inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CDs dead by 2012?

Written By: popking on 07/06/07 at 11:51 am

Read any article in rollingstone, wall street journal or new york times and it appears to be that way. I read a NY time article that this christmas is supposed to be the last big holiday season for CD sales and then....yeah you can basically get where I'm going with this.  :-\\

Sales dropped 21% in the first quarter of this year, illegal file sharing on the rise, and that of course means lawsuits! At some point one must be wondering if all the record executives still have brain function.

Subject: Re: CDs dead by 2008/2009?

Written By: La Roche on 07/06/07 at 12:30 pm

Doubt it.

There's really nothing to replace them.

Sure there are discs that can hold more information and such like, but that's no use, albums have a number of songs that last so many minutes and that's it, they're not going to use a disc that can hold 8GB of information when they only need 500MB.

The next thing will probably be something like a flash drive or something along those lines, maybe the SD cards that are used in cameras, something exceptionally small that you just slot in to a player.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/06/07 at 12:32 pm

By 2008 or 09? no way. One day long in the future...maybe who knows.

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/07 at 12:41 pm

In a sense, CDs may never die.  Remember when CDs came along, and slowly phased out the LP?  Well, LPs are still around, and many artists today release their albums on vinyl as well as CD

Written By: popking on 07/06/07 at 12:50 pm

sales wise if you look their totally tanking and the record industry is in a lot of trouble. In fact earlier this may i think they had an exploratory meeting to discuss a physical replacement for the CD.

except theres nothing to replace it with.

Subject: Re: CDs dead by 2008/2009? 2012 max?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/06/07 at 7:17 pm

It will end by 2011.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/07 at 7:22 pm

People usually overpredict these things, but I agree they're in a downturn. The music industry has been slowly declining since c. 2000. There was a Rolling Stone article that said the steady drop in CD sales was due to the Napster controversy, and they might have a point.

It's kinda nice to have a hard copy, so I don't see them disappearing until 2015 maybe. Of course, there's far less music stores than there used to be (it's basically just places like Target and WalMart now), and there'll always be secondhand shops.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/06/07 at 7:28 pm

CDs are still where they make the vast majority of their money, get rid of CDs and there will be no music industry left. Singles sales on itunes are nothing really compared to the amount they take in from CD sales. CDs are not going anywhere even with declining sales, THAT'S WHERE THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY. They're just gonna have to cut prices eventually to stay alive.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/07 at 7:30 pm

For time capsulation purposes, I read an article from 1985 (with the very beginning of CDs coming into mainstream use) that said "Albums will be history in 5 years". They were right in the sense of them declining more and more, LPs still never entirely disappeared, and it was more like 1993/'94 before CDs even equalled tapes or began passing them.

Written By: popking on 07/06/07 at 7:31 pm

Exactly my point. The record executives have been really stubborn and boneheaded. They've consistantly refused to cut prices except in big chain stores like Best Buy, Walmart etc. :-\\

A 21% sales drop is extreme, if that happened in the Automobile industry, their shareholders would be jumping ship. And I don't think its going to get any better, especially when practically all the big newspaper and magazine publications are saying that CD sales are in the toilet.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/07 at 7:34 pm

A typically $18 CD should be around $10-12. While it's true that the industry might not be as good as it once was in terms of music, the problem goes hand in hand when people aren't buying things as much, lol.

That was the one positive thing about tapes, when they residually co-existed with CDs in the late '90s and up until 2003 even. It was a cheaper alternative to buying albums, even if inferior.

Written By: popking on 07/06/07 at 7:36 pm

I agree, people not buying as much music are having in impact on the amount of new talent getting signed. :-\\

Less $$ means less acts getting signed. I read somewhere, rollingstone i think, that the amount of acts that would normally get signed are being compromised by 1/3rd.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/07 at 7:40 pm

I also wonder how the chaotic sales drop, staff layoffs and store closings are having in impact on the amount of new talent getting signed. :-\\

Its gotta have some impact, the RollingStone article said about 1/3 of the acts that would normally get signed have been compromised.

I believe that, based on what I know and have seen. You know how, alot of people (including on here) have commonly complained about the fact that music isn't what it once was? Everything from less variety in pop, to not as many comeback artists, no more creative music videos, or the record companies not taking as much of a chance anymore, etc.

That's all very true, but what I think alot of people in the industry don't get is, the very reason for that is that less people are interested in music in general, so that's why the industry is half-*ssing it. None of that will change (they'll instead just stick with what they know is profitable and will definitely sell) without a mass audience creating more of a demand for music again. The best way to do that is to make CDs affordable. Not that many people are going to buy an $18 CD, even by some artists they know and like, much less an unknown they don't even know if they'll enjoy.

That's the difference with the 1964-2001 period.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/06/07 at 7:44 pm

I agree, people not buying as much music are having in impact on the amount of new talent getting signed. :-\\

Less $$ means less acts getting signed. I read somewhere, rollingstone i think, that the amount of acts that would normally get signed are being compromised by 1/3rd.

Yeah it's part of it, they just don't care as much anymore. No classic albums anymore, they just find somebody that can put out a hot single that lasts like a month then the "artist" falls off the face of the earth. I don't know what can fix it either.

Written By: popking on 07/06/07 at 7:45 pm

Yeah...half these CEOs should be fired lol

Thats one of the major problems really, poor product, definitely not something worth paying $18 for. Illegal pirates definitely have a counter effect, which overall means things stay in a rut for everyone.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/07 at 7:51 pm

In some ways, I see 2002 or '03+ as being a drawn-out, even worse parallel to the late 1979-late 1982 period, where Disco was faded, but the mainstream '80s hadn't come in yet. I've heard the industry was in lousy shape then, too, with album sales decreasing the radio just playing very corporate music they knew was already a hit.

Written By: popking on 07/06/07 at 7:57 pm

Good analogy, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Obviously some of the industry's woes is overhype, but a good deal of is true, I guess all the technology like the internet and all is making it scarier for these labels. Maybe its making it all more prolonged too, but you can't really tell.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/07 at 8:04 pm

Good analogy, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Obviously some of the industry's woes is overhype, but a good deal of is true, I guess all the technology like the internet and all is making it scarier for these labels. Maybe its making it all more prolonged too, but you can't really tell.

I wonder if YouTube or satellite radio could be the MTV of this era. ;D

Seriously, though, I agree that alot of their worries are legitimate, even if they overhype it for headlines or to generate interest. Sure, alot of people might think the current mainstream music is crap, but obviously someone likes it, or it wouldn't sell.

I think the crux of the problem is how to get the masses really interested in music again. I don't see that happening the way it did with MTV after its c. 1980 slump. Music has been around for so long, everything has kinda already been done now, lol.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/07 at 8:16 pm

In a sense, CDs may never die.  Remember when CDs came along, and slowly phased out the LP?  Well, LPs are still around, and many artists today release their albums on vinyl as well as CD

Some artists who have a vinyl-buing demographic in their listenerships do release limited editions.  The only genres that still market vinyl are dance and hip-hop because DJs still like to mix 'em up, and they have never duplicated that same facility with CDs.  

The Internet is still the frontier.  I have never downloaded music from the Internet because I've never had to, but as a radio program producer, I have a peculiar circumstance.  There is still a lot of legal wrangling over who gets to upload and dowload what and with or without whose permission.  The media also makes Internet access sound universal.  It isn't.  Certainly, the technology is almost there for downloading to take over processed CDs, but the practicalities lag far behind.  

Myself, I like to have a hardcopy.  It seems alien to me to just download music online to my i-Pod (I don't have an i-Pod, btw) with no tactile experience of handling the a music medium (eg. CD, cassette, LP).  That's probably just because of my age.  Kids born in the '90s seem to be more integrated with the digital ether.

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/07 at 8:47 pm

Myself, I like to have a hardcopy.  It seems alien to me to just download music online to my i-Pod (I don't have an i-Pod, btw) with no tactile experience of handling the a music medium (eg. CD, cassette, LP).  That's probably just because of my age.  Kids born in the '90s seem to be more integrated with the digital ether.

I know what you mean.  A Hardcopy is always better.  You get the liner notes with pictures, etc.  It's like a whole experience that you can't get with mp3s

Written By: La Roche on 07/07/07 at 7:20 am

I know what you mean.  A Hardcopy is always better.  You get the liner notes with pictures, etc.  It's like a whole experience that you can't get with mp3s

Plus, you don't get to go and be obnoxious when you're looking for things. "What do you mean you don't have Greed Killing, guh, I thought this was supposed to be a record store, not the salvation army!"

Written By: tv on 07/07/07 at 8:05 pm

In some ways, I see 2002 or '03+ as being a drawn-out, even worse parallel to the late 1979-late 1982 period, where Disco was faded, but the mainstream '80s hadn't come in yet. I've heard the industry was in lousy shape then, too, with album sales decreasing the radio just playing very corporate music they knew was already a hit.
Does anybody have CD sales for the past 30 years on a yearly basis because I would to take a look at those numbers for the past 30 years.
I think CD sales were great when the teen-pop thing was huge in 1999-2000 but since than CD sales have declined every yar since big time except for one Year on Year basis (2003-2004.)

Also, the music industry's product is not very good right now at all.

I think the music industry is basically playing watered down 2005 styled music that people are tired of or aren't feeling. The music industry needs a overhual in terms of getting better of discovering talent. Having a rapper have one hit single and never hearing from again is just not cutting it.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/08/07 at 5:01 am

I like having a hard copy of an album, too. Not only is it nice to have the album art, lyrics (in some cases), and pictures, the sound quality on a CD is so much better (IMO) than on mp3, although I do download music too.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/08/07 at 12:30 pm

A typically $18 CD should be around $10-12.
I disagree. I have said this for years: The only way the industry is going to survive is if they drop the price of cds to 5 bucks. There's no other way around doing this major price cut, and they need to deal with that reality before its too late.

In this era people have zero interest in paying 12 to 18 bucks for a cd when they can get it on the internet for free. Dropping prices to 10 isn't enough either. It has to go to 5 bucks, and offer singles for a buck. The industry will still make money, and possibly more, because at such a cheap price, there is actually an incentive to buy a cd, and more people will be willing to do it.
Some artists who have a vinyl-buing demographic in their listenerships do release limited editions.  The only genres that still market vinyl are dance and hip-hop because DJs still like to mix 'em up, and they have never duplicated that same facility with CDs.  
Other artists still use the LP format. Guns n Roses and Metallica have always released new albums on vinyl, and will continue to do so. Both bands usually release 100,00 copies on vinyl.

Written By: snozberries on 07/08/07 at 6:45 pm

You can still buy vinyl? Seriously? Where... the only time I have seen vinyl is the occassional 12' for dj-ing

Subject: Re: CDs dead by 2012?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/07 at 6:52 pm

2012? 

According to the Mayans, everything ends in 2012 (12/21), so that would include CDs!
:o

Written By: snozberries on 07/08/07 at 7:55 pm

2012? 

According to the Mayans, everything ends in 2012 (12/21), so that would include CDs!
:o

that's pretty weird because I have always felt like I wouldn't make it past 44 and in 2010 (12/7) I would be about 2 weeks past my 45th B-day... It would suck to beat the demon only to lose after all two weeks later

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/28/12 at 5:01 pm

Nope. They are still being sold everywhere. Though they are much, much less popular than digital downloads today and that is the main way of buying music.

Written By: Inertia on 09/28/12 at 5:28 pm

Nope. They are still being sold everywhere. Though they are much, much less popular than digital downloads today and that is the main way of buying music.

You performed necromancy on a rather old thread. XD

Written By: Brian06 on 09/28/12 at 5:32 pm

Lol I remember this topic being posted. They're not dead yet but not as important to the industry anymore. However considering they even still sell vinyl they'll probably be selling CDs for a long while still. One good change since 2007, is it's now easier to listen to music free and legally thanks to services like Spotify, and DRM is now gone from purchased music. So overall we've seen positive changes in the last 5 years, but still some work to do.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/28/12 at 5:34 pm

You performed necromancy on a rather old thread. XD

Haha yeah I have superpowers!  ;D

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/28/12 at 5:51 pm

Lol I remember this topic being posted. They're not dead yet but not as important to the industry anymore. However considering they even still sell vinyl they'll probably be selling CDs for a long while still. One good change since 2007, is it's now easier to listen to music free and legally thanks to services like Spotify, and DRM is now gone from purchased music. So overall we've seen positive changes in the last 5 years, but still some work to do.

CDs are still my preferred format of keeping my favorite albums instead of keeping them on an Ipad or Ipod or Iphone or Ithis or Ithat. I purchased albums in 2009, 2010 and 2011 on CD and if a good album comes out before the end of the year, I plan to buy that on CD as well.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/28/12 at 5:56 pm

CDs are still my preferred format of keeping my favorite albums instead of keeping them on an Ipad or Ipod or Iphone or Ithis or Ithat. I purchased albums in 2009, 2010 and 2011 on CD and if a good album comes out before the end of the year, I plan to buy that on CD as well.

I also like to buy CDs for my favorite music, it is true that there's something nice about having a CD copy of something instead of just having the digital files.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/28/12 at 5:58 pm

Heaven:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Compact_disc.svg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Tdkc60cassette.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/VHS_cassette_with_ruler.jpg

Hell:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Blu-ray_Disc.svg

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/28/12 at 6:00 pm

Yeah me too. If I truly support the artist, I will end up buying the CD itself. Not only is it more generous and less lazy, but there is nothing better than having the whole package and the artist's true showcase. It's also fun and exiting to take the time to go to the mall and search for the CD and have a burst of happiness when you see it on the shelf and hold it in your hands happily. :D It reminds me of the excitement of being a kid in the early 2000's and asking for CD's for Christmas and getting super happy when I get one.  :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/28/12 at 6:12 pm

I loved CDs. Still do. I miss buying the blank ones and burning music on them the way I use to throughout my 20s in the 2000s. I loved the blank color collection ones that Sony made, and the Computer Essentials they were just so much fun! Now a days it's getting harder to find any blank ones but they still sell CDs and CD players at FYE.

Now I'm all nostalgic...I want to burn more CDs and be 25 all over again ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 09/28/12 at 10:10 pm

CDs aren't dead.  They are just a lot less popular.  Audiophile's still prefer them because they have better sound quality than an MP3 and album collectors also still prefer CD over MP3. 

Written By: whistledog on 09/28/12 at 10:54 pm

I just recently bought a whole bunch of new CDs.  I still like CDs, and I don't see them dying anytime soon.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/29/12 at 3:26 am

I started a CD collection when I was between 11-19.

What I dislike about CDs today:

Too few tracks in comparison to the actual technical possibilities. I mean: We have for example DVD or BluRay - and DVDs/BDs have just the size of a CD. You could technically fill them with a lot more music in the same or even better quality, so why should I fill my shelf with tons disks which just offer a maximum of ~70 minutes music?

Secondly I don't feel much nostalgia for CDs since they are as digital as MP3s and other modern formats are. 'Real' music formats were records and cassette tapes because they were analog.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/29/12 at 9:41 am

Yeah me too. If I truly support the artist, I will end up buying the CD itself. Not only is it more generous and less lazy, but there is nothing better than having the whole package and the artist's true showcase. It's also fun and exiting to take the time to go to the mall and search for the CD and have a burst of happiness when you see it on the shelf and hold it in your hands happily. :D It reminds me of the excitement of being a kid in the early 2000's and asking for CD's for Christmas and getting super happy when I get one.  :)

Exactly! Same thing when buying songs on itunes and burning the tracks onto them and making your own CDs...sooo much fun lol. I use to burn all of my playlists from the computer onto the CDs! I prefer the sound quality of a CD too, it's quite something.

Written By: Martin on 09/29/12 at 3:56 pm

Records/tapes -> CDs -> mp3 -> YouTube
I don't think people download that much mp3s anymore. Nowadays they listen to YouTube, so music videos killed the mp3 in a way.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 4:07 pm

and some are cheaper.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 4:09 pm

Heaven:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Compact_disc.svg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Tdkc60cassette.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/VHS_cassette_with_ruler.jpg

Hell:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Blu-ray_Disc.svg

Wow I miss cassette tapes.  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 4:10 pm

CDs aren't dead.  They are just a lot less popular.  Audiophile's still prefer them because they have better sound quality than an MP3 and album collectors also still prefer CD over MP3.

and some are a lot less cheaper in price.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 4:11 pm

I just recently bought a whole bunch of new CDs.  I still like CDs, and I don't see them dying anytime soon.

unless something else takes over.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 4:12 pm

I don't think people download that much mp3s anymore. Nowadays they listen to YouTube, so music videos killed the mp3 in a way.

more like the computer killed CDs.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/29/12 at 10:32 pm

Music videos killed illegal downloading, but I still buy mp3s for my iPhone so I can listen to them while exercising or in the car.  You can't do that with YouTube or at least its not convenient.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/29/12 at 10:37 pm

Music videos killed illegal downloading, but I still buy mp3s for my iPhone so I can listen to them while exercising or in the car.  You can't do that with YouTube or at least its not convenient.

But loads of people still download illegally. I do.  :P

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/30/12 at 12:57 am

Sony's huge CD pressing plant in Pitman, NJ closed earlier this year.  I wonder when the last CD production plant will close?  I'll take a stab at it and guess by 2020.

Written By: Howard on 09/30/12 at 3:06 pm

I think music videos killed CDs cause now people are listening and watching music videos from youtube or other available sites.

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/12 at 4:27 pm

But loads of people still download illegally. I do.  :P

May not be something you want to admit.  You never know who is watching web forums

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/30/12 at 4:30 pm

May not be something you want to admit.  You never know who is watching web forums

Downloading for personal purpose is not illegal. Only downloading AND uploading which is often automatically the case.

Written By: Katluver on 09/30/12 at 7:01 pm

I would say CDs are pretty much dead.  :(

I am thinking about selling mine as a lot, but I don't think I'll have much success. Then again, I was surprised I had so many requests from people wanting to buy my old film camera...

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/12 at 7:08 pm

I am thinking about selling mine as a lot, but I don't think I'll have much success. Then again, I was surprised I had so many requests from people wanting to buy my old film camera...

cd's don't have the monetary value they once did because people know you've burned them into MP3s.... that doesn't mean they are dead. They just don't bring in any money on the back end.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/30/12 at 8:06 pm

Admitting this is the equillivant of admitting you jay-walked or spit on the sidewalk before.... 99% of people do it. It may be illegal but it is not an issue people really have the time or need to care about. Cops have more important things to do than search forums of who downloaded music illegally before.  :P

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/30/12 at 8:08 pm

And yeah, like someone else said it's for personal use only, not uploading and sharing. I only download music occasionally for personal use. Remember how big LimeWire was as well?

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/12 at 9:10 pm

Admitting this is the equillivant of admitting you jay-walked or spit on the sidewalk before.... 99% of people do it. It may be illegal but it is not an issue people really have the time or need to care about. Cops have more important things to do than search forums of who downloaded music illegally before.  :P

actually the feds have a whole division committed to it...cops don't care about illegal downloads but the feds could actually be watching...

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/12 at 9:10 pm

And yeah, like someone else said it's for personal use only, not uploading and sharing. I only download music occasionally for personal use. Remember how big LimeWire was as well?

still illegal  :P    :D

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/30/12 at 10:24 pm

actually the feds have a whole division committed to it...cops don't care about illegal downloads but the feds could actually be watching...

Of course they do. But they look for more serious illegal activities over the net rather than illegal downloading. I know feds could be watching but they highly likely wouldn't waste their time watching people who illegally download. They go after more serious crimes on the net, Anyways how the heck did we go off topic this much?  ;D

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/30/12 at 10:29 pm

still illegal  :P    :D

Not true. Downloading music for personal use is 100% legal in Canada as long as you do it through proper torrents. I know I said I download illegally but I didn't mean I actually download music illegally, that is just the term most people use when you don't pay for music even though it is still legally okay. No feds can go after me. I did nothing illegal or wrong..

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/12 at 10:45 pm

Not true. Downloading music for personal use is 100% legal in Canada as long as you do it through proper torrents. I know I said I download illegally but I didn't mean I actually download music illegally, that is just the term most people use when you don't pay for music even though it is still legally okay. No feds can go after me. I did nothing illegal or wrong..

oh you're in Canada... that's different...

Of course they do. But they look for more serious illegal activities over the net rather than illegal downloading. I know feds could be watching but they highly likely wouldn't waste their time watching people who illegally download. They go after more serious crimes on the net, Anyways how the heck did we go off topic this much?  ;D

different divisions for different crimes...they have the internet porn division
fraud division  and the copy right division... each tasked to solve crimes in their particular specialty..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/12 at 12:02 am

Absolutely not.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 10/01/12 at 12:10 am

Well I guess we need to define "dead." If you mean dead as in virtually non existent, except as an antique (kinda like records were a few years ago, now they are back in style) then no, CD's are nowhere close to being "dead." But if you mean dead as in even large music companies and stores such as HMV are lowering the stock production of CD's then yeah, it has really decreased in popularity since 2007.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/12 at 6:36 am

Downloading for personal purpose is not illegal. Only downloading AND uploading which is often automatically the case.

unless you pay for it.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/12 at 6:37 am

What kind of film camera is it? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/01/12 at 6:38 am

and also Napster.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/12 at 6:40 am

Absolutely not.
Agreed and ditto!

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/01/12 at 8:26 pm

There are still music stores that sell CDs today. I went to one recently and not only did they have mp3 players but there were CDs everywhere. And...I'm not really sure, but I think I saw some records too. Maybe I was seeing things :(

Written By: Katluver on 10/02/12 at 1:59 am

What kind of film camera is it? ???

It was one of those Olympus compact cameras. I got for Christmas back in '99.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 2:05 am

It was one of those Olympus compact cameras. I got for Christmas back in '99.

Those are good cameras.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 5:50 am

Well it's 2012 now and CD's are still the format of choice for buying physical music - however, vinyl has made a notable comeback, and digital downloads have outsold CDs since 2010 and that's not even counting illegal piracy, the truth is downloads have probably out-performed CDs since at least 2007.

So no, CDs are far from dead, but diminished yes. In a way they're just as obsolete as vinyl now.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/12 at 7:05 am

There are still music stores that sell CDs today. I went to one recently and not only did they have mp3 players but there were CDs everywhere. And...I'm not really sure, but I think I saw some records too. Maybe I was seeing things :(

There's this record place that sells vinyls and CDs and cassette tapes, this place has been open for 27 years It's called Breakdown Records. It's a place where you can go to get a cheap CD or cassette tape.

http://iwantmore.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/208414177_l.jpg

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 10/27/12 at 11:05 pm

that sounds like HitClips, we know how well that went.
Doubt it.

There's really nothing to replace them.

Sure there are discs that can hold more information and such like, but that's no use, albums have a number of songs that last so many minutes and that's it, they're not going to use a disc that can hold 8GB of information when they only need 500MB.

The next thing will probably be something like a flash drive or something along those lines, maybe the SD cards that are used in cameras, something exceptionally small that you just slot in to a player.

Written By: Howard on 10/28/12 at 3:25 pm

I don't think CD's will die, people need to download movies and transfer them to compact discs.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/28/12 at 5:29 pm

I don't think CD's will die, people need to download movies and transfer them to compact discs.

lol

Ever heard of DVD, BluRay or external harddisks? ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/28/12 at 5:34 pm

lol

Ever heard of DVD, BluRay or external harddisks? ;)

Yes I have.

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/12 at 8:55 pm

I just purchased a whole bunch of CDs in store and on Amazon.  I still like CDs and I hope they will be around for years to come

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 6:47 am

I just purchased a whole bunch of CDs in store and on Amazon.  I still like CDs and I hope they will be around for years to come

I think so too, CDs are the best invention since the cassette tape.

Written By: Shiv on 10/29/12 at 5:24 pm

Audiophiles prefer the better sound quality and some people just plain like the "character" (artwork, liner notes, etc) of physical media. It will never go away entirely.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/06/12 at 1:29 am

Well HMV is making most of their profit now with other products that aren't CD's so I think it's safe to say CD's are pretty much dead now for the most part.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/11/12 at 9:57 am

CD's clearly are not dead in 2012, but I would say that the future for the medium does not look particularly bright. When I was in high school in the early to mid 2000's, CD players massively outnumbered MP3 players among students. Today it's the exact opposite of that.

And it's not just a problem among teenagers either. I got my first MP3 player back in 2005, and ever since then I would say that the number of CD's I buy per year has gone down from about a dozen or so, to no more than maybe one or two.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 1:37 pm

CD's clearly are not dead in 2012, but I would say that the future for the medium does not look particularly bright. When I was in high school in the early to mid 2000's, CD players massively outnumbered MP3 players among students. Today it's the exact opposite of that.

And it's not just a problem among teenagers either. I got my first MP3 player back in 2005, and ever since then I would say that the number of CD's I buy per year has gone down from about a dozen or so, to no more than maybe one or two.

I only buy CDs if I'm really into the artist. Otherwise, I mostly just rip stuff from YouTube and put it on my mp3 player. Is it ethical? Maybe, maybe not but the way I see it, it's no different than if I was watching it on YouTube with a smartphone.

Written By: shotglass2 on 12/02/12 at 3:34 pm

Cds can't be dead they are a new medium think of how long cassettes and vinyl have lasted?

Music Cds had a large variety of albums and started getting popular and affordable by 1986-1989. Starting around 1992 Cd-roms were the main format. Rewritable Cds came around 1997-1999

That is fairly new.

Main reasons why they won't die out son:

Music: Superior music quality to MP3s and Wav files. Cds offer better sound than any digital download format to date and can be transferred to Lossless and Flac Files or lower quality files on any player. You also own a physical copy with artwork so you get a good deal there. They also still make Cd walkmans.

Blu-Ray: Still offers better quality than HD downloads.

Current Next Generation Video Consoles run games on discs

DVD and Rewritable Cds have their current uses.

There was this recent article on how cds are still a pretty strong format in 2012:

http://digital2disc.com/index.php/news/article/cds-are-still-the-paramount-format-for-music-albums

Written By: Slim95 on 12/02/12 at 4:06 pm

That is fairly new.

Main reasons why they won't die out son:

Music: Superior music quality to MP3s and Wav files.

Well vinyl has superior quality to CD's and MP3's yet it's still dead.... In the end it doesn't matter if the sound quality is better. We have seen what happened to Vinyl records and this will be the same case for CD's too.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/02/12 at 4:19 pm

Well vinyl has superior quality to CD's and MP3's yet it's still dead....

Vinyl is analog technology and the disks are just too huge. Vinyl records are also subject to abrade which is one of the main problems of this format. Only mint quality records have a better quality than CDs IMO.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/02/12 at 4:20 pm

Starting around 1992 Cd-roms were the main format.

Main format? Not where I live. At least not in 1992.

Written By: shotglass2 on 12/02/12 at 4:29 pm

Vinyl is actually doing pretty well. I really doubt it would be either Cds (as they are) or Mp3s. Who knows what formats they can come up with.

Cds will be around for some time. It’s hard to say how long. Maybe different kinds of cds or physical formats would come about.

I'm pretty sure Mp3s will become extinct once the bandwidth/storage capacity for higher quality downloads is better. Mp3 files ironically deteriorate (sound wise) over time. Usbs/flash drives have been another method of distribution for higher quality downloads/digital music for box sets and certain number of bands starting around 2007.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/12 at 2:19 pm

Well HMV is making most of their profit now with other products that aren't CD's so I think it's safe to say CD's are pretty much dead now for the most part.

and I don't even buy CDs anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/14 at 10:29 am

CDs are still being sold HMV and Poundland, I have been tempted to purchase several, but the money was spent on DVDs.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/14 at 7:24 pm

I think people still own CD's but are being sold cheaper than they were 20-25 years ago.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/11/14 at 8:33 pm

CD's are dead. Along with DVDs and Blu-Ray. Everything is online now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/14 at 3:10 am

Not me and several of my friends, we all prefer to purchase in shops.

Written By: Paul on 05/12/14 at 5:15 am

Can't honestly remember the last time I physically bought a CD - everything of mine is on mp3 now...

Sound quality, you say? Fine - if you're a audiophile, but do remember that even with high-end equipment and the most perfect digital source, the output is only as good as your hearing (which, in most cases starts to deteriorate after you've passed your teens...)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/14 at 11:27 am

Can't honestly remember the last time I physically bought a CD - everything of mine is on mp3 now...

Sound quality, you say? Fine - if you're a audiophile, but do remember that even with high-end equipment and the most perfect digital source, the output is only as good as your hearing (which, in most cases starts to deteriorate after you've passed your teens...)
I can remember the last two CDs I brought, The Very Best of Enya in 2009, and a Christmas Songs CD since then.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/14 at 7:20 pm

yep why buy CDs when you have Blu Ray and DVD, Netflix and Hulu.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/14 at 7:21 pm

Can't honestly remember the last time I physically bought a CD

I bought mine many years ago.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/14 at 9:21 pm

yep why buy CDs when you have Blu Ray and DVD, Netflix and Hulu.

Yes but I mean DVD and Blu-Ray are dying too. There won't be a new physical form coming out as everything is digital now.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/14 at 6:38 am

Yes but I mean DVD and Blu-Ray are dying too. There won't be a new physical form coming out as everything is digital now.

So what are we going to buy in the next 10 years?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/14 at 6:40 am

...and how can you display digital copies on the shelf like DVDs and CDs now?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/13/14 at 12:18 pm

People will buy things online it's already happening now.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/13/14 at 12:19 pm

...and how can you display digital copies on the shelf like DVDs and CDs now?

There won't be displays as you can buy it from the comfort of your own home.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/14 at 12:23 pm

There won't be displays as you can buy it from the comfort of your own home.  :)
There again you lose your bank account details online...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/14 at 12:26 pm

We will not be able to anything because it will be total online shopping and no high street shops open, and everyone will have no work for money to spend online.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/14 at 7:24 pm

that's how it should be.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/14 at 7:25 pm

We will not be able to anything because it will be total online shopping and no high street shops open, and everyone will have no work for money to spend online.

that's why malls are declining.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/14 at 12:30 am

that's why malls are declining.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/14 at 6:48 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/music-sales-2012-digital-physical_n_2440380.html

Written By: karen on 05/14/14 at 11:20 am

My daughter had two CDs as birthday presents from friends.

It's getting harder to buy anything other than chart music, now that HMV has closed (at least locally)

Written By: Howard on 05/14/14 at 3:23 pm

People can still buy cheap CDs at garage sales and flea markets.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/14/14 at 11:49 pm

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/newsroom/img/posts/2014/05/cds/3efc630cd.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Cd_bronzing.jpg/220px-Cd_bronzing.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/Disc_rot.jpg/250px-Disc_rot.jpg

Look at the shiny side of a CD - is it darker around the edge than it is in the middle?  The bronzing effect has started, likely because of sulphur-related compounds in paper sleeves, but outgassing from pamphlets in jewel cases may also be a factor.  Hold up a CD with a bright light behind it.  If you see holes, the disc may also be susceptible to rot. 

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/05/the-library-of-congress-wants-to-destroy-your-old-cds-for-science/370804/

Between bronzing and CD disc rot, the next few years might actually be a very good time to think about digging out your old CDs and ripping them to FLAC.  If neither process has started, the disc is probably good for another 10-20-100 years.  If either the bronzing or rotting processes have started, you may still be able to read the data, but you probably won't be in another 10 years.

If you have anything important backed up onto CD-R / CD-RW, or DVD+-R/RW media, this weekend might be a very good time to see if it's still readable, and to make another backup.  User-writable media is based on optical dyes rather than aluminum/silver chemistry, and can fail in all the ways that pre-recorded CDs can, plus other ways that involve the long-term stability of the dyes involved.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/14 at 1:40 pm

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/newsroom/img/posts/2014/05/cds/3efc630cd.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Cd_bronzing.jpg/220px-Cd_bronzing.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/Disc_rot.jpg/250px-Disc_rot.jpg

Look at the shiny side of a CD - is it darker around the edge than it is in the middle?  The bronzing effect has started, likely because of sulphur-related compounds in paper sleeves, but outgassing from pamphlets in jewel cases may also be a factor.  Hold up a CD with a bright light behind it.  If you see holes, the disc may also be susceptible to rot. 

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/05/the-library-of-congress-wants-to-destroy-your-old-cds-for-science/370804/

Between bronzing and CD disc rot, the next few years might actually be a very good time to think about digging out your old CDs and ripping them to FLAC.  If neither process has started, the disc is probably good for another 10-20-100 years.  If either the bronzing or rotting processes have started, you may still be able to read the data, but you probably won't be in another 10 years.

If you have anything important backed up onto CD-R / CD-RW, or DVD+-R/RW media, this weekend might be a very good time to see if it's still readable, and to make another backup.  User-writable media is based on optical dyes rather than aluminum/silver chemistry, and can fail in all the ways that pre-recorded CDs can, plus other ways that involve the long-term stability of the dyes involved.
Looks well and truly alive to me!

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/18/14 at 4:55 am

I still buy CD's. Even if they clutter up, it's still nice to have one rather than a song on a player that can break, then you have to buy a new one and re-upload your files to it.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 9:35 am

I have a shelf full of CDs and cassette tapes and one day they will all be worth something.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/15 at 2:24 pm

CDs still alive in 2015, still being sold in HMV.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/15 at 2:39 pm

CDs still alive in 2015, still being sold in HMV.

and some of them are quite cheap.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/15 at 2:41 pm

and some of them are quite cheap.
The funny thing is I did not lookmatvthe prices, I will next time I go in.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/27/15 at 9:52 am

Hu there are still music stores though. I think I bought at least 20 cds after 2012.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/15 at 9:57 am

The funny thing is I did not look at the prices, I will next time I go in.
CD 2 for £15 or. £7.99 each in-store.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/15 at 2:46 pm

CD 2 for £15 or. £7.99 each in-store.

That's pretty inexpensive.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/15 at 2:47 pm

That's pretty inexpensive.
Cheap compared to several years back.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/28/15 at 7:59 pm

I can't help but chuckle at the old comments. People saying there isn't anything to replace CDs, therefore they aren't going anywhere, thats what people now are saying about DVDs(and to a lesser extent, bluerays).

Written By: Slim95 on 08/28/15 at 9:08 pm

I can't help but chuckle at the old comments. People saying there isn't anything to replace CDs, therefore they aren't going anywhere, thats what people now are saying about DVDs(and to a lesser extent, bluerays).

Who's saying that about DVD's??? I think everyone sees DVDs and CD's being equivalant in terms of old fashioness. Netflix has replaced DVDs a while ago. CDs and DVDs are dissapearing at the same rate.... How are DVDs in anyway modern these days? I've never heard anyone say DVDs can't be replaced. It looks ancient even today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/28/15 at 9:15 pm

Who's saying that about DVD's??? I think everyone sees DVDs and CD's being equivalant in terms of old fashioness. Netflix has replaced DVDs a while ago. CDs and DVDs are dissapearing at the same rate.... How are DVDs in anyway modern these days? I've never heard anyone say DVDs can't be replaced. It looks ancient even today.

They're basically of what Blu-Ray Discs were before the HD revolution. However, people still use DVDs. Even if it looks "ancient", despite the fact that the technology was released to the public around the late 90s and then became popular since the early 2000s. Hell, I don't even have a Blu-Ray player and I don't give a crap about buying one. I would also think that Netflix isn't really replacing DVDs that much, since they don't have everything in their website.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/28/15 at 10:39 pm

They're basically of what Blu-Ray Discs were before the HD revolution. However, people still use DVDs. Even if it looks "ancient", despite the fact that the technology was released to the public around the late 90s and then became popular since the early 2000s. Hell, I don't even have a Blu-Ray player and I don't give a crap about buying one. I would also think that Netflix isn't really replacing DVDs that much, since they don't have everything in their website.

Blu-Ray's are old fashioned too. Anything that is physical media is starting to look dated in the day and age of online streaming.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 08/29/15 at 6:12 am

I still use DVDs and don't have a Blu-Ray player or use Netflix. I have rented films on iTunes, though!

I buy CDs released by artists I particularly like, but I mostly use a mixture of downloads and streaming.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/15 at 6:59 am

But CDs and DVDs are the same thing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/15 at 11:05 am

But CDs and DVDs are the thing.

I guess DVDs are still popular with people, but I don't think CDs are in the mainstream nowadays, since most people would rather listen to their music on iPods.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/15 at 11:37 am

I guess DVDs are still popular with people, but I don't think CDs are in the mainstream nowadays, since most people would rather listen to their music on iPods.

I always thought CD's and DVD's were equal in terms of popularity as they are both disks and both have online alternatives. Along with Blu-Ray as well. Blu-Ray has been dead before it was started. A lot of people didn't even convert to Blu-Ray before going to online streaming. In the near future online streaming will completely replace physical media. It's just nowadays some people feel having the physical thing is cheaper and better because you can watch it whenever you like. But that line of thinking will change soon. But DVDs, Blu-Ray, and CDs will still be around for novelty factors. Same as how VHS and Vinyl is still around for nostalgia purposes.

I remember back in the day in the mid 2000's I  thought Blu-Ray would be the future and little chips like USB memory sticks would replace CD's. I was looking in the wrong direction and was a fool not to realize the internet would replace all these things.  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/15 at 11:42 am

I still use DVDs and don't have a Blu-Ray player or use Netflix. I have rented films on iTunes, though!

I buy CDs released by artists I particularly like, but I mostly use a mixture of downloads and streaming.

Well Blu-Ray is not considered "new" so it's good you don't have it. Netflix and online streaming is the newest form.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/15 at 11:46 am

Well Blu-Ray is not considered "new" so it's good you don't have it. Netflix and online streaming is the newest form.

Blu-Ray was never considered as a new thing. They were just DVDs with HD quality, even though it wasn't as popular as DVDs. Hell, I think Netflix is more recognizable to everybody than Blu-Ray Discs, since it was revolutionary to have their services everywhere.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/15 at 11:50 am

I always thought CD's and DVD's were equal in terms of popularity as they are both disks and both have online alternatives. Along with Blu-Ray as well. Blu-Ray has been dead before it was started. A lot of people didn't even convert to Blu-Ray before going to online streaming. In the near future online streaming will completely replace physical media. It's just nowadays some people feel having the physical thing is cheaper and better because you can watch it whenever you like. But that line of thinking will change soon. But DVDs, Blu-Ray, and CDs will still be around for novelty factors. Same as how VHS and Vinyl is still around for nostalgia purposes.

I remember back in the day in the mid 2000's I  thought Blu-Ray would be the future and little chips like USB memory sticks would replace CD's. I was looking in the wrong direction and was a fool not to realize the internet would replace all these things.  ;D

Why would you except Blu-Ray Discs to be the future? They were just the same as DVDs. That's it. It's not really futuristic unlike DVDs, which were really awesome when they came out, because nobody really thought of watching movies on discs.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/29/15 at 12:00 pm

Why would you except Blu-Ray Discs to be the future? They were just the same as DVDs. That's it. It's not really futuristic unlike DVDs, which were really awesome when they came out, because nobody really thought of watching movies on discs.

Like I said, I was a fool. But I was only like 12 years old.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/15 at 6:09 pm

and downloadable music from the internet.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/15 at 6:10 pm

and online radio stations as well.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/15 at 6:34 pm

and online radio stations as well.

Downloadable music and online radio stations have been around since the late 90s. How is it new at all?

Written By: Howard on 08/30/15 at 2:21 pm

Downloadable music and online radio stations have been around since the late 90s. How is it new at all?

I'm saying that's what people are listening to instead of CDs these days.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/31/15 at 7:47 am

And people said the same in the '80s about listening to music on discs when CDs first came out; people really liked the portability compared to the clunkiness of rewinding tapes or scratchy vinyl. Meanwhile, also in the '80s there was this thing called Laserdiscs; they were also futuristic, but due their relative bulkiness, didn't take off like VCRs and basically until the DVD came out, was just "there" as a special geeky way to enjoy home video.

However, CDs, DVDs, and books still hold a niche just because they want a physical copy of it. That said, there are certainly more and more digital-only titles being released as the years go on.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/31/15 at 8:35 am

And people said the same in the '80s about listening to music on discs when CDs first came out; people really liked the portability compared to the clunkiness of rewinding tapes or scratchy vinyl. Meanwhile, also in the '80s there was this thing called Laserdiscs; they were also futuristic, but due their relative bulkiness, didn't take off like VCRs and basically until the DVD came out, was just "there" as a special geeky way to enjoy home video.

However, CDs, DVDs, and books still hold a niche just because they want a physical copy of it. That said, there are certainly more and more digital-only titles being released as the years go on.

I can get that there would be more digital-only titles in the near future, since more people are getting iTunes accounts and that they don't really play movies or TV shows on their DVD/Blu-Ray players anymore. I think that's my assumption on what the general public would think about DVDs and Blu-Ray discs in the future.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/15 at 2:33 pm

I myself enjoy the physical quality of books.

Written By: ralfy on 09/01/15 at 12:15 pm

Related:

"How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality?"

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

Check for new replies or respond here...