inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did reality TV kill VH1's music-related programming?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/22/07 at 11:26 am

Even though they've always evolved over the years, in the late '90s or even up through, like 2002, they still had a focus on music. That was when Behind the Music was at its peak, and they still had video countdowns from time to time, or even blocks of videos by more popular artists such as Madonna. That was sort of the last era that was tied to its early days in a way. However, once they dropped the Music First circular logo c. 2003, and started doing reality shows like Surreal Life or Flavor of Love, or focusing more on celebrities than music, I think that was one of the biggest shifts.

VH1 always sort of follows MTV with either a more toned-down, watered-out version of whatever they're doing for the moment, and/or appealing to the audience of their previous era. Like, in 1991 it was very similar to mid '80s MTV from what I know (i.e. music videos around the clock, lots of focus on '80s artists, not much if any heavy metal or hip hop).

Although you could say they're still sort of mirroring MTV with reality shows, it's almost more like an E! clone now.

Subject: Re: Did reality TV kill VH1's music-related programming?

Written By: woops on 06/22/07 at 1:44 pm

Yes, though MTV had reality garbage a decade before it took over the airwaves  ::) :P

Written By: Mushroom on 06/22/07 at 1:45 pm

Just like their parent network MTV, VH1 now has almost nothing to do with music.  The music has all been relegated to a 2 hour block in the morning.  Instead it is nothing but stupid reality TV shows, and crapumentaries.  I am very thankfull though for having Free-To-Air, so I can watch VH1 Classic.

I think MadTV said it best on what killed MTV-VH1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP5LbZbYoiY

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/22/07 at 2:41 pm

Just like their parent network MTV, VH1 now has almost nothing to do with music.  The music has all been relegated to a 2 hour block in the morning.  Instead it is nothing but stupid reality TV shows, and crapumentaries.  I am very thankfull though for having Free-To-Air, so I can watch VH1 Classic.

LOL, I remember seeing that skit c. 1999. Even though Mad TV, of course, exaggerates things for humorous effect, this probably wasn't far from the truth!

Ironically, even though I like alot of their early-mid '90s non-musical shows, such as Beavis and Butthead, that's probably where the roots of the present day programming came from. Especially The Real World. VH1 just followed them, probably when Behind The Music and their late '90s era started wearing off. They're usually about 3-5 years behind MTV.

Written By: tv on 06/23/07 at 12:00 am

Even though they've always evolved over the years, in the late '90s or even up through, like 2002, they still had a focus on music. That was when Behind the Music was at its peak, and they still had video countdowns from time to time, or even blocks of videos by more popular artists such as Madonna. That was sort of the last era that was tied to its early days in a way. However, once they dropped the Music First circular logo c. 2003, and started doing reality shows like Surreal Life or Flavor of Love, or focusing more on celebrities than music, I think that was one of the biggest shifts.

As far as VH1 is concerned I used to watch VH1 in the early 2000's but I have tuned it out I mean who cares about a reality show about Flavor Flav who hasn;t been relevant in the music scene since 1991(when he was with famed rap group "Public Enemy".)

Written By: tv on 06/23/07 at 12:05 am

Although you could say they're still sort of mirroring MTV with reality shows, it's almost more like an E! clone now.
Yeah it is sort of a E channel clone although E! does have good biographies on the celebrties themselves. I've had enough of VH1! now I hardky even watch them anymore if ever it all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/07 at 1:08 am

That's why I was grateful for YouTube.  I could watch the videos I wanted to watch when I wanted to watch them.  Then the Viacom said, "No way, copyright infringement, the artist doesn't get compensated, you guys have to take those videos down."

OK, so now I don't get to watch the videos I like, and the artist  doesn't still get paid 'coz your networks won't run them anyway.

But, hey, it's less important to us for artists to make money than it is to make sure the consumer doesn't get something for free! God forbid!
::)

"Reality TV" is just an amplification of the entertainment trends Christopher Lasch discussed in his 1979 book "The Culture of Narcissism."  Self-absorbed, myopic, and inane.  As far as I'm concerned, "Reality TV" is analogous to drinking ones own urine.
:P

Written By: whistledog on 06/23/07 at 1:36 am

There should be a network solely devoted to Reality Shows, which would finally bring back quality television to major networks.  MTV would play Music Videos, CBS/NBC and ABC would show more sitcoms and dramas.  And maybe there would actually be cartoons on Saturday Mornings lol

Written By: Red Ant on 06/23/07 at 1:54 am

I wished they had mentioned Viacom(munism), but right on. What's a real shame is that video is apparently 8 years old, and was a good two years behind the ball...

There should be a network solely devoted to Reality Shows ...

A channel I would no doubt remove from my TV's programming. Most so-called "reality shows" are so fake and unoriginal they make Milli Vanilli look like Led Zeppelin.

Written By: statsqueen on 06/23/07 at 6:42 pm

There should be a network solely devoted to Reality Shows, which would finally bring back quality television to major networks.  MTV would play Music Videos, CBS/NBC and ABC would show more sitcoms and dramas.  And maybe there would actually be cartoons on Saturday Mornings lol

I agree, then we wouldn't be bombarded with them on the "regular" networks.  But I also agree w/ Red Ant that I wouldn't watch it.  The only difference is there would be an entire network I could avoid and I wouldn't have to worry about which network I had to avoid on which night at which time.

Written By: whistledog on 06/23/07 at 9:25 pm

I wished they had mentioned Viacom(munism), but right on. What's a real shame is that video is apparently 8 years old, and was a good two years behind the ball...

A channel I would no doubt remove from my TV's programming. Most so-called "reality shows" are so fake and unoriginal they make Milli Vanilli look like Led Zeppelin.

Reality TV is more fake than Sylvia Browne's psychic abilities ;D

The talent related shows like 'America's Got Talent' or 'American Idol' are watchable, but ones like 'The Bachelor' or 'Who Wants to Marry My Dad' are just ridiculous.  NBC actually stated that they are dumping sitcoms and opting for reality shows because they are cheaper and easier to make, because they don't require scripts.  I am scared to see what TV will be like 20 years from now.  If it's this crappy now, just how crappier can it get? :(

Written By: statsqueen on 06/23/07 at 9:36 pm

Reality TV is more fake than Sylvia Browne's psychic abilities ;D

The talent related shows like 'America's Got Talent' or 'American Idol' are watchable, but ones like 'The Bachelor' or 'Who Wants to Marry My Dad' are just ridiculous.  NBC actually stated that they are dumping sitcoms and opting for reality shows because they are cheaper and easier to make, because they don't require scripts.  I am scared to see what TV will be like 20 years from now.  If it's this crappy now, just how crappier can it get? :(

Like I say, don't ask the question if you don't want to know the answer!  (And that is one answer I don't want!!!)  j/k  ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/23/07 at 11:08 pm

I only watch VH1 when those I Love the 70's/80's shows come on. I just ignore the rest because they don't appeal to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...