inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Live Earth

Written By: Satish on 07/06/07 at 9:36 pm

The Live Earth concerts to raise awareness about global warming will be held over the next day. The concerts will take place in eight cities around the world(New York, London, Sydney, Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hamburg) and  will feature over a hundred musical acts, among the more notable of whom include:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Madonna
Beastie Boys
The Police
Bon Jovi
Black Eyed Peas
Linkin Park
Duran Duran
Metallica
Kelly Clarkson

The event is being spearheaded by former US Vice-President and environmental activist Al Gore.

Here's the official site for Live Earth:
http://www.liveearth.org/

And MSN is broadcasting the event online at this site:
http://www.liveearth.msn.com/

Subject: Re: Live Earth

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/07 at 9:39 pm

I was just watching Live Earth.  I was shocked to see all kinds of empty seats at the Aussie Arena.  The US and European legs of the concert should be a full house

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/06/07 at 11:39 pm

The Live Earth concerts to raise awareness about global warming will be held over the next day. The concerts will take place in seven cities around the world(New York, London, Sydney, Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hamburg) and  will feature over a hundred musical acts, among the more notable of whom include:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Madonna
Beastie Boys
The Police
Bon Jovi
Black Eyed Peas
Linkin Park
Duran Duran
Metallica
Kelly Clarkson

The event is being spearheaded by former US Vice-President and environmental activist Al Gore.

Here's the official site for Live Earth:
http://www.liveearth.org/

And MSN is broadcasting the event online at this site:
http://www.liveearth.msn.com/

Ironically, most of these acts will be transported to the Live Earth events in fuel-guzzling, carbon-spewing private jets.  And then ferried to the venues in stretched-out gas guzzling, carbon-dioxide-spewing SUV's.

They will then return home the same way they came, to their mansions that are lined with exotic hardwoods and their gas-fired heated swimming pools.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/07 at 11:56 pm

So making awareness of global warming with these concerts, will all the artists be playing acoustic?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/07/07 at 10:03 am

I am watching the Japan feed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/07 at 10:04 am

I will watch some later, when less important programme are on.

Written By: gemini on 07/07/07 at 11:20 am

Saw Genesis earlier and now I'm watching Duran Duran. Pretty much the only ones I wanted to see, except maybe Madonna, if I can catch it when she's on.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/07/07 at 11:54 am

I'm watching it now. It's pretty alright. Waiting for Madonna, big time though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/07 at 12:09 pm

Ironically, most of these acts will be transported to the Live Earth events in fuel-guzzling, carbon-spewing private jets.  And then ferried to the venues in stretched-out gas guzzling, carbon-dioxide-spewing SUV's.

They will then return home the same way they came, to their mansions that are lined with exotic hardwoods and their gas-fired heated swimming pools.  ::)

Well, I wouldn't mind all of that if this "Live Earth" was going to make a damn bit of difference to improve global warming.  But it won't.

I agree with Al Gore on the science.  I thought his film was worthwhile, and it didn't bother me that he was jetting around as the VP with the message.

The truth about "Live Earth" is that it is entertainment.  You want to do one of those self-indulgent rock festivals?  Have at it.  However, when Sting, Madonna, Phil Collins, and Dave Grohl start asking me to take a personal resource conservation pledge, I get turned off.  These clowns make a bigger "cabon footprint" in a week than a work-a-day slob like me does in a year, two years!

I'm in no position to tell my company to turn down the air conditioning and if I chain myself to the gates of the coal plant, I'll just get tossed in the clink and the plant will keep running just the same. Celebrities who spend their days telling others what to do and don't even need to get out of bed in the morning if they don't want to have no business talking down to the rest of us.

The whole damn thing is anti-populist.  It's not just the self-congratulatory celebrity elite with their private jets.  It's that these very concerts line the pockets of corporations that have no intention of mending their ways.  Some would say I'm cynical for doubting the effectiveness of "Live Earth," I say those who still think rock 'n' roll can save the world are idiots.

Speaking of self-congratulatory, it all goes back to the Baby Boomers' contribution to our culture: "Woodstock."  A lot of them still link their dropping acid and fornicating in the mud whilst Jimmy Hendrix rang out ear-bleeding guitar noise with the end of the Vietnam War.

Same narcissistic principle at play here: 19-year-old meeeeeeee goes out and has fun at a rock concert, and awakens Joe Shmo to the needs of Mother Earth at the same time.  

Remember "Live Aide"?  How is Africa doing 22 years later?  

The powers-that-be love this crap because it creates a huge diversionary spectacle and gets people to spend money.  They already know the "7-point pledge" will change nothing.  Joke's on you, the signee.  Yeah, yeah Pelosi and Reid signed the thing, but it's good PR.  Can't have too much good PR, can we?

In addition, what's the first thing I think of when I think of rock festivals?  Chemical toilets and water and $3 a litre.  No thanx!
::)  ::)  ::)

Beyond

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/07/07 at 12:32 pm

I was just watching Live Earth.  I was shocked to see all kinds of empty seats at the Aussie Arena.  The US and European legs of the concert should be a full house

Come on now ... were you really expecting a 'crowded house?' Well, you still GOT 'crowded house'!  ... even if you didn't get  a crowded house!  :D

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/07/07 at 12:35 pm

But seriously, very interesting/ intelligent/ thought provoking stuff from you, Mr. MaxwellSmart ^^

:) 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/07 at 12:43 pm

But seriously, very interesting/ intelligent/ thought provoking stuff from you, Mr. MaxwellSmart ^^

:) 8)

Thanks.  I know it's harsh, but whenvever the entertainment industry gets into the "consciousness raising" industry, I think, "Oh god, here we go again!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/bs.gif

Written By: gemini on 07/07/07 at 4:06 pm

I'm watching it now. It's pretty alright. Waiting for Madonna, big time though.

She's on right now  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/07 at 4:47 pm

Madonna was very impressive, she can really move it stage.

Written By: gemini on 07/07/07 at 5:08 pm

Madonna was very impressive, she can really move it stage.

Yea, she did! I don't think I've ever seen her play guitar before?  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/07 at 5:20 pm

That is the same the question we asked ourselves, she composes her own songs so having a knowledge of an instrument does help.

Written By: gemini on 07/07/07 at 5:55 pm

That is the same the question we asked ourselves, she composes her own songs so having a knowledge of an instrument does help.

Makes sense, I'm just used to seeing her on stage doing alot of dancing while she sings.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/07 at 6:55 pm

Well, I wouldn't mind all of that if this "Live Earth" was going to make a damn bit of difference to improve global warming.  But it won't.

I agree with Al Gore on the science.  I thought his film was worthwhile, and it didn't bother me that he was jetting around as the VP with the message.

Well, at least Al Gore's son puts his money where his mouth is.

When he goes out on a drug run, he drives an earth-friendly Toyota Prius.

;D

Written By: Davester on 07/07/07 at 7:28 pm

;D

Except for the perscription drugs, it's not that bad.  At least he was speeding in a Prius.  Smoking marijuana only releases the carbon that was captured in growing it, so it does not result in a net increase of greenhouse gasses...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/07 at 9:36 pm

;D

Now, now.  Let not the sins of the son be visited upon the father!
:P

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/07 at 12:22 am

What I really saw was not up to much.

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/07 at 12:29 am

What was awesome about Live Earth was that you could go to like 5 different channels to see 5 different feeds of the concert.  I couldn't find the London feed. I wanted to see Genesis.  They showed a clip of them singing 'Invisible Touch' via a jumbotron on the New York feed, but I wanted more :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/07 at 12:30 am

I saw her playing the guitar, and I was like WTF.  I had no idea she did that.  I thought she just usually sang and danced when on stage

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/07 at 12:32 am

I saw her playing the guitar, and I was like WTF.  I had no idea she did that.  I thought she just usually sang and danced when on stage
Her guitar playing was basic, chords and at one point the playing of the bottom bass string.

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/07 at 12:38 am

Her guitar playing was basic, chords and at one point the playing of the bottom bass string.

She's no Clapton, that's for sure lol
She looked real comfortable holding that guitar.  She could end up being the next Clapton

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/07 at 12:44 am

She looked real comfortable holding that guitar.  She could end up being the next Clapton
There is only one Eric Clapton, btw, where was he yesterday, did he play at any the concerts?

Written By: Nicky Bain on 07/08/07 at 12:55 am

she holds the guitar like any other prop on stage

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/07 at 1:06 am

Except for the perscription drugs, it's not that bad.  At least he was speeding in a Prius.  Smoking marijuana only releases the carbon that was captured in growing it, so it does not result in a net increase of greenhouse gasses...

I know about greenhouse gas, but have you ever had greenhouse grass?  Dayum!
;)

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/08/07 at 4:56 am

I only watched Bon Jovi and Madonna perform. This was the first time I saw Madonna play guitar during a live performance. I thought it looked cool! She had a lot of great moves, too. Bon Jovi wasn't too bad, either.  :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/08/07 at 5:43 am

"Bollocks to that! The last thing the planet needs is a rock concert."

Everyone knows about climate change, whether they believe it or not. The concert just reads like a publicity stunt for the artists to parade about and pretend to care about climate change for an hour or so.

Basically, I agree with what Max said on Page 1

Written By: Satish on 07/08/07 at 8:49 pm

I can't believe Madonna used the f- word during her performance on stage. She called the crowd "motherf-ers".

Eeeagghh!.... I thought that was rather inappropriate.

Written By: woops on 07/08/07 at 9:11 pm

Well, that's Madonna  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/07 at 1:24 am

I can't believe Madonna used the f- word during her performance on stage. She called the crowd "motherf-ers".

My local radio station is discussing the swearing that went on by the pop stars in the Live Earth Concert. At the time of the boardcast it was afternoon with young children watching or listening. The BBC the boardcaster refused to have a time delay for it would lose the spontaneity.

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/07 at 2:16 am

Channels here that broadcasted the concert had a parental discretion advisory as it was a live event and anything can happen

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/07 at 2:19 am

Channels here that broadcasted the concert had a parental discretion advisory as it was a live event and anything can happen
Regarding the swearing, the same happened with that Live 8 Concert two years ago, surely the BBC learned it's lesson back then?

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/07 at 2:30 am

Regarding the swearing, the same happened with that Live 8 Concert two years ago, surely the BBC learned it's lesson back then?

Whenever a live show takes place, there is always bound to be atleast one cussword, and if networks do a tape delay, it takes away from the "Live" impact.  I remember hearing a few X words during Live 8

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/07 at 6:02 am

Whenever a live show takes place, there is always bound to be atleast one cussword, and if networks do a tape delay, it takes away from the "Live" impact.  I remember hearing a few X words during Live 8
A few 'X' words during Live 8? There was more than plenty!

Written By: Gis on 07/09/07 at 9:50 am

Really? We thought she looked uncomfortable 'playing' the guitar. Also as himself pointed out, and he is a smoking hot guitarist, she was *definatly* not playing on her guitar the guitar chords you were hearing!!
She has had guitar lessons in the last year apparently.
Other than that it was a storming show though it was like a couple of tramps got up on stage with her and took over the song at one point. ;D

The Foo Fighters were awesome as ever.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/07 at 10:09 am

Really? We thought she looked uncomfortable 'playing' the guitar. Also as himself pointed out, and he is a smoking hot guitarist, she was *definatly* not playing on her guitar the guitar chords you were hearing!!
She has had guitar lessons in the last year apparently.
Other than that it was a storming show though it was like a couple of tramps got up on stage with her and took over the song at one point. ;D

The Foo Fighters were awesome as ever.  8)
I was watching Channel 4 when the Foo Fighters were on.

Written By: Lindee on 07/09/07 at 10:14 am

Very  true.

Written By: Satish on 07/09/07 at 10:06 pm

My favourite part of the event was seeing that band Nanutak play from Antarctica! There's a group of scientists who live all alone in a remote research station in the Antarctic who've apparently formed a band called Nanutak in their spare time! They showed the band standing outdoors on top of a glacier while playing a song they wrote themselves. It was just so cute seeing those penguins crawling down the nearby mountains!

Just take a look at it here:
http://entimg.msn.com/i/ExperienceData/p1-7/us/x.htm?sh=LiveEarth&ep=le_other&ch=0

Written By: KKay on 07/09/07 at 10:49 pm

there was no advertising.

nothing in the news or on the radio.  i heard about this concert when i heard it on the radio, live.

who knew?!  no billboards in NY or anything.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/07 at 10:58 pm

First it was sex with strangers on Brazilian beaches, then it was religion and children's books, now it's calling the audience M-F's.  She's a crackpot.  I still think she's got a lot of talent.  But she's off her rocker!
:D

Written By: Davester on 07/09/07 at 11:00 pm

I know about greenhouse gas, but have you ever had greenhouse grass?  Dayum!
;)

Only when I eat Mexican food...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/10/07 at 7:38 pm

Only when I eat Mexican food...

I'm not sure I know what you mean and I'm not sure I want to be sure!

Written By: Davester on 07/10/07 at 11:13 pm

I'm not sure I know what you mean and I'm not sure I want to be sure!

Oops, I misread that...

Greenhouse grass, not gas...

Silly... :D

Check for new replies or respond here...