inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Earthquake hits South East England (UK)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/07 at 6:36 am

An earthquake with a magnitude of at least 4.3 has shaken parts of Kent, damaging buildings and disrupting electricity supplies.

Emergency services have received reports of structural damage including cracked walls and fallen chimneys in Folkestone and nearby areas.

Subject: Re: Earthquake hits South East England (UK)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/28/07 at 7:53 am

An earthquake with a magnitude of at least 4.3 has shaken parts of Kent, damaging buildings and disrupting electricity supplies.

Emergency services have received reports of structural damage including cracked walls and fallen chimneys in Folkestone and nearby areas.

Is there any tsunami risk? ???

Written By: danootaandme on 04/28/07 at 8:41 am

No sh*t, WOW.  I know someone who lives in Kent who was in the earthquake in Mexico City in 1985.  Bet he is a bit rattled.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/07 at 8:59 am

None whatsoever the experts say.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/28/07 at 12:13 pm

I hope all our friends across the pond are ok.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/07 at 12:53 pm

I hope all our friends across the pond are ok.

Cat
Reports are that there was only on true injury and that was a lady with head or neck injuries.

Written By: La Roche on 04/28/07 at 2:01 pm

It's interesting how much more seismic activity there is there now. Dudley is suposedly becoming a real earthquake hot spot, I wasn't aware of any reasonable sized faults down south.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/07 at 2:11 pm

It's interesting how much more seismic activity there is there now. Dudley is suposedly becoming a real earthquake hot spot, I wasn't aware of any reasonable sized faults down south.
Kent has had its history of earthquakes, but the last one was around 1776

Written By: La Roche on 04/28/07 at 2:17 pm

Kent has had its history of earthquakes, but the last one was around 1776

That would have been the force of Parliaments uproar over the signing of the decleration of independance.

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/07 at 3:32 pm

I hope everyone who was in the earthquake is ok :)

Written By: Marian on 04/28/07 at 3:39 pm

That would have been the force of Parliaments uproar over the signing of the decleration of independance.
;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :DLOL

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/07 at 6:03 pm

Nah, just a lot of tea spillage.  Cor blimey!

Written By: Stompgal on 04/29/07 at 12:02 pm

Right now I should be thinking of my penfriend, my cousin and her boyfriend. They all live in Kent; my penfriend in Sittingbourne and my cousin and her boyfriend in Rochdale. If they've all experienced the earth tremour, then I feel for them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/07 at 12:36 pm

Right now I should be thinking of my penfriend, my cousin and her boyfriend. They all live in Kent; my penfriend in Sittingbourne and my cousin and her boyfriend in Rochdale. If they've all experienced the earth tremour, then I feel for them.
Your friends in Sittingbourne had felt the tremors, bearing in mind that Folkestone is around 30 miles away.

Written By: Paul on 04/29/07 at 12:45 pm

That was probably caused by me when I fell out of bed Saturday morning...sorry all!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/29/07 at 12:48 pm

That was probably caused by me when I fell out of bed Saturday morning...sorry all!

Oh, you are so silly!  ;D ;)

Written By: Gis on 04/29/07 at 3:15 pm

Do you mean Rochester? (Rochdale is in Yorkshire) My sister is in Ramsgate and the in laws in Margate, we have a lot of friends in the area too.

Nice one Paul.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/07 at 1:12 am

List of previous earthquakes in the UK

December 2006 - Dumfries and Galloway (magnitude 3.5)
September 2002 - Dudley, West Midlands (5.0)
October 2001 - Melton Mowbray (4.1)
September 2000 - Warwick (4.2)
April 1990 - Bishop's Castle, Shropshire (5.1)
July 1984 - Nefyn, north Wales (5.4)
June 1931 - in North Sea near Great Yarmouth (6.1)

Written By: karen on 04/30/07 at 3:30 am

October 2001 - Melton Mowbray (4.1)

Not too far away from me this one.  It happened on a weekend afternoon.  I was with my daughter at her friends party and we didn't notice anything (with a houseful of three year olds who was going to?!)  My husband was at home decorating what was to become our son's bedroom and he thought a huge lorry had crashed outside

Written By: La Roche on 04/30/07 at 7:59 am

September 2002 - Dudley, West Midlands (5.0)

I remember that. It shook a lamp of a shelf in my bedroom.

Written By: karen on 04/30/07 at 9:08 am

I remember that. It shook a lamp of a shelf in my bedroom.

Was that the one during the night?  I remember my husband getting up to go to the loo and as he got back towards the bed I had the distinct sensation that he was rocking the bed before he climbed in.

Written By: Marian on 05/01/07 at 2:24 pm

Was that the one during the night?  I remember my husband getting up to go to the loo and as he got back towards the bed I had the distinct sensation that he was rocking the bed before he climbed in.
LOL

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/05/07 at 6:03 am

List of previous earthquakes in the UK

April 1990 - Bishop's Castle, Shropshire (5.1)

Thats the one I remember. I kept saying to people "theres a quake, I can feel it in my stomach". (I have lived in so many earthquake areas and mum and I both feel thim in our stomach). And people kept saying "dont be stupid - we dont get earthquakes in the UK". Later when I saw it on the news I was vindicated!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/07 at 12:59 am

T-shirts bearing the slogan "I survived the Folkestone quake" are being sold in the Kent town to raise money for the Salvation Army.

Check for new replies or respond here...