inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Mighty Heart- the Daniel Pearl Movie

Written By: SimpleSam on 05/29/07 at 11:23 pm

Anyone see the trailer for this movie yet?  It looks like it's going to be good.  I found the trailer on youtube so I decided to share it with everyone!  Angelina Jolie plays Daniel Pearls wife in this movie and it looks like she does a real nice job.  The move doesnt come out  until June 22nd though.  I put the link for the trailer below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15l_F4ndKI

Subject: Re: A Mighty Heart- the Daniel Pearl Movie

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/07 at 7:44 pm

Movie to me sounds like a bunch of claptrap.  Bottom line is that Daniel Pearl was a journalist with a hankering for dangerous stories, interviewing dangerous people, and got in over his head.

The press makes him out to be some sort of hero.  I do not see it that way.  He was simply a man who liked journalism and enjoyed the hunt of a hot story.  And it got him killed.  The guys who killed him, of course, are scum bags.  But I don't understand all the hubbub over Daniel Pearl.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/07 at 8:01 pm

Yeah, I gotta agree with LB here. 

If we make too many heroes it diminishes the meaning of being a hero.

Of course, Pearl's story has potential to be interesting cinema, but with a title like "A Mighty Heart" it sounds corny as all get out!
::)

Written By: spaceace on 05/30/07 at 8:41 pm

Pearl was a Jew.  He went into an Islamic country.  You can't tell me he didn't think that there was a possibility that he would be targeted.  Same thing goes for Nick Berg.  If you a Jew and you are going into a country were it is predominately Muslim, you're putting your own life at risk.  Not that what happened wasn't terrible, but there are factors that most people don't take into consideration when talking about Daniel Pearl.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/07 at 5:23 am

Pearl was a Jew.  He went into an Islamic country.  You can't tell me he didn't think that there was a possibility that he would be targeted.  Same thing goes for Nick Berg.  If you a Jew and you are going into a country were it is predominately Muslim, you're putting your own life at risk.  Not that what happened wasn't terrible, but there are factors that most people don't take into consideration when talking about Daniel Pearl.

Nick Berg, I do not think he was a Jew, at least not by religion.  In Berg's case he was a thrill seeker who thought he could make money selling and servicing cell phone towers in a war zone.  Found himself at the wrong place at the wrong time and that was that.  Same story as Pearl, basically, though.  Came looking for adventure and got more than he had bargained for.

Written By: spaceace on 05/31/07 at 1:53 pm

Nick Berg, I do not think he was a Jew, at least not by religion.  In Berg's case he was a thrill seeker who thought he could make money selling and servicing cell phone towers in a war zone.  Found himself at the wrong place at the wrong time and that was that.  Same story as Pearl, basically, though.  Came looking for adventure and got more than he had bargained for.

His point of entrance was Israel.  It was on his passport.  That was his mistake.  I also think it was a lack of knowledge about the region and it's religious culture and extremism before going over there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/07 at 10:26 pm

If you a Jew and you are going into a country were it is predominately Muslim, you're putting your own life at risk. 

Oh hogwash.

Written By: spaceace on 06/01/07 at 10:46 pm

Oh hogwash.

Gee Max, then why did the Muslim extremist in both the Daniel Pearl and Nick Berg execution tapes make such a big deal about them being Jewish?  Why is Iran more than willing to deny the existence of  Israel?  Maybe I should have been more specific and said the Middle East . . .my bad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/07 at 1:02 am

Gee Max, then why did the Muslim extremist in both the Daniel Pearl and Nick Berg execution tapes make such a big deal about them being Jewish?  Why is Iran more than willing to deny the existence of  Israel?  Maybe I should have been more specific and said the Middle East . . .my bad.

It's rhetoric and it's a drag.  It does cause problems.  However, Muslims and Jews largely get along.  One has to remember the city where Muslims and Jews live in harmony is not newsworthy!

Written By: spaceace on 06/02/07 at 8:08 am

It's rhetoric and it's a drag.  It does cause problems.  However, Muslims and Jews largely get along.  One has to remember the city where Muslims and Jews live in harmony is not newsworthy!

You mean it's not NYC? ::)  I don't think it's rhetoric, I think it's Extremist against a form of extremism.  I don't think it's against Judism per se, but Zionism.

Written By: SimpleSam on 06/21/07 at 11:31 pm

Well ,I'm going to give the movie a chance this weekend.  I found these clips on Ifilm and I must say it looks really good. Check them out.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2857698
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2857699
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2857700
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2857701

Written By: Red Ant on 06/22/07 at 11:24 pm

I agree with LyricBoy as well. That probably 99% of people who plan to see that movie don't know who plays Daniel Pearl (that trailer doesn't even say) but 99% of them do know AJ is in it is enough to make me wonder why people are really going to see it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/07 at 11:31 pm

Oh Daniel Pearl.

I thought you meant the "Richard Perle Movie"!
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...