason to go through the effort.

There are a few places that pirate radio is still alive an viable, but as for the US, the PC and internet has killed pirate radio...something the FCC hasn't ever been able to do... :(

Written By: doctorhamsandwich on 04/29/07 at 8:06 pm

If you really think about it, pirate radio has been dead for a while, not much need for it now that any average Joe can stream his own radio station & music on-line for a few bucks and a halfway decent PC.

I tried to run my own back in my school days and the amount of equipment, time and $$ was not worth the hassle.

With current technology and the capabilities of the home PC, there is no reason to go through the effort.

There are a few places that pirate radio is still alive an viable, but as for the US, the PC and internet has killed pirate radio...something the FCC hasn't ever been able to do... :(

Thanks for the response. I wonder if streaming really replaces the function of the pirate radio station, which can be found by accident unlike a website. It has the potential to reach everyone with a radio, albeit in a small geography.

The 1996 telecom act made some small-wattage stations legal provided they're not for profit. I understand this loophole is mostly used by religious broadcasters in rural areas.

Written By: jackas on 05/01/07 at 8:54 pm

There isn't one in my area...but in the late 1980's there was. I never listened to it, so I don't know what kind of format it had.

I remember the pirate radio station in the LA area.  I listened to it all the time and loved it!  It was basically the hair bands and other rock that was popular during that time.

Written By: nally on 05/01/07 at 9:01 pm

I remember the pirate radio station in the LA area.  I listened to it all the time and loved it!  It was basically the hair bands and other rock that was popular during that time.

Thanks for the info, Chrissy. I wasn't entirely sure. :) I probably might've enjoyed it if I knew most of that music at the time. 8)

Subject: Does pirate radio still exist?

Written By: Dude111 on 03/08/18 at 3:12 pm

One of the most popular freqs for this is 6.955Mhz .... I have listenend recently but havent heard anything.........

Check for new replies or respond here...