inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 3 billion people have cell phones

Written By: Plato on 06/27/07 at 10:22 am

3 billion people have cell phones worldwide, and by 2008 half of the world's population will live in cities!

Subject: Re: 3 billion people have cell phones

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 10:37 am

3 billion people have cell phones worldwide, and by 2008 half of the world's population will live in cities!
...but what is the proprotion of the world's population is that?

Written By: karen on 06/27/07 at 10:44 am

...but what is the proprotion of the world's population is that?

Just under half.  The population is about 6.6 billion and rising

http://www.ibiblio.org/lunarbin/worldpop

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 10:52 am

Just under half.  The population is about 6.6 billion and rising

http://www.ibiblio.org/lunarbin/worldpop
So I belong to the (about) half that does not own a mobile phone.

Written By: La Roche on 06/27/07 at 11:58 am

... and within the next 30 years, around 3 billion people will be added to the population again, do you think all of them will have cell phones?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 12:01 pm

... and within the next 30 years, around 3 billion people will be added to the population again, do you think all of them will have cell phones?
...but what is the proportion of the phones are either in use or being re-charged?

Written By: annonymouse on 06/28/07 at 8:09 am

wow, we really need to get to work on colonizing mars.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 11:00 am

wow, we really need to get to work on colonizing mars.
With all these mobile phones around, at least we can remain in contact with each other.

Written By: annonymouse on 06/28/07 at 11:28 am

With all these mobile phones around, at least we can remain in contact with each other.

and then what will you do? a land line call from earth to mars is indeed long distance. good luck calling your favorite martian with a home phone

Written By: La Roche on 06/28/07 at 11:59 am

and then what will you do? a land line call from earth to mars is indeed long distance. good luck calling your favorite martian with a home phone

But free mobile to mobile.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 12:11 pm

But free mobile to mobile.  ;D
Not all the time?

Written By: La Roche on 06/28/07 at 12:57 pm

Not all the time?

Actually, if I call somebody on the same network as me, it's always free.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/07 at 7:26 pm

I don't believe the number is anywhere near as high as 3 billion.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 11:32 pm

The mobile phones have a 11 digit number (in the UK starting with 07), so 07XXX-XXXXXX and 3 billion has (taking it to be a million millions) 13 digits, X,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX. What is the size of the phones numbers around the rest of the world, the numbers will not cope?

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 9:05 pm

In this day and age, it seems like people have become dependant on cell phones; It's as though can't live without one.  For this reason alone is why I don't and will not ever have a cellphone

Speaking of phones, around here, Payphones now cost 50c to use >:(

Written By: La Roche on 06/29/07 at 9:55 pm

The mobile phones have a 11 digit number (in the UK starting with 07), so 07XXX-XXXXXX and 3 billion has (taking it to be a million millions) 13 digits, X,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX. What is the size of the phones numbers around the rest of the world, the numbers will not cope?

Right now in the U.S a cell phone number has 10 digits, that is including the area code that you have to put in front of a cell phone because obviously they do not recognize long distance as a differential.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/07 at 10:46 pm

There are vast populated swaths of the planet that were never wired for landline service.  More than a billion people have never even used a telephone once in their lives. That's citing George Will in 2000, so it's probably a "conservative" estimate!  I've heard estimates as high as 2.5 billion.  In any case, it's a gigantic number.  When and if these areas without telephone service do get phone service, it is now cell technology because it has become cheaper and easier since the mid '90s. 

Remember, in some desperate corners of the globe, it's easier to get Coca-Cola than it is potable water!*

I'm not going to be a technophile and say cell phones in the Third World are a sign of good things to come...not necessarily.

* In fact, the Coca-Cola company is trying to monopolize the water supply in much of the Third World while Monsanto forces genetically engineered single-generation seeds on the farmers...
But we're getting too political here!
:-X

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/07 at 1:54 am

There are vast populated swaths of the planet that were never wired for landline service.  More than a billion people have never even used a telephone once in their lives. That's citing George Will in 2000, so it's probably a "conservative" estimate!  I've heard estimates as high as 2.5 billion.  In any case, it's a gigantic number.   When and if these areas without telephone service do get phone service, it is now cell technology because it has become cheaper and easier since the mid '90s. 

Remember, in some desperate corners of the globe, it's easier to get Coca-Cola than it is potable water!*

I'm not going to be a technophile and say cell phones in the Third World are a sign of good things to come...not necessarily.

* In fact, the Coca-Cola company is trying to monopolize the water supply in much of the Third World while Monsanto forces genetically engineered single-generation seeds on the farmers...
But we're getting too political here!
:-X
Now if the mobile phones can be powered by Coca-Cola, what a different world it would be.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/07 at 3:24 pm

Now if the mobile phones can be powered by Coca-Cola, what a different world it would be.

You might not be too far off...

I wouldn't be surpised if corporations teamed up with cell service providers and offered discounts to consumers who would download commercial jingles as ringtones!
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...