inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gasoline

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/19/07 at 12:24 pm

Gasoline

Subject: Re: How have Gas Prices Changed your Life?

Written By: snozberries on 05/19/07 at 3:10 pm

Well since the price of gas continues to ratchet up each year, more and more people's routines and lifestyles we be effected. So the question is, has the price of gas made an impact in your life?

---------

For me I've done something I haven't done in about 15 years, and that is to buy a bike. Fortunatly I only live a couple miles from work and downtown. Yes I have a car, but I hope that by using a bike I can gain a little independance from the oil companies and maybe get a bit healthier in the process. 

How much did that cost? Good bikes are frickin' expensive.... as I have mentioned in the other gas thread.... the gas prices are ruining my credit.  I make just enough money to pay rent, car insurance, food, other bills and then when it was gas you know like 2.69 or even 2.89 but now I can't keep up. I live 17 miles from work and work 14 hour shifts so biking is not gonna happen.

Also I am a prisoner of my apartment on my days off. I don't go anywhere 3 days a week because I have to save my precious fuel for work. 

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/19/07 at 3:36 pm

I live in Oklahoma and gas is up to $3.29 here.  I just got my degree in special education and so pretty much every school district wants me.  There were a few job openings available where I live now, including one in a school I'd done field experience at and loved it there.  It would be the ideal place to teach except my fiance is transferring to OU so I really had to consider location.  The way gas prices are moving, there's no way either of us should be driving 45 minutes back and forth each day.  I accepted a job at a school much closer to where we're going to live and it's not near as nice and clean as the schools in the other district but I think I'll enjoy it.

Written By: Tia on 05/19/07 at 6:23 pm

i'm definitely starting to feel it, although i'm lucky in that i can use public transportation very easily here. not true in most parts of america.

although public transportation is also phenomenally expensive.

anyway, ask george will. he'll assure you gas prices aren't actually high, it's all your imagination. ;D

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/19/07 at 9:59 pm

i'm definitely starting to feel it, although i'm lucky in that i can use public transportation very easily here. not true in most parts of america.

although public transportation is also phenomenally expensive.

Very true, I live in southern California (Long Beach/Buena Park) and work in Irvine, about 25 miles each way.

Driving is a nightmare (as it is in any part of California), taking 45min-1 1/2 hour each way depending on traffic, but public transportation is just barley better.
Taking the train (Metrolink) and bus (OCTA) costs about $11 a day combined, and driving would cost about $7 (gas @ 3.59 per gal here) so, I'm really at quandary as the cost of public transportation doesn't really show any time or cost benefit, it takes just as long on the train/bus as the car and costs more too, so why shouldn't I drive? :-\\
Our local, state and federal governments are going to have to do a lot more to make public transportation a viable, affordable choice, as for now the price of gas will continue to soar before most of us drivers will see a cost or time benefit, much less the goal of lessing energy consumption and greenhouse gasses...

Written By: jackas on 05/21/07 at 1:14 am

Nothing has really changed for me...except I get to listen to my husband go on and on and on and on and on about gas prices.  I'm not sure what all his complaining is accomplishing except making me nuts.  Perhaps that was his plan.....?? :D

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/07 at 2:06 am

I don't have a car, so I usually just crive my mother's car, and gas has gotten so expensive, I can never afford to fill up the tank.  I'm looking into getting a gas card, that will save me the tax when I buy gas up on the native reserve, but dang, so many forms to fill out lol

I hate filling out forms :(

Written By: karen on 05/21/07 at 8:04 am

Also I am a prisoner of my apartment on my days off. I don't go anywhere 3 days a week because I have to save my precious fuel for work. 

Would a bike help on those days?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/21/07 at 11:20 am

I wish I lived close enough to work to ride a bike....but it's just too dangerous too (I would have to cross some very busy roads, etc).  It would be cool to live close enough to do that, and yes, that would be great exercise.  It's getting very frustrating with the constant rise in gas prices.  We try to conserve and not drive around so often, and such...but it's hard whenever you live out in the country area, and everything is pretty far away.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/07 at 6:45 pm

Higher gas prices haven't changed my life.  They've just made me spend more money.
And that's the master plan of the big boss man!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/madgo.gif

Written By: Brian06 on 05/22/07 at 1:14 am

I'm glad I got a car that's good on gas.

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 05/22/07 at 2:30 am

:-X

Written By: Dave79 on 05/22/07 at 6:17 am

I live in Oklahoma and gas is up to $3.29 here.  I just got my degree in special education and so pretty much every school district wants me.  There were a few job openings available where I live now, including one in a school I'd done field experience at and loved it there.  It would be the ideal place to teach except my fiance is transferring to OU so I really had to consider location.  The way gas prices are moving, there's no way either of us should be driving 45 minutes back and forth each day.  I accepted a job at a school much closer to where we're going to live and it's not near as nice and clean as the schools in the other district but I think I'll enjoy it.

Thats not much cheaper than in my part of the state we are around $3.35. Its killer so Ive cut down driving when I don't need to as much as I hate to do that.

--
Dave.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/22/07 at 9:17 am

This weekend I quit my second job because of the higher gas prices.

For the last several months, I have been working in the evening for Domino's.  The money is not that great, and to be honest the tips suck.  Believe it or not, less then half of the people I deliver to even tip at all.  And those that do it is rarely more then $1.

Now the resteraunt pays $1.25 per delivery.  When gas was $2 a gallon, that was not to bad.  But once it got close to $3, delivering pizza actually became a loosing proposition.  More and more often now, I am spending more a night in gas then I am making in delivery fees and tips.  On Saturday I made $4.45 (I only worked 2 hours), and spent almost $6 in gas.

Of course, if people would actually tip, it would be allright.  I just can't understand how somebody can order something delivered to their house (especially if they live 10 miles outside of town), and not give a tip.  But they are just going to have to get used to crappy service, because I am not the only one quitting.  3 others have quit in the last 2 weeks, and they are training new drivers now. 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/22/07 at 9:43 am

For the last several months, I have been working in the evening for Domino's.  The money is not that great, and to be honest the tips suck.  Believe it or not, less then half of the people I deliver to even tip at all.  And those that do it is rarely more then $1.

Now the resteraunt pays $1.25 per delivery.  When gas was $2 a gallon, that was not to bad.  But once it got close to $3, delivering pizza actually became a loosing proposition.  More and more often now, I am spending more a night in gas then I am making in delivery fees and tips.  On Saturday I made $4.45 (I only worked 2 hours), and spent almost $6 in gas.

Of course, if people would actually tip, it would be allright.  I just can't understand how somebody can order something delivered to their house (especially if they live 10 miles outside of town), and not give a tip.  But they are just going to have to get used to crappy service, because I am not the only one quitting.  3 others have quit in the last 2 weeks, and they are training new drivers now. 
I always tip when I order pizza (that's the only thing that delivers here) and have increased it (now it's at least $5) since gas prices went up.  I actually saw a Hummer delivering pizzas, talk about a losing proposition ;D

AFA my lifestyle, I haven't really changed much, but I think I'm going to drive my mom's van (since they aren't and I just made a car payment for them) so I can save a little in gas $$.  I've gone through $200 in the past 2 weeks or so and am down around 1/4 tank again.  I've been using a reloadable Wal-Mart gas card so I can save the 3cents/gallon.  Thank goodness hubby doesn't have to pay for his gas (he has a company car) or things would be much worse.  We may even take my mom's van out to our lake house this weekend because we can probably make it there and back on a tank or just a little more....it would be at least 2 tanks in mine :(

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 11:02 am

I'm perfectly happy with gas prices.

After paying about $9 a gallon when I lived in England, $3 is fine.

My place of business is about 7 miles away.. and I drive.

I'm going back to University in the fall and that's about 25 miles each way.. I'll drive.

Even as gas gets more expensive in St. Louis I'll still only be spending $30ish on gas per week.

Compare that to the $120+ that it cost every time I'd fill up my Landrover (yes, maybe not the most fuel efficient vehicle, but it got mid 20's to the gallon) in England.

We're still spoiled folks, it's just the increase has been so fast, it's destroyed budgets.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/22/07 at 3:23 pm

We're still spoiled folks, it's just the increase has been so fast, it's destroyed budgets.

That is so true.  While gas is still rediculously cheap in the US, percentage wise it has jumped dramatically.

And you can't blame the oil companies either.  I place 100% of the blame solely on the shoulders of OPEC and the people who speculate on Crude Oil on the commodities markets.  They are the ones that drive the prices up for everybody else.

And ironically, as I was typing this reply, I got a call from my manager.  It seems that when he told the owner about my turning in my 2 weeks notice, they also got the latest driver efficiency report, which shows me as being the 2nd best driver at the store (I use GPS when plotting my routes, which drives my delivery times down dramatically).  The owner was shocked, since I am also the newest driver at the store (most have 2+ years experience, I have only 3 months).  Because of this, they are offering me an extra $1 per hour if I stay on.  Now I just have to think if it is worth it to me, and what the gas prices are going to do in the future.

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 3:43 pm

That is so true.  While gas is still rediculously cheap in the US, percentage wise it has jumped dramatically.

And you can't blame the oil companies either.  I place 100% of the blame solely on the shoulders of OPEC and the people who speculate on Crude Oil on the commodities markets.  They are the ones that drive the prices up for everybody else.

And ironically, as I was typing this reply, I got a call from my manager.  It seems that when he told the owner about my turning in my 2 weeks notice, they also got the latest driver efficiency report, which shows me as being the 2nd best driver at the store (I use GPS when plotting my routes,which drives my delivery times down dramatically).  The owner was shocked, since I am also the newest driver at the store (most have 2+ years experience, I have only 3 months).  Because of this, they are offering me an extra $1 per hour if I stay on.  Now I just have to think if it is worth it to me, and what the gas prices are going to do in the future.

Congrats on the good work. (GPS beats all!)

You're right about the price increases, OPEC, speculation and the limited supply coming from the gulf recently have all added to the cost of gasoline.

We still pay so little here it's not funny, but yes, as a percentage the increase has been somewhat outlandish. A slow progression would have allowed people to budget around it better.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/22/07 at 4:46 pm

Congrats on the good work. (GPS beats all!)

You're right about the price increases, OPEC, speculation and the limited supply coming from the gulf recently have all added to the cost of gasoline.

We still pay so little here it's not funny, but yes, as a percentage the increase has been somewhat outlandish. A slow progression would have allowed people to budget around it better.

Thanks.  Everybody else at the store is still wondering how I get my deliveries out so fast.  I guess having a good work ethic (I do not stand around BSing for 5 minutes, I put work first) and buying the tools to make my work better pay off.

And I always laugh when people blaim the oil companies for the high price of gas.  Because of US regulations, they are required to base their prices on what crude oil sells for on the open market.  So if crude goes up, they of course make huge profits on the percentage that is produced domestically.  And this has been the case for over 60 years, since the Standard Oil breakup (remember, J. P. Getty was accused of gaining a monopoly by selling gas below cost, something that is now illegal).

And inversely, when crude oil prices are low, the oil companies loose their shirts.  During the 80's and early 90's, we had a lot of oil companies either go bankrupt, or were on the verge of bankruptcy because oil was so cheap they simply could not show a profit.  Exxon, Texaco, Gulf, Phillips, and a lot of other companies were either dissolved or absorbed back when gas was in the 80 cent price range.  The only way to end that cycle is to find a way to end our dependence on foreign oil.  That way we can do like Brazil does, and set our own price, while telling OPEC to go urinate on a braided strand of fiber.

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 5:10 pm

Thanks.  Everybody else at the store is still wondering how I get my deliveries out so fast.  I guess having a good work ethic (I do not stand around BSing for 5 minutes, I put work first) and buying the tools to make my work better pay off.

And I always laugh when people blaim the oil companies for the high price of gas.  Because of US regulations, they are required to base their prices on what crude oil sells for on the open market.  So if crude goes up, they of course make huge profits on the percentage that is produced domestically.  And this has been the case for over 60 years, since the Standard Oil breakup (remember, J. P. Getty was accused of gaining a monopoly by selling gas below cost, something that is now illegal).

And inversely, when crude oil prices are low, the oil companies loose their shirts.  During the 80's and early 90's, we had a lot of oil companies either go bankrupt, or were on the verge of bankruptcy because oil was so cheap they simply could not show a profit.  Exxon, Texaco, Gulf, Phillips, and a lot of other companies were either dissolved or absorbed back when gas was in the 80 cent price range.  The only way to end that cycle is to find a way to end our dependence on foreign oil.  That way we can do like Brazil does, and set our own price, while telling OPEC to go urinate on a braided strand of fiber.

All the more reason to open the Alaskan oil fields and push for more ethanol development.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/23/07 at 10:06 am

All the more reason to open the Alaskan oil fields and push for more ethanol development.

Actually, I would like to see something done to curb in the useage first.

I would love to see some kind of tax on SUVs, and every non-commercially used vehicle that gets poor gas mileage.  Now I have no problem with a farmer or contractor that uses his SUV for legitimate work.  But it always ticks me off when I see some "SUV Mom" driving around in a 2007 Gigantomobile, simply because it makes her feel "safer".  And of course these are oten the people that complain the loudest about high gas prices.

And the $3 a gallon hike we had 2 years ago did nothing to slow this countries hunger for wastefull and inefficient vehicles.  And it is the large number of such vehicles that is putting a strain on the refining and distribution systems.

I seriously think I am going to "Blow Chunks" the next time I see a Ford Expedition with Democratic and Greenpeace bumperstickers all over the back of it.  It makes about as much sense as seeing a PETA sticker on the back of a Perdue Chicken truck.  It is not only stupid, it is sick.  And people like that have absolutely no idea why I hold them in utter contempt.

Written By: Tia on 05/23/07 at 10:18 am

^propz

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/23/07 at 10:26 am

I own an SUV, but you wont find me with any kind of stickers on it.  Are they efficient, no not at all.  I comment on the increase of gas prices, but I dont constantly complain about them because I know that it is my own choice why I drive one of these.  I dont drive it cause it makes me feel safer.   

However, if I were forced to pay a tax on the SUV or have to turn to a car with an alternative fuel source, then I guess thats the price I would have to pay for driving this vehicle.  But the change has to come from alot of people. 

Global warming is a concern to me.  Drilling in Alaska is a concern to me.  But, until I stop driving an SUV, I have to keep my mouth shut because that would make me a hypocrit.

Written By: La Roche on 05/23/07 at 11:13 am

I own an SUV, but you wont find me with any kind of stickers on it.  Are they efficient, no not at all.  I comment on the increase of gas prices, but I dont constantly complain about them because I know that it is my own choice why I drive one of these.  I dont drive it cause it makes me feel safer.   

However, if I were forced to pay a tax on the SUV or have to turn to a car with an alternative fuel source, then I guess thats the price I would have to pay for driving this vehicle.  But the change has to come from alot of people. 

Global warming is a concern to me.  Drilling in Alaska is a concern to me.  But, until I stop driving an SUV, I have to keep my mouth shut because that would make me a hypocrit.

Why do you drive one? I mean.. I suppose I can understand if you have a big family or something, needing a spacious vehicle (of course, my mom used to take a bunch of us around in a regular sedan), but with just one of you, what's the need?

Written By: Mushroom on 05/23/07 at 11:47 am

Why do you drive one? I mean.. I suppose I can understand if you have a big family or something, needing a spacious vehicle (of course, my mom used to take a bunch of us around in a regular sedan), but with just one of you, what's the need?

That is also something I have never understood.  I simply see no reason for the vast majority of SUVs on the street today.  Other then they have become a status symbol.  And people by the millions suck them up, because they are simply "the vehicle you have to have".

In the past few years, I have butted heads with many in here because I make no apologies for being a "Conservative".  However, I take the "Conserve" part very seriously, and simply abhor waste.  At both of my jobs it is something of a joke that if somebody has uneaten food, that if they take it to me I will eat it.  It is not because I am cheap, I simply hate to see something wasted.  Many of my late fiancee's and my friends thought we were odd for useing washable diapers whenever possible.  Once again it was not out of being cheap, it was to prevent waste.  And even today I am more likely to buy items in bulk at Sams Club then I am to buy what most people think of as a "reasonable supply".  Buying in bulk greatly reduces the amount of packaging used, and cuts down on waste.

But for the most part, Americans are wastefull people.  We buy individual cans of soda, and drink them at home where we have glasses available.  We drive gigantic cars, which require twice the fuel and 4 times the resources of a more reasonable car (like a Corola or Civic).  And being conservative can even come with some benefits.  For example, in California a single person on a motorcycle can drive in a Car Pool lane, because it is considered a "High Efficiency Vehicle".  And my bike took 1/10th the raw materials to make, and gets 3-4 times the gas mileage of the gross-polluting SUVs I used to pass in gridlock traffic.

I have long had an idea for cutting gas useage in this country, but I know it will never happen.  Have every state waive all registration fees for "High Efficiency" vehicles for the next 10-20 years.  That means motorcycles, electric and hybred vehicles, hydrogen and fuel cell, methanol, and bio-diesel.  At the same time, make registration fees for all non-commercial vehicles based on a sliding scale, based upon fuel efficiency.  Let those that use the most fuel and resources pay the brunt of the bill.  And it will reward those that are seriously trying to do something about the environment, instead of simply playing lip-service to it, while driving around in their Hummers.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/23/07 at 12:10 pm

There is no practical reason.  Im most likely going to have to sell it anyway.  I was thining of taking motorcycle lessons, but I would just end up getting myself killed.

It makes about as much sense to drive an SUV as it does drilling in the Alaska Wildlife Refuge.

I seriously think I am going to "Blow Chunks" the next time I see a Ford Expedition with Democratic and Greenpeace bumperstickers all over the back of it.

Ive seen SUV's with Bush/Cheney stickers on them as well?  So, they are suppost to be conservative as well.  SUV's are popular among the Mormon moms in Utah and Mormons are very pro Bush.  So, that should make you sick as well, correct? 

Written By: La Roche on 05/23/07 at 12:22 pm

There is no practical reason.  Im most likely going to have to sell it anyway.  I was thining of taking motorcycle lessons, but I would just end up getting myself killed.

It makes about as much sense to drive an SUV as it does drilling in the Alaska Wildlife Refuge.

Ive seen SUV's with Bush/Cheney stickers on them as well?  So, they are suppost to be conservative as well.  SUV's are popular among the Mormon moms in Utah and Mormons are very pro Bush.  So, that should make you sick as well, correct? 

I'll copy and paste my PM to you.

Hey, I'm not far behind you. My most recent vehicle was a 2003 Freelander. (Landrover.) It was a nice vehicle.. and actually, it didn't get bad gas mileage, but I digress.. before that I had an oldsmobile that I hated and sold when the transmission quite literally fell out of the car. ;D
Before that, I had my cousin Rick's Camaro, all of 3 gallons to the mile.  ;D

But.. the pieste 'la resistance - I had a series 100 Landrover. It was ex-army and had been to the Soviet Union twice. That was it, 2 trips to Russia. It was about 20 years old, but only had about 20,000 miles on it. I loved that vehicle more than any woman I've ever met.  ;D I converted it to liquid petroleum gas, LPG, because it only got 7 miles to the gallon on regular gasoline. It got 9 on LPG, but LPG is about 50 cents a gallon.  ;D
It was a huge V8, that thing roared, it weighed tonnes and I loved it, so I'm not one to talk.

But.. that being said, I can't see the appeal of an SUV. A landrover is different, it's a big vehicle, it's a manly vehicle and most importantly it's got a huge engine in it and you can go off-roading. (which I did regularly) an SUV on the other hand.. there's no appeal.. it's.. sexless.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/24/07 at 12:11 am

Would a bike help on those days?

I wish but really I am two miles away from civilization....and flat lands... I live in the Mountains above Santa barbara. Its very hilly so biking would be painful -  but on the brightside I have finally answered the age old question of how something can be up hill both ways. My roads go up, down, up, down, up - not a lot of fun plus they are narrrow and people drive like maniacs.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/24/07 at 8:42 am

Come to one of my sons' baseball games and you'll see MULTIPLE SUVs with Bush/Cheney/Hastert stickers (or those fish things) but I doubt you'll find a single one with ANY sort of "Democratic" sticker.  Oddly enough, I think the only Democratic sticker I've seen was on a Scion (it was an OBAMA 2008).

I remember my mom driving 5-6 kids and their crap around in a station wagon....of course, that was before car seats were mandatory and when anyone could sit in the front seat.  Now, at least in Illinois, anyone under 8 has to be in a car seat (by law) and they recommend that children <12 sit in the back because of the damage that can be caused by airbags.  My oldest has been riding in the front seat for about 2 years now because he's huge and the middle guy wants to, but it's just not safe.  I'd be complaining about gas prices even if I didn't drive an SUV because I'm the one driving to/from all of my kids crap almost every day of the week AND driving to school during the school year AND driving my parents to/from doctor's appointments AND doing the grocery shopping, etc. etc. etc.  The past month or so, I've been driving around 200 miles per week.  Right now, I'm driving my mom's minivan until we sell it because the gas mileage is better but I have to be careful opening the tailgate because things come falling out because it's all stacked up behind the rear seat ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 05/24/07 at 9:19 am

You totally missed my point.  It is not the "Democratic" that bothers me, it is when I see it combined with something like Greenpeace (or some other "Environmentally friendly" organization) on something that is inherantly "Environmentally Unfriendly" that bothers me.

And I have seen things like that before.  I remember passing a Camry LXE several years ago in California that was covered with PETA stickers.  "Ban Meat", "Fur Is Dead", and all other kinds of nonsense.  And I was thinking "It sure is nice to be so environmentially friendly, as you drive around with your butt sitting on leather seats".

And if you notice, I did not say all SUVs.  My mom drove an SUV, but she also lived in the boonies in Central Idaho.  7' snow drifts were not an unusual sight in that area, and she had to drive 5-7 miles on unplowed roads to get her mail in the winter.  People like Farmers, Contractors, and other also rely on these vehicles for various reasons.  And yes, Utah has a lot of rural areas, and gets some pretty nasty snow.

My problem is the type of person who lives in LA, or San Antonio, or New York who wants one of these things for image.  Who would never dare drive it along a dirt road for fear of messing up the paint.  Of course, I also do not understand the need to have a 12 cylinder "sports car" either, and they should be taxed just as heavily.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/24/07 at 11:43 am

You totally missed my point.  It is not the "Democratic" that bothers me, it is when I see it combined with something like Greenpeace (or some other "Environmentally friendly" organization) on something that is inherantly "Environmentally Unfriendly" that bothers me.

And I have seen things like that before.  I remember passing a Camry LXE several years ago in California that was covered with PETA stickers.  "Ban Meat", "Fur Is Dead", and all other kinds of nonsense.  And I was thinking "It sure is nice to be so environmentially friendly, as you drive around with your butt sitting on leather seats".

And if you notice, I did not say all SUVs.  My mom drove an SUV, but she also lived in the boonies in Central Idaho.  7' snow drifts were not an unusual sight in that area, and she had to drive 5-7 miles on unplowed roads to get her mail in the winter.  People like Farmers, Contractors, and other also rely on these vehicles for various reasons.  And yes, Utah has a lot of rural areas, and gets some pretty nasty snow.

My problem is the type of person who lives in LA, or San Antonio, or New York who wants one of these things for image.  Who would never dare drive it along a dirt road for fear of messing up the paint.  Of course, I also do not understand the need to have a 12 cylinder "sports car" either, and they should be taxed just as heavily.

I understand what you are getting at.    :)   

Written By: statsqueen on 05/24/07 at 2:29 pm

Gas here is $3.64 (at least as of earlier today).  When it spiked up to $3.25 (the first spike over $3), I was able to fill up one last time at $2.98 (just beat the hike).  Micah was in DC, so I didn't have to worry about driving her to school, so after filling up, I parked my car in my driveway and walked back and forth to work (half mile each way--4 times a day, including lunch hr).  I didn't go anywhere that I couldn't walk to from Wed until the Saturday I had to pick her up.

We only drive when necessary.  No more "running to the store" on a whim or for just 1-2 items.  We wait until we have several errands to run (or need more than a couple of things from the store), then do them in a way that is most gas and time efficient.  Micah no longer drives over to hang w/ friends....she has to go and be home early enough to be able to walk.

I've barely been making ends meet up til now...it should be really interesting now that gas has gone up so high and my student loans are now due.

Ah well, only 4 more months until I get my 1% inflation rate (formerly known as COLA) increase.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 05/24/07 at 2:53 pm

am i the only one who's really seeing these rising gas prices as a very bad sign where the continued existence of civilization is concerned? paranoid nutbags have been predicting spiraling gas prices for years, they say it's an early sign supplies might be starting to run out.

Written By: La Roche on 05/24/07 at 5:50 pm

am i the only one who's really seeing these rising gas prices as a very bad sign where the continued existence of civilization is concerned? paranoid nutbags have been predicting spiraling gas prices for years, they say it's an early sign supplies might be starting to run out.

Supplies aren't running out yet.

One major reason that gas prices have spiked is that the Iraqi oil fields are hardly running at all.

That's an interesting development.. and one reason I kind of hope that US companies maintain a big presence in Iraq.

At the moment Iraq has very few oil wells drilled, probably only about 5% of the possible oil there has actually been found due to them being backwards assed arabs, US companies found so much oil in Texas because we're better, smarter and can find it more readily. Let the US companies get in there, give the security guards a license to kill  ;D - They'll find a s**t load and I figure, seeing as we've already invaded a sovereign nation and killed 100,000+ of them, we may as well rape their land for everything it's worth.

After all, that's the American way - Taking land by force and wearing tight pants whilst doing it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/24/07 at 6:14 pm

I would have worked for Dominos if the company provided you with a delivery car.  So long as I had to drive my own car, it was never worth it.  I always tipped generously unless the deliveryman was very late or very rude.  This happens when they have college punks driving for them.  When we were in the dorms, Dominos was so reliably late that we'd go down to the lobby 10 minutes after the guy said he was going to be there and he'd be just about to hit the buzzer!  One time this kid was actually on time, and he was livid!  He fumed at my roommate and me about how hated delivering on campus 'coz guys like us made him late and cost him money.  I just said, "Well, good news for you, you don't have to deliver to us tonight!"  We walked away and left him holding the box!
;D

Come to one of my sons' baseball games and you'll see MULTIPLE SUVs with Bush/Cheney/Hastert stickers (or those fish things) but I doubt you'll find a single one with ANY sort of "Democratic" sticker.  Oddly enough, I think the only Democratic sticker I've seen was on a Scion (it was an OBAMA 2008).

^ You will around here.  You ain't laughed until you've laughed at a Lincoln Navigator with a "No Blood for Oil" bumper sticker!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing6.gif
Then the Whole Foods-shopping, sandal-wearing, carrot juice-drinking crunchie yuppies used to drive around with "Live Simply that Others May Simply Live" on their frikkin Beemers!

I remember my mom driving 5-6 kids and their crap around in a station wagon....of course, that was before car seats were mandatory and when anyone could sit in the front seat.  Now, at least in Illinois, anyone under 8 has to be in a car seat (by law) and they recommend that children <12 sit in the back because of the damage that can be caused by airbags.  My oldest has been riding in the front seat for about 2 years now because he's huge and the middle guy wants to, but it's just not safe.  I'd be complaining about gas prices even if I didn't drive an SUV because I'm the one driving to/from all of my kids crap almost every day of the week AND driving to school during the school year AND driving my parents to/from doctor's appointments AND doing the grocery shopping, etc. etc. etc.  The past month or so, I've been driving around 200 miles per week.  Right now, I'm driving my mom's minivan until we sell it because the gas mileage is better but I have to be careful opening the tailgate because things come falling out because it's all stacked up behind the rear seat ;D

I used to love to ride in the "wayback."  Every give a guy the finger for 25 miles?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/countdown.gif
One time my dad hit black ice and we did a few 360s.  I got knocked silly!  Hey, that kind of stuff builds character!

Yeah, the little kids didn't have use carseats and nobody had to wear a seatbelt.  It wasn't even expected.  The idea it could become law was unthinkable!  I mean, you read about Joe Shmo going headlong through the windshield and landing face first on the pavement, but Joe Shmo was stupid, right?  You're not getting in no accident, you know howda drive!

A bicycle helmet?  WTF?  It's a bike not a motorcycle, jeez!  When I was a kid, it would have been MORE dangerous to ride your bike with a helmet...because of what the neighborhood bullies would do to you if they saw you!
;D

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/24/07 at 6:52 pm

I would have worked for Dominos if the company provided you with a delivery car.  So long as I had to drive my own car, it was never worth it.  I always tipped generously unless the deliveryman was very late or very rude.  This happens when they have college punks driving for them.  When we were in the dorms, Dominos was so reliably late that we'd go down to the lobby 10 minutes after the guy said he was going to be there and he'd be just about to hit the buzzer!  One time this kid was actually on time, and he was livid!  He fumed at my roommate and me about how hated delivering on campus 'coz guys like us made him late and cost him money.  I just said, "Well, good news for you, you don't have to deliver to us tonight!"  We walked away and left him holding the box!

I was dumb enough to work for "Gumby's Pizza" on the OSU/Columbus campus, my bane of existence was making runs to the "dorms". Half the time the kids weren't there at all. Back in the day, before cell phones, we had to drive to the dorms, then call from a payphone in the lobby and wait. Keeping in mind we have four other runs to make. Waiting for a kid to come down, making the rest of our deliveries late (effecting the tips we make).
Thats why most pizza drivers don't really bother on trying to get to a dorm in any acceptable time, they don't tip and most of the time they don't show up with the $$ to pay for the pie!
Delivering pizza was fun, but not always easy, try going out 50 times a night, in the dark, with cash on you, to a place you've never been before. Usually without the porch/house light turned on, and no warning about the nasty dog waiting to take a bite out of you.
Pizza/delivery people put up with a lot more abuse than you can ever imagine. Most times if they are late its not always because they didn't try...the stories that I can tell...

Written By: Tia on 05/24/07 at 10:03 pm

One major reason that gas prices have spiked is that the Iraqi oil fields are hardly running at all.

That's an interesting development.. and one reason I kind of hope that US companies maintain a big presence in Iraq.

At the moment Iraq has very few oil wells drilled, probably only about 5% of the possible oil there has actually been found due to them being backwards assed arabs, US companies found so much oil in Texas because we're better, smarter and can find it more readily. Let the US companies get in there, give the security guards a license to kill  ;D - They'll find a s**t load and I figure, seeing as we've already invaded a sovereign nation and killed 100,000+ of them, we may as well rape their land for everything it's worth.

After all, that's the American way - Taking land by force and wearing tight pants whilst doing it.
well, the idea is that they don't have to run out. they just need to get to a point where you're not getting it to market fast enough to match supply. that'd cause exactly what we see happening, great surges in prices. that's the essence of peak oil, that the zeitgeist where we think of oil as a barrel that eventually runs out, is wrong. it's all part of a delicately balanced system and as the balance gradually goes out of it because of diminishing supply things will slowly become more chaotic.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/26/07 at 9:45 am

Actually that has not a thing to do with it.  Remember, we have had an embargo in place against oil from Iraq for over 17 years now.  And other then the small amounts shipped out during "Oil For Food", oil from Iraq has had almost no impact on the world market.

Most directly, the price is set by a combination of OPEC, and by speculation on the world's commodities markets.  That is where the price for oil (Coffee, Bacon, Gold, Corn, Wheat, and even FCOJ) is set.  Normally OPEC sets the base-line, then the commodities markets bet against that, guessing that it will either go up or down.  Then after passing through those 2 filters, the oil companies have to follow that price (by law they have to follow that price - they have no choice).

And the US has had higher spikes recently because we are now more dependent on foreign supplies of gasoline because of our own diminishing refinery capacity.  Most of the refineries in this country are over 50 years old, and the last new refinery built in this country was built in the mid 1970's.  And demand since then has gone up.  So instead of being an importer of oil and an exporter of gasoline, we are now an importer of both.

However, on a side note has anybody notice how much Diesel fuel has dropped in the last month?  It is now selling for 20-30 cents per gallon cheaper then gasoline.  At least the truck drivers are not getting shafted as bad as they were a little while ago.

Written By: La Roche on 05/26/07 at 10:31 am

Actually that has not a thing to do with it.  Remember, we have had an embargo in place against oil from Iraq for over 17 years now.  And other then the small amounts shipped out during "Oil For Food", oil from Iraq has had almost no impact on the world market.

Most directly, the price is set by a combination of OPEC, and by speculation on the world's commodities markets.  That is where the price for oil (Coffee, Bacon, Gold, Corn, Wheat, and even FCOJ) is set.  Normally OPEC sets the base-line, then the commodities markets bet against that, guessing that it will either go up or down.  Then after passing through those 2 filters, the oil companies have to follow that price (by law they have to follow that price - they have no choice).

And the US has had higher spikes recently because we are now more dependent on foreign supplies of gasoline because of our own diminishing refinery capacity.  Most of the refineries in this country are over 50 years old, and the last new refinery built in this country was built in the mid 1970's.  And demand since then has gone up.  So instead of being an importer of oil and an exporter of gasoline, we are now an importer of both.

However, on a side note has anybody notice how much Diesel fuel has dropped in the last month?  It is now selling for 20-30 cents per gallon cheaper then gasoline.  At least the truck drivers are not getting shafted as bad as they were a little while ago.

Dang! I wasn't aware of that, Oh well, soon enough we should be able to 'rape them for all they're worth' right..

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 05/28/07 at 8:04 am

:-X

Written By: snozberries on 06/01/07 at 8:11 am

My driving habits have changed. i got my new Yaris, and was thrilled to learn that a 121 mile trip was only 3 gallons of gas. Ten years ago, I would have
revved my new car a little, raced it a bit to see what she's got, but gas is too precious now.
I coast to every stop, to save gas, and shift to use the least amount of gas possible. I'm even considering taking out the back seats just to get that extra 1mpg.

I have to admit...that's the one thing I do wrong... I need to get where ever the heck it is I am going as soon as possible.. don't know what it is about me but I hate driving slow... so I burn lots of gas doing 80 or 90 everywhere I go.

Check for new replies or respond here...