inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A&W Commercial: Good or Bad?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/24/07 at 10:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7GOn2ggg3E

There has been a mild internet controversy over this now-playing ad for A&W.  Is it a fine response to McDonald's "USDA" commercials?  Is it too patriotic?  Is it jingoism?  Or do you wonder why anyone would even think twice about it?

Subject: Re: A&W Commercial: Good or Bad?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/07 at 12:18 pm

It's just a silly TV comercial if you ask me; it's a little fastfood chain desperate for an edge on the big boys!

I want some American food, dammit, I want French Fries!
:P

Written By: spaceace on 06/24/07 at 12:52 pm

Actually A&W is a small enough chain it can still use "American Cattle Carcass".  McDonald corporation is huge.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/07 at 12:56 pm

Actually A&W is a small enough chain it can still use "American Cattle Carcass".  McDonald corporation is huge.

We don't have an A&W anywhere around here so the point is moot.

Written By: spaceace on 06/24/07 at 12:58 pm

Neither do we.

The commercial is clearly misrepresenting it's company.

Written By: annonymouse on 06/24/07 at 4:48 pm

i've seen 2 in my entire life. one in a small town near atlanta and another in the columbus airport. and ya know what, i could care less if the meat is from new zealand, as long as it comes from a cow, i'm happy. i don't like mcdonalds anymore anyways. i don't know why, it just makes me feel sick. however, i still love wendy's, and their new commercial. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2208833643796449598

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/07 at 4:56 pm

i could care less if the meat is from new zealand, as long as it comes from a cow, i'm happy.

What is wrong with meat from other animals?  Is simply that cow meat tastes better? ???

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/07 at 6:45 pm

We have A&W's all over Canada, but they are totally different from the American ones.  I'm actually surprised the American chains are now selling Papa Burgers.  They stole that from Canada :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/24/07 at 10:06 pm

We have A&W's all over Canada, but they are totally different from the American ones.  I'm actually surprised the American chains are now selling Papa Burgers.  They stole that from Canada :P

Ya, I just noticed the sign advertising that at our local A&W.

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/07 at 10:51 pm

They are very large burgers.  You should see the Grandpa Burgers.  3 patties in one burger :o 

I once saw someone finish off 3 of them in one sitting, but what's more shocking is that he ate all three, plus 3 fries and three root beers, in the time it took for me to eat my single sized meal :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/24/07 at 10:54 pm

They are very large burgers.  You should see the Grandpa Burgers.  3 patties in one burger :o 

I once saw someone finish off 3 of them in one sitting, but what's more shocking is that he ate all three, plus 3 fries and three root beers, in the time it took for me to eat my single sized meal :o

oh wow...that's like..totally gross! :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/07 at 12:17 am

What is wrong with meat from other animals?  Is simply that cow meat tastes better? ???

More to the point...

If it's horseburger don't tell me it's beef-burger.  Horse meat per se is illegal to sell for human consumption in some states.  I don't agree with that.  You should be able to market it, just identify it as horsemeat.  If you want to open a horseburger stand called Mr. Ed's, you should be alllowed to do it in a free market. I, the consumer, will decide if I want to stop in for a Big Ed!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/25/07 at 12:47 am

I think A&W is doing what KFC is doing, like bringing back it's buckets of chicken now, when they didn't have them for years.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/07 at 6:01 am

More to the point...

If it's horseburger don't tell me it's beef-burger.  Horse meat per se is illegal to sell for human consumption in some states.  I don't agree with that.  You should be able to market it, just identify it as horsemeat.  If you want to open a horseburger stand called Mr. Ed's, you should be alllowed to do it in a free market. I, the consumer, will decide if I want to stop in for a Big Ed!

Fair 'nuff...  ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/07 at 6:04 am

I'll bet that guy has a couple boxes of Colon Blow in his pantry, and the phone number of the local Roto Rooter operator stuck to his refrigerator.  ;D ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/07 at 1:06 pm

I'll bet that guy has a couple boxes of Colon Blow in his pantry, and the phone number of the local Roto Rooter operator stuck to his refrigerator.   ;D ;D

well, he was a big 300 some pound fat guy, so I bet he spends a lifetime crapping out the slop he eats LOL

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/07 at 3:17 pm

well, he was a big 300 some pound fat guy, so I bet he spends a lifetime crapping out the slop he eats LOL

It reminds me of the way my big fat friend Steve used to scarf down Big Macs one after another.  Just keep your hands and feet away from his mouth!

Written By: McDonald on 06/25/07 at 7:01 pm

I usually just go for the Teen Burger. One patty is enough for me. Say, did you see the commercial for A&W where the family goes to A&W and the dad orders a Papa Burger for himself, a Mama Burger for the wife, and two Teen burgers for the son and his young wife, but when they get to the table, the dad notices that he got a Grandpa Burger, and it was the son who ordered it in for him on purpose to tell him that his wife was preggers...? Such a cheesy little commercial, but I guess it does the trick.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/07 at 7:17 pm

I usually just go for the Teen Burger. One patty is enough for me. Say, did you see the commercial for A&W where the family goes to A&W and the dad orders a Papa Burger for himself, a Mama Burger for the wife, and two Teen burgers for the son and his young wife, but when they get to the table, the dad notices that he got a Grandpa Burger, and it was the son who ordered it in for him on purpose to tell him that his wife was preggers...? Such a cheesy little commercial, but I guess it does the trick.

Why I know the Preggers!
;)

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/07 at 9:44 pm

That commercial gets me everytime.  It sure does do the trick

Those Teen Burgers are quite filling.  I usually (for obvious reasons) get a Whistle Dog LOL

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/27/07 at 1:59 am

Hey, at least McDonald's isn't using British beef.  :o :o :o

Written By: annonymouse on 06/27/07 at 10:35 pm

Hey, at least McDonald's isn't using British beef.  :o :o :o

what a nightmare that would be!  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/07 at 11:05 pm

I'll bet that guy has a couple boxes of Colon Blow in his pantry, and the phone number of the local Roto Rooter operator stuck to his refrigerator.   ;D ;D

Don't forget Super Colon Blow.

We've got a new roast beef joint in town.  I learned my lesson about the SUPER size sandwich.  That was more red meat than suitable for any creature with an intestinal tract more than 10 feet long!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/help.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...