inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eurovision Song Contest 2007

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/07 at 6:06 am

Germany has been tipped to win this year's Eurovision Song Contest in Helsinki by a BBC panel.

The British entry Scooch with the song Flying The Flag is absolute trite.

The semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest takes place on 10 May and will be screened on BBC Three at 2000 BST. The grand final, on 12 May, will be shown on BBC One from 2000 BST.

Subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2007

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/07 at 6:30 am

That Scooch song isn't too bad.  I was a BIG fan of their song 'More Than I Needed to Know' so much that I bought their CD 'Four Sure' back when it was out

Written By: Gis on 05/10/07 at 6:39 am

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH  I am away this weekend which means I will miss it. I was actually quite annoyed when I realised I do love to watch it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/07 at 6:50 am

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH  I am away this weekend which means I will miss it. I was actually quite annoyed when I realised I do love to watch it.
You can always record it.

Written By: Paul on 05/10/07 at 6:55 am

I managed to hear and see this last weekend...

...and couldn't quite believe what I was hearing and seeing!

IMHO, this song will either die on its backside, or end up winning...it's that polarising!

Still, I think Sir Terence will like it!

The semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest takes place on 10 May and will be screened on BBC Three at 2000 BST. The grand final, on 12 May, will be shown on BBC One from 2000 BST.

I'll be out by the time the contest gets going, but, such are the sheer numbers of countries involved, it'll probably still be in full swing at 3am!

Written By: karen on 05/10/07 at 7:03 am

I used to like watching the show but just recently I've found Sir Terry's disdain for it too much.  It's alright to mention some of the cheesiness of it all but he goes OTT IMHO

Written By: Henk on 05/10/07 at 11:53 am

Germany has been tipped to win this year's Eurovision Song Contest in Helsinki by a BBC panel.

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing either one. In fact, I haven't heard any of this years entries, apart from ours of course.

The semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest takes place on 10 May and will be screened on BBC Three at 2000 BST.

Or 21.00 CET. One of the countries partaking are The Netherlands. I don't think we'll stand a chance, but hey - it's Eurovision! :D Please keep your fingers crossed for us...

Written By: Henk on 05/10/07 at 4:44 pm

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing either one. In fact, I haven't heard any of this years entries, apart from ours of course.

Or 21.00 CET. One of the countries partaking are The Netherlands. I don't think we'll stand a chance, but hey - it's Eurovision! :D Please keep your fingers crossed for us...

It's all over, and we didn't make it (as was to be expected...). :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/07 at 12:36 am

...but will you still be watching on Saturday?

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 05/11/07 at 3:31 am

I will be watching via the Internet again since no television station here carries it. :(

Although, Karen, if you do like the contest and want to watch it without the commentary, you could consider streaming it via the Internet. It's probably more hassle than it's worth for people who do have television options, though.

Written By: karen on 05/11/07 at 6:58 am

One of the groups tipped for the top was voted out in the semi-finals

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6645561.stm

Written By: karen on 05/11/07 at 7:02 am

This report made it sound like your entrant did a good job

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6645411.stm

I also liked this bit in the report

""I come from a theatrical background so for me the more theatrical and camp acts were the ones I liked," said singer David Ducasse, who was decked out in a lurid pink air steward costume."

no sheesh, Sherlock!

Written By: Henk on 05/11/07 at 12:59 pm

You bet! Wouldn't wanna miss it for the world.

This report made it sound like your entrant did a good job

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6645411.stm

Edsilia did just fine (as was to be expected...), but sadly that ain't enough anymore. You gotta have friends (preferrably in Eastern Europe and/or the Balkan states) and/or a VERY "outstanding" performance (like Lordi in 2006).

We have neither the friends nor the guts.

I also liked this bit in the report

""I come from a theatrical background so for me the more theatrical and camp acts were the ones I liked," said singer David Ducasse, who was decked out in a lurid pink air steward costume."

no sheesh, Sherlock!

I'm looking forward to Saturday night... 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/07 at 3:01 pm

After 13 songs, Sweden is the best so far.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/07 at 4:01 pm

For pure Eurovision cheese Ukraine will win.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 05/12/07 at 5:22 pm

For pure Eurovision cheese Ukraine will win.

I was afraid of that, too, but I'm glad Serbia managed to beat them out. It was bad enough seeing Lordi take it last year...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/07 at 5:23 pm

I was afraid of that, too, but I'm glad Serbia managed to beat them out. It was bad enough seeing Lordi take it last year...
Too true, at least it was the song that won it this year.

Written By: Henk on 05/12/07 at 5:32 pm

I can live with Serbia winning - it's a great song.

Ukraine coming in second...what can I say? I wish WE would've had the guts to send something like that. (Of course, it would've been a complete farce had they won).

Ireland in last place: no wonder if you keep missing your notes.
UK last but one: well, at least you were there. :P And twelve consolation points from Malta...

Germany, France and Spain ended up in the bottom ten too. Which brings up the question: is it still worth it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/07 at 5:42 pm

I can live with Serbia winning - it's a great song.

Ukraine coming in second...what can I say? I wish WE would've had the guts to send something like that. (Of course, it would've been a complete farce had they won).

Ireland in last place: no wonder if you keep missing your notes.
UK last but one: well, at least you were there. :P And twelve consolation points from Malta...

Germany, France and Spain ended up in the bottom ten too. Which brings up the question: is it still worth it?
Western European countries suffered this year, the Eastern Block seemed to rule again.

Written By: Henk on 05/13/07 at 1:20 am

Western European countries suffered this year, the Eastern Block seemed to rule again.

I can easily imagine BBC withdrawing from competition, given the recent results, and perhaps Germany, France and Spain might also want to reconsider. Then what? :-\\

Personally, I don't think Western Europe should quit competition. There's a saying: if you can't beat them, join them. In other words: next year, send something that you know they'll like in Eastern Europe/Balkan states. Fight them with their own weapons.

Needless to say this goes for The Netherlands too. We've been somewhat wide of the mark in recent years... ::)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 05/13/07 at 2:27 am

I can easily imagine BBC withdrawing from competition, given the recent results, and perhaps Germany, France and Spain might also want to reconsider. Then what? :-\\

Personally, I don't think Western Europe should quit competition. There's a saying: if you can't beat them, join them. In other words: next year, send something that you know they'll like in Eastern Europe/Balkan states. Fight them with their own weapons.

Needless to say this goes for The Netherlands too. We've been somewhat wide of the mark in recent years... ::)

I think a lot of the problem is that the only submissions that can still consistently get votes from everyone are the novelty ones. Wetern Europe submitting real songs basically means they're pre-eliminated from the running. I was shocked that Ireland snuck into the top ten last year (and, similarly, that the UK didn't award them a single point this year - yikes!).

I think Germany have submitted some very good entries that stand out the past few years. Texas Lightning's song from last year stills ranks at or at least near the top of songs submitted to Eurovision in recent years for me. I think this year France, for the first time in a while, stopped being self-indulgent and also attempted something with more mass appeal. I think Spain almost always has an interesting selection with an entertaining performance. I think the UK... well, I don't know why to say about Scooch (it's not that I even dislike them, but really, this is the Eurovision entry?), but Daz Sampson did a respectable job.

Anyway, barring a change in the voting, I'm not sure Western Europe will have much of a chance again any time soon. Still, the competition is entertaining despite the voting being somewhat fixed.

And just as a note, I don't mean to sound as if none of the Eastern European countries ever submit enjoyable entries - as I said before, I can respect the Serbian win, and furthermore, there are always entries from them that I enjoy. I was just giving my amateur analysis of the voting biases.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/07 at 7:53 am

Like the Cheeky Girls or Tatu?

Written By: Henk on 05/13/07 at 9:59 am

I think a lot of the problem is that the only submissions that can still consistently get votes from everyone are the novelty ones. Wetern Europe submitting real songs basically means they're pre-eliminated from the running. I was shocked that Ireland snuck into the top ten last year (and, similarly, that the UK didn't award them a single point this year - yikes!).

You're not alone in this. If it had been up to me, it wouldn't have been an entry at all.

Same goes for this years' entry. I wasn't surprised it ended up in last place.

I think Germany have submitted some very good entries that stand out the past few years. Texas Lightning's song from last year stills ranks at or at least near the top of songs submitted to Eurovision in recent years for me.

For a moment I thought you were gonna refer to Guildo Horn ("Guildo Hat Euch Lieb' ") and Stefan Raab ("Wadde Hadde Dudde Da")... Both songs were...eye-catching. ::)
I didn't care much for Texas Lightning.

I think this year France, for the first time in a while, stopped being self-indulgent and also attempted something with more mass appeal. I think Spain almost always has an interesting selection with an entertaining performance. I think the UK... well, I don't know why to say about Scooch (it's not that I even dislike them, but really, this is the Eurovision entry?), but Daz Sampson did a respectable job.

France tried, but failed miserably.
Spain is just being Spain. No surprises.
UK...shouldn't take things so seriously. If you decide to send an act like Scooch, make it as camp as humanly possible. Go ahead, make a complete fool of yourself...you might end up in 2nd place.

Anyway, barring a change in the voting, I'm not sure Western Europe will have much of a chance again any time soon. Still, the competition is entertaining despite the voting being somewhat fixed.

Agreed.

And just as a note, I don't mean to sound as if none of the Eastern European countries ever submit enjoyable entries - as I said before, I can respect the Serbian win, and furthermore, there are always entries from them that I enjoy. I was just giving my amateur analysis of the voting biases.

No argument here. The Serbian entry was one of the best songs in competition, and a rightful winner.
And if we (Western Europe) want to stand a chance we will have to go for the "Balkan approach" next year.

Written By: Henk on 05/26/07 at 4:14 am

Earlier today I printed out the results of both the semi-final and the final (complete score sheets).

Nobody's asking, but we (The Netherlands) scored 38 points in the semi, and ended up in 21st place.
Points were awarded to us by Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Hungary, Israel, Malta, Norway, Portugal and Sweden. Interestingly, all of these countries (with the exception of Hungary) were (also) eliminated in the semi-final...

Check for new replies or respond here...