inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Playstaion 2 - the NES of the 00's?

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/14/07 at 11:36 am

Much like how almost every kid, teen, and young adult back in the 80's had a Nintendo Entertainment System, it seems that it is the same way with the current generation with the PS2. I finally bought mine earlier this year. The Nintendo Gamecube is a great system, but it was no where near as popular as it's ancester the NES, even with the Super Mario and Zelda franchises, and it certainly wasn't as popular as the PS2. Some of the greatest video games of this decade came out over the last few years, mostly for the PS2. My favorites include God of War I & II, Prince of Persia I-III, and GTA San Andreas. 

Subject: Re: Playstaion 2 - the NES of the 00's?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/14/07 at 5:30 pm

Pretty much.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/14/07 at 6:42 pm

Yeah, it seems to have lasted the longest out of all the other semi recent systems. Even more than the PS One. It's probably past its peak now, but popular enough to still have people discovering and playing it for some time. The NES probably started its decline when the Super Nintendo came out in 1991, but residually stayed around until the mid '90s.

The PS2's peak was about 2001-2004 and will probably hang on until maybe 2009 or the early '10s.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/14/07 at 9:46 pm

Much like how almost every kid, teen, and young adult back in the 80's had a Nintendo Entertainment System, it seems that it is the same way with the current generation with the PS2. I finally bought mine earlier this year. The Nintendo Gamecube is a great system, but it was no where near as popular as it's ancester the NES, even with the Super Mario and Zelda franchises, and it certainly wasn't as popular as the PS2. Some of the greatest video games of this decade came out over the last few years, mostly for the PS2. My favorites include God of War I & II, Prince of Persia I-III, and GTA San Andreas.   

no, the NES had no competition.

Written By: whistledog on 07/15/07 at 12:42 am

no, the NES had no competition.

The original 8-Bit NES had competition via the Sega Master System.  Nintendo was the winner, but as the 90s came, the Sega Genesis buired the NES deep lol

Written By: annonymouse on 07/15/07 at 1:53 am

The original 8-Bit NES had competition via the Sega Master System.  Nintendo was the winner, but as the 90s came, the Sega Genesis buired the NES deep lol

you're right. what i meant to say was that nintendo had no REAL competition!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/15/07 at 8:27 am

I think Nintendo basically was king and stood on its own from 1986/'87 to 1991. When GameBoy and especially the Super Nintendo came out (which had, for its time, realistic graphics and more detailed play control), it began to decline slowly. Although it was still huge enough to retain decent popularity through about 1995. Even in the late '90s I still saw some people playing it on a regular basis.

It lasted almost a decade, which you wouldn't see now, although the PS2 has come the closest.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/15/07 at 3:39 pm

I think Nintendo basically was king and stood on its own from 1986/'87 to 1991. When GameBoy and especially the Super Nintendo came out (which had, for its time, realistic graphics and more detailed play control), it began to decline slowly. Although it was still huge enough to retain decent popularity through about 1995. Even in the late '90s I still saw some people playing it on a regular basis.

It lasted almost a decade, which you wouldn't see now, although the PS2 has come the closest.

I think the PS2's popularity may wind up lasting for 10 years before its all said and done. It's already been out for about 7 years, and is still selling relatively well today. I could easily see it lasting until 2010 or so, even though I think its popularity will begin to die out pretty seriously the rest of this year.

There are alot of comparisons between the PS2 and NES, like for the most part, neither had any serious competition in there respective console generations. Neither Microsoft or Nintendo really had a chance of matching the sales of the PS2.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/15/07 at 9:20 pm

The PSP and the PS3 are like the equivalent of Game Boy and Super Nintedo, respectively. Just like back then, how the Game Boy was the portable version of the NES, the PSP was the portable version of PS2. Much like Super NES, the PS3 is the succeeding generation with better graphics, but declining in popularity compared to it's predecessor. In the current generation of game systems, the Xbox 360 seems to be the most popular much like how Sega Genesis was the most popular of the generation of 16-bit systems.

Check for new replies or respond here...