inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It is now illegal to smoke in enclosed public places in the UK

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/07 at 2:13 am

Smokers across England have sparked up at work and in the pub for the last time as the ban on smoking in enclosed public places begins.

The new law, which came into effect at 0600 BST, is intended to cut deaths from second-hand smoke.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland already have similar bans in place.

Many venues held farewell events for the final night of smoking on Saturday, while local authorities are preparing to enforce the ban.

Doctors estimate second-hand smoke kills more than 600 people a year.

The government also hopes it will help smokers to quit, and discourage children from taking up the habit.

Subject: Re: It is now illegal to smoke in enclosed public places in the UK

Written By: Gis on 07/01/07 at 3:45 am

I for one am pleased, however I do think they could have kept a smoking room in some pubs or indeed where the bar staff smoke they could have pubs for smokers where non smokers choose whether they want to go in or not.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/07 at 3:58 am

I for one am pleased, however I do think they could have kept a smoking room in some pubs or indeed where the bar staff smoke they could have pubs for smokers where non smokers choose whether they want to go in or not.

They have it is called the Beer Garden.

Written By: Gis on 07/01/07 at 5:09 am

They have it is called the Beer Garden.
No good in the winter though.........

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/07 at 5:10 am

No good in the winter though.........
...provide a roof?

Written By: Paul on 07/01/07 at 9:40 am

...provide a roof?

But then it becomes an enclosed space!

Ain't law a wonderful thing, folks!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/07 at 9:41 am

But then it becomes an enclosed space!

Ain't law a wonderful thing, folks!  :D
Not if there is no walls, something like this...

http://www.backyardcity.com/images/PPS/1313-Canopy-Green.jpg

Written By: Paul on 07/01/07 at 9:45 am

Not if there is no walls, something like this...

Well I know for a fact that bus shelters are classified as 'enclosed spaces'...

...and most of those have a roof and one side!

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/07 at 9:58 am

I wonder if several businesses will close cause of this?  Some people can't live without their daily smoke of like 50 packs ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/07 at 10:41 am

Same thing is happening gradually in the U.S.

I've never smoked.  I have more than enough ways of ruining my health as it is.  I am personally relieved to be free of second-hand smoke.
Nonetheless, I am uneasy with sweep government prohibitions on personal choices.
I know the argument that second-hand smoke is not a choice for employees and non-smoking patrons, but still I am uneasy with it. 

Big Tobacco is going to Asia, Africa, and South America since the "Western" world is suppressing their market.

Written By: spaceace on 07/01/07 at 10:59 am

Same thing is happening gradually in the U.S.

I've never smoked.  I have more than enough ways of ruining my health as it is.  I am personally relieved to be free of second-hand smoke.
Nonetheless, I am uneasy with sweep government prohibitions on personal choices.
I know the argument that second-hand smoke is not a choice for employees and non-smoking patrons, but still I am uneasy with it. 

Big Tobacco is going to Asia, Africa, and South America since the "Western" world is suppressing their market.

PA's got a double whammy going a ban much like this one and an additional tobacco tax.  It's getting really rough for smokers.  Tobacco is going to become mainly an export.

Written By: Marian on 07/01/07 at 4:09 pm

I wonder if several businesses will close cause of this?  Some people can't live without their daily smoke of like 50 packs ::)
If they smoke 50 packs,how do they have the money to spend on anything else?

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/01/07 at 7:00 pm

As a light smoker, I will gradually have to learn to accept the fact that politicians use laws like these to distract people from more pressing issues.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/01/07 at 8:24 pm

They did a similar law to this here in 2004. Except it was mostly aimed at restaurants and bars. Everyone thought everything would soon crumble, bars would close, owners would disobey the law etc. But no, it all turned out for the best. No annoying second hand smoke while you eat your dinner or drink your beer. After all the initial opposition it turned out to be a success after all.

Written By: Gis on 07/02/07 at 1:29 am

It's worked well in Scotland and Ireland too.

Written By: TaylorS on 07/02/07 at 5:15 pm

Good for the folks across the pond. They recently did the same thing here in Minnesota a few months ago and will come into force this fall. It will be SOOOOO since not to have to walk into a bar full of smoke.  :)

Written By: Brian06 on 07/02/07 at 6:19 pm

We just recently enacted our ban in Ohio in all public places, placed on the ballot and approved by Ohio voters by a pretty large margin. The no smoking signs are in place at all establishments and the state feels a heck of a lot cleaner.

Check for new replies or respond here...