inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "SICKO" the Michael Moore film

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/30/07 at 9:34 pm

Has anyone had a chance to check out "SICKO", Michael Moore's new movie, yet? I haven't, but I've been thinking about seeing it. Any thoughts regarding this movie?

Subject: Re: "SICKO" the Michael Moore film

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/07 at 12:06 am

I'm looking forward to seeing it as soon as I can. 

I can't afford my root canals even with the dental insurance premiums I've been paying every month...but at least I can still afford a ticket to the cinema!

My friend, this film is really going to p*ss people off...all summer it's going to be war on Michael Moore! 

One thing to remember about Michael Moore his information is not 100% accurate, but the lies his detractors tell about him and his work are what you've really got to beware of!

Written By: spaceace on 07/01/07 at 11:08 am

That war has all ready begun Max.  Hardcore Progressives, Libertarians, and a few Anarchist are nailing him.  He's being called a hypocrite and finding as much dirt on him as possible.  The Health Care industry is crying foul because of how bias it is.  I'll probably go see it.

Written By: TaylorS on 07/02/07 at 5:18 pm

The Health Care industry is crying foul because of how bias it is.

The the Health Insurance industry is crying foul because facts are bad for thier bottom line.

The healthcare industry needs to be nationalized.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/07 at 7:44 pm

The the Health Insurance industry is crying foul because facts are bad for thier bottom line.

They're scared.  They know even the people who don't necessarily support nationalized healthcare are fed up with them and want some kind of an overhaul!

Written By: Davester on 07/04/07 at 3:49 am

That war has all ready begun Max.  Hardcore Progressives, Libertarians, and a few Anarchist are nailing him.  He's being called a hypocrite and finding as much dirt on him as possible.  The Health Care industry is crying foul because of how bias it is.  I'll probably go see it.

When talking with them, I've seen libertarians sway a little to the left, or at least become open to what the left wants on health care.  I just...well, I dunno...

You think that once government gets it's hands on healthcare that everything will eventually get straightened out?  Not only will the lobbyists not go away, there will be more of them!  Instead of paying directly (or indirectly through employers) for the healthcare plans of our choosing that we'll just shift that money over to the wonderfully efficient machine we know as our government to get a single product that will, somehow, be equal in quality to what we now have come to expect..?  I don't think so...

I do regretfully think that it's only a matter of time before this national healthcare comes to fruition.  It's become too big an issue on which both parties are spending political energy; but it will not be anything close to this idealistic model expected groove ;) on...

Written By: Tia on 07/04/07 at 5:59 am

i think it's interesting how most of the most vociferous criticism i see is coming from the left. yeah the right's on him too, but it's usually something like his weight or something like that, some kinda schoolyard taunt.

Written By: spaceace on 07/04/07 at 6:56 am

i think it's interesting how most of the most vociferous criticism i see is coming from the left. yeah the right's on him too, but it's usually something like his weight or something like that, some kinda schoolyard taunt.

The right is calling him an idiot and the left is calling him a hypocrite.  It's really weird, I've never seen this before.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/07 at 3:57 pm

When talking with them, I've seen libertarians sway a little to the left, or at least become open to what the left wants on health care.  I just...well, I dunno...

You think that once government gets it's hands on healthcare that everything will eventually get straightened out?  Not only will the lobbyists not go away, there will be more of them!  Instead of paying directly (or indirectly through employers) for the healthcare plans of our choosing that we'll just shift that money over to the wonderfully efficient machine we know as our government to get a single product that will, somehow, be equal in quality to what we now have come to expect..?  I don't think so...

I do regretfully think that it's only a matter of time before this national healthcare comes to fruition.  It's become too big an issue on which both parties are spending political energy; but it will not be anything close to this idealistic model expected groove ;) on...

Maybe Michael Moore should make a film about the lobbying industry.  I find people start out disliking lobbyists and hate them more and more wheny they see what lobbyists really do!

Partisans argue over whose lobbyists are worse, not whose lobbyists are better!
;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/07 at 4:24 pm

Maybe Michael Moore should make a film about the lobbying industry.  I find people start out disliking lobbyists and hate them more and more wheny they see what lobbyists really do!

Partisans argue over whose lobbyists are worse, not whose lobbyists are better!
;D

That's not a bad idea. You should write to MM and suggest it to him. I'm not being facetious here, I am serious. I think MM will also like the idea.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 07/04/07 at 4:32 pm

I just got back from seeing it.  It is a very good movie.  I can see why some are upset over it though, it doesn't shed a very good light on America.

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/07 at 12:20 am

I saw Michael Moore in an interview on "Entertainment Tonight: Canada" and all he had was negative things to say about the US Health Care system.  The way Michael Moore always makes these controversial films, maybe one day he should do a documentary about controversial documentaries ;D

The only MM film I ever saw was 'Roger & Me'.  That, and his bad acting appearance in the movie 'Lucky Numbers' LOL

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/07 at 6:29 pm

That's not a bad idea. You should write to MM and suggest it to him. I'm not being facetious here, I am serious. I think MM will also like the idea.

Cat

I might just do that!
:)

The ad hominem attacks on Michael Moore because he's fat are ridiculous.  If he looked like a GQ model, those same people would be giving him the John Edwards treatment, and they would say he was an elitist healthnut who's so rich he doesn't have to worry about how much nationalized healthcare would cost the taxpayer!
::)

Written By: spaceace on 07/06/07 at 12:57 pm

Michael Moore obviously cares about Universal Health Care.  I wish people would stop calling him a hypocrite.  I don't see too many other people taking on the topic to such magnitude.

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/06/07 at 1:49 pm

I can't wait to see it,i think Moore is brilliant,he sure knows how to push buttons,and he does it in a very talented,watchable way,i love his work.

Written By: spaceace on 07/06/07 at 1:51 pm

I can't wait to see it,i think Moore is brilliant,he sure knows how to push buttons,and he does it in a very talented,watchable way,i love his work.

I highly recommend it.  I didn't think I'd like it but it turned out to be one of my favorite movies yet.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/07 at 5:55 pm

Michael Moore obviously cares about Universal Health Care.  I wish people would stop calling him a hypocrite.  I don't see too many other people taking on the topic to such magnitude.

Of course MM is a hypocrite.  We're all hypocrites if you snoop around long enough!
MM is not a hypocrite where it matters.

Written By: popking on 07/06/07 at 6:19 pm

Mikey knows how to stir the pot thats for sure! Thats his brilliance as a film director.

Of course some of it is manipulative, but the events of the last 7 years gave him that extra elbow room in Farenheight 9/11. He makes some good points, and he's also made some points that are paranoid and over the top. I'd say the good outweighs the bad.

Check for new replies or respond here...