inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone know any celebrities in real life ?

Written By: holicman on 05/30/07 at 12:17 am

here is my claim to fame :)

http://www.mook-e.com/bio/hoflin.htm

I used to go to school with this guy, he has been on TV for nearly 20 years.

His locker was 4 down from me in year 7, my first year of High school.

He is currently starring on Neighbours.

Anyone else know any celebrities ?

Subject: Re: Does anyone know any celebrities in real life ?

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/07 at 12:27 am

I am somehow related to former NHL goalie Norm Maracle.  I only ever met him once though, which is strange because he lives next door, across the street and around the corner from all my relative on my mother's side

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Maracle

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/07 at 5:27 am

Hmmm... Not quite but here is my shot anyway:

1.  A high school classmate of mine has won the Oscar® 4 times for special effects.

2.  Mike Ditka's Mum was one of the cafeteria ladies at my grade school.

3.  My Dad used to do business with Rudolf Hess's brother.

That's about it.  :-\\

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/30/07 at 7:59 am

My brother has worked for many different bands and I've met the members of most of them.....and I've hung out with BFS on quite a few occasions.

Written By: spaceace on 05/30/07 at 10:38 am

My first crush was on a kid named John Goelli.  He later was a member of the band Brunette.  Brunette toured with Poison and David Lee Roth.

My Uncle is a celebity in the world of Philosophy. 

I was friends with novelist Tristan Egolf.  I'm still friends with his sister Gretchen who is a Hollywierd actress.

Another one of my friends was one of the orphans in the movie Annie.

Written By: La Roche on 05/30/07 at 10:54 am

UmmHmmm.

On my Dad's side of the family both Bob Rock (Producer for such bands as Motley Crue and Metallica) is my cousin, I've met him a couple of times and dislike him, he's a conceited prick.
Also Michael Carrick who recently signed a contract with Man Utd is a cousin of mine, he's alright actually, nice enough.

Muzzy Izzet (who my dog is named after) lived down the street from me for years and came to the house several times for BBQ's.

Alan Birchenall is a friend of the family.

I used to walk Martin Johnson's dog.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/30/07 at 11:39 am

Well, I do have a few.

When I lived in Palmdale, I used to go to a bar that did karaoke all the time.  One of the regulars who I used to chat and sing with was Joe Forman.  Although most people know of him as Afroman.

Another regular there was Noah Hathaway.  He was mostly known as Boxy on the original Battlestar Galactica, and as Atreyu on The Neverending Story.

In my junior year of High School, the Senior Class President and Head Cheerleader was Paula Abdul.  I chatted with her occasionally, because one of the cheerleaders was dating one of the kids in ROTC (of which I was a member), so we often congregated together.

When I was growing up in Encino in the early 1970's, our next door neighbor was Margaret O'Brien.  She frequently babysat for me, and my parents were even involved in getting her to her appearance on "This Is Your Life".  I also remember her husband, Harold Allen.  He worked on the 1960's-1970's era version of Lassie.

Written By: nally on 05/30/07 at 3:41 pm

Uhm...no, not me. I haven't even met any. :-\\

Written By: Marian on 05/30/07 at 4:20 pm

Helen Mineta,Norm mineta's older sister,was my history teacher when i was a senior in high school.Troy dalby was in my sister's graduating class.he was one of those infamous swimmers who stole a statue from a Korean restaurant in 1988.

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/07 at 6:18 pm

On my Dad's side of the family both Bob Rock (Producer for such bands as Motley Crue and Metallica) is my cousin

Bob Rock is your cousin?  That's super cool! Your family has ties to Canada then

Written By: La Roche on 05/30/07 at 10:28 pm

Bob Rock is your cousin?  That's super cool! Your family has ties to Canada then

Yup.

My cousin Aaron lives up there, my Dad's Great Aunt moved to Canada or something, so.. they're been there a while.

Written By: audkal on 05/30/07 at 11:17 pm

Tim Allen has a summer home about 5 miles from my house.  I've never met him, but I know several people that have met him and most of them say he's quite a jerk.  :P

Written By: spaceace on 05/30/07 at 11:26 pm

If anyone knows french be my guest.  This is my Uncle's Wikipedia entry.  He did have an english one but it was deleted.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Wippel

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/07 at 5:28 am

If anyone knows french be my guest.  This is my Uncle's Wikipedia entry.   He did have an english one but it was deleted.

Wow, spaceace.

You can translate the page using this url:  http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/31/07 at 9:24 am

If anyone knows french be my guest.  This is my Uncle's Wikipedia entry.  He did have an english one but it was deleted.

My french is rusty, but I could understand a majority of it. 

Written By: snozberries on 06/01/07 at 8:35 am

My aunt rented a room from Rutger Hauer's mother in Holland. 

I go to LA and meet lots of celebrities but I don't know them.

A good friend of mine is a writer and has sold a couple of scripts. She meets will all  these famous producers and studio people so when she finally makes it big I can say I know her.

Written By: Marian on 06/01/07 at 3:27 pm

Tim Allen has a summer home about 5 miles from my house.  I've never met him, but I know several people that have met him and most of them say he's quite a jerk.  :P
is a chainsaw always running??? ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/07 at 10:23 pm

My aunt rented a room from Rutger Hauer's mother in Holland. 

My sister was infatuated with Rutger Hauer after seeing him in "Blade Runner."
;D

I don't really know "celebrities."  I know people who are famous in certain niches.
I have met celebrities, but that's not knowing.

My aunt was married into the Taylor family for 25 years.

She was married to James' brother Livingstone, who also made a name for himself in folk/singer-songwriter. 

My dad used to call him "the living stone."  I shall refrain from further comment on that.
:-X

James is a nice guy.  I never met Carly Simon.

Written By: audkal on 06/01/07 at 11:36 pm

is a chainsaw always running??? ;D

LMAO, that's an interesting thought.  ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 06/02/07 at 6:26 pm

The closest I can get:

My aunt dated Bobby Orr in college

My cousin has partied with Dennis Miller, Harvey Fierstein, and who know who else...he has also interviewed all kinds of celebs & gave my mom a pic of him and Michael Caine when my cousin interviewed him in a pub in Dublin (at least I think it was Dublin).

I spoke w/ Placido Domingo on the phone several times when I worked as a nanny in NJ for a conductor and his opera singer wife.

Oh, I know Monty Brown.  He played for the Buffalo Bills, NE Patriots, and is now in pro wrestling.  He makes a point of coming back for homecoming and remembers holding my daughter when she was about 4 (he is HUGE)...she was a good sport, but you could see she was nervous about him holding her.    :)

Also, Chris Kunitz (Anaheim Ducks pro ice hockey team) played for the school I work at.

Don't know if that's close enough, but as good as I can do.

Written By: spaceace on 06/02/07 at 6:53 pm

My cousin was one of the top negotiator for the S.A.L.T. 2 and the S.T.A.R.T.  talks.  The only man I know who can talk about nuclear bombs with a smirk on his face. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/02/07 at 7:35 pm

My cousin was one of the top negotiator for the S.A.L.T. 2 and the S.T.A.R.T.  talks.  The only man I know who can talk about nuclear bombs with a smirk on his face. ;D

Oh, I almost forgot.  My cousin was an aide to President Roosevelt and you know that picture of Churchill, Stalin, and Roosevelt at the Yalta Conference?  My cousin is one of the guys in uniform in the background.

According to him, Roosevelt "was absolutely out of his mind" at the conference.

Also his brother bought up the marketing rights for Pepsi in the SOuth Pacific after the war and made a bundle.

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/07 at 8:43 pm

We have a celebrity who is a member of inthe00s ...

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/02/07 at 9:07 pm

OK whistledog, out with it.  Who is it? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Written By: statsqueen on 06/02/07 at 10:34 pm

Micah reminded me that we met Sinbad and Mark Curry.  Sinbad is from close to where I grew up and actually rememberd watching one of my older bros play hoops...he was cool.  Mark Curry was a jerk and not that funny (when we could even understand him).

Written By: snozberries on 06/02/07 at 11:08 pm

Is it me?  Does being famous in my own head count???

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/07 at 11:44 pm

OK whistledog, out with it.  Who is it? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

80sTrivMeister.  He is an author of several best selling books

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/03/07 at 7:05 am

Micah reminded me that we met Sinbad and Mark Curry.  Sinbad is from close to where I grew up and actually rememberd watching one of my older bros play hoops...he was cool.  Mark Curry was a jerk and not that funny (when we could even understand him).

Kinda matched what I woulda expected from Sinbad and Mark Curry.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/03/07 at 7:07 am

80sTrivMeister.  He is an author of several best selling books

Wow... Steven King posts here.  Most excellent!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/07 at 10:44 am

As a member of the museum of TV & Radio I get to attend some great seminars. Here's the list of people I've met...

Cast of Any Day Now- Donzaliegh Abernathy & Nancy McLoughlin were quite pleasant to chat with.
Cast of Designing Women
Cast of Cagney & Lacey (twice)- I had great conversations with Sharon Gless & John Karlan.  I was so in awe of Tyne Daly I just stared at her the whole night. I think she thought I was stalking her.
Cast of Judging Amy: This is probably why Tyne thinks I'm stalking her.I've been to 2 Cagney & Lacey events & this one in the last few years.
Cast of Gilmore Girls (twice)- Amy Sherman-Palladino talks just like Lorelei & so does Lauren Graham so watching the two of them interact was as entertaining as the show itself. I told Kelly Bishop that I loved Dirty Dancing...she looked up at me perplexed and asked "Why?" Guess she didn't like it as much as I did  ;)
Cast of Angel: Joss Whedon is so frickin amazing!  As a bonus Alexis Densoff brought Alyson Hannigan
Cast of Lost: but it was too crowded to get to chat with any one.
Cast of American Dreams
Cast of In Living Color
Cast of The Shield
Cast of Prison Break
American Idol Judges: SURPRISE!  Randy Jackson is more articulate in public & Simon Cowell was pleasant. Paula left immediately
Cast of the Practice: Camryn Manheim is so cool
Cast of Boomtown
Cast of Freaks & Geeks: Actually my friend and I are such goobers we were hanging out at the directors guild just because we didn't want to leave and Paul Feig invited us to the party they were having in the back room.  That was so cool!
Cast of Jericho
Cast of the Closer: Gina Ravera talked to me for about 10 minutes afterwards she was really great.
Cast of Ugly Betty: Every one from the cast stayed to chat and sign autographs. Its rare to get that much from them at these events
Cast of Jericho: sorry the show was cancelled it was starting to get good.
Cast of Joan of Arcadia: Amber Tamblyn stayed to sign autographs even though she was being stalked at the time. Jason Ritter looks just like his dad.
Producers of the Simpsons: Matt Groening signed my program with a Bart Simpson drawing!
Some of the cast of Smallville.  The show should be renamed BIGHEAD!  TOM WELLING IS AN ASS!
Cast of the OC: I have never seen so many teenagers in my life!

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/07 at 10:44 am

I have also gone to a lot of show tapings. I got autographs from the cast of That 70's show. But the best part was I got to chat with Tanya Roberts. Even though she was my 2nd least favorite Angel she is the only one I have ever met so I was happy to see her. I chatted with Wilmer Valderama because I was at the taping of Ellen when he was on with Paula Abdul (guess I've seen her twice-cool).  But my favorite moment was when Ashton Kutcher complimented my singing. They have karoke moment where an audience member sings I Will Survive. The girl they picked had never heard the song before so she couldn't sing it. I was so I annoyed I stood up to help her by feeding her the lines before they came up. She got confused and handed me the mike and said you do it! I did and Ashton was impressed.  He's cute.

At another taping for That 70's show I got the chance to talk to Marion Ross of Happy Days & Brooklyn Bridge...wait a minute....

Okay after all of that i just remembered I do know a celebrity- well not a celebrity but a child actor. I worked with Jake Jundeff. He was Benny Belinski on Brooklyn Bridge. He did lots of commercials, had a small part in the beginning of Mannequin and was the kid in the Hearse Tootie used to take her driving test on Facts of Life. 

Written By: statsqueen on 06/03/07 at 11:33 am

As a member of the museum of TV & Radio I get to attend some great seminars. Here's the list of people I've met...
Cast of Designing Women
Cast of American Dreams
Cast of Jericho

That is so cool!  I used to love Designing Women and watched American Dreams.  I'm really going to miss Jericho.  What was Skeet Ulrich like?

Written By: loki 13 on 06/03/07 at 12:31 pm

Other than playing football, as kids, against pro players Mike Rozier and Derek Holloway the only celebrity
I know is: Bobby Corea, drummer for the 80's band Pretty Poison, I was in the same High School English
class with Bobby Corea.

Written By: spaceace on 06/03/07 at 12:35 pm

I had milk and cookies with Robert Mitchum at his summer house.  (It was on the Chesapeake Bay)  The most wonderful man you'd ever want to meet.  I still think about him sometimes. :)

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/07 at 1:10 pm

That is so cool!  I used to love Designing Women and watched American Dreams.  I'm really going to miss Jericho.  What was Skeet Ulrich like?

Kind of quiet and shy but nice. It was funny because one of the producers was talking about flying somewhere to promote the show, it was her and Skeet on the plane, and there was a little bit of turbulence. She got scared but then looked over and saw that she was sitting next to Jake Green and thought it would be okay. Skeet looked at her and said he probably could save her but she'd have to hurry up and write the scene for him first.... ;D

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/07 at 1:11 pm

I had milk and cookies with Robert Mitchum at his summer house.  (It was on the Chesapeake Bay)  The most wonderful man you'd ever want to meet.  I still think about him sometimes. :)

I'd be afraid to have milk and cookies with the man from Night of the Hunter...

Written By: spaceace on 06/03/07 at 2:17 pm

I'd be afraid to have milk and cookies with the man from Night of the Hunter...

It's all an act. :)  He was very nice to me.  He seemed shorter in real life then on the big screen. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/07 at 2:31 pm

I had milk and cookies with Robert Mitchum. 

That has a nice ring to it!

Written By: spaceace on 06/03/07 at 2:33 pm

That has a nice ring to it!

Actually, it's true.  Oatmeal cookies and milk in his kitchen.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/07 at 2:38 pm

Actually, it's true.  Oatmeal cookies and milk in his kitchen.

I don't doubt it, I was just saying "milk and cookies with Robert Mitchum" is a fun phrase.  It could be the name of one of those syndicated late shows in which a celebrity presents movies or something. 

There's a difference between meeting and knowing

I don't really know any celebrities, but I've met a bunch,
from Thurston Moore to Michael Moore!
;D

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/07 at 3:24 pm

I don't doubt it, I was just saying "milk and cookies with Robert Mitchum" is a fun phrase.  It could be the name of one of those syndicated late shows in which a celebrity presents movies or something. 

I like it but for it to air now it would have to be Milk and Cookies with Robert Mitchum...from the grave...

There's a difference between meeting and knowing

I don't really know any celebrities, but I've met a bunch,
from Thurston Moore to Michael Moore!
;D

There is a difference between meeting and knowing and I wasn't gonna do my list at first but then all these people post with people they've met and I thought hey I've met a bunch too...I wanna play

Written By: Gis on 06/03/07 at 3:49 pm

I've seen quite a few around work as they do a lot of filming there. Rosemary Pike and Kate Beckinsale read in the library when they were students at Oxford.

There are quite a few published authors at the library too.

A good friend is a cartoonist for Private Eye and the Spectator.

I used to work with Andrew Yorke singer in The Unbelievable Truth and brother of Tom Yorke the singer of Radiohead.

My old bosses son was Andy Bell who went on to play in Oasis.

Finally I do know a stunt man who most recently was Philip Glenister's stunt double in Life on Mars.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/07 at 5:42 pm

I like it but for it to air now it would have to be Milk and Cookies with Robert Mitchum...from the grave...

You mean "Milk and cookies with the Crypt Keeper"?

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/07 at 6:21 pm

You mean "Milk and cookies with the Crypt Keeper"?

;D yeah I'd watch that

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/03/07 at 6:34 pm

I once met Vanessa Del Rio, and got her signature for a friend of mine.  ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 06/03/07 at 8:05 pm

My dentist is the team dentist for the Utah Jazz.  My office is right downstairs from his so periodically I have run-ins with players.  That's about it.

Written By: wally on 06/06/07 at 3:22 pm

ive seen lots in my travels.  ron jeremy...the pie-fornicator from american pie...vince vaughn...woody from cheers

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/07 at 8:44 pm

I once met Vanessa Del Rio, and got her signature for a friend of mine.  ;)

I was in Annie Sprinkle's apartment on Lexington Ave.  See, many years ago my sister was working as a freelance journalist.  Jeez, this must have been '92.  The local weekly freebie assigned her to interview Ms. Sprinkle, who was scheduled to do her neo-feminist performance art let-me-show-you-my-cervix show up this way.  My sister was just going to do a phone interview, but her boyfriend suggested we all take a road trip to the Big Apple and meet Annie in person. 

She was a very friendly woman who talked a lot about pornography and prostitution being empowering and liberating for women.  I thought this was a load of horsesh*t and I still do....but it was not my interview, it was my sister's, and we were guests.  No, I didn't agree with her, but she seemed like a good soul. 

Anyway, her apartment was all artsy and funky and full of pornography and objets érotiques!

(Let me pre-empt any did-you-did-she-type questions.  The answer is no.)
;)

Written By: snozberries on 06/10/07 at 10:02 am

I have a friend who is a rapper in Sin City or Cin Sity as he spells it Playboy 7... I amazoned him today and saw his album is available there http://www.amazon.com/Whore-Playboy-7/dp/B00001OH4T/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6497006-2461428?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1181487393&sr=8-1

I've known him since like 1973 does that count?

Check for new replies or respond here...