inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s similar to the 80s?

Written By: popking on 07/13/07 at 4:01 pm

Does anyone think that the 2000s seem similar to the 1980s? The economy isn't as good, we're at war, and a lot of the similarity probably is nothing more than 80s nostalgia, but the overall narcassism and excess of the culture is reminiscent of the 80s.

Gwen Stefani and Christina Aguilara's image reinventions are definitely reminiscent of artistic irony, which Madonna pretty much invented in the 80s.

Subject: Re: 2000s similar to the 80s?

Written By: JohnDoe on 07/13/07 at 6:04 pm

Does anyone think that the 2000s seem similar to the 1980s? The economy isn't as good, we're at war, and a lot of the similarity probably is nothing more than 80s nostalgia, but the overall narcassism and excess of the culture is reminiscent of the 80s.

Gwen Stefani and Christina Aguilera's image reinventions are definitely reminiscent of artistic irony, which Madonna pretty much invented in the 80s.

Coincidentally enough, Gwen Stefani is distantly related to Madonna

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/13/07 at 6:48 pm

I actually thought of this not too long ago. Heiresses of rich families have now grown up and are causing another wave in the ultra rich attitudes that spawned shows such as "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous" back in the '80s. Very flashy things are back in style, metallics in gold, silver and bronze, bling bling, gold teeth. We're at war, although a much more controversial war at that. People do seem to be living larger than their means than if they had been living 15-10 years ago.

Yet, the '80s seem to have more heart than we have now. Things seemed somewhat more humbling because kids didn't have cell phones, internet, MP3 players, etc. Things seemed more simple.

The 2000's is like a much more exaggerated form of the '80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/07 at 7:51 pm

Both have a technological and monetary obsession, probably even moreso now. There's some limited mainstream '80s influence on pop culture (Gwen is like the new Cyndi Lauper in a way), but I almost see the '00s as being a new '70s for its gritty, violent and urban nature; a new '80s for the glorification of money and tech; with the crappier roots of the '90s being mixed in with some new stuff (i.e. Emo).

Written By: popking on 07/13/07 at 9:09 pm

Yeah I'd say the 2000s are on odd decade because its very multifaceted unlike other others (70s, 80s etc) Theres not just one trend going on and instead the 2000s appear to be more of a recap/summarization of the last 30 years.

Believe it or not. we're already entering the earliest stages of a transition culturally into the next decade, at the same time it did in the 80s (1987/88 being the real tipping point). This is a process that will complete around 2013. (also corresponding to the time the 90s became mainstream in 1993) Already we're seeing the affects, with the extreme negative publicity and controversy of Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan, Ms. Spears basically falling off the face of the earth, 50 Cent and Kelly Clarkson declining in popularity along with American Idol, glam rap on the decline, emo entering a decline, snap rap having worn off at about 2006, CD sales declining rapidly in the midst of a transition to all-digital downloads, and YouTube and Myspace being virtually mainstream/establishment.

As its happened in the late 60s, the late 70s, the late 80s, and the late 90s, we've reached that point where you can begin to "feel" the changes. Some say decades define themselves at the end, but its really just a transition and the setting of the groundwork of the next decade. The disco of 1977 was a precursor to the new wave of 1983.

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/07 at 10:49 pm

Kelly Clarkson declining in popularity along with American Idol

When did Kelly Clarkson or American Idol fade in popularity? ???

Clarkson has been popular for the longest time now.  Her latest album is in the Top 5 in many countries, and she currently has 2 songs on the charts ('Never Again' and the re-make of 'Because of You' featuring Reba McIntyre)

Written By: popking on 07/13/07 at 10:53 pm

When did Kelly Clarkson or American Idol fade in popularity? ???

Clarkson has been popular for the longest time now.  Her latest album is in the Top 5 in many countries, and she currently has 2 songs on the charts ('Never Again' and the re-make of 'Because of You' featuring Reba McIntyre)

She also fired her management, and cancelled her whole tour. While the album is doing decent, it is nothing compared to 2004's Breakaway. Many industry analysists  predicted lackluster sales of the album and they were right in their assumptions.

Kelly's first single "Never Again" was not catching on with the radio stations. She's gone from hero to zero in about 3 months, frankly I think she's suffering from the whole Britney/Lindsay/Paris fatigue.

As for American Idol, the season finale ratings were down sharply from last year's 2006 peak. Most people believe the show has run its course. Their right, its becoming a caricature of itself (it always was ;)) But now especially its past its prime.

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/07 at 11:04 pm

While the album is doing decent, it is nothing compared to 2004's Breakaway. Many industry analysists  predicted lackluster sales of the album and they were right in their assumptions.

Her latest album just came out a few weeks ago.  You can't expect it to sell like 20 million this fast

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/07 at 11:18 pm

Idol is such a phenomenon, I think while its "hot" period might've been about 2003-'06, it's been a big enough success to not just go away. Right now it's signed to another 3 years, so it'll at least make '09 even if they don't sign a new contract. It has alot more critical respect now too.

Written By: popking on 07/14/07 at 12:38 am

Her latest album just came out a few weeks ago.  You can't expect it to sell like 20 million this fast

I'm saying its not gonna sell half what her last album did even 2 years after its been released, and that she's past her peak of popularity, she's fading now.

It wouldn't sell 20 million now anyway, not the way CD sales are these days.

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 12:58 am

I'm saying its not gonna sell half what her last album did even 2 years after its been released, and that she's past her peak of popularity, she's fading now.

It wouldn't sell 20 million now anyway, not the way CD sales are these days.

How do you know that though?  I've seen zero evidence anywhere that she is fading in popularity

Written By: popking on 07/14/07 at 2:08 am

read Star magazine or any newspaper article in the last 4 or 5 weeks and you'll see a different story.

I mean I don't know anything for total concrete fact, and I don't expect her to go away for a couple years or so, but I believe she has definitely peaked.

Oh and by the way, her new management is Nashville based, and Kelly Clarkson said in a recent interview that she wanted her next album to be a mix of blues and country, so Kelly is indeed going country. And that means less popularity on the whole. Carrie Underwood wasn't that big, except in certain quarters.

There's just a lot of stuff thats happened that suggests a decline in popularity, Breakaway was definitely her apex.

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 2:11 am

read Star magazine or any newspaper article in the last 4 or 5 weeks and you'll see a different story.

Ah yes the Tabloids .. they check and re-check their facts.  Did you know Elvis came back from the dead to claim he was the father of Anna Nicole's baby? :D

Written By: popking on 07/14/07 at 11:23 am

Ah yes the Tabloids .. they check and re-check their facts.  Did you know Elvis came back from the dead to claim he was the father of Anna Nicole's baby? :D

their right on some things. Kelly's album has gotten mixed reviews too. SHE'S OVER! ;D There i said it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/14/07 at 11:24 am

I think that the 2000's is like a mix of the 80's and early 90's, but then again the early 90's was basically an extention of the 80's. The characteristics of this decade that reminds me of the early 90's specifically are the recession, the war in Iraq, and a president named Bush. The things that remind me of the 80's are as other posters mentioned materialism and excess, and pop-cultural cheese, and the trends, chothes styles, etc.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/14/07 at 10:54 pm

I mean I don't know anything for total concrete fact, and I don't expect her to go away for a couple years or so, but I believe she has definitely peaked.

Oh and by the way, her new management is Nashville based, and Kelly Clarkson said in a recent interview that she wanted her next album to be a mix of blues and country, so Kelly is indeed going country. And that means less popularity on the whole. Carrie Underwood wasn't that big, except in certain quarters.

There's just a lot of stuff thats happened that suggests a decline in popularity, Breakaway was definitely her apex.

What?  :o Isn't her album 2nd to Breakaway for best selling Idol album?

Written By: whistledog on 07/15/07 at 12:20 am

Carrie Underwood's album 'Some Hearts' went #1 across North America, and has been declared by Billboard Magazine as the best selling debut album of any American Idol finalist.  It has been certified 6x Platinum in America, sold over 7 million copies world-wide and has been in the charts consecutively for over 80 weeks.  It spawned 6 hits across North America (4 US Top 40 / 5 Canadian Top 40) and her recent non-album single 'I'll Stand By You' went into the US Top 10

The numbers speak for themselves

Written By: Brian06 on 07/15/07 at 12:21 am

Carrie Underwood's album 'Some Hearts' went #1 across North America, and has been declared by Billboard Magazine as the best selling debut album of any American Idol finalist.  It has been certified 6x Platinum in America, sold over 7 million copies world-wide and has been in the charts consecutively for over 80 weeks.  It spawned 6 hits (4 US Top 40 / 5 Canadian Top 40) and her recent non-album single 'I'll Stand By You' went into the US Top 10

The numbers speak for themselves

I'd say that 6x platinum especially with today's record sales, is pretty darn big.

Written By: popking on 07/15/07 at 3:21 pm

I'd say that 6x platinum especially with today's record sales, is pretty darn big.

Wow, I'll have to check those numbers. I didn't know to be honest.

Yeah I see that, 6X platinum, I'll rephrase, they'll both continue to have successful careers, for a few years anyway. I still think they'll truely fade around 2010, I predicted a bit early. But I'm just speculating. A lot of this board is speculation, which is fun and all.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/16/07 at 1:02 pm

What about Fantasia and Ruben Studdard? They are good, but Fantasia was never my favorite that season. Her voice reminds me too much of Macy Grays. Ruben's is nice, and he could be a nice replacement for the passed on Luther Vandross.

Written By: packerhawk24 on 07/16/07 at 10:34 pm

The 00's are like the demonic spawn of the 80's and the 30's, with a slight bit of the 70's thrown in.

Hedonism, decadence, ludicrous excess, huge gap between rich and poor, worship of the rich and brain-dead no-talent "celebrities", strip-mined "service" economy, conformity combined with bizarre outbreaks of insane puritanism, real economic problems particularly in the North and West (in the US), foreign policy backfiring and an overall sense of oncoming doom.....yeah, that's the 00's.

Written By: Haynsoul on 07/17/07 at 5:10 pm

The 00's are like the demonic spawn of the 80's and the 30's, with a slight bit of the 70's thrown in.

Hedonism, decadence, ludicrous excess, huge gap between rich and poor, worship of the rich and brain-dead no-talent "celebrities", strip-mined "service" economy, conformity combined with bizarre outbreaks of insane puritanism, real economic problems particularly in the North and West (in the US), foreign policy backfiring and an overall sense of oncoming doom.....yeah, that's the 00's.

Can't wait for World War III. Maybe swing music will come back during that period.  :D

Written By: Brian06 on 07/17/07 at 5:11 pm

Is it really that bad? lol.

Written By: fusefan on 07/17/07 at 5:52 pm

Right now people may be saying this, but 20 years from now people will say how much nicer things were in general in the 00s than they are in the 20s. And complain about how music, tv,  and movies hasn't been good since 2018 or whatever and blah blah blah. I can see it now...  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...