inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Once In A Blue Moon

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/07 at 2:15 pm

Depending on what your definition of a Blue Moon, tonight is one. Some say that it is second full moon in a month (which is tonight) and some say it is the 4th full moon in a season (which tonight isn't). Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to see it. Right now it is raining (and there is some thunder in the distance).  :\'( :\'(

http://www.mercurynews.com/healthandscience/ci_6026684

Cat

Subject: Re: Once In A Blue Moon

Written By: spaceace on 05/31/07 at 2:21 pm

OMGosh a Blue Moon.  I've gotta see it.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/31/07 at 2:46 pm

OMGosh a Blue Moon.  I've gotta see it.

make sure you read the accompanying article so you won't be disappointed!!!!  :)

It was orange last night.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/07 at 2:51 pm

make sure you read the accompanying article so you won't be disappointed!!!!  :)

It was orange last night.

Cool. I remember seeing a HUGH orange moon one time and what made it so neat was it was actually on Halloween.  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 05/31/07 at 4:29 pm

Cool. I remember seeing a HUGH orange moon one time and what made it so neat was it was actually on Halloween.  :o :o :o

Cat

The huge orange moons (usually found mostly Aug-Oct) are Harvest Moons and they are definitely the coolest (at least in my opinion).  They are called harvest moons because way back when the farmers could do the last of their harvesting (hence the typical time frame) by the light of that moon (because is IS so big).  They are definitely our favorite.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/07 at 5:07 pm

The huge orange moons (usually found mostly Aug-Oct) are Harvest Moons and they are definitely the coolest (at least in my opinion).  They are called harvest moons because way back when the farmers could do the last of their harvesting (hence the typical time frame) by the light of that moon (because is IS so big).  They are definitely our favorite.

Actually the Harvest Moon is the full moon closet to the Autumnal Equinox (Sept). The May moon is usually called the Hare Moon and June is called the Mead Moon. (Of course there are several names for each full moon-one for just about every ancient civilization.)

Cat 

Written By: zcrito on 05/31/07 at 5:19 pm

Those full moons like a Harvest Moon are something I always notice.
I can't image what people who lived say, 1000 - 5000 years ago thought when they saw them.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/31/07 at 6:27 pm

Must be a time-zone difference as the site I normally visit suggests June 30 as being a full moon.

I've often wondered what February's are without any full moon. Wikipedia has the answers: (of course)
2018 will have no full moons in February. (Times are UTC, so New Zealand probably  will still have a full moon that month)
2010 the full moon lands on Feb. 28, and will probably land on March 1 in New Zealand so that could be considered too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/07 at 6:35 pm

Must be a time-zone difference as the site I normally visit suggests June 30 as being a full moon.

I've often wondered what February's are without any full moon. Wikipedia has the answers: (of course)
2018 will have no full moons in February. (Times are UTC, so New Zealand probably  will still have a full moon that month)
2010 the full moon lands on Feb. 28, and will probably land on March 1 in New Zealand so that could be considered too.

I'm not too sure if it is a time-zone thing as much as it is a latitude thing (like you having winter when we have summer). I could be wrong. When I have more time, I should some research on that.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 06/01/07 at 10:27 am

When it's blood red you just can't help finding it a bit creepy.........

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/07 at 11:46 am

I did a little research and yeah, it is a time-zone thing. The full moon last night on this side of the world was BEFORE midnight-making it the second full moon of the month. In your neck of the woods, it happened AFTER midnight-making it full in June instead of May.

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 06/01/07 at 5:00 pm

We had too many clouds to see it.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/07 at 1:17 pm

Last night the moon was orange. I took a pic but we have to wait to see if it came out ok (yeah, it is a film camera).

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...