inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Robot Virus

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/07 at 10:22 pm

Not sure if 2000s is the right place to post this:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/robot.asp

I received this piece of spam warning me about the "worm epidemic." I deleted it.  The telltale signs are instantly obvious to anybody who has been online for a while.  The sender is generically identifed, in this case "Customer Support Center."  The copy contains one or more misspelled words ("adress").  This unidentified "administrator" is asking you to download a "patch." 

As sure as the sky is blue, this indicates you're about to download the worm!
::)

It's tantamount to a burglar impersonating a patrol officer.

Here's another I like:

"Want to block junk mail?  Click here."

That one's a pop-up.  I use control-alt-delete and end the task from task manager.

Subject: Re: Robot Virus

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/07 at 10:43 pm

That's how you know it's a virus or something you don't really want to open.  You would think a Customer Support Centre would send you e-mail only if you sent them an e-mail first.

Sometimes when I open an e-mail, or even certain websites I've surfed into, I get a pop-up saying I need to download some sort of patch or add-on tool to read the e-mail or to be able to view the webpage.  That's like the laziest virus attempt ever, cause you have to download it in order for it to work, and there's not enough morons in the world who would do that for the virus to spread world-wide

Written By: annonymouse on 07/13/07 at 10:56 pm

That's how you know it's a virus or something you don't really want to open.  You would think a Customer Support Centre would send you e-mail only if you sent them an e-mail first.

Sometimes when I open an e-mail, or even certain websites I've surfed into, I get a pop-up saying I need to download some sort of patch or add-on tool to read the e-mail or to be able to view the webpage.  That's like the laziest virus attempt ever, cause you have to download it in order for it to work, and there's not enough morons in the world who would do that for the virus to spread world-wide

oh, i beg to differ. there are quite a few idiots in the world.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/14/07 at 5:29 pm

Great, the robots are about to take over.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/07 at 1:09 am

oh, i beg to differ. there are quite a few idiots in the world.

Uh yuh, you got that right!

You can gauge the number of idiots online by the number of Nigerian help-send-money scams you get emailed every day!
:P

Several times I got an email from "manager@yahoo.com" saying, "Your Yahoo mail account is about to be closed due to improper usage. To remedy this situation please download the attached pdf file."
How think do you dumb I am?
When Yahoo administrators send you an email, they use the special Yahoo icon, and if there was a problem with your account, they wouldn't require you to download an attachment.  I mean, the whole thing was so incalculably lame I couldn't believe anybody would try to pull it off.

Written By: Gis on 07/15/07 at 5:51 am

Yeah stupid people or kids. My friend at work's daughter completely killed their home computer because the firewall was blocking an email attachment so she switched the firewall off so she could see what the attachment was!  ::)                       

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/07 at 5:55 am

Yeah stupid people or kids. My friend at work's daughter completely killed their home computer because the firewall was blocking an email attachment so she switched the firewall off so she could see what the attachment was!  ::)                       
Ah bless!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...