inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What city/state/region/country will be the landmark for late 00s US music?

Written By: tv on 05/16/07 at 11:02 am

There is always a city that  highlights a specific trend for different periods of music. For example in the early to mid 80's it was Minneapolis sound with Prince and Shelia E. In the early to mid 90's it was Seattle with grunge brands coming out of the city such as Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam. In the late 90's it was Orlando, Florida and  Phildadelphia I think that were the dominant musical cities at the time for music because Orlando or the state of Florida as a whole for that matter had The Backstreet Boys come out of the state as well as the Post Grunge brand Creed. Neo-Soul which as kinda popular in the early 00's Philadephia was the main city that artists come out of to make that trend of Neo-Soul happen. For 03-05 I think Atlanta or Georgia as a whole was the dominant city or State musically of 2003-2005 because of the whoile "Crunk" element used in hip-hop music during that time period. I also think New York and Los Angeles were the dominant cities for hip-hop from 1989-1998 because thats were Tupac, Snoop Dog and NWA came out of was Los Angeles or California as a whole and also for New York you had Public Enemy, Puff Daddy( love him or hate him he was freakin huge in 1998), Jay-Z and Notorious BIG. I think from 1999-2001 New Orleans was the main City that dominated hip-hop because the Cash Money Millionares or the southern region were big in 1999 remember that song "Back That Thang Up" which was in 1999.

So what will be the dominant city, state in the US, or country musically that will doimate the 00's in the US(07-09?)

So anybody have an opinion on what will be the dominant musical city, state, or country that late 00's music will originate from?

Subject: Re: What city/state/region/country will be the landmark for late 00s US music?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/16/07 at 12:13 pm

ooooh, I don't know.  How about Rumford, Maine

Subject: Re: What city/state/region/country will be the landmark for late 00s US music?

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/16/07 at 2:44 pm

Hmm, I think its important to note the effect of the home computer and therefore the home music studio as a influence (in regards to location).

I.E., the landmark location is your home PC or home PC sound studio.

The power of the PC is the main thing.

If you look at a lot of artists nowadays, a lot of them are mixing down in their homes. A decent PC can pretty much make a professional sounding tune by the average joe.

A lot of the past influence of a particular city fora certain "sound" is probably no longer as important as it once was.
We have hassidic Jew singing reggae in NYC, and Korean hip-hop artists in southern Cali, recorded all over the world and mixed down wherever...no particular studio or record label location/producer dominating the sound.

The past locations dominance, (80's Prince-Minieapolis, early 90's Grunge-Seattle) were due to the studios or local labels prominace (IE, Paisley Park Studios, Sub-Pop) thats not the case anymore...any guy can run his own label and studio out of his basement with a Cakewalk music program and MIDI.

Trent Razor (NIN), Moby, Madonna and many others have been doing this for years.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/16/07 at 6:51 pm

Probably Atlanta and all those other southern cities those rappers come from now.

Written By: whistledog on 05/16/07 at 8:07 pm

I would say Atlanta also.  That ATL movie was quite popular

Written By: La Roche on 05/16/07 at 8:25 pm

Festus; Missouri. Representin dirty Fester!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/17/07 at 1:48 am

That's true about every period being geographically-dominated. Chicago, Miami and L.A. were '80s music locations (also, Chicago is where every John Hughes movie took place, lol). New York and L.A. for rap, and of course Seattle for grunge, were '90s cities. I might put Detroit in too, since Kid Rock was from there, as well as Madonna (who was in a comeback period then).

You're probably right about Atlanta defining the early '00s with Crunk. Not sure whre the next wave will be, though.

Written By: tv on 05/17/07 at 1:10 pm

That's true about every period being geographically-dominated. Chicago, Miami and L.A. were '80s music locations (also, Chicago is where every John Hughes movie took place, lol). New York and L.A. for rap, and of course Seattle for grunge, were '90s cities. I might put Detroit in too, since Kid Rock was from there, as well as Madonna (who was in a comeback period then).

Oh yeah I forgot about Miami with the whole mid to late 80's freestyle/dance music trend. New York I think was also another city that was responsible for the whole 80's freestyle/dance trend getting big as well.

Written By: tv on 05/17/07 at 1:16 pm

I'm surprised posters like "Brian" and "Whistledog" said Altanta will in other words continue to be the landmark city for music in the late 00's since Atlanta was the landmark city in a musical sense that was respnsible for the whole "crunk" trend circa 2003-2005.

Oh yeah wasn't the state of Lousiana a landmark musically with the whole the "snap-rap trend" in late 2005/early 2006 with DL4 and "Dem Franchise Boyz"?

Written By: Brian06 on 05/17/07 at 5:25 pm

I'm surprised posters like "Brian" and "Whistledog" said Altanta will in other words continue to be the landmark city for music in the late 00's since Atlanta was the landmark city in a musical sense that was respnsible for the whole "crunk" trend circa 2003-2005.

Oh yeah wasn't the state of Lousiana a landmark musically with the whole the "snap-rap trend" in late 2005/early 2006 with DL4 and "Dem Franchise Boyz"?

D4L and DFB are from Atlanta.

T.I. is from Atlanta, he's still popular. Joc is still popular, from Atlanta (well he's on T-Pain's hit song now), Unk is from Atlanta, Crime Mob is another newer group that you guessed it is from Atlanta, Lloyd is from Atlanta too along with Ciara. Atl still owns the hip-hop scene very easily.

Written By: Haynsoul on 05/18/07 at 8:59 am

Bay Area music (Hyphy) from California could get popular in the next couple of years. I'm not too much of a fan of hyphy music(and I HATE hip hop from ATL btw) but it could be possible since a lot of people I know are starting to talk about it.

Written By: tv on 05/18/07 at 12:01 pm

Bay Area music (Hyphy) from California could get popular in the next couple of years. I'm not too much of a fan of hyphy music(and I HATE hip hop from ATL btw) but it could be possible since a lot of people I know are starting to talk about it.
Isn;t "Hyphe" like rap like rap artists such as E-40 and Rick Ross? I think E-40 I could either take or leave his music but Rick Ross I don;t care for him at all.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/18/07 at 2:14 pm

Good question.

Written By: Haynsoul on 05/18/07 at 11:13 pm

Isn;t "Hyphe" like rap like rap artists such as E-40 and Rick Ross? I think E-40 I could either take or leave his music but Rick Ross I don;t care for him at all.

I don't know too much about hyphy so I'll lead you to the almighty Wikipedia.  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphy

Btw Rick Ross is from Miami so he's definitely not a hyphy artist.

Written By: jinxmap on 06/01/07 at 8:38 am

I think London is the landmark for early naughties music, actually... Madonna, Gwen Stefani, Fergie, and other US music figures living or moving there...

Don't leave out Athens, Georgia for late eighties REM and B-52s... wildly popular...

Also, if we're talking trends, Russia is zooming now, since they have legalised $.09 downloads of music from all countries. At least to my music collection anyway!

US-born, UK-bred...
xJamesey

Written By: tv on 06/01/07 at 5:36 pm

I think London is the landmark for early naughties music, actually... Madonna, Gwen Stefani, Fergie, and other US music figures living or moving there...

What the heck is the "early naughties"?

Written By: Brian06 on 06/01/07 at 6:21 pm

What the heck is the "early naughties"?

Naughties is a way to pronounce "'00s". Naught = zero.

Check for new replies or respond here...