inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is YouTube the modern equivalent of early '80s MTV?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/07 at 7:36 pm

I never realized how similar they are until now, but both are "groundbreaking" in using a certain medium to give exposure to things that might not otherwise have been noticed in the mainstream, at least not as much.

MTV did this with bands that weren't getting played on the radio, especially new wave, and further popularized other stuff. It was a "hot new thing" from its debut until probably just about when 1982 was becoming 1983 (when Michael Jackson's Thriller singles came out, and suddenly bands like Culture Club and Duran Duran were able to hit #1). Then it was like a permanent part of pop culture.

I think it's less obvious with YouTube, but 2006 was definitely its "breakthrough" year and it more or less still a hot new thing now (even if it actually came out in late '05). Likewise, that seems to be the biggest place where people watch things like music videos now. Which can be really useful to new bands or performers.

Subject: Re: Is YouTube the modern equivalent of early '80s MTV?

Written By: Step-chan on 06/04/07 at 7:51 pm

That's actually a very good comparison. I go to YouTube alot(even while I'm logged in on this site, which is why I'll be idle for long periods of time). I've lost track of time while on YouTube.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/07 at 7:53 pm

Same here man, lol. I think I watch it as much as regular TV now. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/07 at 8:30 pm

That's why I started logging on to YouTube--to watch old music videos from '80s.

You can also find rare concert footage from everybody from Miles Davis to David Bowie.

I know Viacom is after YouTube, but I don't think they'll be able to put a stop to it.  The cat's out of the bag.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/04/07 at 8:32 pm

Youtube is awesome for finding old clips and episodes of retro cartoons and TV shows...that's what I usually do when I am there.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/07 at 8:36 pm

I think now that the record companies, such as SonyBMG have started posting "official" videos themselves, that's a good sign. Viacom is oddly picky about what they force YouTube to delete, since some have been up there for a year, and some go within hours.

It seems like all they don't want is actual MTV or VH1 footage that someone recorded, but the videos themselves are kinda okay. I can understand them not wanting anything profitable posted up there, like episodes of shows that you can buy on DVD or watch when it airs. But there's no point in deleting what people will probably never see again.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/07 at 8:41 pm

I think now that the record companies, such as SonyBMG have started posting "official" videos themselves, that's a good sign. Viacom is oddly picky about what they force YouTube to delete, since some have been up there for a year, and some go within hours.

Doesn't it all depend on when somebody complains?  I would figure the more commercially viable a clip is, the quicker somebody will demend YouTube yank it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/07 at 8:43 pm

Doesn't it all depend on when somebody complains?  I would figure the more commercially viable a clip is, the quicker somebody will demend YouTube yank it.

That seems to be the case, yeah. I've seen Mad TV or Leno clips get yanked literally within minutes sometimes. Same with the videos from Weird Al's last album, when "White and Nerdy" began surfacing.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/04/07 at 9:08 pm

I agree, You Tube is neat!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/05/07 at 12:30 am

I love YouTube, it's one of the best websites ever. I can understand the comparison to early 80's MTV, I've seen a lot of cool videos from bands I like which never get any radio airplay.

Youtube is awesome for finding old clips and episodes of retro cartoons and TV shows...that's what I usually do when I am there.
I agree, I've seen so much stuff on there from the 70's and 80's which I honestly thought I'd never see again and I get quite a kick out of finding a lot of obscure old stuff.

But I think the best thing about YouTube is finding stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1ZgnfBod00

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 06/05/07 at 9:29 pm

Just gone done watching a speed run on Zelda 2(NES) which is divided into 8 parts....

Has anyone seen this one before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP-kezQAV18

Written By: Stompgal on 06/08/07 at 9:41 am

I've watched the following 80s videos on YouTube:

Madonna - La Isla Bonita
A-Ha - Take On Me
The Maisonettes - Heartache Avenue (Top of the Pops performance)
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/10/07 at 10:24 am

I am in Thailand at the moment and have wifi in my hotel room. Would you believe you tube is totally banned here in the entire country.

If i try to enter my own you tube account, or click on a link to a video - it goes straight to a page advising that the site has been banned by the Communications Department of Thailand.

I have had two whole weeks without you tube - its hard!

Check for new replies or respond here...