inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the band Rooney '80s influenced?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/07/07 at 9:28 pm

People talked about them alot in 2003. Although I liked what the reviewers tended to say (mostly praise, although some said they were generic too), I didn't end up actually getting the CD until today. While I heard there was an '80s feel to their music, it's way more than I assumed - although that's a good thing! ;)

"Simply Because" sounds like The Cure or The Cars would if they were '00s indie rockers.

Subject: Re: Is the band Rooney '80s influenced?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/07/07 at 9:29 pm

People talked about them alot in 2003. Although I liked what the reviewers tended to say (mostly praise, although some said they were generic too), I didn't end up actually getting the CD until today. While I heard there was an '80s feel to their music, it's way more than I assumed - although that's a good thing! ;)

"Simply Because" sounds like The Cure or The Cars would if they were '00s indie rockers.

wow...you happened to stumble upon one of my favorite bands of today...seriously...I LOVE them. If you like them...then you will most definitely like the band: Jet, and also the band: McFly (hahaha..and it's not even because of the name either ;)).

Written By: whistledog on 05/07/07 at 9:30 pm

McFly (hahaha..and it's not even because of the name either ;)).

McFly are awesome!  I love their song 'Five Colours in Her Hair' 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/07/07 at 9:50 pm

^The band McFly has (not surpringly) been discussed on the BTTF boards. I think they're more popular in the UK, but Europe tends to have superior tastes, so I'm sure that's a good thing. I do believe their name was inspired by the movies too. ;)

P.S. I find it interesting that Rooney's psuedo '80ish sound predates bands like The Killers, which popularized it just about as 2004 was turning into 2005. Perhaps they'd be even more successful if that album came out now.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/07/07 at 10:00 pm

^The band McFly has (not surpringly) been discussed on the BTTF boards. I think they're more popular in the UK, but Europe tends to have superior tastes, so I'm sure that's a good thing. I do believe their name was inspired by the movies too. ;)

P.S. I find it interesting that Rooney's psuedo '80ish sound predates bands like The Killers, which popularized it just about as 2004 was turning into 2005. Perhaps they'd be even more successful if that album came out now.

ya, you really don't hear that much about Rooney....huh? It's a shame..they are really good. Here's a little fact about the band. The lead singer (Robert Schwartzman) was in the movie, "The Princess Diaries"...he played the brother of the girl that was best friends with Mia (Anne Hathaway)...and was also Mia's love interest in the movie.

Written By: whistledog on 05/07/07 at 10:58 pm

Yeah, McFly are immensely popular in the UK with 6 number one hits, and a bunch more Top 10s.  Despite an appearance in the film 'Just My Luck', they haven't really broken the big time in North America yet, and I sadly doubt they will :\'(

As for Rooney, they do have an 80s sort of feel to them

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/08/07 at 4:39 pm

I bought the Rooney CD around 2003-04, and I liked most of what I heard, although, funny thing is - I hardly play it, lol. I think my favorite song was "Blueside"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/08/07 at 6:23 pm

All "indie-rock" bands are '80s influenced.

Rooney is a good band, they just need a better name.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/09/07 at 9:41 pm

^ True, the underground scene doesn't bow to the mainstream, so it doesn't change as much as the mainstreamized sound. I'm sure an indie '80s band wouldn't sound that different to an indie '00s band! ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 09/03/07 at 4:25 am

Rooney has a catchy new song out, check it out here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0qoL-9jGaZc

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 9:02 am

I freakin' LOVE this band. They are not given enough credit for how good their music is. I think everyone needs to listen to their music, it's really really good. I hope to see them in concert someday...I think it would be a great show.

Check for new replies or respond here...