inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rosie O'Donnell wants Price Is Right job

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/19/07 at 7:46 pm

Just noticed this on Yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070619/ap_en_tv/people_rosie_o_donnell

Well, what do you think?

Would you approve of Rosie as the new host of TPIR?

IMHO, I can't see it.
Most of us grew up with Bob Barker, and now that he’s gone from the show, its hard to see anyone take his place, much less Rosie O'Donnell. ::)

Don't get me wrong she has a lot of fans (and a lot of people who are NOT her fans too) but I'd be concerned that somehow her politics would come into play, and I don't think CBS really wants that kind of drama mixed up in one of the greatest games show of all time.

Subject: Re: Rosie O'Donnell wants Price Is Right job

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/19/07 at 7:47 pm

wow...you and I must think alike...because I JUST posted this same thing in this section! ;D

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/19/07 at 7:54 pm

wow...you and I must think alike...because I JUST posted this same thing in this section! ;D

Yep, I guess we both have the same bad feelings about the subject! ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 06/19/07 at 7:56 pm

Yeah I just saw this on Yahoo myself and thought WTF Rosie, no way! There's gotta be better candidates for a successor than Rosie lol.  ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/19/07 at 8:01 pm

I'm gonna delete my thread, no sense in having 2 of the same! LOL! ;D

Anyway, IMO..she is the LAST person that I would ever want to try to fill Bob Barker's shoes. PuLEEEZE!! ::)

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/07 at 8:08 pm

If Rosie O'Donnell becomes host of TPIR, it will effectively end the longest running game show in history

I know John O'Hurley and ET reporter Mark Steines are also up for consideration, and both of them would do a good job in the role.  I really like O'Hurley as a game show host. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/19/07 at 8:30 pm

If Rosie O'Donnell becomes host of TPIR, it will effectively end the longest running game show in history

I know John O'Hurley and ET reporter Mark Steines are also up for consideration, and both of them would do a good job in the role.  I really like O'Hurley as a game show host. 

Yes, I agree. I think that John O'Hurley would be a good host.  Rosie will just single-handedly ruin the show.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/07 at 8:33 pm

They won't be able to call it "The Price is Right" anymore.  Have to change it to something like:
"The Price is....your partially digested breakfast!"
:-\\

Written By: Red Ant on 06/19/07 at 11:19 pm

Anyway, IMO..she is the LAST person that I would ever want to try to fill Bob Barker's shoes. PuLEEEZE!! ::)

I suppose Michael Jackson would be worse, but yeah, I agree with you.

I think many people will stop watching it no matter who takes over. If Rosie hosts it, I give it 6 months before she's gone or the show is cancelled.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/19/07 at 11:59 pm

I think Whistledog should host it.  ;D

I think they should start out with another no-name person and let the crowd get to know them.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/20/07 at 2:42 am

I can't imagine Rosie being the new host of the Price is Right. Now that I think of it, I can't imagine ANYONE taking Bob Barker's place!

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/20/07 at 5:36 am

Who will the girls give a kiss on the cheek?  LoL.  Although Rosie would probably like it, im not sure the majority of contestants would.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/20/07 at 5:51 am

It would be OK if Rosie hosted one show..

They could then have a special celebrity contestant, "Happy Gilmore".

Happy loses at Plinko and then says "The price is WRONG, Rosie" and then hauls off and punches her out.

Yeah, I'd tune in to see that.   ;D

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/20/07 at 6:10 am

It would be OK if Rosie hosted one show..

They could then have a special celebrity contestant, "Happy Gilmore".

Happy loses at Plinko and then says "The price is WRONG, Rosie" and then hauls off and punches her out.

Yeah, I'd tune in to see that.   ;D

LoL

Written By: statsqueen on 06/20/07 at 7:24 am

The first time I heard about this was a headline that said Bob Barker supports Rosie as the next host.  I personally can't see it.  She is a talk show host type, not a game show host type.  IMO everyone who has posted remarks about her political views and dominant personality are right on target.  The poor contestants would never get a word in edgewise.  She knows there is no time for a monolog, right?  I don't know if John O'Hurley or the ET dude would be better, but they would certainly have to be better than Rosie.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 3:22 pm

I can't imagine Rosie doing it. ;D Even when I first knew of her when she hosted a standup comedy show on VH1 c. 1991, she could be a little obnoxious. I'll always think of John O'Hurley as Mr. Peterson, lol. He has a good enough personality to pull it off (even if nobody could replace Bob Barker).

Written By: nally on 06/20/07 at 3:29 pm

I can't imagine Rosie being the new host of the Price is Right. Now that I think of it, I can't imagine ANYONE taking Bob Barker's place!

Me neither. When I heard about this yesterday, I thought, "WTF?" ::)

I think its ratings would definitely plummet if she took over; she doesn't seem like the type of person that could host this type of show.

I'll always think of John O'Hurley as Mr. Peterson, lol. He has a good enough personality to pull it off (even if nobody could replace Bob Barker).

Yeah, he seems like a more reasonable successor to me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 3:55 pm

I think noncontroversial people that tend to have mass appeal are the best hosts. People who can be a cool part of the show, but don't really define it (for instance, Jerry Springer has often said this about himself, that the guests are the "stars" and he's just like the cool uncle-type that everyone likes).

If someone like Rosie hosted it, she could eclipse the image of the show itself - like people who dislike her might not want to watch it at all, or vice versa with her hardcore fans.

Written By: nally on 06/20/07 at 3:58 pm

I'm not saying I dislike her; however I do feel that she can be annoying at times. ::) I just can't see her hosting a tv game show that's been successful for the past few decades.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/07 at 3:59 pm

I think Don Imus should be the new host.  He needs a new gig and it would really spice things up!
:D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 4:04 pm

I'm not saying I dislike her; however I do feel that she can be annoying at times. ::) I just can't see her hosting a tv game show that's been successful for the past few decades.

It's cool man, I didn't mean you. ;) I just meant she herself might sway the audience one way or the other from people watching it, especially for potential fans of the show who might dislike her.

Written By: nally on 06/20/07 at 4:08 pm

It's cool man, I didn't mean you. ;) I just meant she herself might sway the audience one way or the other from people watching it, especially for potential fans of the show who might dislike her.

...which I strongly agree with.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 06/20/07 at 6:47 pm

If Rosie gets it, that's the end of me watching the show. I can't stand her. I haven't liked her since she was a VJ on VH-1 in the 80's.
John O'Hurley I think would be a good choice.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 7:07 pm

If Rosie gets it, that's the end of me watching the show. I can't stand her. I haven't liked her since she was a VJ on VH-1 in the 80's.
John O'Hurley I think would be a good choice.

Sorry to threadjack, but since I'm an old-school VH1 aficionado.... ;)

I didn't know she actually was an on-air personality, although I can remember her in some of the promos for Standup Spotlight or other contests they did. Basically I first watched it at the very end of 1990 (when they had the cutout, blocky logo and had advertizements such as Open 24 Hours a Day With the Greatest Hits of Music Video). By then, I don't remember any of the VJs being dedicated to on-air stuff that much at the time. Although there was one announcer dude with a distinct voice who occasionally appeared in animated form inbetween the videos to annouce them.

I'm guessing this was more like c. 1988?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/07 at 7:27 pm

Actually,  I haven't watch Price is Right since I was home from school sick when I was a kid.  You know, when your temperature cracks 101 degrees F, you'll watch anything to take your mind off how rotten you feel!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad4.gif

Written By: Dagwood on 06/20/07 at 9:56 pm

No, that would be so wrong.  Rosie would not work on TPIR.  I could see John O'Hurley, though.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/21/07 at 12:46 am

I don't care if I won a brand new Escalade, two Harley-Davidsons and a trip around the world on the Showcase Showdown, I still wouldn't want to hug Rosie.  ::)

Maybe Mr. Peterman might work, he seems to have this kind of goofy charm that could work well with the show.

Otherwise, they ought to just end it.

Written By: statsqueen on 06/21/07 at 8:58 am

What a relief!  I, like so many, took Bob Barker's comments to mean he was endorsing Rosie.  I just skimmed an article on msn.com that he is not, in fact, endorsing her or any other candidate for his job.  Whew!

Written By: Mushroom on 06/21/07 at 5:10 pm

What is the new name of ths show going to be?  The Price Is Left?

Of course, this should be interesting because TPIR is one of the most blatant shows on TV in support of Consumerism and Capitolism.  I have never really watched the show, because it is so much of a "Buy me because you have to" type of show.

Written By: nally on 06/21/07 at 8:15 pm

Otherwise, they ought to just end it.

Or maybe, they might end it...and try to revive it later on. But the revival (with whatever host) might be a flop. :-\\

I remember after Match Game ended its long run with Gene Rayburn as the emcee, there were two short-lived revivals of it, in 1990-91, and 1998. Actually I don't remember the original Match Game being on (it was on before my time), but I do remember watching the early 90's revival with Ross Schafer (sp?) as the host.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/07 at 10:06 pm

What is the new name of ths show going to be?  The Price Is Left?

That's what Dennis Miller said.
::)

Of course, this should be interesting because TPIR is one of the most blatant shows on TV in support of Consumerism and Capitolism.  I have never really watched the show, because it is so much of a "Buy me because you have to" type of show.

Consumerism yes.  Capitalism, not really.
Here's an idea:
A hedge fund game show!
;)

Written By: Mushroom on 06/22/07 at 10:37 am

That's what Dennis Miller said.

I actually had no idea, since I can't remember the last time I have seen him on anything.  The last week, I have been busy watching Roots, North & South, and last night I finally saw Letters From Iwo Jima.

I really have very little time or interest in watching political pundits.

Written By: statsqueen on 06/22/07 at 10:50 am

I actually had no idea, since I can't remember the last time I have seen him on anything.  The last week, I have been busy watching Roots, North & South, and last night I finally saw Letters From Iwo Jima.

I really have very little time or interest in watching political pundits.

How was Letters...?

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/22/07 at 11:10 am

I would much rather see a completely unknown person take over the show.  I think John O'Hurley is way too dramatic for the show.  And Rosie is not right for it either. 

Written By: Mushroom on 06/22/07 at 11:28 am

How was Letters...?

Absolutely awesome.  It meshes in perfectly with Flags Of Our Fathers, and they both sit side-by-side in my DVD collection.

I started to reply more, but realized this is not the place.  SO am going to make a post in the "More Then A Decade" forum.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/22/07 at 2:03 pm

I would much rather see a completely unknown person take over the show.  I think John O'Hurley is way too dramatic for the show.   And Rosie is not right for it either. 

I'll do it!

Lorac, COME ON DOWN!  YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU are the next contestant on The Price is RIGHT!

W00T!

Written By: Mushroom on 06/22/07 at 2:27 pm

I have a better idea for a new host:  Gedde Watanabe.

Maybe the producers of TPIR will look at this as an audition tape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_FoUcDSFxs

Written By: Dagwood on 06/23/07 at 9:27 pm

:lol  That was great, Mushroom.  I love the idea of the Donger being host.  ;D

Written By: annonymouse on 06/24/07 at 4:53 pm

she's too loud and obnoxious to handle that kind of a show. i hate rosie o'donnell.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/24/07 at 5:02 pm

I'll do it!

Lorac, COME ON DOWN!  YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU are the next contestant on The Price is RIGHT!

W00T!

ooh ooh  I wanna be picked.  I could always use another new Queen Mattress Set from Stearns and Foster or a year's supply of Turtle Wax.  I promise I won't wear a tube top as I run down the aisle to contestant's row.  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 06/27/07 at 3:42 pm

:lol  That was great, Mushroom.  I love the idea of the Donger being host.  ;D

Johnny Olson:  Come on down!  Your the first contestants on The Price Is Right!

Kuni:  All right contestants.  The first item up for bid is this Alaskan Flounder.  It weighs in at 50 pounds.  Now how much is this fish?

Contestant 1:  $120

Contestant 2:  {looks to audience for help}  Uhh, $200

Contestant 3:  $201 Kuni.

Contestant 4:  $202

Kuni:  OK, and the actual price of this fish is...  $100.  You all loose!  You are all so stupid!  STUPID!!!!!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...