inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Paris Hilton: The Classic American Success Story?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/07 at 6:48 am

It seems to me that Paris's recent difficulties and sudden UN-popularity is the classic story of success in America.

The public loves to build you up... and then relishes tearing you down.  :-\\

Subject: Re: Paris Hilton: The Classic American Success Story?

Written By: Tia on 06/09/07 at 6:49 am

i appear to be the only person in the world who feels sorta bad for her. and that's true, wealth obviously doesn't get you everything, she's evidently looking to drugs to get her through something, some kind of spiritual problem.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/07 at 6:58 am

i appear to be the only person in the world who feels sorta bad for her. and that's true, wealth obviously doesn't get you everything, she's evidently looking to drugs to get her through something, some kind of spiritual problem.

Just think what her aunt must be going thru.  :-\\

Written By: Tia on 06/09/07 at 7:03 am

Just think what her aunt must be going thru.   :-\\
just think about her aunt. 8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/07 at 7:05 am

just think about her aunt. 8)

Oh, I think about her often.  ;)

Written By: Tia on 06/09/07 at 7:07 am

suddenly the word "aunt" is striking me as odd and strange. where did this word come from? "aunt." why do we pronounce it "ant" instead of "awnt"? or do we? why do they throw that weirdo silent "u" in there?

Written By: Tia on 06/09/07 at 7:07 am

Oh, I think about her often.  ;)
back off!  >:( i call dibs.

i bet she needs comforting, what with her niece in prison and all. a hardened felon.

Written By: spaceace on 06/09/07 at 7:17 am

i bet she needs comforting, what with her niece in prison and all. a hardened felon.

Should we help you pack?  Buy you a one way plane ticket?  Warn the media?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/07 at 7:21 am

Hey there is plenty to share...  ;)

Written By: Tia on 06/09/07 at 7:22 am

Should we help you pack?  Buy you a one way plane ticket?  Warn the media?
naw, i'll drive. i've always wanted to do the great american road trip. drive from washington to LA to meet kim richards! i feel a movie concept coming on.

wait. it's been done? who's this "pamela anderson"?

Written By: packerhawk24 on 06/10/07 at 3:44 pm

Yes, you are the only person in the world who feels bad for her.

She should be shot.

Written By: jackas on 06/10/07 at 5:29 pm

It seems to me that Paris's recent difficulties and sudden UN-popularity is the classic story of success in America.

I don't think we would have "torn her down" if she acted like a decent person.  I never thought anything of her until I started hearing some of the things she did.  People like that shouldn't be given any attention.

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/07 at 5:51 pm

She should be shot.

http://wow.incgamers.com/forums/images/smilies/large/smiley_awe.gif

Written By: Tia on 06/10/07 at 6:30 pm

i had a friend of mine who was opposed to the iraq war back when everyone else was for it. some pinhead at a bar told her to her face that she should be shot. what's with that? what possesses people to say stuff like that? it's so asinine.

Written By: tv on 06/10/07 at 6:36 pm

I don;t understand what Paris has even done to deserve the amount of attention she gets. What has she done thats so great? The answer is nothing and they are better looking women actress's, better looking women in everyday life, and alot more talented women actress's than Paris. I just never understood the paparazzi's love affair with Paris Hilton. Do I feel sorry Paris and her jailtime? a little bit but she did the crime so she must do the time.

Written By: packerhawk24 on 06/10/07 at 6:38 pm

i had a friend of mine who was opposed to the iraq war back when everyone else was for it. some pinhead at a bar told her to her face that she should be shot. what's with that? what possesses people to say stuff like that? it's so asinine.

You're right, I'll amend it.

Paris Hilton, and the people who spend their lives worrying about her fate, should be shot.

Written By: Tia on 06/10/07 at 7:47 pm

You're right, I'll amend it.

Paris Hilton, and the people who spend their lives worrying about her fate, should be shot.
ah, america's youth. our hope for the future.

why do i have a hunch we're dealing with a teenager in our new "guest"? and possibly one who's spent an inordinate amount of time playing first-person shooters? maybe has written a vengeful short story or two for a junior high school creative writing class that's attracted the attention and concern of faculty and school administrators?

Written By: packerhawk24 on 06/10/07 at 8:55 pm

ah, america's youth. our hope for the future.

why do i have a hunch we're dealing with a teenager in our new "guest"? and possibly one who's spent an inordinate amount of time playing first-person shooters? maybe has written a vengeful short story or two for a junior high school creative writing class that's attracted the attention and concern of faculty and school administrators?

No, I'm 26.

If hating Ms. Hilton and her airhead harlot brethren is a sign of psychosis, lock me up.

Written By: Tia on 06/10/07 at 9:00 pm

If hating Ms. Hilton and her airhead harlot brethren is a sign of psychosis
well, no, but telling strangers you feel they should be shot is, in fact, a bit of a cautionary sign. it's all about first impressions. you know what i'm sayin', shooter?

Written By: La Roche on 06/10/07 at 9:17 pm

well, no, but telling strangers you feel they should be shot is, in fact, a bit of a cautionary sign. it's all about first impressions. you know what i'm sayin', shooter?

.. really?

Uh oh.

Written By: Tia on 06/10/07 at 10:12 pm

.. really?

Uh oh.
well, you know... you got in through the grandfather clause.

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/07 at 10:19 pm

should we add packerhawk24 to the list of crazies? 

I don't know where he would fit in though.  He's not at wkm82 warp speed yet, and he's got a ways to go to get to 5*19*86 territory.  He's hovering around the land of RheemO for now

Written By: jackas on 06/10/07 at 10:30 pm

Come on guys.  Saying someone should be shot is just a figure of speech.  Besides, she should be shot. :D :P

Written By: La Roche on 06/10/07 at 10:55 pm

well, you know... you got in through the grandfather clause.

That's alright then.

Can I borrow your gun?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/07 at 11:14 pm

Come on guys.  Saying someone should be shot is just a figure of speech.  Besides, she should be shot. :D :P

Yeah... With a "money shot"...  :P

Written By: jackas on 06/11/07 at 12:30 am

Yeah... With a "money shot"...  :P

;D

Written By: Gis on 06/11/07 at 1:21 am

She brought it on herself and I agree she did the crime she should do her time. I must admit she has only ever entertained me on the worst dressed lists. That girl has a SHOCKING dress sense!

Oh and if you were in England Tia we pronounce the 'u' in Aunt so there you go. ;)

Written By: Tia on 06/11/07 at 10:32 am

she now says that she's contrite and now is going to become a completely different person.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070611/ap_en_ot/paris_hilton;_ylt=Ankgy7bWTJn120S_ajoVpVhxFb8C

"Hilton says she'll no longer `act dumb' 1 hour, 22 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES -        Paris Hilton says she will no longer "act dumb."

ADVERTISEMENT

The reality TV star and relentless publicity-seeker spoke with Barbara Walters by phone Sunday, a day after releasing a statement saying she hoped the media would focus on "more important things" than her 45-day jail sentence, according to ABC News' Web site.

"I used to act dumb. ... That act is no longer cute," ABC quoted Hilton as saying.

After spending three days in jail in a reckless driving case, Hilton was briefly released to home confinement Thursday for an undisclosed medical condition. An outraged judge sent her back to jail Friday. She is now housed in the medical ward of a maximum-security detention center.

According to ABC News, the call came after Hilton's mother, Kathy, phoned Walters. During the conversation, the 26-year-old socialite called her mom on another line, found out her mother was talking to Walters, and then called Walters collect. All jail inmates are required to call collect.

Hilton has been saying that she is changed by her jailhouse experience, and she repeated that theme with Walters: "Now, I would like to make a difference. ... God has given me this new chance."

"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/11/07 at 10:58 am

I don;t understand what Paris has even done to deserve the amount of attention she gets. What has she done thats so great? The answer is nothing and they are better looking women actress's, better looking women in everyday life, and alot more talented women actress's than Paris. I just never understood the paparazzi's love affair with Paris Hilton. Do I feel sorry Paris and her jailtime? a little bit but she did the crime so she must do the time.

My thoughts exactly. Her only claim to fame is that she was born rich. She got her so-called acting jobs because she was born rich. BFD!!!

she now says that she's contrite and now is going to become a completely different person.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070611/ap_en_ot/paris_hilton;_ylt=Ankgy7bWTJn120S_ajoVpVhxFb8C

LOS ANGELES -        Paris Hilton says she will no longer "act dumb."

ADVERTISEMENT

The reality TV star and relentless publicity-seeker spoke with Barbara Walters by phone Sunday, a day after releasing a statement saying she hoped the media would focus on "more important things" than her 45-day jail sentence, according to ABC News' Web site.

"I used to act dumb. ... That act is no longer cute," ABC quoted Hilton as saying.

After spending three days in jail in a reckless driving case, Hilton was briefly released to home confinement Thursday for an undisclosed medical condition. An outraged judge sent her back to jail Friday. She is now housed in the medical ward of a maximum-security detention center.

According to ABC News, the call came after Hilton's mother, Kathy, phoned Walters. During the conversation, the 26-year-old socialite called her mom on another line, found out her mother was talking to Walters, and then called Walters collect. All jail inmates are required to call collect.

Hilton has been saying that she is changed by her jailhouse experience, and she repeated that theme with Walters: "Now, I would like to make a difference. ... God has given me this new chance."

"

That was acting? But Paris can't act. My cat can act better than she can.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 06/11/07 at 11:04 am

originally i had a daydream, i think after she attacked that car with that umbrella or whatever? that britney spears was going to re-invent herself as a great and humble and wise artist and come up with a moving concept album that commented on the degraded state of contemporary society and chart us on a course back to re-capturing our lost collective humanity. but she just went back to being a dumb slut so now i’m counting on paris to do it. i like it when sucky people seek redemption and reinvent themselves as great, wonderful people. i’m always on the lookout for that. which is funny cuz it’s... not common.

Written By: philbo on 06/11/07 at 12:40 pm

No, I'm 26.

If hating Ms. Hilton and her airhead harlot brethren is a sign of psychosis, lock me up.

26?  ISTM that you need to grow up every bit as much as Ms Hilton does - what's there to hate, after all?  Yeah, Paris is a pointless waste of DNA, but hating things you don't like is a bit of a waste of effort, too.

God has given me this new chance."

er.. where does God come in this story?  Paris being in jail, out of jail, in jail (I was seriously considering writing a parody to the Hokey Cokey about this).. none of it was exactly divine intervention.  Is this a case of a felon "finding god" 'cause he/she thinks it'll appeal to the parole board?

Written By: Tia on 06/11/07 at 12:55 pm

26?  ISTM that you need to grow up every bit as much as Ms Hilton does - what's there to hate, after all?  Yeah, Paris is a pointless waste of DNA, but hating things you don't like is a bit of a waste of effort, too.
er.. where does God come in this story?  Paris being in jail, out of jail, in jail (I was seriously considering writing a parody to the Hokey Cokey about this).. none of it was exactly divine intervention.  Is this a case of a felon "finding god" 'cause he/she thinks it'll appeal to the parole board?
okay, admittedly at this point i’m sorta just having fun sticking up for paris and annoying the hell out of everybody now (oh, yeah, and did i tell you? OJ was framed!) but if she’s going to jail and she’s not even gonna appeal there’s not much point in her buttering anyone up or being falsely contrite. and she admitted she comes across as dumb! i have to admit that sorta surprised me.

who am i kidding? i’m sure she’ll just go back to being a trashy mattressback. but i love this idea that she’s going to have a total spiritual life change and this time next year she’s going to be competently co-hosting “the mcneil news hour” or spearheading a movement to halt the genocide in darfur or something.

Written By: philbo on 06/11/07 at 1:04 pm

... or spearheading a movement to halt the genocide in darfur or something.

She heads over there, and they'll start sending famine relief back to the US ;)

Written By: jackas on 06/11/07 at 2:09 pm

okay, admittedly at this point i’m sorta just having fun sticking up for paris and annoying the hell out of everybody now (oh, yeah, and did i tell you? OJ was framed!) but if she’s going to jail and she’s not even gonna appeal there’s not much point in her buttering anyone up or being falsely contrite. and she admitted she comes across as dumb! i have to admit that sorta surprised me.

who am i kidding? i’m sure she’ll just go back to being a trashy mattressback. but i love this idea that she’s going to have a total spiritual life change and this time next year she’s going to be competently co-hosting “the mcneil news hour” or spearheading a movement to halt the genocide in darfur or something.

Hey, at least she's having a moment of clarity.  It's a start.

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/11/07 at 2:19 pm

We should all just take a moment to see how beautiful her court drawing in Tia's sigline is!
If i ever find myself in court i want that artist to do me 8)

Written By: spaceace on 06/11/07 at 2:34 pm

As a former bratty rich kid who had everything taken (ripped) away from her . . . I'm going to say there is still hope for her.  My parents are upper class.  When I was 18, I ended up in Wernersville State Hospital.  (Those who know me, know why.)  You are forced to adjust quickly, you talk to people, who would normally be "beneath you".  I ended up discovering that my parent's never gave me what I needed.  To face myself and society.  So, don't dismiss Paris just yet . . . she may turn out to be a good kid after all. ;)

Written By: Henk on 06/11/07 at 4:08 pm

We should all just take a moment to see how beautiful her court drawing in Tia's sigline is!
If i ever find myself in court i want that artist to do me 8)

But...But...he/she's done Paris already. :-\\

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/11/07 at 5:15 pm

But...But...he/she's done Paris already. :-\\

Well,if he's/she's good enough for her...

Written By: statsqueen on 06/11/07 at 7:16 pm

That was acting? But Paris can't act. My cat can act better than she can.

Cat

I was going to say if she was "acting" dumb, she was a better actress than I gave her credit for because she had me totally convinced of her stupidity.  On the other hand, I don't even know your cat and bet it would do better than Paris in front of a camera.  Didn't she also say she wanted the media to pay attention to more important things (the first smart thing she's said in her life)?  If that was the case, they why go to all the trouble she has gone to in order to ensure her place in the headlines?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/07 at 7:39 pm

Success? It seems to me grandpa did the work and made the money.  What did Paris do?

I've known many drunken, flighty, promiscous bimbo primadonnas, but none of the got famous for it. 

If Paris is "successful" then we've reduced "success" to being rich and ostentatious.  I hope that's not the case, but it seems like is.
::)

Written By: Tia on 06/11/07 at 9:16 pm

Success? It seems to me grandpa did the work and made the money.  What did Paris do?

I've known many drunken, flighty, promiscous bimbo primadonnas, but none of the got famous for it. 

If Paris is "successful" then we've reduced "success" to being rich and ostentatious.  I hope that's not the case, but it seems like is.
::)
old money is success. wasn't that the innovation of the old horatio alger narrative, that here was a brand of success that didn't involve being born into the right lineage, and then spending your entire life working on convincing people you deserved all this good fortune that in fact had been dropped right into your lap? even though you didn't know what order to arrange the dinner forks? or with fitzgerald, the east egg vs. west egg thing... the "success" of the new money people was actually much more in question because they didn't know about the social trappings of wealth. i dunno, paris is very fitzgerald, conspicuous consumption and all that. i heard some comedian talking about her, some incident where apparently she runs out of gas and the paparazzi suddenly decide to show another face and offer to go on a run to the nearest gas station for her. "this incident was interesting," sez the comedian, "because when she runs out of gas she usually just buys another car."

or was the conspicuous consumption a way for new money to validate itself to old money? i forget, it's been a while since i read the great gatsby. but paris is this fusion of new and old money anyway, the richards family (*sigh*) always was, if middle-to-upper-middle class, never really rich. it was kathy richards who went the socialite direction and married into the hilton family and got the uberrich connection. the richardses were working stiffs, i think they said paris' grandfather was a carpet or mattress salesman or something. but now the richards family does quite well for themselves. richards: new money. hilton: old money. put em together, you get paris hilton.

god, i'm devoting way, way, way too much thought to this. :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/07 at 9:45 pm

old money is success. wasn't that the innovation of the old horatio alger narrative, that here was a brand of success that didn't involve being born into the right lineage, and then spending your entire life working on convincing people you deserved all this good fortune that in fact had been dropped right into your lap?

Sure, diamonds and caviar for me, hokey homespun homilies for you.  If you're poor it's because you have poor character.  I just quoted Burroughs below, and I think Burroughs captured the gristle beneath the surface of "Horatio Alger" --
"I got mine!  **** you!  Every crumb for himself!"
And that was the driving force behind Ronald Reagan's chipper grandfatherly countenance. 

even though you didn't know what order to arrange the dinner forks? or with fitzgerald, the east egg vs. west egg thing... the "success" of the new money people was actually much more in question because they didn't know about the social trappings of wealth. i dunno, paris is very fitzgerald, conspicuous consumption and all that. i heard some comedian talking about her, some incident where apparently she runs out of gas and the paparazzi suddenly decide to show another face and offer to go on a run to the nearest gas station for her. "this incident was interesting," sez the comedian, "because when she runs out of gas she usually just buys another car."

or was the conspicuous consumption a way for new money to validate itself to old money? i forget, it's been a while since i read the great gatsby. but paris is this fusion of new and old money anyway, the richards family (*sigh*) always was, if middle-to-upper-middle class, never really rich. it was kathy richards who went the socialite direction and married into the hilton family and got the uberrich connection. the richardses were working stiffs, i think they said paris' grandfather was a carpet or mattress salesman or something. but now the richards family does quite well for themselves. richards: new money. hilton: old money. put em together, you get paris hilton.

god, i'm devoting way, way, way too much thought to this. :-\\

Uh, no, I think you're onto something.  This is just F.Scott Fitzgerald with thongs instead of bloomers!  Paris is the new Daisy Buchanan!
;)

Written By: Tia on 06/11/07 at 10:34 pm

Sure, diamonds and caviar for me, hokey homespun homilies for you.  If you're poor it's because you have poor character.  I just quoted Burroughs below, and I think Burroughs captured the gristle beneath the surface of "Horatio Alger" --
"I got mine!  **** you!  Every crumb for himself!"
And that was the driving force behind Ronald Reagan's chipper grandfatherly countenance. 

Uh, no, I think you're onto something.  This is just F.Scott Fitzgerald with thongs instead of bloomers!  Paris is the new Daisy Buchanan!
;)
you can't talk about these things with a marxist. ::) :P although to be fair, i think you're calling out the horatio alger narrative instead of me per se, and yes, there's a seriously propagandistic aspect to that whole storyform, but at the same time i think it does speak to a way wealth is understood in america....

a part of the horatio alger thing, it's a carrot dangled in front of people's faces to make them work hard so that their proletarian labor value is available to be exploited and appropriated by the ruling class. i'm not using marxist terminology sarcastically here, there's a certain level in which marx was on to something and that's why, the current extremist right wing environment in america aside, his teachings have caught on in so many places around the world.

at the same time, though, there's also the fact that on a certain level the rich exist for our amusement. what's so interesting about the paris hilton thing, and why for so many people it's a source of incredible anger and so on and why for me i'm being so vociferous about this...

okay. let me come at it this way. friend of mine at work, did i tell you this? she's talking about, years ago she apparently spent the night in jail. so we're talking about, what's it like to spend the night in jail? well, it's awful. it was awful for her, i spent the night in jail once and it was awful for me. so we talk about the experience, the claustrophobia, the desire to claw through the bars until you wear your fingers off your hands, the terror at being put out in the "general population", the whole works. we have this conversation, and we agree.

ok.

so like three minutes later, the conversation veers over to paris hilton. and we're talking about, okay, she's in jail. she's crying her guts out in public and begging for mercy and basically losing her sheesh in public. i say, do you think this might be because her experience in jail is like what OURS was like? and suddenly co-worker totally changes her tune. oh, well, whatever, fudge paris, sez she. i dont care what happens to her. and i have to respond, but wait, isn't she now going through what WE went through? and we couldn't stand it, so why would we expect any human being to? whether we liked her or not?

i think the upshot of this is, my friend expects, and a lot of people expect, paris to be impervious to all human problems because she's rich. well, i'm sure she can buy a lawyer who can get her off? apparently not, cuz she's gonna have to serve 20-whatever days.well, she can appeal, right? isn't that what rich people do? um, no, she's said, inexplicably, that she's not going to appeal. and she has money falling not only out of her own ass but pretty much out of the ass of anyone who comes within a half mile of her. i'm sure she could buy high-priced lawyers to ride this thing into oblivion, but she's not. i dunno if that's because she's chosen not to or if it's because the system's actually working, for once, but whatever. there's not going to be an appeal.

okay. so. she's rich so im sure she can get a cushy minimum-security jail, goes the standard wisdom. well, apparently not, because i saw a picture of her cell and it actually looks pretty crappy. and it's evidently bad enough that it's made her sob her guts out and beg not to get put back in jail and go through all this public humiliation, which is pretty much what i would do if i knew the whole world was watching and i had been in jail and i didn't want to go back, because i REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like jail and quite frankly, between you and me... if i thought whining my way out of having to go to jail would get me out of it, i would effin' WHINE. i would do all sorts of things not to have to spend time in jail.

so. here's my point.

a lot of times people boil things down to economics. and 99.999% percent of things in this country DO boil down to economics, because this is a capitalist country and no system has been as weird about economics as capitalism since communism went down the tubes -- only communism was as absorbed as capitalism with the primacy of economics over every other aspect of human experience. which is why the two systems were in this bizarre love-hate relationship for the 50 years of the cold war.

okay. at the end of her own life paris is going to have to do her own dying, you know? and evidently, no matter how many bentleys and how many foul-mouth heiress boyfriends she's managed to get her hands on, she's apparently going to have to do her own time in jail. and if the going theory's that a part of the reason she's suffering so much is because she got hooked on coke and is now going to have to endure three weeks without it... i've done coke. and i can TOTALLY imagine going through agonizing withdrawal if i got used to sucking that down and then suddenly had to go three weeks without a fleck of it. coke is amazing. the irony is, the only reason i never got sucked into that vortex is, there's no way in hell i could ever afford it. if i had her kind of money, i could go down that road in a new york second. if you've never touched the stuff, you have no idea how seductive it is. you fall in love with cocaine, you really do. that's the part of your psyche that cocaine triggers, the part that's in love with life, that's intimate with those brief moments of ecstasy and connection. it's all phony and it's your nervous system lying to you because of what you've done to it, but that's what it feels like.

so.

basically, what i'm coming down to is, economic theory does not sum any of this up. suffering and ecstasy are human states on which money has a profound effect, but not so much that the relationship is one to one. pure marxism and pure capitalism both seem to be founded on the idea that economics can be made synonymous with the human condition, but you can never get rich enough to bribe death, and in poverty you can experience ecstasy.

Written By: Tia on 06/11/07 at 10:45 pm

sorry, i went off. :-[

Written By: jackas on 06/11/07 at 11:37 pm

Wow.  You typed that much and a grade wasn't depending on it. 

Written By: nally on 06/11/07 at 11:41 pm

should we add packerhawk24 to the list of crazies? 

I don't know where he would fit in though.  He's not at wkm82 warp speed yet, and he's got a ways to go to get to 5*19*86 territory.  He's hovering around the land of RheemO for now

Lol. When I first read Packerhawk's posts, I thought maybe he was that "ellipsis" guest, back under a different alias. ::) He kinda sounded like him. I could be wrong though.

Written By: nally on 06/11/07 at 11:43 pm

She brought it on herself and I agree she did the drime she should do her time. I must admit she has only ever entertained me on the worst dressed lists. That girl has a SHOCKING dress sense!

Agreed entirely. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever.

Written By: Tia on 06/12/07 at 4:49 am

you can't talk about these things with a marxist. ::) :P although to be fair, i think you're calling out the horatio alger narrative instead of me per se, and yes, there's a seriously propagandistic aspect to that whole storyform, but at the same time i think it does speak to a way wealth is understood in america....

a part of the horatio alger thing, it's a carrot dangled in front of people's faces to make them work hard so that their proletarian labor value is available to be exploited and appropriated by the ruling class. i'm not using marxist terminology sarcastically here, there's a certain level in which marx was on to something and that's why, the current extremist right wing environment in america aside, his teachings have caught on in so many places around the world.

at the same time, though, there's also the fact that on a certain level the rich exist for our amusement. what's so interesting about the paris hilton thing, and why for so many people it's a source of incredible anger and so on and why for me i'm being so vociferous about this...

okay. let me come at it this way. friend of mine at work, did i tell you this? she's talking about, years ago she apparently spent the night in jail. so we're talking about, what's it like to spend the night in jail? well, it's awful. it was awful for her, i spent the night in jail once and it was awful for me. so we talk about the experience, the claustrophobia, the desire to claw through the bars until you wear your fingers off your hands, the terror at being put out in the "general population", the whole works. we have this conversation, and we agree.

ok.

so like three minutes later, the conversation veers over to paris hilton. and we're talking about, okay, she's in jail. she's crying her guts out in public and begging for mercy and basically losing her sheesh in public. i say, do you think this might be because her experience in jail is like what OURS was like? and suddenly co-worker totally changes her tune. oh, well, whatever, fudge paris, sez she. i dont care what happens to her. and i have to respond, but wait, isn't she now going through what WE went through? and we couldn't stand it, so why would we expect any human being to? whether we liked her or not?

i think the upshot of this is, my friend expects, and a lot of people expect, paris to be impervious to all human problems because she's rich. well, i'm sure she can buy a lawyer who can get her off? apparently not, cuz she's gonna have to serve 20-whatever days.well, she can appeal, right? isn't that what rich people do? um, no, she's said, inexplicably, that she's not going to appeal. and she has money falling not only out of her own ass but pretty much out of the ass of anyone who comes within a half mile of her. i'm sure she could buy high-priced lawyers to ride this thing into oblivion, but she's not. i dunno if that's because she's chosen not to or if it's because the system's actually working, for once, but whatever. there's not going to be an appeal.

okay. so. she's rich so im sure she can get a cushy minimum-security jail, goes the standard wisdom. well, apparently not, because i saw a picture of her cell and it actually looks pretty crappy. and it's evidently bad enough that it's made her sob her guts out and beg not to get put back in jail and go through all this public humiliation, which is pretty much what i would do if i knew the whole world was watching and i had been in jail and i didn't want to go back, because i REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like jail and quite frankly, between you and me... if i thought whining my way out of having to go to jail would get me out of it, i would effin' WHINE. i would do all sorts of things not to have to spend time in jail.

so. here's my point.

a lot of times people boil things down to economics. and 99.999% percent of things in this country DO boil down to economics, because this is a capitalist country and no system has been as weird about economics as capitalism since communism went down the tubes -- only communism was as absorbed as capitalism with the primacy of economics over every other aspect of human experience. which is why the two systems were in this bizarre love-hate relationship for the 50 years of the cold war.

okay. at the end of her own life paris is going to have to do her own dying, you know? and evidently, no matter how many bentleys and how many foul-mouth heiress boyfriends she's managed to get her hands on, she's apparently going to have to do her own time in jail. and if the going theory's that a part of the reason she's suffering so much is because she got hooked on coke and is now going to have to endure three weeks without it... i've done coke. and i can TOTALLY imagine going through agonizing withdrawal if i got used to sucking that down and then suddenly had to go three weeks without a fleck of it. coke is amazing. the irony is, the only reason i never got sucked into that vortex is, there's no way in hell i could ever afford it. if i had her kind of money, i could go down that road in a new york second. if you've never touched the stuff, you have no idea how seductive it is. you fall in love with cocaine, you really do. that's the part of your psyche that cocaine triggers, the part that's in love with life, that's intimate with those brief moments of ecstasy and connection. it's all phony and it's your nervous system lying to you because of what you've done to it, but that's what it feels like.

so.

basically, what i'm coming down to is, economic theory does not sum any of this up. suffering and ecstasy are human states on which money has a profound effect, but not so much that the relationship is one to one. pure marxism and pure capitalism both seem to be founded on the idea that economics can be made synonymous with the human condition, but you can never get rich enough to bribe death, and in poverty you can experience ecstasy.
bump, dammit.

Written By: Tia on 06/12/07 at 5:56 am

"Hilton, who said other inmates had been friendly, added that her skin was very dry because she was not allowed any moisturizer."

Written By: karen on 06/12/07 at 6:11 am

"Hilton, who said other inmates had been friendly, added that her skin was very dry because she was not allowed any moisturizer."

Oh boo hoo

Written By: spaceace on 06/12/07 at 7:44 am

Oh boo hoo

She is probably adjusting in there.  She herself has probably started to become nice to people therefore that is reciprocated.  If she is on the Psych meds I thinks she's on.  Yeah, her skin will be dry.

They've given her a chemical lobotomy.  Whatever brains she did have are now gone.

Written By: Tia on 06/12/07 at 7:50 am

i was watching a little paris on youtube last night. one where she gets in this car with her drunk boyfriend who then tries to run over some reporters and they catch him in the car driving recklessly and saying “baby i’m even scaring myself” and paris is saying “then stop!” all kinda desperate cuz she thinks, not without cause, that he’s gonna get them killed driving all drunk. another one where she’s confronted by reporters in a parking garage and she sez, you can take a video but no pictures, okay? probably because she’s sick of the constant flashes, which i can’t say i blame her. then lindsay lohan comes out and whispers some catty crap about how paris hit her with a drink or something? i dunno, in the first one she comes off as being swept away by circumstance and then in the second one here she is making deals with these reporters, yanno? i dunno, she comes off fairly sympathetic.

Written By: spaceace on 06/12/07 at 7:59 am

i was watching a little paris on youtube last night. one where she gets in this car with her drunk boyfriend who then tries to run over some reporters and they catch him in the car driving recklessly and saying “baby i’m even scaring myself” and paris is saying “then stop!” all kinda desperate cuz she thinks, not without cause, that he’s gonna get them killed driving all drunk. another one where she’s confronted by reporters in a parking garage and she sez, you can take a video but no pictures, okay? probably because she’s sick of the constant flashes, which i can’t say i blame her. then lindsay lohan comes out and whispers some catty crap about how paris hit her with a drink or something? i dunno, in the first one she comes off as being swept away by circumstance and then in the second one here she is making deals with these reporters, yanno? i dunno, she comes off fairly sympathetic.

he whole scene is surreal.  No real norms apply.  So how can you apply the norms of "normal society" in her situation?  She was born into this kind of crap.  She is a product of that environment.  If the environment changes (which it has) she may adapt.  Which she has apparently.

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/12/07 at 9:14 am

Tia,i think we all agree with you,but you just chose the wrong person to be passionate about.
Paris is going through hard times now but in a second she'll bounce back,just like she did with the sex tape,in a way this is keeping her on the news,her life is not that interesting,really how much more footage can be done with her leaving a night club? Celebrities thrive on scandals,it's what keeps them up. I feel bad for Paris,she's just a young girl who did wrong and is paying for it,but will she learn from this? I doubt it,in fact i'm pretty sure she will have Anna Nicole's fate :(

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/12/07 at 9:24 am

You know what gets me??  The news release a couple days ago that stated she wasn't eating and drinking in jail because she was afraid to use the bathroom, for fear somebody would photograph her doing so....although she has no problem with sex tapes, flashing herself to the world to photograph and not showing one bit of modesty, and then comes up with this lame excuse for her actions in the pokey....

Written By: Tia on 06/12/07 at 9:38 am

there’s a big difference between consenting to something and having compromising pictures of you going all over against your will. it’s always a little scary to me when i run into somebody who doesn’t seem to discern the difference between consenting and not consenting. :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 06/12/07 at 9:47 am

I feel bad for Paris,she's just a young girl who did wrong and is paying for it,but will she learn from this? I doubt it,in fact i'm pretty sure she will have Anna Nicole's fate :(

Young girl??  She is 26 years old!  Young girl  ::)

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/12/07 at 9:50 am

there’s a big difference between consenting to something and having compromising pictures of you going all over against your will. it’s always a little scary to me when i run into somebody who doesn’t seem to discern the difference between consenting and not consenting. :-\\

I see...compromising pictures of yourself if consented to are less damning than compromising pictures of yourself taken without consent??

Does that mean flashing a pic of your crotch is ok as long as it's a consented flash??

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/12/07 at 9:53 am

Young girl??  She is 26 years old!  Young girl  ::)

You're right,i'm 28 and people keep saying i'm young,the nerve >:(

I see...compromising pictures of yourself if consented to are less damning than compromising pictures of yourself taken without consent??

Does that mean flashing a pic of your crotch is ok as long as it's a consented flash??

No means yes,in your book?

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/12/07 at 10:12 am

You're right,i'm 28 and people keep saying i'm young,the nerve >:(
No means yes,in your book?

Not in my book....

Making sure though, that being seen flashing your crotch as you get out of the car going clubbing, knowing the papparazzi are going to get "the shot"...and then having fits because somebody "might" see that same shot of you (but not staged) is a double standard to me, and the staged shot is held in more contempt to me....they know they're giving it, they know it's going to be plastered and they have no problems with it, so why suddenly have the modesty attack and say"it's the reason I acted like I did""??

It can't even be compared to lovemaking versus rape..no way, no how.....

Written By: Tia on 06/12/07 at 10:37 am

um. yes, pretty much. i'm not puritanical about that stuff.

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/12/07 at 10:39 am

Not in my book....

Making sure though, that being seen flashing your crotch as you get out of the car going clubbing, knowing the papparazzi are going to get "the shot"...and then having fits because somebody "might" see that same shot of you (but not staged) is a double standard to me, and the staged shot is held in more contempt to me....they know they're giving it, they know it's going to be plastered and they have no problems with it, so why suddenly have the modesty attack and say"it's the reason I acted like I did""??

It can't even be compared to lovemaking versus rape..no way, no how.....

But there is a huge difference! She can flaunt her crotch whenever she feels like it,and still she can get pissed off if she's photographed without knowing it,cause that's an invasion of privacy,at least around here it works like that,in the US maybe not ???

No,it can't be compared,but that's the same mentality behind "oh,she was asking for it",just saying.

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/12/07 at 10:41 am

um. yes, pretty much. i'm not puritanical about that stuff.

Neither am I...

I do however see big time hypocrisy in being aghast in flashing your crotch for public display taken inadvertantly, especially when you've made it a regular habit of making sure it gets flashed in numerous staged shots....

Written By: Tia on 06/12/07 at 10:45 am

again, i’d say consent is the key issue. if i decided tomorrow to appear in a porn flick i think i’d still reserve the right to demand that pictures of me sitting on the can don’t float around without my consent. that’s a separate question from the one of whether paris’ upskirt was in good taste.

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/12/07 at 10:47 am

if i decided tomorrow to appear in a porn flick

Tomorrow i'm busy,what about thursday,porn star? :D

Written By: Tia on 06/12/07 at 10:51 am

Tomorrow i'm busy,what about thursday,porn star? :D
i believe i can clear my calendar. 8)

Written By: jackas on 06/12/07 at 6:10 pm

that’s a separate question from the one of whether paris’ upskirt was in good taste.

Like this one?

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/343784/2/istockphoto_343784_stretch.jpg

Written By: nally on 06/12/07 at 6:28 pm

Like this one?

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/343784/2/istockphoto_343784_stretch.jpg

LOL :D ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/12/07 at 8:30 pm

Yeah being a porn star would be cool.

I'd like to star in a remake of the Johnny Wadd porn series.

;D ;D

Written By: Tia on 06/13/07 at 10:36 am

oh no! her talent agency fired her! oh no! :o

she needs your help now more than ever. please give generously to the Save Paris fund.

Written By: philbo on 06/13/07 at 11:08 am

oh no! her talent agency fired her! oh no! :o

She had a talent agency?  Presumably they fired her 'cause they couldn't find any...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/13/07 at 10:43 pm

Yeah being a porn star would be cool.

I'd like to star in a remake of the Johnny Wadd porn series.

;D ;D

You sure you got the right caliber for that, boy?
;)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/14/07 at 6:44 am

;)

and remember, this is the age of reality tv, the public demands live rounds, not someone shooting blanks.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 06/14/07 at 7:07 am

size doesn't matter.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/14/07 at 7:20 am

;)

Point of trivia:  One of my high school chums has won 4 Oscars for special effects in blockbuster movies.

So I do not think that *ahem* caliber is going to be a problem.  ;D ;D

Written By: jackas on 06/14/07 at 9:23 am

size doesn't matter.

That's not what Paris said.

Written By: Tia on 06/14/07 at 9:41 am

That's not what Paris said.
i wasnt talking about bank accounts!

oh, dear. i seem to have turned on my new hero.

Written By: philbo on 06/14/07 at 9:55 am

i wasnt talking about bank accounts!

oh, dear. i seem to have turned on my new hero.

You think she gets turned on that easily?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/27/07 at 2:58 pm

They're starving her!!!

Thank goodness.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

US Weekly Blacks Out Hilton Coverage

By JOHN ROGERS, Associated Press Writer

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Paris Hilton gets out of jail on Tuesday and she won't be on the cover of US Weekly on Friday? How, short of the Apocalypse, is this possible?

"When it came down to it, the staff and I felt what I believe a lot of people in America are feeling. Which is just enormous Paris fatigue," US Weekly Editor Janice Min told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

As a result, Hilton not only won't be on the cover, there won't even be a mention of her in the magazine.

"I don't think," Min joked, "we even mention the city of Paris."

That was no easy task, she said, adding US Weekly editors had to comb carefully through every beauty story and every fashion item to make sure there wasn't an offhand mention of the hotel heiress somewhere.

The Associated Press put in place a similar Hilton moratorium for a week earlier this year, just to see what would happen.

As it turned out, the celebutante didn't do much that was of interest to anyone that week. Certainly she didn't get out of jail and get chased across town by a pack of Hilton-hungry photographers.

Still, Min expects her magazine will do just fine without her. Hilton, she said, has become such a mainstream media staple "that in many ways her time with US Weekly has moved on."

So look instead for an US Weekly cover photo Friday of Tom Cruise's baby and, inside the magazine, a dozen pages of other Hollywood babies.

Which raises the question, what would US Weekly do if Paris Hilton had a baby?

"That will elevate her, probably, back onto the cover," Min said with a laugh.

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/07 at 3:03 pm

Gee, and here I thought she'd be on the cover of every entertainment magazine.  Good ol' Paris gets out of jail.  Put all other major news stories on the backburner cause this one takes precedence LOL

Written By: Tia on 06/27/07 at 3:17 pm

she's free! paris hearst hilton is finally free! at last our long national nightmare is over.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/27/07 at 3:26 pm

They're starving her!!!

Thank goodness.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

US Weekly Blacks Out Hilton Coverage

By JOHN ROGERS, Associated Press Writer

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Paris Hilton gets out of jail on Tuesday and she won't be on the cover of US Weekly on Friday? How, short of the Apocalypse, is this possible?

"When it came down to it, the staff and I felt what I believe a lot of people in America are feeling. Which is just enormous Paris fatigue," US Weekly Editor Janice Min told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

As a result, Hilton not only won't be on the cover, there won't even be a mention of her in the magazine.

"I don't think," Min joked, "we even mention the city of Paris."

That was no easy task, she said, adding US Weekly editors had to comb carefully through every beauty story and every fashion item to make sure there wasn't an offhand mention of the hotel heiress somewhere.

The Associated Press put in place a similar Hilton moratorium for a week earlier this year, just to see what would happen.

As it turned out, the celebutante didn't do much that was of interest to anyone that week. Certainly she didn't get out of jail and get chased across town by a pack of Hilton-hungry photographers.

Still, Min expects her magazine will do just fine without her. Hilton, she said, has become such a mainstream media staple "that in many ways her time with US Weekly has moved on."

So look instead for an US Weekly cover photo Friday of Tom Cruise's baby and, inside the magazine, a dozen pages of other Hollywood babies.

Which raises the question, what would US Weekly do if Paris Hilton had a baby?

"That will elevate her, probably, back onto the cover," Min said with a laugh.

What? Paris not on the cover? The horrors! The horrors! What is the world coming to?  ::)

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 06/28/07 at 11:30 am

I saw pictures of her during her interview with Larry King, she looks like she's going for sainthood.

Check for new replies or respond here...