inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I need help.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/03/07 at 5:09 pm

I got a yellow page, requring downloading music.  I'm curious can you be jailed, in Canada for downloading music.

I have all ready deleted my Limeware account, and am wondering what the court, can do.

Currently my songs are on Ipod. 

Can you be jailed for having songs that are not from iTunes, on your iPod, and if so what legal action, can I take, if any?

I seriously need help.

Thanks.

Subject: Re: I need help.

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/07 at 5:38 pm

I haven't heard of any law (yet) that says you can be jailed over it, but i'm sure the powers that be have ways of tracking who is downloading music without paying for it.

I use Limewire all the time, but I never worry about the legalities over it as most of what I download is not even available on CD

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/07 at 5:46 pm

They'll probably pass these "Rockefeller Drug Laws" all over again for "stealing intellectual property."  Let's set an example out of him.  Let's sentence him to double nickels on the dime!

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/03/07 at 5:47 pm

I haven't heard of any law (yet) that says you can be jailed over it, but i'm sure the powers that be have ways of tracking who is downloading music without paying for it.

I use Limewire all the time, but I never worry about the legalities over it as most of what I download is not even available on CD

I often use a program in association with limewire called 'peerguardian', for extra security. Read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerGuardian

:)

Written By: statsqueen on 06/03/07 at 6:17 pm

The RIAA has sent letters to students at various colleges & universities (including Nebraska and the one where I work in MI) telling them that they owe about $3k (maybe it's $6k) for using the institution's computer networks for illegally downloading from Limewire.  I don't know how many students have received the letters, I just read it in a newspaper article.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/03/07 at 7:05 pm

I don't think the RIAA can do much, if anything to non-USA citizens downloading music unless they manage to pressure the recording industry in that country to take action. But really, I have yet to see any action taken against simple downloaders in this country. There are far worse crims out there & bootleggers that are actually making a profit. Really who cares if Jamie downloads the latest Linkin Park album? If he makes copies & sells it for a profit that should be where the RIAC (?) should step in.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/03/07 at 8:10 pm

I got a yellow page, requring downloading music.  I'm curious can you be jailed, in Canada for downloading music.

I have all ready deleted my Limeware account, and am wondering what the court, can do.

Currently my songs are on Ipod. 

Can you be jailed for having songs that are not from iTunes, on your iPod, and if so what legal action, can I take, if any?

I seriously need help.

Thanks.

??? I am not sure what you mean "I got a yellow page requiring downloading music" ???

Check for new replies or respond here...