inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: prisoners unite!

Written By: saver on 06/07/07 at 2:19 pm

To all the prisoners currently in the penal system and awaiting sentencing UNITE and protest the release of Paris Hilton to home jail!!!

How many people who have been through 'the system' tried their hardest NOT to serve the sentence doled out by the penal system and HAD TO STAY PUT!??

Maybe they never tried the excuse 'jail makes me sick, I can't go or stay!'..YET, Ms. Hilton gets off from it..I would feel like I was hit in the face by a truck!

What's fair is fair....or maybe I'm off base here and the MILLIONS of prisoners and former prisoners who had to stay in jail just never had the 'right' excuse ...

So you were all trumped! Unless you all(incarcerated)... can use her as the example and reappeal to get out as she did!

Oh what a legal system we have! >:( >:(

Subject: Re: prisoners unite!

Written By: Marian on 06/08/07 at 12:08 pm

I don't feel too sorry for them.A lot of them have a not so'simple" life courtesy of the taxpayers,so if they're upset about how unfair the system is,amybe they should try harder to stay out of it.

Written By: limblifter on 06/08/07 at 12:35 pm

I was watching Larry King last night and the defense lawyers were saying that they had never heard of anyone being sentenced to that much jail time for her offence. So if anything, her celebrity is what got her such a long jail term to begin with.

Besides, who cares about Paris Hilton? She's not a violent offender or a sex offender (insert sex joke here). There are child molesters who are released every day who barely served any time, yet everyone is making a big fuss over Paris ???

Written By: saver on 06/08/07 at 1:20 pm

I was watching Larry King last night and the defense lawyers were saying that they had never heard of anyone being sentenced to that much jail time for her offence. So if anything, her celebrity is what got her such a long jail term to begin with.

Besides, who cares about Paris Hilton? She's not a violent offender or a sex offender (insert sex joke here). There are child molesters who are released every day who barely served any time, yet everyone is making a big fuss over Paris ???

I now get to talk about what I digested from the day before after listening to 'those in the know'....

1)Yes Paris did get more than the average penalty... no problem acknowledging and confirming that...

2) I guess emotions are flying in this case and I try not to let it get the best of me, so based on what I heard,
    A. The judge did what he was supposed to do and sentence her, the sheriff did what he was supposed to do and due to the severity of her sentence and past criminals with misdemeanors with under 90 days sentences, HE did what he was supposed to do considering the crime and let her serve at home.

So....what's the beef about now? Guess I don't have one...does anyone else still think it was wrong?
Jail MD'S are for those who will be there awhile from AIDS patients to mental cases...with long term sentences, so why should Paris make use of the systems' MD'S if she could/will get out with home arrest.

3 weeks ago I am on record with a friend, I told don't pay attentiion to ANY of the news stories to follow these weeks as it will be water under the bridge when she has her sentence transmuted, cut or expunged..

I saved 3 weeks of even caring about (what she will wear, eat and stay)....Just a feeling and I realize the difference of arguing feelings and law...

So I will now sleep easy again..if anyone has anything more to add..go ahead-there are other threads now and I am satisfied with letting this rest and jumping off the media merry-go-round... :)   

Written By: Mushroom on 06/09/07 at 9:20 am

I now get to talk about what I digested from the day before after listening to 'those in the know'....

1)Yes Paris did get more than the average penalty... no problem acknowledging and confirming that...

Oh bullpucky.  If anything, she was given a light sentence.  Let's think about what she is in jail for.

Probation violation for a previous DUI
3x Driving on a Suspended License
2x additional DUI offenses
Speeding, doing 70 mph in a 35 mph zone

And every offense after the first was on a suspended license.  Because she lost her license after failing to do her drug and alcohol course from her first DUI.

Anybody else would have been slapped in jail after the first repeat offense.  But because she was Paris Hilton, she got off easy.  And she got off easy the other times as well.  And if 3 arrests for DUI in less then a year does not deserve at least 45 days in jail all by themselves, this country is in serious trouble.

My sentence was the equivelent of her not taking the classes.  But I was sentenced to 90 days, and that was not unusual.  That is the norm when you fail to follow a court order.  She not only failed to follow orders, she continued to drive intoxicated, on a suspended license.

In fact, under California law, more then 2 DUI arrests within a 10 year period results in a 30 day jail sentence.  Subsiquent arrests each result in up to 120 days each.  And this bimbo has not only 3 in 10 years, she has 3 in under 2 years.  Together that means she is eligable to serve from 30-150 days in county jail.

Once again, she is getting off easy.  Anybody else who had 3 DUIs and kept on driving would not be treated so nicely. 

Written By: limblifter on 06/09/07 at 12:18 pm

Once again, she is getting off easy.  Anybody else who had 3 DUIs and kept on driving would not be treated so nicely. 

Hey, don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to defend her actions. I'm just repeating what was said on TV. I guess what I was really trying to say was who cares about Paris Hiltons jail time.

Personally I think that 1 DUI is enough to get jail time. There is no excuse for anyone to be driving while drunk. Especially someone with enough money to get a driver.

Written By: Marian on 06/09/07 at 2:49 pm

I agree.I wasn't scared knowing Paris had been out.This guy who was once charged with trying to kidnap david letterman's son has just escaped with another man---I would care more about something like that.But to each his own.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/09/07 at 5:14 pm

Please...  She's probally getting better treatment than most prisoners, can ever hope to have.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...