inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tank rampage crushes phone masts

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/14/07 at 5:52 am

A man has been arrested in Sydney after phone masts were destroyed during a 90-minute rampage in a privately owned armoured personnel carrier.

John Robert Patterson, 45, allegedly smashed six properties including an electrical substation in a path of destruction through six suburbs.

Police followed the restored tank in a sedately paced chase until it stalled.

Read more here.

Subject: Re: Tank rampage crushes phone masts

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/14/07 at 10:18 am

I thought I had gone back in time watching this on tonights news.

I cant remember the exact year (will have to do some research) but it was late 70s or very early 80s - when a guy did exactly the same thing here in Perth. And he did it right in the middle of the CBD if my memory serves me correctly.

With this current one - the owner of the stolen tank is devestated. He shipped it here from overseas and spent a fortune restoring it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/14/07 at 11:37 am

It also happened in San Diego sometime in the 90's.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/14/07 at 12:47 pm

It also happened in San Diego sometime in the 90's.

That was in 1995.  The driver was finally killed after he got hung up on a freeway barrier.  I was in LA at the time and remember hearing about it on the radio as it was happening.  That chase involved an M-60 tank taken from a National Guard armory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kG2kOhQVX4

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/07 at 8:43 pm

That was in 1995.  The driver was finally killed after he got hung up on a freeway barrier.  I was in LA at the time and remember hearing about it on the radio as it was happening.  That chase involved an M-60 tank taken from a National Guard armory.

I remember that.  News Coverage of it was everywhere.  It's a good thing no one got hurt, though the way that lunatic was driving, it's somewhat amazing no one (except himself) got hurt

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/07 at 1:02 am

I figure if you're gonna steal a vehicle and go on a rampage, steal a tank!  As Manson said, "Leave something witchy, let 'em know you been there!"  But stay off of highway barriers.  What a dumbass.  The cops opened the hatch, the driver just said hello and kept firing the artillery.  So the cop had to blow his brains out point-blank. 
:o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/16/07 at 5:53 pm

I also remember a few years back where this guy in Colorado had some beef with the city officials in his small town over some zoning issues, so he encased his bulldozer in several tons of concrete and steel (making it virtually invincible) and proceeded to demolish half the town. His motor finally gave out and he wound up killing himself before the cops could get inside.

Written By: spaceace on 07/16/07 at 6:05 pm

Can I have a tank for Christmas???  If I'm gonna get busted for something I'd rather it be remembered. :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/17/07 at 12:54 am

Can I have a tank for Christmas???  If I'm gonna get busted for something I'd rather it be remembered. :)

Only on the condition that I throw a couple bottles of Jack Daniels in as well.

If you're going to go on a maniacal rampage in a 60-ton tank, you'd might as well get into the spirit of things.  ;)

Written By: spaceace on 07/17/07 at 9:55 am

Only on the condition that I throw a couple bottles of Jack Daniels in as well.

If you're going to go on a maniacal rampage in a 60-ton tank, you'd might as well get into the spirit of things.  ;)

Absolutely, I wouldn't want to have a shed of conscious whilst on my rampage.

Check for new replies or respond here...