inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should the Monkees be admitted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/07 at 4:39 pm

(I was going to put this on the "Before the '70s" board, but I decided it merits status as a current event.)

I say yes, and I signed the petition.
http://www.petitiononline.com/Kretch07/petition.html

Apparently, it is "Rolling Stone" magazine publisher Jann Wenner who is blocking the band's entry.
Wenner doesn't want them in because they didn't play their own instruments on their first records.  He's implying the Monkees are a fake band.  However, the Monkees do indeed know how to play their own instruments. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0705010167may03,1,7393947.story?coll=chi-entertainmentfront-hed

So what if the entertainment industry created the Monkees?  So what if they didn't get their start jamming Joe's garage?

The Monkees never pretended to be anything they weren't.  They were a bubblegum pop group whose purpose was light-hearted fun.  Yet how many hits did the band have?  How many songs did they make famous?  What was their influence on the industry? 

I think the Monkees have a legacy going back 40+ years.  They merit a place in Rock 'n' Roll history regardless of whether you like them or not.

And Jann Wenner should shut his piehole.  Whatever rebel/anti-establishment roots his magazine had disappeared decades ago.  If you bother to wade through the glossy pages of ads for BMWs, laptops, and Abercrombie & Fitch, you'll find trashy celebrity gossip, specious social commentary, and predictably biased music reviews.  The only reviewer who bothers with interesting music is David Fricke, but he's all obsessed with '70s prog rock, which gets tiresome---really tiresome--after a while.  Some of the political journalism is worthwhile, but it's hardly groundbreaking and rarely insightful.

Anyway, if a multi-millionaire publisher is going to be the arbiter of what is and is not great rock 'n' roll, then rock 'n' roll is finally dead.

Subject: Re: Should the Monkees be admitted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

Written By: spaceace on 06/15/07 at 6:05 pm

Of course I had to sign it!!!! :) :) :) :)

Written By: loki 13 on 06/15/07 at 7:02 pm

Absolutely......NOT! Then again, I don't think 90% of the bands in the hall of fame deserve to be there.
A hall of fame should be reserved for those who stand out in their field. Those who change the course of
the industry. The Monkees were a great novelty act, they excelled at what they did but nothing they did
deserves recognition of a hall of fame. The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who and even Elvis set the
standard as to what hall of fame status should be and in my opinion The Monkees just don't measure up
to that standard.

Written By: spaceace on 06/15/07 at 8:17 pm

Absolutely......NOT! Then again, I don't think 90% of the bands in the hall of fame deserve to be there.
A hall of fame should be reserved for those who stand out in their field. Those who change the course of
the industry. The Monkees were a great novelty act, they excelled at what they did but nothing they did
deserves recognition of a hall of fame. The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who and even Elvis set the
standard as to what hall of fame status should be and in my opinion The Monkees just don't measure up
to that standard.

Novelty act?  Give me a break.  ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/15/07 at 8:23 pm

I think so. I mean, if Elvis, a completely derivative act, can be in, why not them?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/15/07 at 8:57 pm

Why not?

Written By: danootaandme on 06/16/07 at 8:06 am

The R&R Hall of Fame, like the Baseball Hall of Fame isn't based on reality, it is based on popularity.  Although the greatest of the great cannot be ignored the fringe are let in based on the judgement of the not so objective judges.  It is all a moneymaking scam.

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/16/07 at 8:58 am

What big influence did The Who have?  Their music wasn't anything different than anything else going on at the time.  What about Pink Floyd? The Beatles, yes, because they were inventive and paved the way for the British Invasion.    My opinion anyway.  The Hall of Fame is about entertaining as well, I would think.  The Monkees had some fun, entertaining songs and were definitely not one hit wonders.  Any group that can make a comeback years later with a tour I think should get a chance to get in the HOF.

I have never really been a fan of the Rolling Stone magazine.  Only thing I really like is their influence on the song "On the Cover of Rolling Stone" by Dr. Hook.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/07 at 1:03 pm

Good points on both sides.  I think I wanted to slam Jann Wenner more than root for the Monkees.  I actually do like the Monkees and I have fond memories of watching the reruns and listening to the records in my childhood. 

Should qualifications for admittance to the RRHoF be a standard of demonstrable musical virtuosity?  And isn't that measure subjective...and narrow?  Who's to say?  Old hippies would never let Depeche Mode into the great Hall, and I would love to keep the Grateful Dead out as I believe they are the most overrated band in the history of rock music.  But that's silly.  There should be room for acts as disparate as the Dead, DM, and the Monkees.

I would want to admit people who were not necessarily rock musicians, eg:
Robert Moog, who developed the Moog synthesizer, which was the forerunner of what we think of as a "synthesizer."
Andy Warhol, who facilitated a lot of great pop culture through his Factory studio, particularly, the Velvet Underground, who in turn spawned Lou Reed and John Cale.
Bill Graham, the great rock concert promoter who was responsible for bulding the popularity of Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, Country Joe, and innumerable others.
The Fugs---what about them?  They never sold many records, but they had a significant impact on the counterculture. 

The standard should transcend individual tastes and simply as whether the artist in question made a significant impact in the poplarizing or development of rock music.  That's why I thought the Sex Pistols should be admitted.  Their music totally sucked, but their influence on post-1977 rock music cannot be overstated. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/17/07 at 1:14 am

I think they should let the Monkees in, so long as it can be determined that they never used steroids.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/17/07 at 6:20 am

Yes!

Written By: EdwardE on 06/17/07 at 6:36 am

That is one grand band

Written By: Dagwood on 06/17/07 at 10:01 am

Definitely.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/07 at 10:11 am

At one time in the USA The Monkees were out-selling The Beatles, and the more records sold means more popularity amongst the common people so, therefore The Monkees should be admitted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame right away.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/18/07 at 3:23 pm

Mojo Nixon - "Rock N' Roll Hall of Lame"

It's a crying shame
What they did to our thing.
All of the spirit out of it
They did drain.

On the shores of Lake Erie
Man, there is a committee.
It's a corporation don't know nothing 'bout fornication,
A sick abomination ought to be cast out of our nation!

It's a
(chorus:)
Rock n Roll Hall of lame
Rock n Roll Hall of shame
Rock n Roll Hall of lame

Why'd they put it in Cleveland?
Well you know it was because of the money.
Should be down in Memphis
You know that in your heart, sonny.
Black ties and limousines,
Sure is a real hoity toity scene.
But the spirit's all wrong;
It's Uptown and mean

Let me tell ya,

Real Rock n Roll's about cheap electrical guitars
And maps to secret places that serve underage kids in bars.

Not a
(chorus)

(guitar solo)

If it was really Rock n Roll,
They'd have a drug ATM.
There would be a drive-in movie theater
Showing Thunder Road and Vanishing Point.
It'd be a monument to teenage sex,
They'd be handin' out free copies of
On the Road, Fear & Loathing, and Steal This Book.
Would be givin' fake ID to teenagers
Because if you're under 21 but over 18 you should be able to drink.
It'd be a Rock n Roll, Rock n Roll, Rock n Roll, Rock n Roll, a really Rock n Roll Hall of Fame
But that ain't what it is.

It's nothing but a big lie.
Don't believe the big lie.
Rock n Roll never died.

Long as there's a 13 year old kid...
Long as on the planet Earth
There's a 13 year old kid wanting to masturbate on the playground and start singing like Little Richard
Rock n Roll will be here.

Because Rock n Roll's in the air, it's in your underwear, it don't care.
Rock n Roll's not in limousines.
Rock n Roll is not rich and mean.
Talking about the

(chorus to exit)

Over the exit chorus:
The Eagles? The Eagles? Who are you kidding? These putrid pop pukes belong in the whore hall of fame, that's where I'm gonna put The Eagles! You think Otis Redding's gonna be happy to see The Eagles? He's gonna kick Glenn Frye's ass!!!

Fleetwood Mac? Fleetwood Mac??? Jesus Christ! What is worse than Fleetwood Mac? The Archies or something? Oh, Christy McVie just looooves Rock n Roll. She looks like a damn housewife! Why don't you go to Celine Dion's house, and get buck naked, and I'm gonna get on top of both of them, make a videotape, make a lot of money!

Rock n Roll, Rock n Roll, Rock n Roll, Rock n Roll's in my soul!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/07 at 5:04 pm

Mojo Nixon - "Rock N' Roll Hall of Lame"

I can dig that.  Mojo Nixon alway had a way with words.  On the other hand, if it were up to Mojo, Depeche Mode would never get in the RRHoF.  DM qualified in 2006.

Written By: gemini on 06/18/07 at 5:50 pm

I say yes!

Written By: RTynanDDS on 06/20/07 at 1:48 pm

At one time in the USA The Monkees were out-selling The Beatles, and the more records sold means more popularity amongst the common people so, therefore The Monkees should be admitted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame right away.

Hmmm ... given that criteria, let's welcome these top-selling acts into the Hall of Fame: Hootie & the Blowfish, Britney Spears, Creed, Matchbox 20, Alanis Morissette, Jewel, Kid Rock, and Linkin Park. Sales may equal popularity among the "common people", but the criteria for the Hall of Fame should be a little more stringent. I love the Monkees music, and I do think they were influential, but I think their influence is seen more in 'NSync and the Backstreet Boys (groups manufactured specifically for popularity) than in any rock band playing today.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/07 at 3:39 pm

Hmmm ... given that criteria, let's welcome these top-selling acts into the Hall of Fame: Hootie & the Blowfish, Britney Spears, Creed, Matchbox 20, Alanis Morissette, Jewel, Kid Rock, and Linkin Park. Sales may equal popularity among the "common people", but the criteria for the Hall of Fame should be a little more stringent. I love the Monkees music, and I do think they were influential, but I think their influence is seen more in 'NSync and the Backstreet Boys (groups manufactured specifically for popularity) than in any rock band playing today.

Remember, an artist is not eligable until 25 years after their first release.  None of those acts would even qualify yet.

I restate, I believe there should be many criteria by which an artist can qualify.  I don't think it should be just up to what the snotty critics, how many units the artist, sold or whether the artist is considered "influential" at present; however, I do agree with a period of 25 years so the power of craze cannot dictate who gets in.  Otherwise, you might have Milli-Vanilli in there!

The Monkees were bubblegum, but they were not the 1910 Fruitgum Company or the Archies.  They have a loyal, transgenerational fanbase.  They were real musicians, not just pretty boys picked by TV producers.  Their songs also had top-notch writers, such as Neil Diamond, Boyce & Hart, and John Stewart (no, not Jon Stewart, John Stewart of the Kinsgston Trio, who wrote "Daydream Believer").  Wikipedia also notes the Monkees turned down "Sugar Sugar," which demonstrates some discriminating tastes on their part!

The Monkees also introduced the world to a young guitarist you might have heard of, a guy named Jimmi Hendrix, who opened for the Monkees on a mismatched bill! 

Far from resenting the Monkees, the Beatles were fans.  Contributing to the success of the band and the TV show were celebrities as disparate as Jack Nicholson, Frank Zappa, and Tim Buckley.

I think the Monkees demonstrated they were/are a great pop group in their own right as well as being a pop culture phenomenon with stunning staying power.  True, the actual TV show only ran from '66 through '68, but whenever the 58 episodes hit the reruns, they find an audience of all ages.  I'd watch a Monkees marathon!  As an admitted knock-off of the Beatles' promo films "Help" and "A Hard Day's Night," critics called the inane.  Sometimes it was, but we loved it just the same!
;)

Of course, there is no right or wrong answer to the question I pose in this thread.  It's just a matter of opinion, and you know mine.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/22/07 at 1:32 am

OK, I know this post is a little long-winded, but I think it shoots a hole in Jann S. Wenner's argument against letting the Monkees into the Hall of Fame.

This is a list of all the artists which have been inducted into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame since its inception in 1986. I have highlighted in boldface all of the artists who, to the best of my knowledge, never wrote their own songs or played their own instruments (which the Monkees eventually did in both cases and which is Wenner's reasoning behind not allowing them in).

Performer

* Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
    * Patti Smith
    * R.E.M.
    * The Ronettes
    * Van Halen

Performer

* Black Sabbath
    * Blondie
    * Lynyrd Skynyrd
    * Miles Davis
    * Sex Pistols

Lifetime Achievement

* Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss

Performer

* Buddy Guy
    * Percy Sledge
    * The O'Jays
    * The Pretenders
    * U2

Lifetime Achievement

* Frank Barsalona
    * Seymour Stein

Performer

* Bob Seger
    * George Harrison
    * Jackson Browne
    * Prince
    * The Dells
    * Traffic
    * ZZ Top

Lifetime Achievement

* Jann S. Wenner  (So apparently this jerk can vote himself in.  ::) ::) ::))

Performer

* AC/DC
    * Elvis Costello & the Attractions
    * Righteous Brothers
    * The Clash
    * The Police

Sidemen

* Benny Benjamin
    * Floyd Cramer
    * Steve Douglas

Non-Performer

* Mo Ostin

Performer

* Brenda Lee
    * Gene Pitney
    * Isaac Hayes
    * Ramones
    * Talking Heads
    * Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Sidemen

* Chet Atkins

Non-Performer

* Jim Stewart

Performer

* Aerosmith
    * Michael Jackson
    * Paul Simon
    * Queen
    * Ritchie Valens
    * Solomon Burke
    * Steely Dan
    * The Flamingos

Sidemen

* James Burton
    * Johnnie Johnson

Non-Performer

* Chris Blackwell

Performer

* Bonnie Raitt
    * Earth, Wind & Fire
    * Eric Clapton
    * James Taylor
    * Lovin' Spoonful
    * The Moonglows

Early Influence

* Billie Holiday
    * Nat "King" Cole

Sidemen

* Earl Palmer
    * Hal Blaine
    * James Jamerson
    * King Curtis
    * Scotty Moore

Non-Performer

* Clive Davis

Performer

* Billy Joel
    * Bruce Springsteen
    * Curtis Mayfield
    * Del Shannon
    * Dusty Springfield
    * Paul McCartney
    * The Staple Singers

Early Influence

* Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
    * Charles Brown

Non-Performer

* George Martin

Performer

* Fleetwood Mac
    * Gene Vincent
    * Lloyd Price
    * Santana
    * The Eagles
    * The Mamas and the Papas

Early Influence

* Jelly Roll Morton

Non-Performer

* Allen Toussaint

Performer

* Buffalo Springfield
    * Crosby Stills and Nash
    * Joni Mitchell
    * Parliament-Funkadelic
    * The (Young) Rascals
    * The Bee Gees
    * The Jackson Five

Early Influence

* Bill Monroe
    * Mahalia Jackson

Non-Performer

* Syd Nathan

Performer

* David Bowie
    * Gladys Knight and the Pips
    * Jefferson Airplane
    * Little Willie John
    * Pink Floyd
    * The Shirelles
    * The Velvet Underground

Early Influence

* Pete Seeger

Non-Performer

* Tom Donahue

Performer

* Al Green
    * Frank Zappa
    * Janis Joplin
    * Led Zeppelin
    * Martha and the Vandellas
    * Neil Young
    * The Allman Brothers Band

Early Influence

* The Orioles

Non-Performer

* Paul Ackerman

Performer

* Bob Marley
    * Duane Eddy
    * Elton John
    * John Lennon
    * Rod Stewart
    * The Animals
    * The Band
    * The Grateful Dead

Early Influence

* Willie Dixon

Non-Performer

* Johnny Otis

Performer

* Cream
    * Creedence Clearwater Revival
    * Etta James
    * Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
    * Ruth Brown
    * Sly and the Family Stone
    * The Doors
    * Van Morrison

Early Influence

* Dinah Washington

Non-Performer

* Dick Clark
    * Milt Gabler

Performer

* Bobby "Blue" Bland
    * Booker T. and the M.G.'s
    * Johnny Cash
    * Sam and Dave
    * The Isley Brothers
    * The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    * The Yardbirds

Early Influence

* Elmore James
    * Professor Longhair

Non-Performer

* Bill Graham
    * Doc Pomus
    * Leo Fender

Performer

* Ike and Tina Turner
    * Jimmy Reed
    * John Lee Hooker
    * LaVern Baker
    * The Byrds
    * The Impressions
    * Wilson Pickett

Early Influence

* Howlin' Wolf

Lifetime Achievement

* Nesuhi Ertegun

Non-Performer

* Dave Bartholomew
    * Ralph Bass

Performer

* Bobby Darin
    * Hank Ballard
    * Simon and Garfunkel
    * The Four Seasons
    * The Four Tops
    * The Kinks
    * The Platters
    * The Who

Early Influence

* Charlie Christian
    * Louis Armstrong
    * Ma Rainey

Non-Performer

* Gerry Goffin and Carole King
    * Holland, Dozier and Holland

Performer

* Dion
    * Otis Redding
    * Stevie Wonder
    * The Rolling Stones
    * The Temptations

Early Influence

* Bessie Smith
    * The Inkspots
    * The Soul Stirrers

Non-Performer

* Phil Spector

Performer

* Bob Dylan
    * The Beach Boys
    * The Beatles
    * The Drifters
    * The Supremes

Early Influence

* Lead Belly
    * Les Paul
    * Woody Guthrie

Non-Performer

* Berry Gordy, Jr

Performer

* Aretha Franklin
    * B.B. King
    * Big Joe Turner
    * Bill Haley
    * Bo Diddley
    * Carl Perkins
    * Clyde McPhatter
    * Eddie Cochran
    * Jackie Wilson
    * Marvin Gaye
    * Muddy Waters
    * Ricky Nelson
    * Roy Orbison
    * Smokey Robinson
    * The Coasters

Early Influence

* Hank Williams
    * Louis Jordan
    * T-Bone Walker

Non-Performer

* Ahmet Ertegun
    * Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
    * Jerry Wexler
    * Leonard Chess

Performer

* Buddy Holly
    * Chuck Berry
    * Elvis Presley
    * Fats Domino
    * James Brown
    * Jerry Lee Lewis
    * Little Richard
    * Ray Charles
    * Sam Cooke
    * The Everly Brothers

Early Influence

* Jimmie Rodgers
    * Jimmy Yancey
    * Robert Johnson

Lifetime Achievement

* John Hammond

Non-Performer

* Alan Freed
    * Sam Phillips

I may not be 100% accurate on this list, certainly there might be a few cases where I am wrong but you get my point. Also, I am in no way intending to detract from the inductees I've highlighted, nor am I questioning whether or not they deserve to be in the Hall.

I do however, feel that most of the inductees I've highlighted were selected mainly because of their vocal talents. That being the case, I feel I must argue that Micky Dolenz in particular was as fine of a vocalist as any of his era. Therefore, I feel that the Monkees are as deserving of induction as anyone else.

Written By: spaceace on 06/22/07 at 10:17 am

OK, I know this post is a little long-winded, but I think it shoots a hole in Jann S. Wenner's argument against letting the Monkees into the Hall of Fame.

This is a list of all the artists which have been inducted into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame since its inception in 1986. I have highlighted in boldface all of the artists who, to the best of my knowledge, never wrote their own songs or played their own instruments (which the Monkees eventually did in both cases and which is Wenner's reasoning behind not allowing them in).

Performer

* Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
    * Patti Smith
    * R.E.M.
    * The Ronettes
    * Van Halen

Performer

* Black Sabbath
    * Blondie
    * Lynyrd Skynyrd
    * Miles Davis
    * Sex Pistols

Lifetime Achievement

* Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss

Performer

* Buddy Guy
    * Percy Sledge
    * The O'Jays
    * The Pretenders
    * U2

Lifetime Achievement

* Frank Barsalona
    * Seymour Stein

Performer

* Bob Seger
    * George Harrison
    * Jackson Browne
    * Prince
    * The Dells
    * Traffic
    * ZZ Top

Lifetime Achievement

* Jann S. Wenner  (So apparently this jerk can vote himself in.  ::) ::) ::))

Performer

* AC/DC
    * Elvis Costello & the Attractions
    * Righteous Brothers
    * The Clash
    * The Police

Sidemen

* Benny Benjamin
    * Floyd Cramer
    * Steve Douglas

Non-Performer

* Mo Ostin

Performer

* Brenda Lee
    * Gene Pitney
    * Isaac Hayes
    * Ramones
    * Talking Heads
    * Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Sidemen

* Chet Atkins

Non-Performer

* Jim Stewart

Performer

* Aerosmith
    * Michael Jackson
    * Paul Simon
    * Queen
    * Ritchie Valens
    * Solomon Burke
    * Steely Dan
    * The Flamingos

Sidemen

* James Burton
    * Johnnie Johnson

Non-Performer

* Chris Blackwell

Performer

* Bonnie Raitt
    * Earth, Wind & Fire
    * Eric Clapton
    * James Taylor
    * Lovin' Spoonful
    * The Moonglows

Early Influence

* Billie Holiday
    * Nat "King" Cole

Sidemen

* Earl Palmer
    * Hal Blaine
    * James Jamerson
    * King Curtis
    * Scotty Moore

Non-Performer

* Clive Davis

Performer

* Billy Joel
    * Bruce Springsteen
    * Curtis Mayfield
    * Del Shannon
    * Dusty Springfield
    * Paul McCartney
    * The Staple Singers

Early Influence

* Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
    * Charles Brown

Non-Performer

* George Martin

Performer

* Fleetwood Mac
    * Gene Vincent
    * Lloyd Price
    * Santana
    * The Eagles
    * The Mamas and the Papas

Early Influence

* Jelly Roll Morton

Non-Performer

* Allen Toussaint

Performer

* Buffalo Springfield
    * Crosby Stills and Nash
    * Joni Mitchell
    * Parliament-Funkadelic
    * The (Young) Rascals
    * The Bee Gees
    * The Jackson Five

Early Influence

* Bill Monroe
    * Mahalia Jackson

Non-Performer

* Syd Nathan

Performer

* David Bowie
    * Gladys Knight and the Pips
    * Jefferson Airplane
    * Little Willie John
    * Pink Floyd
    * The Shirelles
    * The Velvet Underground

Early Influence

* Pete Seeger

Non-Performer

* Tom Donahue

Performer

* Al Green
    * Frank Zappa
    * Janis Joplin
    * Led Zeppelin
    * Martha and the Vandellas
    * Neil Young
    * The Allman Brothers Band

Early Influence

* The Orioles

Non-Performer

* Paul Ackerman

Performer

* Bob Marley
    * Duane Eddy
    * Elton John
    * John Lennon
    * Rod Stewart
    * The Animals
    * The Band
    * The Grateful Dead

Early Influence

* Willie Dixon

Non-Performer

* Johnny Otis

Performer

* Cream
    * Creedence Clearwater Revival
    * Etta James
    * Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
    * Ruth Brown
    * Sly and the Family Stone
    * The Doors
    * Van Morrison

Early Influence

* Dinah Washington

Non-Performer

* Dick Clark
    * Milt Gabler

Performer

* Bobby "Blue" Bland
    * Booker T. and the M.G.'s
    * Johnny Cash
    * Sam and Dave
    * The Isley Brothers
    * The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    * The Yardbirds

Early Influence

* Elmore James
    * Professor Longhair

Non-Performer

* Bill Graham
    * Doc Pomus
    * Leo Fender

Performer

* Ike and Tina Turner
    * Jimmy Reed
    * John Lee Hooker
    * LaVern Baker
    * The Byrds
    * The Impressions
    * Wilson Pickett

Early Influence

* Howlin' Wolf

Lifetime Achievement

* Nesuhi Ertegun

Non-Performer

* Dave Bartholomew
    * Ralph Bass

Performer

* Bobby Darin
    * Hank Ballard
    * Simon and Garfunkel
    * The Four Seasons
    * The Four Tops
    * The Kinks
    * The Platters
    * The Who

Early Influence

* Charlie Christian
    * Louis Armstrong
    * Ma Rainey

Non-Performer

* Gerry Goffin and Carole King
    * Holland, Dozier and Holland

Performer

* Dion
    * Otis Redding
    * Stevie Wonder
    * The Rolling Stones
    * The Temptations

Early Influence

* Bessie Smith
    * The Inkspots
    * The Soul Stirrers

Non-Performer

* Phil Spector

Performer

* Bob Dylan
    * The Beach Boys
    * The Beatles
    * The Drifters
    * The Supremes

Early Influence

* Lead Belly
    * Les Paul
    * Woody Guthrie

Non-Performer

* Berry Gordy, Jr

Performer

* Aretha Franklin
    * B.B. King
    * Big Joe Turner
    * Bill Haley
    * Bo Diddley
    * Carl Perkins
    * Clyde McPhatter
    * Eddie Cochran
    * Jackie Wilson
    * Marvin Gaye
    * Muddy Waters
    * Ricky Nelson
    * Roy Orbison
    * Smokey Robinson
    * The Coasters

Early Influence

* Hank Williams
    * Louis Jordan
    * T-Bone Walker

Non-Performer

* Ahmet Ertegun
    * Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
    * Jerry Wexler
    * Leonard Chess

Performer

* Buddy Holly
    * Chuck Berry
    * Elvis Presley
    * Fats Domino
    * James Brown
    * Jerry Lee Lewis
    * Little Richard
    * Ray Charles
    * Sam Cooke
    * The Everly Brothers

Early Influence

* Jimmie Rodgers
    * Jimmy Yancey
    * Robert Johnson

Lifetime Achievement

* John Hammond

Non-Performer

* Alan Freed
    * Sam Phillips

I may not be 100% accurate on this list, certainly there might be a few cases where I am wrong but you get my point. Also, I am in no way intending to detract from the inductees I've highlighted, nor am I questioning whether or not they deserve to be in the Hall.

I do however, feel that most of the inductees I've highlighted were selected mainly because of their vocal talents. That being the case, I feel I must argue that Micky Dolenz in particular was as fine of a vocalist as any of his era. Therefore, I feel that the Monkees are as deserving of induction as anyone else.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/notworthy.gif  You even spelled Micky Dolenz right.

Written By: limblifter on 06/22/07 at 11:15 am

The RnRHOF is a joke. I think the Monkees deserve to be inducted. I also can't understand why KISS aren't in there.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/25/07 at 12:19 pm

The RnRHOF is a joke. I think the Monkees deserve to be inducted. I also can't understand why KISS aren't in there.

Apparently this last time around, the Dave Clark Five were nominated and had enough votes to get in (they won by 6 votes, I'm not exactly sure how the process works), yet Jann Wenner used his veto power to override the vote and instead induct Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five since he felt this sudden urgent need to get a rap act into the Hall of Fame.

Besides, they let the freakin' Jefferson Airplane in, which I think is one of the lamest and most overrated bands ever. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, Napoleon XIV ("They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha, Ha!") deserves to be in the Hall of Fame more than the Airplane does.  ::)

Written By: loki 13 on 06/25/07 at 4:37 pm

I know this my opinion and that my opinion doesn't mean squat, but reading through the list above I only
see 9 artist that deserve Hall Of Fame Status and maybe 2 or 3 artist I wouldn't argue their induction. The
rest, no way, not in my hall. Take John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison for example. What have
they done in their solo careers to deserve Hall Of fame status? They built their legacy as The Beatles, They are
in the hall as The Beatles, deservingly so, but everything they've done since was just an offshoot of the legacy.
Their fan base and popularity was already created by The Beatles, so why the individual induction?

Other inductions are just so ridiculous they aren't even worth an argument. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/07 at 7:15 pm

I think AL-B proves my point. 
:)

Written By: spaceace on 06/25/07 at 8:19 pm

I know this my opinion and that my opinion doesn't mean squat, but reading through the list above I only
see 9 artist that deserve Hall Of Fame Status and maybe 2 or 3 artist I wouldn't argue their induction. The
rest, no way, not in my hall. Take John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison for example. What have
they done in their solo careers to deserve Hall Of fame status? They built their legacy as The Beatles, They are
in the hall as The Beatles, deservingly so, but everything they've done since was just an offshoot of the legacy.
Their fan base and popularity was already created by The Beatles, so why the individual induction?

Other inductions are just so ridiculous they aren't even worth an argument. :P

John Lennon thought the RRHOF was a joke.  Who are we to argue with the man?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/07 at 9:42 pm

John Lennon thought the RRHOF was a joke.  Who are we to argue with the man?

I was just saying, if the Ronettes, why not the Monkees?

Rock critics always seemed myopic and narrow-minded to me.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/25/07 at 10:52 pm

I think AL-B proves my point. 
:)

Thanks, Max!  ;)

I've never been to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, if I happened to be in Cleveland for whatever reason I'd probably check it out but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there. I'm sure they have some cool exhibits there but the Hall of Fame itself has absolutely no historical significance whatsoever (except maybe as a monument to the corporatization of rock n' roll).

If you are really passionate about rock music (as I am) and want to go someplace that really does have historical significance, skip Cleveland and go to Memphis instead. As I've mentioned in several previous posts, I went down there last November and toured Graceland, the Sun Records studio and the Gibson guitar plant, and it was an awesome experience.

Everyone needs to make the pilgrimage to Graceland at least once in their life. While I was there (and at the Sun studio), I met a few Brits who flew straight from the UK to Memphis just for that reason.  I highly doubt that there are very many people who fly to Cleveland to see the Hall of Fame for the same reason.

Check for new replies or respond here...