inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have you noticed any "professional" Chevy Caprices still on the road?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/07 at 2:29 am

The basic professional car was the Caprice for a long time. I know they were in huge demand for taxicabs and especially police departments, due to their handling and acceleration compared to most other models.

The "modern" ones were made from 1991-'96 (pretty much the Nineties!), then went out of production. I know they still were in use for so long afterwards, but it occured to me I haven't seen one in awhile. I wonder if they finally auctioned them all off and they're repainted civillian cars now? It would make sense with their age. Plus, with all the cops have to do in them, like jumping curbs and chases, they've got lots of wear now. ;D It seems like Crown Victorias have replaced them.

Maybe the older ones could be hanging on in smaller towns or rural areas.

Subject: Re: Have you noticed any "professional" Chevy Caprices still on the road?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/28/07 at 5:44 am

I used to have a Caprice, it was good car.  I spot them every once in a while, some people are into fixing them up real nice.

Subject: Re: Have you noticed any "professional" Chevy Caprices still on the road?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/07 at 5:53 am

^Yeah, it does seem like a cool car - sporty but useful and roomy. Have they sorta become collectors' items?

For all we know, the "regular" ones could be ex-taxis or police cars (I think some were holding on in the early '00s, but I bet they're retired now). ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/28/07 at 6:47 am

^Yeah, it does seem like a cool car - sporty but useful and roomy. Have they sorta become collectors' items?

For all we know, the "regular" ones could be ex-taxis or police cars (I think some were holding on in the early '00s, but I bet they're retired now). ;)

The cabs and/or police cars would have been beat up-though the police cars would probably been in better condition than the cabs.  Around here(Massachusetts) the police car of choice is the Ford Crown Victoria, another real nice car.  I had a Crown Vic wagon that I inherited from Sigs brother and together we put over 250,000 miles on it before retiring it. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/28/07 at 7:56 am

I haven't seen a Caprice taxi or cop car for a long time.

But just down the road from where I work, somebody has a pimped-out Caprice with 23" rims.  Looks way cool.  8)

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/30/07 at 3:59 pm

Funny you ask, they are still around, a lot of them. They run forever, not always very well, but they do run. How many times have you seen one, missing body panels, squeaking, rattling, 'crabbing' down the street, smoking and in general being a "bucket".
Its the old adage about GM cars, "GM cars run longer, broken, then most cars run "fixed"" So true.

If you think about it, these cars were pretty much designed back in the 60's, no real new technology in them, no fancy twincam, multi valve stuff, thats why they run so long, simple, tried and true, bulletproof Chevy V-8/6's, rear drive, pretty much the same RWD-V8 car GM built for your Dad from 1968- on. Easy to fix and parts abound. If it breaks, thats o.k, it'll still run. Cop and hacks love 'em.

Mostly you'll find wannabees buying them up and fixing them up SS Impala style, big rims and shiny paint. Only a few have done it right and found a 5.7 TPI Corvette motor to drop in it!

BTW, big secret, most of the heads of design at GM HATED the design of the 89-on Caprices. There were fights in the design committees on the design. They were the ugly duckling of the GM line for a while...(yes I know the Impalas SS were an exception).

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/07 at 9:25 pm

Funny you ask, they are still around, a lot of them. They run forever, not always very well, but they do run. How many times have you seen one, missing body panels, squeaking, rattling, 'crabbing' down the street, smoking and in general being a "bucket".
Its the old adage about GM cars, "GM cars run longer, broken, then most cars run "fixed"" So true.

If you think about it, these cars were pretty much designed back in the 60's, no real new technology in them, no fancy twincam, multi valve stuff, thats why they run so long, simple, tried and true, bulletproof Chevy V-8/6's, rear drive, pretty much the same RWD-V8 car GM built for your Dad from 1968- on. Easy to fix and parts abound. If it breaks, thats o.k, it'll still run. Cop and hacks love 'em.

Mostly you'll find wannabees buying them up and fixing them up SS Impala style, big rims and shiny paint. Only a few have done it right and found a 5.7 TPI Corvette motor to drop in it!

BTW, big secret, most of the heads of design at GM HATED the design of the 89-on Caprices. There were fights in the design committees on the design. They were the ugly duckling of the GM line for a while...(yes I know the Impalas SS were an exception).

Funny, but that makes sense about how they run. ;)

Yeah, they do seem quite old-school, in a good way. Aren't most of them front-end loaded, though? I bet the ex-cruisers are especially a collectors' item for enthusiasts (while they take off all the sirens and markings, the engine is still the same).

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/01/07 at 2:09 am

Funny, but that makes sense about how they run. ;)

Yeah, they do seem quite old-school, in a good way. Aren't most of them front-end loaded, though? I bet the ex-cruisers are especially a collectors' item for enthusiasts (while they take off all the sirens and markings, the engine is still the same).

You're kidding right?
Have you noticed, no matter how recent a movie is, if there is a cop/car chase there is/are a early to mid 90's Chevy Caprice in it?
These cars are a stuntmans dream, big American V-8, lots of torque, nose heavy and tossable. Anyone who knows how to drive or has learned how to REALLY drive will pick one of these cars, they are predictable and the ultimate example of vehicle dynamics. You just are not going to learn serious driving skills in a front drive sedan (with a few exceptions).

Think about it, whenever you see a Hollywood car or police chase there is a number of Chevy's spinning out, tail-happy power slides through intersections, j-turns...no matter how recent the film may have been released.

Just how is it that there are 20 '92 Chevy Caprice Police Cruisers chasing some bad guy circa 2007?  ::)
These cars would've been retired from the force to the auction house years ago...Directors love these cars, they are plentiful, and they look great for the camera, and for stuntdrivers they are what is left of American RWD V-8 powered cars that you can pull off those wild Hollywood driving stunts over and over.

Thanks to the A-Team, CHiP's, Knight Rider, Hunter, the Dukes of Hazzard and other car chasing/crashing shows, most of the old Mopar Furys, Diplomats and Monocos are RIP, so the Caprice and the Crown Vic's of the world were the last of the breed left to be able to "perform" for the camera.
But hey, there may be a successor yet, Chrysler has a police package for the newer Charger Hemi's...don't want to see one of those in my rear view!

Check for new replies or respond here...