inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: US town set to ban saggy trousers

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/07 at 2:47 am

A mayor in the US state of Louisiana says he will sign into law a proposal to make wearing saggy trousers an act of indecent exposure.

Delcambre town council unanimously passed the ordinance earlier this week making it a crime to wear trousers that show underwear.

"If you expose your private parts, you'll get a fine" of US$500 (£254) Mayor Carol Broussard said.

Offenders will also risk up to six months in jail.

Read more here.

Subject: Re: US town set to ban saggy trousers

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/07 at 2:57 am

Does this mean Louisiana will be filled with people wearing skin tight pants now?  lol

Written By: danootaandme on 06/19/07 at 4:50 am

I heard about this, kinda weird.  They are trying to legislate the droopy pants thing, I don't think they really can though.  Construction workers everywhere have been showing worse for decades, someone should tell guys with beer guts that it is time to put away the 501s and time to get on the coveralls(and I mean all)

http://images.inmagine.com/168nwm/creatas/cr15369/cr15369025.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/19/07 at 6:04 am

What's next?  Banning white pants after Labor Day?

Or fining people who violate the sanctity of Straw Hat Day?

Written By: Haynsoul on 06/19/07 at 6:12 am

It's just one of those old farts trying to stop those "dang kids" from ending the world again.  ::)

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/19/07 at 10:23 am

Darn, no more looking at thongs.  >:(    ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 06/19/07 at 11:33 am

Darn, no more looking at thongs.   >:(     ;D

;D  ;)  You don't have to worry about it--you live in VA not LA!  Here's a towel, mop up your k/b before it shorts out!  :P  (I knew we could count on you for an opinion about the wrongness of it all! Thanks!) 

Written By: Marian on 06/19/07 at 2:06 pm

So losing a lot of weight could get you in trouble???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/07 at 2:10 pm

Tighten your belts!

Written By: La Roche on 06/19/07 at 3:13 pm

I wear jeans that fit me.. and a belt.. and when I bend over to pick something up.. I can pretty much guarantee your gonna get at least a little bit of crack.. or possibly the top of my underwear.. so, how exactly does one enforce such a law. I wanna be the guy checking out everyones ass!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/07 at 3:15 pm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/43046000/jpg/_43046293_saggyap203b.jpg

As display in the above image, this is what the authorities wish to ban. Please note a belt is being worn.

Written By: La Roche on 06/19/07 at 3:16 pm

As display in the above image, this is what the authorities wish to ban. Please note a belt is being worn.

I must admit, that seeing people wearing their trousers around their knees makes me a laugh at their obvious stupidity.. but at the end of the day, it dosen't hurt anybody. I've never seen anybodys dick through their underwear.. I've never paid that much attention.

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/07 at 3:19 pm

without baggy pants, how will the world survive without being able to make jokes about the infamous plumber's crack ;D

Written By: Tam on 06/19/07 at 3:22 pm

I wear jeans that fit me.. and a belt.. and when I bend over to pick something up.. I can pretty much guarantee your gonna get at least a little bit of crack.. or possibly the top of my underwear.. so, how exactly does one enforce such a law. I wanna be the guy checking out everyones ass!  ;D

You WOULD! ;D

Here's the thing for me. The Son wears his jeans at his hips, with a belt BUT his shirts are always long enough to cover. Most times, if you could see his waistline, you might see the top of his boxers, and trust me if this is the case - I am on him to pull his jeans up! Personally, I don't understand how it could be comfortable to have the waist of your jeans tightened with a belt around your thighs. I have watched kids around here try running with their jeans that low, and most times they can't even get 3 steps without reaching down to their knees to hold their jeans up!

They like baggy clothes.... PLEASE! So does my son! He is so skinny that I have to buy him 33" waist jeans to get the little bit of baggy going on, then he has has HAS to wear a belt or he doesn't wear the jeans at all!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/07 at 3:22 pm

I must admit, that seeing people wearing their trousers around their knees makes me a laugh at their obvious stupidity.. but at the end of the day, it dosen't hurt anybody. I've never seen anybodys dick through their underwear.. I've never paid that much attention.
Thank goodness underwear is been worn.

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/19/07 at 3:31 pm

;D   ;)  You don't have to worry about it--you live in VA not LA!  Here's a towel, mop up your k/b before it shorts out!   :P  (I knew we could count on you for an opinion about the wrongness of it all! Thanks!)   

Oh, my keyboard is fine.  There are no girls with thongs here.    ;D

But its still a tragedy of immense proportions. 

Written By: statsqueen on 06/19/07 at 3:35 pm

Oh, my keyboard is fine.  There are no girls with thongs here.    ;D

But its still a tragedy of immense proportions. 

I'm sure that upon reading your post, there will be several females on here telling you that they are. lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/07 at 5:00 pm

A couple of weeks ago, we saw some kid walking down the street with his pants almost to his knees. He had a hard time walking because he was trying to hold his pants up with his hips. Carlos & I just laughed at him. But, if these kids were smart, they would know that the girls like to see guys wearing pants that FIT (I don't mean skin-tight but just enough to show what is underneath.  ;) ). It wouldn't surprise me if these kids today who wear their pants like that end up having back problems some day because they don't walk right.

That being said, as for a city trying to ban it, I think is absurd. It is freedom of expression-even though I don't care for the style at all.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/19/07 at 5:47 pm

A couple of weeks ago, we saw some kid walking down the street with his pants almost to his knees. He had a hard time walking because he was trying to hold his pants up with his hips. Carlos & I just laughed at him. But, if these kids were smart, they would know that the girls like to see guys wearing pants that FIT (I don't mean skin-tight but just enough to show what is underneath.  ;) ). It wouldn't surprise me if these kids today who wear their pants like that end up having back problems some day because they don't walk right.

That being said, as for a city trying to ban it, I think is absurd. It is freedom of expression-even though I don't care for the style at all.

Cat

Makes me yearn for the good old days when life was much simpler and men were men.  :)  None of this baggy-pants nonsense.

Back in '78, a guy would dress up for the disco by donning a silk shirt and designer jeans.  And slip a zucchini in his pants for effect.

;D ;D

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/19/07 at 5:48 pm

I'm sure that upon reading your post, there will be several females on here telling you that they are. lol

I meant in my immediate area.    ::)

Written By: statsqueen on 06/19/07 at 6:45 pm

I meant in my immediate area.     ::)

lol Poor baby    ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/07 at 7:46 pm

Makes me yearn for the good old days when life was much simpler and men were men.  :)  None of this baggy-pants nonsense.

Back in '78, a guy would dress up for the disco by donning a silk shirt and designer jeans.  And slip a zucchini in his pants for effect.

;D ;D

A zucchini? And you know this by personal experience?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/07 at 8:41 pm

;D ;D

Back in the Disco pantsuit days it took two pairs of pliers to get 'em up around your waist!  If you think the "cameltoe" is a new phenomenon, you missed those polyester roller disco queens!
:o

Of course you had to pack a zucchini, all that booger sugar made the real one shrivel up like a salted snail!

:P

How gangsta baddazz can you really get in Rutland?  C'mon!

OK, what it is...it's like a Pastor Niemoller thing.  First they came for the baggy pants.  I said nothing.  Then they came for the saggy pants.  I said nothing.  Next thing you know they're gonna come after my floods, and there'll be no one left to speak up!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: Red Ant on 06/20/07 at 2:49 am

Just when I thought US Law couldn't get any more ridiculous...

Saggy pants = indecent exposure? I hope this rather asinine law stays in Louisiana.  Actually, I hope it gets shot down in flames. I've seen people wear saggy pants: if anything, they would be charged with insufficient exposure.

What next? Arresting pregnant women for wearing a two piece? Displaying a treasure trail gets you the chair?

How is showing underwear the same as showing your privates? Unless it's transparent underwear...

I'd like to rant more on this topic, but I need to get the hot links off of the grill before they burn. I'm not wearing my robe either - boxer shorts will do fine at 10 to 4am.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/20/07 at 6:02 am

A zucchini? And you know this by personal experience?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

There was a joke at the time where a worldly gentleman provided this advice to his socially-impaired protege:  "Buddy, just stick a zucchini in your pants and the women will flock to you."  :)

The protege took this advice, but within a few hours returned to his mentor, clearly frustrated.' They didn't flock to me, everybody laughed at me.  I was the laughingstock of the disco floor."  :(

The mentor stepped back, looked at his student and then exclaimed "You were supposed to put the zucchini in the FRONT, stupid!"  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Gis on 06/20/07 at 6:23 am

Just when I thought US Law couldn't get any more ridiculous...

Saggy pants = indecent exposure? I hope this rather asinine law stays in Louisiana.  Actually, I hope it gets shot down in flames. I've seen people wear saggy pants: if anything, they would be charged with insufficient exposure.

What next? Arresting pregnant women for wearing a two piece? Displaying a treasure trail gets you the chair?

How is showing underwear the same as showing your privates? Unless it's transparent underwear...

I'd like to rant more on this topic, but I need to get the hot links off of the grill before they burn. I'm not wearing my robe either - boxer shorts will do fine at 10 to 4am.

Have you seen the state of some of that underwear *shudder*

Written By: Marian on 06/20/07 at 4:37 pm

gross!

Written By: Marian on 06/20/07 at 4:39 pm

Have you seen the state of some of that underwear *shudder*
I was at carl's jr once and a woamn had a stain which obviously meant she had crapped her pants! :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/20/07 at 5:08 pm

There was a joke at the time where a worldly gentleman provided this advice to his socially-impaired protege:  "Buddy, just stick a zucchini in your pants and the women will flock to you."  :)

The protege took this advice, but within a few hours returned to his mentor, clearly frustrated.' They didn't flock to me, everybody laughed at me.  I was the laughingstock of the disco floor."  :(

The mentor stepped back, looked at his student and then exclaimed "You were supposed to put the zucchini in the FRONT, stupid!"  ;D ;D ;D

I have heard that one.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/21/07 at 2:05 am

Surely this ordinance will not go without protest from the United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 06/21/07 at 5:20 am

Surely this ordinance will not go without protest from the United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters.  ;D
Ah yes the good old builder's cleavage...............

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/21/07 at 9:57 am

As stupid as this proposal is, I'm surprised this is the first time somebody has made a big deal out of it (lawfully, I mean). Baggy pants have been popular since 1991 in some form or another, lol. Some of the older kids around 12 or 13 years old who I rode the school bus with then, had those sorta MC Hammer/Kris Kross, cheesy hip hop-styled parachute pants.

Written By: Marian on 06/21/07 at 12:34 pm

As stupid as this proposal is, I'm surprised this is the first time somebody has made a big deal out of it (lawfully, I mean). Baggy pants have been popular since 1991 in some form or another, lol. Some of the older kids around 12 or 13 years old who I rode the school bus with then, had those sorta MC Hammer/Kris Kross, cheesy hip hop-styled parachute pants.
I would say since the 80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/21/07 at 12:39 pm

I would say since the 80s.

But 1990 and early 1991 were the '80s. ;D (Sorry, just had to throw that in there, since those discussions have always prevailed on this board.)

Seriously, in the real '80s, ripped jeans and generally tighter pants were more the style. Brands like Jordache were big too.

Written By: tv on 06/21/07 at 5:17 pm

But 1990 and early 1991 were the '80s. ;D (Sorry, just had to throw that in there, since those discussions have always prevailed on this board.)

Seriously, in the real '80s, ripped jeans and generally tighter pants were more the style. Brands like Jordache were big too.
1990 and 1991 were the 80's? I would have to say no and that 1989/1990-1991 was its own period musically anyway.

Written By: tv on 06/21/07 at 5:20 pm

Well I would have to say 1994-2002 maybe were the fashonable period for baggy pants but I don;t see many kids(though maybe occasionally) wearing their pants down to their knees anymore.

Written By: spaceace on 06/21/07 at 5:49 pm

What is the purpose of having your pants all the way down to your knees in public?  I just don't get it . . . or maybe I'm just getting old. ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/21/07 at 5:51 pm

What is the purpose of having your pants all the way down to your knees in public?  I just don't get it . . . or maybe I'm just getting old. ::)

Maybe they just really really REALLY had to go #2...

Written By: spaceace on 06/21/07 at 5:54 pm

Maybe they just really really REALLY had to go #2...

You always have such a wonderful way of clarifying things.  that would also explain the facial expression that I see along with it. ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/21/07 at 5:59 pm

You always have such a wonderful way of clarifying things.  that would also explain the facial expression that I see along with it. ;D

But see, if they're constipated, they shouldn't have to have their pants down because they could hold it by default...unless they'd just scarfed down an antacid or some Mexican food :o

Written By: spaceace on 06/21/07 at 6:06 pm

But see, if they're constipated, they shouldn't have to have their pants down because they could hold it by default...unless they'd just scarfed down an antacid or some Mexican food :o

I think it's an unwritten law that they don't jeopardize themselves in that manner. :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...