inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hip-Hops decline goes futher down the spiral:

Written By: tv on 06/17/07 at 9:14 pm

Well sales of hip-hop albums have declined to the point of getting outsold by genres such as country and metal. Hip-Hop used to outsell both country and metal but does not outsell those 2 genre's anymore. My opinion is why album sales of hiphop have declined since last year is a combo of increased "bootlegging of albums" if you will and that people are trired of todays rap music. Whats everybody's else's opinion of hip-hop getting passed in album sales by country and metal?

Subject: Re: Hip-Hops decline goes futher down the spiral:

Written By: whistledog on 06/17/07 at 9:42 pm

Today's rap and hip-hop all sounds the same.  I'm surprised U.S. sales haven't declined long ago.  Here in Canada, country and rock/metal have been outselling hip-hop for the longest time.  In the album charts, there are still lots of hip-hop/rap, but on the singles and airplay chart, it's only about 10% rap and hip-hop combined.  Alternative Rock and Country Music are a dominating force up here

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/17/07 at 10:06 pm

Doesn't really give me something to look forward to when I know that the Rascal Flats are a reason that this trend is taking place.  I like country, but cant stand them. 

Alot of rap isn't inventive anymore and I think people are tired of hearing them sing about the same things.  Im a gangsta, slap a ho, drug money, etc.  However, I could be wrong.

Written By: tv on 06/17/07 at 11:11 pm

Here's a stat so far this year for Hip album sales: Hip Hop album sales are down 33% and thats double the average industry of total album sales of all musical genre's album sales being down 16%-17%. Still hip-hop has releases coming from Kanye West and 50 Cent that are going to come out this year but I'm not sure how much 50 Cent can be factor in the music scene in 2007. He(50 Cent)was dominant in 2003 and 2005 as well in the way Mariah Carey was domaint in the 90's and Phil Collins was in the 80's in that every single he released would be money on the Billboard Hot 100. I have also heard  Eminem may release an album this year but I think his time of fame has maybe passed or at least the peak of his fame has passed him by.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/07 at 12:34 am

I think we're in a transition time.  CDs are becoming obsolete with the rise of the i-Pod and computer downloading.  The industry is faced with figuring out new ways of both selling music and quantifying the sales of music.  They'll figure it out.

Written By: La Roche on 06/18/07 at 12:36 am

Well, I don't know about country, but during the rap hey-dey from about '95-2004 the metal scene here in the U.S was pretty poor. It's only in the past few years that some new original bands have really been working to get out, tour, support the albums and get the sales going. Sure Pantera were dropping platinum albums in the 90's, but them and who else?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/18/07 at 2:12 am

Here's a stat so far this year for Hip album sales: Hip Hop album sales are down 33% and thats double the average industry of total album sales of all musical genre's album sales being down 16%-17%. Still hip-hop has releases coming from Kanye West and 50 Cent that are going to come out this year but I'm not sure how much 50 Cent can be factor in the music scene in 2007. He(50 Cent)was dominant in 2003 and 2005 as well in the way Mariah Carey was domaint in the 90's and Phil Collins was in the 80's in that every single he released would be money on the Billboard Hot 100. I have also heard  Eminem may release an album this year but I think his time of fame has maybe passed or at least the peak of his fame has passed him by.

Yeah, it doesn't surprise me. Mainstream hip hop and rap (from what I've observed at least) are kinda stale and have been since after 2005. I think it's partly from the decline of album sales as well as just more of it sucking, lol.

I agree that Eminem's peak time was probably 1999-2003. He's a big enough name with a core fanbase that I'm sure anything he releases will at least sell a decent amount, but his "glory days" are probably over. Probably nothing he does could really be as shocking as it already has been (part of his rebellious appeal almost the way, say Motley Crue were in the '80s), since people know what he's about.

While I slightly disagree with Max about the death of the CD, I think he's right that they're in a bit of a downturn compared to digital music, downloading or even watching videos on YouTube. They'll probably always exist at least residually because alot of people stil like having a "hard" copy. Physical music stores don't dominate the way they did in the pre-2002 time and especially before the Internet mainstreamized in 1997/'98, but they're still around.

Written By: Gis on 06/18/07 at 5:47 am

The title of this thread brings a warm glow to my heart.

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/18/07 at 6:08 am

Same here.......

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/07 at 9:14 am

The title of this thread are the sweet words in Christendom

Written By: EdwardE on 06/18/07 at 9:20 am

Blah!

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/18/07 at 9:34 am

I wonder if those 2 idiots Sharpton and Jackson try and take credit for it after the Imus deal??

Written By: Brian06 on 06/18/07 at 10:32 am

Sales are down because: people who like hip-hop generally don't care about or buy the albums anymore, someone has this big song which everybody rushes to limewire to download and then in about 3 months nobody cares about this rapper anymore. Country albums have always sold well so no surprise they outsell rap. Hip-hop right now is very much an of the moment thing with a lot of random no-names popping up with a big hit then disappearing in a few months. There were no really big rap albums in 2006 or in 2007 (well maybe T.I.'S king in 2006 though that still doesn't come close to some of the rap albums in 2005 or 2004), what was the last significant rap album, I would say Young Jeezy debut in late 2005 or Kanye's 2005 album. Since then no significant really notable rap albums. 50 Cent's new album is gonna flop so hard, seriously nobody cares about this guy anymore, his new songs are all flopping on the radio, album was delayed. Kanye's new album will probably sell well but will sell less than the last one since album sales are declining everywhere.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/18/07 at 11:49 am

Looking through my CD collection, the only hip-hop CD I purchased recently is Snoop Dogg's "Blue Carpet Treatment". Before that, it was Ludacris's latest album way back last fall. All my other CD's I bought recently are either pop (Gwen Stefani, Nelly Furtado) or r&b (Pretty Ricky, Omarion), and even a house CD (Miguel Migs). Also like MaxwellSmart mentioned, I haven't had a need to buy that many CD's lately because I get a lot of music on iTunes. This may be the last year that I buy CD's since I'm thinking of getting an iPod stereo system. The transition from CD's to downloads reminds me a lot of the transition from cassettes to CD's. What will they come up with next?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/07 at 5:08 pm

Well, I don't know about country, but during the rap hey-dey from about '95-2004 the metal scene here in the U.S was pretty poor. It's only in the past few years that some new original bands have really been working to get out, tour, support the albums and get the sales going. Sure Pantera were dropping platinum albums in the 90's, but them and who else?

I think the absolute nadir for metal was the early '90s.  Hungover from the butt-rock hair bands (Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Cinderella, etc) and in the grip of grunge, it would take several years for metal to get its bearings.

Most of the metal I hear nowadays comes from Europe, so I don't know about the state of American metal.

Written By: La Roche on 06/18/07 at 7:22 pm

I think the absolute nadir for metal was the early '90s.  Hungover from the butt-rock hair bands (Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Cinderella, etc) and in the grip of grunge, it would take several years for metal to get its bearings.

Most of the metal I hear nowadays comes from Europe, so I don't know about the state of American metal.

Really coming back now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/07 at 10:13 pm

Really coming back now.

Yes, but there's going to be a new zillion-selling trend in pop music, and I have a feeling it's going to be Hawaiian slack key guitar, it's time has come!
:D

Written By: La Roche on 06/18/07 at 10:17 pm

Yes, but there's going to be a new zillion-selling trend in pop music, and I have a feeling it's going to be Hawaiian slack key guitar, it's time has come!
:D

;D

Mongolian Throat Singing playa.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/07 at 12:54 am

;D

Mongolian Throat Singing playa.

"The Tuvan Two at 2:00"
(a feature on my ex-gf's cheesy world music radio program in the '90s)
:P

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/19/07 at 1:14 am

As far as post-1991 heavy metal goes, it seems to have been usually from bands like the semi commercialized Metallica or Megadeth. While I wouldn't call nu metal like Kid Rock, Korn or Linkin Park "heavy metal", that time in 1998/'99-2002 was the last period that genre of music seemed to be commercially popular at all.

There've been a few semi revivalists, like The Darkness, but they seemed to be perceived as more of a joke and weren't really taken seriously. Of course, I'm not much of a metal guy in general, so I don't know about the underground stuff.

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/19/07 at 10:26 am

Popularity mainly comes to radio play in my opinion. 

Heavy Metal got a big boost when MTV had head bangers ball. 

But, I think there were some successful heavier metal bands.  Godsmack is one of my favorites. 

Lincoln Park can be flushed down the toilet.  But, thats what people like.  The soft, whining bullcrap rock or country.   

Written By: La Roche on 06/19/07 at 2:51 pm

As far as post-1991 heavy metal goes, it seems to have been usually from bands like the semi commercialized Metallica or Megadeth. While I wouldn't call nu metal like Kid Rock, Korn or Linkin Park "heavy metal", that time in 1998/'99-2002 was the last period that genre of music seemed to be commercially popular at all.

There've been a few semi revivalists, like The Darkness, but they seemed to be perceived as more of a joke and weren't really taken seriously. Of course, I'm not much of a metal guy in general, so I don't know about the underground stuff.

Be very..very...very careful when talking about Megadeth or Dave in general.  ;)

There's a lot of great bands coming through, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Trivium etc.. as well as during the 90's Megadeth, Pantera and Anthrax having major success.

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/19/07 at 7:14 pm

Be very..very...very careful when talking about Megadeth or Dave in general.  ;)

There's a lot of great bands coming through, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Trivium etc.. as well as during the 90's Megadeth, Pantera and Anthrax having major success.

Speaking of Dave, he can play the guitar again.  :)  Good sheeshe. 

Written By: La Roche on 06/20/07 at 7:59 pm

Speaking of Dave, he can play the guitar again.  :)  Good sheeshe. 

He's been able to for ages, he's released three albums since the arm incident.

When I read that my world about stopped.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/07 at 10:19 pm

Oh yeah, even Metallica couldn't keep up with that guy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/21/07 at 1:55 am

It seems like pop music keeps getting more and more stupid and simple-minded with each passing year. The way it's going, I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years Top 40 radio has nothing but songs made by retarded kids beating pots and pans together.

Written By: Haynsoul on 06/21/07 at 4:11 am

It seems like pop music keeps getting more and more stupid and simple-minded with each passing year. The way it's going, I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years Top 40 radio has nothing but songs made by retarded kids beating pots and pans together.

No offense but the negative view a lot of people on this forum has is getting a little annoying. You guys are acting like pop culture will be this dull until the end of time or something. If you look at back on history, nothing lasted forever, the good and the bad.

Wasn't 40's and 50's music also dull and boring? Then the 60's and 70's came and revived pop culture and after that hip hop, grunge, etc. was invented. Right now it's getting boring again but I don't think we'll be listening to the same crappy southern rappers and awful pop songs in the next few decades.

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/07 at 1:38 pm

Oh yeah, even Metallica couldn't keep up with that guy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Favorite quote from Dave - "Both george Bush and Dick Cheney have been in jail more times than me, and I shoot heroin."

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/21/07 at 3:40 pm

No offense but the negative view a lot of people on this forum has is getting a little annoying. You guys are acting like pop culture will be this dull until the end of time or something. If you look at back on history, nothing lasted forever, the good and the bad.

Wasn't 40's and 50's music also dull and boring? Then the 60's and 70's came and revived pop culture and after that hip hop, grunge, etc. was invented. Right now it's getting boring again but I don't think we'll be listening to the same crappy southern rappers and awful pop songs in the next few decades.

That's true, every period has good and lousy music (as well as anything else). I do think the mainstream in the '80s and '90s is better than it has been since 2003. But I like some stuff and I always try to see the positives and get into anything I can. I can't logically diss the Zeroes when a few of my favorite songs have come from it (i.e. "Stacy's Mom", lol).

Written By: Brian06 on 06/21/07 at 5:01 pm

The reality is that the past always tends to seem better to people, because since it doesn't exist anymore we can remember in any way want and a lot of people form this rosy view of their past and tend to only remember the positive or then you have crappy music that because it's old it somehow magically becomes good. Now of course I'm guilty of this very thing myself sometimes, because well it's just human nature I guess. In 20 years the '00s will be just like the '80s I bet and magically they will become good to people, most '80s pop music was bubblegum fluff if you look at the charts, of course that's what '00s music is too, that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable however. Music doesn't have to be some kind of high quality art to be enjoyable.

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/07 at 5:56 pm

The reality is that the past always tends to seem better to people, because since it doesn't exist anymore we can remember in any way want and a lot of people form this rosy view of their past and tend to only remember the positive or then you have crappy music that because it's old it somehow magically becomes good. Now of course I'm guilty of this very thing myself sometimes, because well it's just human nature I guess. In 20 years the '00s will be just like the '80s I bet and magically they will become good to people, most '80s pop music was bubblegum fluff if you look at the charts, of course that's what '00s music is too, that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable however. Music doesn't have to be some kind of high quality art to be enjoyable.

Exactly.

It's all to do with what enjoys.

I feel that 1978 - 1988 was possibly the best period for music in the history of mankind.

That being said.. I hate.. with a capital H new wave. I mean, we're talking I punch the radio when that sh.it comes on. You take the bad with the good.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/22/07 at 1:00 am

We can only hope.

Besides, 40's and 50's music dull and boring? I would hardly put, say, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis into that category.

Written By: Haynsoul on 06/22/07 at 8:41 pm

We can only hope.

Besides, 40's and 50's music dull and boring? I would hardly put, say, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis into that category.

Compared to 60's and 70's music, it doesn't stand out that much. IMHO

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/23/07 at 4:39 am

No offense but the negative view a lot of people on this forum has is getting a little annoying.

Life sucks. We're all gonna die.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/23/07 at 5:08 am

Life sucks. We're all gonna die.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

And just to add to the enthuisiasm, not until we get all wrinkled up, have a bunch of physical and probably mental ailments as well..and have another round or two with those things called diapers again....welcome to the rest of our lives......

Written By: La Roche on 06/23/07 at 7:19 am

And just to add to the enthuisiasm, not until we get all wrinkled up, have a bunch of physical and probably mental ailments as well..and have another round or two with those things called diapers again....welcome to the rest of our lives......

Speak for yourself, I'm going hangliding.. with no lessons!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/23/07 at 11:08 am

I don't entirely agree with Haynsoul, but I think I can see where he's coming from. No doubt the '50s was important for commercializing rock and roll, but in a way, I almost see that as a "warmup" to the 1964+ time and especially the late '60s and beyond. The Beatles, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, British Invasion and girl groups were sort of the beginning of "modern" music, in the sense that it still gets played on the radio and doesn't entirely feel like oldies. Just because that formula still influences bands to this day.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/23/07 at 2:04 pm

Actually there was a lot of kickass music made back in the 40's and 50's. Count Basie? Benny Goodman? Duke Ellington? Chick Webb? Today they might seem like they're "old people's music," but back in their day they rocked. Charlie "Bird" Parker was to the saxophone what Hendrix was to the guitar. Elvis? He truly IS the King. (I didn't fully realize how awesome he truly was until I went to Graceland, everyone needs to make the pilgrimage at least once in their lives.)  Buddy Holly? Gifted musician and singer/songwriter who certainly would have been an enormous creative force in the 60's if his life had not been tragically cut short. Link Wray? Practically invented heavy metal back in 1958. Frank Sinatra? Probably the greatest singer of the 20th century (IMO, it's a tossup between him and Elvis). Dean Martin? The coolest man ever to walk the Earth. I can go on and on.

Don't get suckered into the myth that nothing important happened before the Beatles.

Written By: Haynsoul on 06/23/07 at 2:41 pm

Actually there was a lot of kickass music made back in the 40's and 50's. Count Basie? Benny Goodman? Duke Ellington? Chick Webb? Today they might seem like they're "old people's music," but back in their day they rocked. Charlie "Bird" Parker was to the saxophone what Hendrix was to the guitar. Elvis? He truly IS the King. (I didn't fully realize how awesome he truly was until I went to Graceland, everyone needs to make the pilgrimage at least once in their lives.)  Buddy Holly? Gifted musician and singer/songwriter who certainly would have been an enormous creative force in the 60's if his life had not been tragically cut short. Link Wray? Practically invented heavy metal back in 1958. Frank Sinatra? Probably the greatest singer of the 20th century (IMO, it's a tossup between him and Elvis). Dean Martin? The coolest man ever to walk the Earth. I can go on and on.

Don't get suckered into the myth that nothing important happened before the Beatles.

You can name all the famous people you want but if you ask anyone nowadays how much musical celebrities they know from the 50's and 40's, all they'll mention is Elvis.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/23/07 at 3:33 pm

You can name all the famous people you want but if you ask anyone nowadays how much musical celebrities they know from the 50's and 40's, all they'll mention is Elvis.

I wasn't trying to name "famous people" or "musical celebrities." I was just making the point that there was a lot of great musicians and singers from that era and that the music they made was far from being "dull and boring."

Written By: Haynsoul on 06/23/07 at 6:00 pm

I wasn't trying to name "famous people" or "musical celebrities." I was just making the point that there was a lot of great musicians and singers from that era and that the music they made was far from being "dull and boring."

I already know that. I'm just saying that most people NOW view those days as dull and boring.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/23/07 at 6:06 pm

The "modern" era started in 1967, with presages in the mid '60s.

I personally acknowledge the talent of '40s crooners and oldies rockers of the '50s, but other than a few Elvis songs and some other scattered songs from the '50s and early '60s, I never got into it much personally.

Written By: fusefan on 06/24/07 at 12:15 pm

I agree. We tend to look at the past with rose colored glasses and forget about all the negative things that happened then.  And I guess if this message board was around in the 80s there will be people complaining about how the quality of music isn't up to par like it was in the 60s. And I also bet in 2027 people my age will be talking about how awful 2020s music is compaired to the way it was 20 years ago. So yeah, right now it may seem awful but these songs will be the golden oldies of the future like it or not.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/07 at 10:21 pm

I have a simple theory for why people (myself included) sometimes look at things from the past, even more controversial/bad things, as "innocent". And that's because we already know the outcome of everything, so it doesn't have the apprehensive feeling of not knowing the way it does when it's actually occuring. In pop culture terms, it's apparent that Twisted Sister and Ozzy and other c. 1985 metal didn't make the world crash to a screeching halt, and not every teen who listened to them turned into a criminal (even if Tipper Gore at the time may have disagreed). Same with Elvis shaking his hips being like the end of Western Civilization, lol.

This basically holds true for personal things as well - like if you've already made it through a tough time in your life, it doesn't seem as bad as something you might be experiencing at the moment.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/25/07 at 2:31 am

I already know that. I'm just saying that most people NOW view those days as dull and boring.

Why do you hate me?  ???

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crucified.gif

Written By: Haynsoul on 06/25/07 at 3:35 am

Why do you hate me?  ???

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crucified.gif

uh...? So if I disagree with you that means I hate you?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/25/07 at 11:30 am

uh...? So if I disagree with you that means I hate you?

I'm just messing with you.  ;)

Written By: Haynsoul on 06/26/07 at 1:08 am

I'm just messing with you.  ;)

Ok  :(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/29/07 at 3:00 am

Ok  :(

<-----------That guy's a dick.  :o :o :o

Written By: rock and rye on 06/29/07 at 11:13 am

i don't really care what happens to mainstream hip hop. tha wicked sh!t never was popular in the mainstream so we don't have anything to lose anyway haha

Check for new replies or respond here...